Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

institute of education

• 03-11-2013 1:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hey guys I just finished my jc back in summer and to be brutally honest didn't put a lot of effort in because I wasn't getting very worked up over a jc result and in the school I was in they didn't take much to the jc they even mocked it and told us how irrelevant it was so as you could imagine not too many people took interest or were remotely motivated! I went into ty on contract but left by mutual consent in the end,
    I'm going back to school to do my LC and I'm really focused on just working solid till the exams because if I want to work and put in the effort I can, I definitely have my sights on going to the institute and money isn't an issue at all to me, I'm just afraid I put my chances in jeproady because of my under performance in the jc and I just wanted to know what the interview and everything else in general is like? Any help or feedback would be much appreciated

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

You pay money. They take you. It's a business, not a school. They won't be turning money away.

If you don't do well, they will blame where you were before. If you do well, they will say it's because of their marvellous teachers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,706 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

The interview is just a formality, to make it seem like they're really exclusive. But as spurious send, they just see money. A lad who was in my school went there for 6th year, and he was the biggest pikey I've ever met, and he passed the interviews and everything decked out in tracksuits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 404 ✭✭DepoProvera

As above have said, as long as you have the money and declare everything such as suspensions/expulsions etc you won't have trouble getting in.

But don't listen to spurious, he blindly posts unsubstantiated ****e about the place at any opportunity. Stop frothing at the mouth at so called 'grind schools'.

How can someone criticise going from a school where teachers don't show up half the time, classes are filled by watching My Left Foot for the nth time and the want to learn deemed a negative thing to going to an environment where teachers actually care(whether it be due to their paycheques or not) and you can learn unfettered.

The only criticism of this that is valid is that some students can not afford to go. However, the goal should not be elimination of schools like the Institute but making schools across the country more like the Institute.( I say this in a broad sense as there are clearly schools that are as good as or better)

As with any school, you're going to get what you put in. Students can get 625 points in their local school just as they can in the institute. Conversely, students can fail in the Institute just as they can in their local school. If you feel(without making excuses) that the environment in your school isn't conducive to learning, then maybe give the Institute a try.

Shït is about to go down.

*gets popcorn*

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I have no problem if people want to go to a business like the Institute instead of a school, or pay 400 euro for a shirt that does the same thing as one for 20 euro. It's their money.

The OP was worried about the entrance interview. He/she need not be. I hope he/she gets the course they want.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

But don't listen to spurious, he blindly posts unsubstantiated ****e about the place at any opportunity. Stop frothing at the mouth at so called 'grind schools'.

Hmm..
    spurious wrote: »
    If you don't do well, they will blame where you were before. If you do well, they will say it's because of their marvellous teachers.

My interpretation of this part of spurious' post is that how well a student does really depends on them and not the school.
    As with any school, you're going to get what you put in. Students can get 625 points in their local school just as they can in the institute. Conversely, students can fail in the Institute just as they can in their local school.

I think you just agreed with her there..

I think we can all acknowledge that there are some cases where certain students have issues with some teachers, other students or the environment of the school itself and want to move to a different school.

Boourns spurious, you're no fun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

As above have said, as long as you have the money and declare everything such as suspensions/expulsions etc you won't have trouble getting in.
    So you basically agree with spurious and _tyrrell_ then?
    I see neither unsubstantiated shoite nor frothing at the mouth.

The institute is a commercial entity, a business. They charge through the nose (you should know that) and they aren't going to refuse someone based on their JC results who can afford to pay those fees. You acknowledge that yourself.

It is a grind school / crammer, there's no so-called about it. Judged purely as such, it's a pretty good one. It should be at that price.

Its focus is purely on maximising points, not on education. Admittedly, in doing so it exploits flaws in the existing system of admission to third level, which is a bigger and broader issue.

It still won't and can't guarantee you your dream course. If I remember correctly, you know that as well.
    How can someone criticise going from a school where teachers don't show up half the time, classes are filled by watching My Left Foot for the nth time and the want to learn deemed a negative thing to going to an environment where teachers actually care(whether it be due to their paycheques or not) and you can learn unfettered.
    I am sorry that you were so unlucky in your last school. Not everyone is. I went to a local school which didn't charge me a penny in fees; which had great teachers with literally one exception; which believed in a rounded education and put huge effort into ensuring that we got it, including a wide range of extra-curricular activities involving a high level of voluntary effort by staff; and I walked out with enough points for medicine if I had wanted to do it.

And yes, that's just my story, not everybody's. But then, yours is just your story, not everybody's. I suspect most people's story lies somewhere between the two.
    The only criticism of this that is valid is that some students can not afford to go.
    Don't you think "the vast majority of students" would be more accurate there?
    However, the goal should not be elimination of schools like the Institute but making schools across the country more like the Institute.( I say this in a broad sense as there are clearly schools that are as good as or better)
    I will definitely join you in wishing for improvements in those schools which, for one reason or another, are poor. Personally, I would have a major problem with using the Institute as a model though.

Mr.S wrote: »
    Why is the Institute not a school?
    To my way of thinking (as I've addressed in my previous post) a school has a focus on broad education, not just on maximising points.

Spurious may have a different way of looking at it, it's not my intention to answer for her, simply give my own view.
    Mr.S wrote: »
    Sure then you could just call all 3rd level colleges "Businesses" by your logic!
    On what grounds? :confused:

Only the private colleges like Griffith operate on a "for profit" basis.

I'd call it a business, because it's main goal is to make as much money as it can. Unlike a normal school which will provide extra curricular activities and social education classes, it's just a grinds school. You come in for the lessons you choose to learn and that's it.

As I said, it's main goal is profit, much like Griffith College and Dublin Business School. All private entities that are registered as companies as well as educational facilities IIRC.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 S.T.I.D

Thanks for the feedback put my mind to ease a fair bit, was just wondering anyone who has actually gone to the institute can let me know how it is and and I know about the applicatons and the open day for it already, but when do they start interviewing people and when do they let you know when you've been accepted or not?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭eyescreamcone

The IOE offers a service to it's customers.

Nobody is forced to attend there.

Everybody enters into this agreement with their eyes wide open.

There is nothing underhand going on.

The IOE offers a service to it's customers.

Nobody is forced to attend there.

Everybody enters into this agreement with their eyes wide open.

There is nothing underhand going on.
    Um ... who actually disagreed with any of those statements?

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭positivealf

School is meant to give you knowledge? I doubt it, up until 2nd year the teachers just try and get you focused on doing well in exams(perhaps it only happens in my school). Personally I think there's a lot to be done with the system.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 209 ✭✭yoho139

Depends on the teacher. That's not really a matter for this particular post though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 CianMulvihill

Agree completely with Spurious here — I finished the LC not too long ago and I had done the Institute 'interview' they are, bottom line, focused on profits and student outcomes are viewed as such. There are a lot of high quality student resources coming on stream now that give tutoring and grinds specifically directed at the Leaving Cert, for nothing. People like ALISON in Galway are focused on a social mission and have developed http://alison.com/projectmaths/ to provide for Leaving Cert students sitting the new curriculum for absolutely no cost. There are alternatives to the Institute that you can use for free - even Khan Academy has useful maths resources - I'd recommend them ahead of it!

Advertisement