Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin living

Options
  • 03-11-2013 1:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hello!

I'm relocating to Dublin for work and my job will be in donnybrook near the rugby stadium. I've been looking up house shares on daft in this area and it seems I could be spending at least €550 per month before bills! (For a house share I feel this is too expensive)..

Does anyone know of cheaper places to live that would be close to here or somewhere that is easily accessible to donnybrook via luas or bus?

Any hints or tips would be so appreciated...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

Kealy13 this is the perfect opportunity to learn about the available transport links to your work place.
    When I was renting I would search the available transport links for my work location and then work backwards, so if the number 15 bus stopped near the office I would then head off to Dublinbus.ie and check out their routes and search on daft for house shares along that route.

You have to consider how long a commute you would like, and of course if you want to be close to the city centre or on a night link route for nights out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭DoozerT6

Kealy13 wrote: »
    Hello!

I'm relocating to Dublin for work and my job will be in donnybrook near the rugby stadium. I've been looking up house shares on daft in this area and it seems I could be spending at least €550 per month before bills! (For a house share I feel this is too expensive)..

Does anyone know of cheaper places to live that would be close to here or somewhere that is easily accessible to donnybrook via luas or bus?

I would agree with the previous poster - remember OP, Donnybrook is one of the more expensive areas of Dublin to be looking for accommodation :) you could find a room in a decent house share for much less than €550 per month if you are prepared to live somewhere further out within reasonable commuting distance. Again, decide on your priorities: proximity to Dublin city centre/nightlife will again bring up the price of shared accommodation. If you decide to live close to work and the city centre (Donnybrook being reasonably close), unfortunately you will have to pay that bit more :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

Hello!

That's the price for that general area of Dublin 4 and Dublin 6. You will get cheaper if you want to live out in the sticks but then you will pay commuting costs and waste time on buses/Dart etc.
    Why not give a good search Sandymount/Ranelagh/Milltown and have a nice pleasant walk in each morning?.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Irishtown and Ringsend are also close and having lived in both areas I can't fault them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

You could save maybe a hundred euro renting elsewhere. But buses in Dublin are expensive and quite slow. A bike ride is often quicker. It might just be cheaper to live in Donnybrook when you take into account transport costs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Simply find a flat in the city centre ,or along the luas route ,
    thats within walking distance of a luas stop that goes to
    donnybrook,
    maybe a bedroom in a 2 bed apartment for rent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭messrs

Hello!

how long are you prepared to commute each morning/evening? have you access to bike, could you rent along canal somewhere and maybe cycle to work each morning? do you want to be close to city centre for shopping/nights out?

IN general rents are more expensive in most area,s of the southside.
    vs the northside.
    Even if the flat size, is the same .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

riclad wrote: »
    IN general rents are cheaper in most area,s of the southside.
    vs the northside.
    Even if the flat size, is the same .

I would've said the opposite is true ...

IN general rents are more expensive in most area,s of the southside.
    vs the northside.

Is this Dublin you are talking about? Don't believe this for one second. Having lived both north and south of the Liffey I can safely say that southside is more expensive in general.

• Advertisement

I made a catastrophic typing error,
    SO forgive me.i corrected it.
    to err is human.
    YES ,in general ,southside = higher rent.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭DoozerT6

Riclad has edited his post - southside is more expensive.

say ON batchelors walk flat ,northside flat might be 400 euros,
    A similar flat across the liffey Southside 400 yards away could be 500 euros per month.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Kealy13

That's great help thanks everyone.. At least now I have some names of areas to look up that are near and nice to live in! Im not very familiar with Dublin at all..

I'm looking for somewhere not too expensive yet in the city so I can access the nightlife cheaply! :) Seems like mission impossible!!

I know I should probably make another thread for this but il just ask anyway.Does anyone have experience with house shares? It's just that I'm nervous that if I pay up my deposit and end up hating the house or my flatmates or need to relocate again work wise that I cant leave as I wont get my deposit back? Is this how they usually work? Sorry if I sound stupid I'm just really new to this...

FIND out about your flatmates ,are they working full time,?
    what do they work at?
    are you talking about a 3bed house,
    shared 1 kitchen, bathroom
    or a house with say 7 tenants in it,
    subdivided into flats.?
    Where each person has a small bathroom ,with shower in it.

That's great help thanks everyone.. At least now I have some names of areas to look up that are near and nice to live in! Im not very familiar with Dublin at all..

I'm looking for somewhere not too expensive yet in the city so I can access the nightlife cheaply! :) Seems like mission impossible!!

I know I should probably make another thread for this but il just ask anyway.Does anyone have experience with house shares? It's just that I'm nervous that if I pay up my deposit and end up hating the house or my flatmates or need to relocate again work wise that I cant leave as I wont get my deposit back? Is this how they usually work? Sorry if I sound stupid I'm just really new to this...

Have you never lived out of home before?

Just have a chat with ALL the people you could potentially be living with. There is no surefire way o knowing what they will be like to live with but just go with your gut. To be honest you will probably find it hard enough to get a place so it could be that you might end up being happy just to get a room in a place that isn't 100% your ideal choice.

i know a landlord HAS 3 tenants ,they work
    9 yours mon-friday,
    You talk to the landlord, ask him questions,what age are they,
    male ,female ?
    what do they work at ?

MY tip female tenants tend to be quieter in general,
    or at least don,t drink much.
    You are unlikely to get a chance to chat to the co tenants before you
    move in.
    older tenants tend to be more quiet.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Simply find a flat in the city centre ,or along the luas route ,
    thats within walking distance of a luas stop that goes to
    donnybrook,
    maybe a bedroom in a 2 bed apartment for rent.

Be careful.
    Donnybrook isn't actually on the Luas- your nearest stop may be Ranelagh.

There are bus lanes entering and exiting Donnybrook- so buses aren't actually a bad idea- the no. 10 (which terminates at UCD) is probably ever 3-4 minutes at peak time.

You are seeking to rent in probably the most expensive part of the country- keep this in mind- if you don't want a small commute- you are going to pay for the pleasure of your D4 address.

GO to rent ie ,put in how much you can afford say 100 euro per week,
    see whats out there,
    also daft.ie for rent .
    MAybe find a flat thats close to a bus route that goes to donnybrook.

http://www.rent.ie/houses-to-let/renting_dublin/north-dublin-city/rent_0-450/

http://www.daft.ie/searchrental.daft?s%5Bcc_id%5D=roi&s%5Ba_id%5D%5B%5D=ct1&s%5Broute_id%5D=&s%5Ba_id_transport%5D=0&s%5Bstreet_name%5D=&s%

You,ll need at least 500 euro for a deposit.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

The more in the house share the more problems. People not paying their share of bills, using other people foodstuffs, wanting to have people stay over, not sharing cleaning etc. I would suggest look for an apartment share with one other. Even if you had to go out to Dundrum where there are some lovely apartment blocks you would still have the Luas in and walk from Ranelagh. 15 minutes will have you at Kielys Donnybrook as a rough marker.There is also a bus from Sandford Road to Dundrum

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭Valentine1

€550 for a house share in Donnybrook isn't all that bad compared to what you could be paying.

Stillorgan and Blackrock are areas that are a bit further out with decent transport links to Donnybrook but may not be an awful lot cheaper. If you want to live close to the city centre in a reasonable place its going to cost you!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 jayo1976

D4 will be expensive as other posters have pointed out, but it is a safe clean and nice area to live, especially if you are not used to Dublin! (i live there) and yes i pay more than €550 for my room! Im glad i paid the bit extra for the area. I would suggest checking out the stops on the luas line and bus routes close to your work and back tracking to see which areas you end up in then.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭khards

Re:Transport - have you considered a moped/small motorbike to commute on? I have a 125cc bike that does 120mpg and €68 per year tax. Far cheaper than paying overinflated rents or sitting in traffic behind carowners.

THERE,S loads of safe ,clean areas, apart from d4,
    the point is you want somewhere close to donnybrook bus route,
    thats not to far away .And within your budget.
    I,D much prefer to live in a small flat , than live in a house share ,
    and pay a little bit more for privacy.
    Depends on ,are you easy going,
    can you find good house mates.
    That are not too noisey.
    i shared a house with 2 swedish women for 1 year and they were
    extremely quiet,polite, and perfect housemates.
    the owner ,landlord lived in an extension ,beside the house.
    eg its not always ,easy to find, quiet ,clean housemates,
    usually 2 or 3 friends team up to rent a house ,or apartment.
    SO they are not complete strangers ,renting the same place.

Advertisement