Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

F.X Buckley

Options
  • 03-11-2013 1:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭

Always wondered whats the story with FX Buckley in Moore St. and Talbot St. Prices are regularly different in both, but yet they have the same prepacked in store meals/meats 3 for a €10 as well.

I recently joined the Privilege Club and logged in their website to see what the specials are this week and I see Moore St has a separate website to Talbot St. and Nutgrove. They also didn't accept my Privilege Club card in Moore St. but I presumed then it was only a Talbot Street club, it seems they are two different companies if they have different websites, prices etc.

Anyone able shine any light on how two seemingly separate companies have the same name trading so close to each other, selling same products etc? Also they seem to have the same packaging on their prepacked in store meals but this could be coincidence.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2 girdwood

M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

Price discrimination, it's legal afaik.
    They're under no obligation to sell at the same price point at different stores.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

I can understand different prices between nut grove and the inner city. But not two inner city shops within 10 mins walk of each other. Is the meat decent as my local butchers has gone to ****

hfallada wrote: »
    I can understand different prices between nut grove and the inner city. But not two inner city shops within 10 mins walk of each other. Is the meat decent as my local butchers has gone to ****
    Pretty good, I actually use them as my local because working in the city centre I rarely get to my actual local butcher.

And the two stores might have very different cost and customer bases. Really depends on what way they calculate their breakeven

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭wicklowwonder

Price discrimination, it's legal afaik.
    They're under no obligation to sell at the same price point at different stores.

Yeah understand pricing could be different as rents higher etc. but they have a Moore St. website http://www.fxbuckley.ie/history - with some restaurants they and then a Talbot St/Nutgrove website http://www.fxbuckleybutchers.ie and they don't accept the privilege card in Moore St. which is why I am wondering are they separate companies? It's just strange no mention of either of the other stores on the different websites. You think they would be promoting their other shops/restaurants on both sites if they are same company?

• Advertisement

hfallada wrote: »

Yeah really good meat in Talbot St and in Moore St, using them for two years and only once was I not impressed after cooking their meat and I said it the next time and they gave me some free chicken breasts for the trouble, I didn't even want anything free, just said the diced chicken I had last week was very, very fatty and he apologised and said he wouldn't charge me for the chicken this week.

http://www.solocheck.ie/search?location=on&companyName=f+x+buckley&numSearch=&dirName=

There does seem to be a couple of companies that are related via Directorships. Two of them seem to be operating as butchers, and a director in each has a directorship in the company behind the FXB restaurant but not a directorship in each others companies.
    You'd probably have to ask them to be certain, but it's conceivable that a family business (owned by the F.X father/grandfather?) was split up with each part retaining rights to the name rather than maintaining a single company.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭Uaru

They are different companies.

I called in yesterday and asked, yes they are two different companies but in the same family. As Sulla Felix suggested it seems to be an inheritance thing or something. Deansgrange, Nutgrove and Talbot St. are all the same company while the Moore St shop and the restaurants are grouped together as a separate company. He says it can cause confusion, I can confirm the meat is great in both Moore St. and Talbot St. Got some great striploin steaks - 25% off while in there as well. Awesome stuff!

Advertisement