Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are dog shoes a good idea?

• 03-11-2013 2:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭

I have a very active gsd and predominantly walk her on the road and pavements....

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭fatmammycat

Dog pads are tough, I cannot imagine any dog enjoying having shoes on their feet.

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭golden8

They are good in the right circumstances such as if there is snow and your walking on the pavements near treated deiced roads boots are great. Or if your walking your dog where there are hazards such as broken glass.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭thehouses

I have heard that salt can irritate their paws - but it is probably more practical to just wash their feet if they are showing any sign of irritation as most dogs will not take to them and I'd imagine they would take some getting used to (not to mention stares from other people). I wouldn't get them myself for a dog.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

Dogs actually need road work to keep their nails short. It has a natural filing effect. :D (That said, if a dog is only exercised on grass or restricted to a garden, taking them out for a long walk on pavement can make their pads really sore. Walking on hard ground toughens up the pads.)

Putting booties on your dog is a bit daft unless there's extreme weather or he has a paw injury.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 340 ✭✭The_Mask

Only during snow and icy conditions as it can cause the skin on their paws to crack

• Advertisement

I know people used them if the have laminate on their floors, to stop the dogs from slipping.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭fredweena

They would be a terrible idea in our house. My OH would definitely be too embarrassed to walk the dog so i'd be left with all the winter walking duties!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 434 ✭✭TheBoffin

My dog will only wear Nike. Got a pair of Hi-Tec for him and he had a fit!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

TheBoffin wrote: »

Such cruelty!
    I should report you to the ISPCA for this!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 638 ✭✭✭ferretone

TheBoffin wrote: »

Surely he'd need 2 pairs?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

ferretone wrote: »
    Surely he'd need 2 pairs?

Lol!
    Maybe it wasn't the brand that was the problem, but the fact that he only felt half dressed? :-p

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭juniord

if you have a boxer do you have to buy boxing boots ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Joking aside - shoes are a must for your doggy first aid kit! They're the kind of thing that you won't miss until you need them in a hurry.

Advertisement