Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do you pay for Apps?

• 03-11-2013 3:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks,

Just wondering do people have an issue with paying for Apps? Would you scoff at an App that is €4.99 but happily buy an app for €0.79? Or do you refuse to pay for Apps?

Just came up in conversation and I was wondering how many users are happy to pay for an App these days, given the actually cost of buying an iPhone / iOS device. Most people I know will always attempt to go free but someone are willing to pay up to about €2 or so. I don't think I've personally spent more than €4.99 on an App before.

Community thoughts?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭Scortho

ironclaw wrote: »
    Hi Folks,

Just wondering do people have an issue with paying for Apps? Would you scoff at an App that is €4.99 but happily buy an app for €0.79? Or do you refuse to pay for Apps?

Just came up in conversation and I was wondering how many users are happy to pay for an App these days, given the actually cost of buying an iPhone / iOS device. Most people I know will always attempt to go free but someone are willing to pay up to about €2 or so. I don't think I've personally spent more than €4.99 on an App before.

Community thoughts?

I won't pay for games as I generally get bored off them after a few weeks.
    I will however pay for apps that I find increases productivity etc. provided I've trialled it and was happy.
    If torque was available for iOS, and iOS would allow me to connect to Bluetooth reader I would have no problem buying it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

ironclaw wrote: »
    Hi Folks,

Community thoughts?

Of course, they don't magically develop themselves. 0.79 is a bit of a joke price imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,941 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

No problems at all. What's 89c or even 4.99 when it's a quality piece of software.

Anyone who has an iPhone and complains about buying apps shouldn't really have an iPhone IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

I spend an awful lot on games. Most of them are through in app purchases but i'd say between €5 and €20 a week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,887 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

No problem paying for them at all. Most I payed was 28 euro for a golf GPS app. I don't think I would pay much more than that to be honest.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I’m more than happy to pay for apps. I hate ad-supported apps. I also hate venture capitalist supported apps like Pocket that I know are going to turn around and screw all their users at some point. Given the choice I’d rather pay for a really good app than get it “free" because I like knowing how the developer is financing the app. I like being able to email them with feedback and get a response within a reasonable time.

I much prefer the paid up-front model, but sadly it seems most users want “free”. For the premium model to survive app prices need to go up, but users have gotten so used to getting free stuff that I don’t think that’s possible. It’s dragging down the quality of apps and forcing developers to embrace the freemium model (free with in-app purchases), which I don’t care for at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,487 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

I like the model which says that you can get an app with limited functionality (or a time bomb) for free and then elect to pay if you like what it does for you so you get the full version. Went straight for the paid version for iTorque for my Android phone based on reviews.

Spending a couple of hundred or more on an iPhone/iPad and then scrimping on app purchases is a false economy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Cheers for the replies folks. I'm in the same boat, I never mind supporting a decent piece of indie software. I think its the right thing to do if someone has spent their time and effort to develop it, especially if its close to home or a good start up.

I do like the 'time bomb' feature alright I have to say. But then again, I don't mind buying an App based off reviews either. Less than €2 is a punt anyway so even if it turns out to be slightly less than expected, I rarely mind.

Anyone ever request refunds? I'm an Apple Dev myself (No Apps online at present) but I've heard horror stories of refund requests etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

Asked for a refund once for an in app purchase. The app crashed and wouldn't run again on the iOS 7 beta. I requested it through apple support chat. I was sure I purchased a pack around €5 but felt like a right tight bollox when I found out it was only 89 cent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,941 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,304 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I like the ad-supported free ones, which have the option of ad-free plus one or two useful features for a euro or so. Liked this idea when I used the iPhone, and now that I use the Android (although see it a lot more on the Droid market).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

This really annoys me. The Irish App Store should show reviews from all English-speaking countries, not just Ireland. I'm not even sure if non-Irish developers can see our reviews. Since I mostly only leave reviews to complain or request a must-needed feature, I don't bother writing them anymore. My reviews never show up in the iOS app anyway and are only visible from iTunes.

I hope Apple have something major planned for the App Store because it really is a mess at the moment. If not for Twitter and the web, I wouldn't have a clue whether an app was worth buying or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 704 ✭✭✭LukeS_

If its a specific app I don't mind, but if there are free alternatives then I wouldn't bother. The only thing I hate is when devs have separate versions for iPad and iPhone, and charge you for both – that's just greed IMO.

Advertisement