Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mobile phone credit check in the UK

Options
  • 03-11-2013 3:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28

Hi All,

I have recently started a job in the UK after graduating from Uni here last summer.

Today I went into town to buy a new phone on contract but I was declined on the grounds of a credit check.

There should be no problems with my credit history as I have a student loan at home but never missed a payment or anything like that so I can only put it down to the fact that I have no credit history in the UK.

Has anybody else come across this problem and if so, is there any way to get around it??

Thanks in advance.
    GradEngineer

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭hiluxman

I had the same issue when i moved, perfect credit history in Ireland but couldn't even get credit to buy a couch in UK. When I opened my bank account the bank wouldn't give me a visa debit card for 5 months until I built up some credit history.

I don't know how to get around the no credit history issue but you could always buy a pay as you go phone

• Registered Users Posts: 10,322 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

You need to get on electoral roll, get utilities in your name and obtain credit from whomever you bank with. Without these, you'll have to google a non standard supplier - there used to be loads of these and they advertised in tabloids ad the Standard. Most were bought out by the main networks. I know people in the ?uK for more than 3 years who can't get a credit card or phone in their own name. Generally they can't get on electoral roll - this is an advantage of being Irish, you can vote in every election.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 GradEngineer

Thanks folks!

Getting on the electoral register is a good idea but my situation is a little complicated.....
    I am on a graduate programme with work that requires me to move locations every three months!

Great for experience in work but not so great for having a permanent address!
    This might hamper my chances of getting on the electoral register!

I have an AMEX card for work which I pay out of my account but it was organised for me in work. I wonder if by paying this on time every month would it help my credit rating?

I will inquire from the bank next week to see if I can get a credit card to help build my rating.

Surely loads of Irish people have this problem in the UK, you'd think that at this day and age that an Irish credit history could be used over here! What a pain!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭pitachu

I'm english and have had struggles with incorrect credit reports in the past, the best thing to do is to get a copy of your credit report from either Experian or Equifax (google them) - this will show you exactly what is returned for your name & address.

One thing to bear in mind is that you credit rating could be affected by other people that share or have shared your address - usually if they have a similar surname.

If there are any incorrect entries there are processes for getting these rectfifed relatively easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 sullie86

I moved over here in janurary and had the same issue went to all the mobile providers and always rejected on a contract unless I was willing to put down a £300 deposit deposit with o2.
    I ended up getting my irish phone unlocked and got a pay monthly sim on a 30 day rolling contract from orange after 3 months I was then able to sign up for a new phone on contract with out any hassle

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,322 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Thanks folks!

Getting on the electoral register is a good idea but my situation is a little complicated.....
    I am on a graduate programme with work that requires me to move locations every three months!

Great for experience in work but not so great for having a permanent address!
    This might hamper my chances of getting on the electoral register!

I have an AMEX card for work which I pay out of my account but it was organised for me in work. I wonder if by paying this on time every month would it help my credit rating?

I will inquire from the bank next week to see if I can get a credit card to help build my rating.

Surely loads of Irish people have this problem in the UK, you'd think that at this day and age that an Irish credit history could be used over here! What a pain!!

Your corporate AMEX contract presumably states that it is your liability; therefore you are already building up a credit history. Amex would also be more likely to issue you with a credit card. The frequent changes of address will be a big negative for other providers. Have you looked at Vanquis or Aqua which are designed for people with poor credit histories - not just bad histories but non existent ones.

For your own bank, inquire also about an overdraft facility, however small.

Some great advice there folks!
    It's relieving to see that I'm not the only person that has come across this problem!

Thanks!

Marcusm wrote: »
    Your corporate AMEX contract presumably states that it is your liability; therefore you are already building up a credit history.

For your own bank, inquire also about an overdraft facility, however small.

Your absolutely correct but because it is a work card (There name is printed on it as well as mine) I thought that there may have been more to it from a building up a credit score point of view!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Get your phone unlocked. Sim-only 1 month rolling contracts tend to have lower credit requirements. I wasn't able to get a phone on contract when I moved over, but I was able to get a sim-only contract with 3 pretty much straight away.

Advertisement