Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The main thing is keeping the main thing, the main thing

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Gavlor wrote: »
    Assh*le!!

I've pb'd every marathon since I started, my slowest being 3.26. That's my story and I'm sticking to it!!

What does your pb look like??

Ps, nice hm pace run today btw

At least we will have a weeks knowkledge of AMK's time so we'll definitely have a second target... ;)

BTW I think his PB may be slower than your slowest marathon :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭Badreputation

Monday 20th Jan: Start of week 6 in the plan.

Plan: 8 to 11 miles total. 1 mile-2 mile-1 mile at slightly slower than 10K pace, 4 and 7 minutes recovery

Another lunchtime run.
    Must do a 10k sometime to get a handle on what my 10k pace is - for now I reckon its 6:05 (based on Jinglebells 5k).
    So the target for these reps would be 6:10-6:15

Decided to do this session on the Furze/O.Survey roads again - I think this stretch has overtaken the Acres for me as my session location.

1.72m warm up (8:05 pace) with a few strides.

Rep 1: 6:14 - felt controlled.

4 min Recovery (8:42)

Rep 2: 2 Miles (complete in 12:21) - 6:11 pace

7 min Recovery @ 8:53 pace (Don't know why the recovery is so long??)

Rep 3: 1 mile @ 6:07 pace (on target for 6:12) 'til last 400m then threw in a kick to replicate a fast finish.

1:61 miles @ 8:41 Cool down.

Very happy with this session - felt controlled. Delighted to make it through the 2 mile segment.
    Big difference to a few months back when these type of sessions posed a problem for me.

Total: 8:57 miles @ 7:25 pace

Great session... You are flying!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

menoscemo wrote: »
    At least we will have a weeks knowkledge of AMK's time so we'll definitely have a second target... ;)

BTW I think his PB may be slower than your slowest marathon :p

Not quite - 3:23 is my PB - but Gavlor is much younger than me and a much better runner with bags of natural ability - I'd be expecting him to smash the 3 hour mark this year, maybe even heading toward 2:50. :p

As for me, It'll be a real struggle to hit 2:59.

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭cianc

sandbag.jpg

My God - back on page 4 I was - must have been a lot of activity in the last 2 days!!
    I was too busy searching for Cian with my axe.

Tuesday 21st: Plan 5-8m Easy

Aim was to run at the lower level of the mileage (as its race week).
    5.14 miles at 8:01 pace - gentle run down to the gates of the PP and back. Nothing too much to report.

The 'toe knuckle- instep' thingy is improving drastically - Ice is my friend.

Wednesday 22nd: Plan 8-10 miles with 20mins & 10 mins at MP +/- 10s (7 min R)

I wore my racing shoes (ST5's) for this to gauge how they'd feel on the toe - no issues at all - good to go for Sunday.

The plan for this session was to run the 20 mins at the midpoint (6:50's) and the 10 mins at the higher end (7:00's).
    This was just some paranoid way my brain was working telling me not to push it to hard.

No issues with the session or hitting the pace.

1.7m Warm up:
    ** 20 mins at 6:45 pace (2.97 miles)
    7 min recovery
    ** 10 mins at 6:57 pace (1.44 miles)
    1.7 mile home

total 8.54 miles @ 7:48pace

I've hit 200 miles already for the month, so I'm on target for a record mileage month (230 miles last Aug) - which on one hand this worries me as its a big jump from last month (198) - My last 6 weeks look like - 51,49,50,61,67,64 - so not quite the 10% rule from 50's to 60's.
    That said, the body is feeling solid and fatigue hasn't set in.

Once I'm aware of it and manage it well - it shouldn't be an issue.

I'm on easy street from now til the race in Dungarvan on Sunday - easy run on Thurs/ rest day fri / 4-5miles with strides on Sat.

Gold medal time on Sunday is sub 63.
    Silver medal: 63:xx
    Bronze medal: PB (64:23)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

I've hit 200 miles already for the month, so I'm on target for a record mileage month (230 miles last Aug) - which on one hand this worries me as its a big jump from last month (198) - My last 6 weeks look like - 51,49,50,61,67,64 - so not quite the 10% rule from 50's to 60's.
    That said, the body is feeling solid and fatigue hasn't set in.

Once I'm aware of it and manage it well - it shouldn't be an issue.

I'm on easy street from now til the race in Dungarvan on Sunday - easy run on Thurs/ rest day fri / 4-5miles with strides on Sat.

Gold medal time on Sunday is sub 63.
    Silver medal: 63:xx
    Bronze medal: PB (64:23)

I know AMK gets some slack since he rebranded himself from RK but I'm going to come out and say it. RK sucks donkey balls compared to AMK. AMK is not a headless chicken jumping from plan to plan and seems to be playing is sensible but still pushing the sessions etc. The king is dead, long live AMK ;) Good luck Sunday

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Cleanman

TRR wrote: »
    I know AMK gets some slack since he rebranded himself from RK but I'm going to come out and say it. RK sucks donkey balls compared to AMK. AMK is not a headless chicken jumping from plan to plan and seems to be playing is sensible but still pushing the sessions etc. The king is dead, long live AMK ;) Good luck Sunday

True - but you have to admit that RK's log was much more entertaining....I mean, this stuff is far too sensible and...well....boring (we already know he's going to meet his gold medal time on Sunday!). Bring back RK, long live the running king!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Cleanman wrote: »
    .I mean, this stuff is far too sensible and...well....boring (we already know he's going to meet his gold medal time on Sunday!)!

Not if I have anything to do about it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Ferris B

From one Auld man to another..good luck on Sunday. Hope you get your gold. You should do, after all the effort you've obviously put in.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Have a good one on Sunday A. You've done some quality work lately. I'd be hugely surprised if it didn't yield some good results for you.

You de man!

• Advertisement

Cheers guys!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

Good luck on Sunday....enjoy!!

See you in the morning....

There's no doubt that a gold medal time is there for you. Fast course and conditions will balance out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Best of luck tomorrow RK. As Gavlor says..gold well within reach and you should have confidence in the training you have done to get you there AMK. ;)

Disappointed I'm missing out and remember my PB is 63:11 ;)

Go get it. No excuses!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,625 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Good luck tomorrow, I'm sure you'll nail it.

TbL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Good luck tomorrow, I'm sure you'll nail it.

TbL

+1 :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭drquirky

Good luck tomorrow AMK. 10 miles is a fun distance to race (have only done it once myself) Have the courage to go out hard enough to hit that gold medal goal and your training has been good enough lately that your fitness should do the rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭dublin runner

Best of luck tomorrow! Very solid training block in the bag so you should be full of confidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭cianc

Yup, best of luck tomorrow. Time to cash in all the boring sensible training!

Don't know if I'm more appreciative of all the support or the fact that Dr Q referred to me as AMK!

Blocky, glad you told me about your pb!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

cartoon-airplane-blue-sky-8721535.jpg

Keep flying ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭Beef

Best of luck tomorrow AMK! Tis a great race, gutted I'm not running it now.

Just filling in the last 2 runs.........

Thursday 23rd: Swapped my rest day from Friday to Thursday.

Friday 24th: 5.36 miles (8:46) with 7 strides (about 10-15 secs) - had the dog with me in the PP - she was more interested in sniffing than running. So was a bit of a start/stop affair. Nearly bumped into Belcarra who was in full focused concentration.

Saturday 25th: 3.19m @ 8:11 pace with 4-5 strides (10-15 secs) - followed by foam rolling and stretching.

Cant believe I'm going to drive a 5 hour round trip tomorrow for just over an hours running. Wifey thinks I'm mad.

Reading through some of the logs today shows what a good thing we have here on the A/R Forum, some people have said that Boards is a bit 'back slappy' or 'cliquey' - but the level of support & motivation for everyone racing on Sunday is amazing.

Best of luck to all racing on Sunday - Looking forward to reading all the race reports next week with the delights, disappointments, excuses & PB's :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,195 ✭✭✭PaulieC

Best of luck tomorrow old chap. I hope the wind dies down for you, wasn't pleasant out there today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

Best of luck tomorrow - hope the weather plays ball and you nail that PB.

"Character building" is a phrase that springs to mind this morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

Absolute poxy is another. Might die down in the next while. Don't stress about the weather there is nothing you can do about it. Pick out a few heads and try take some scalps.

The wind will be at your back for the last 3 miles or so. Save a bit for that and you'll make plenty of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭dazza21ie

You can't control the weather, just aim for the best race you can run today. Good luck

• Advertisement

Gold medal :)

Advertisement