Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The main thing is keeping the main thing, the main thing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Duanington

Well done A - you were moving very well through the park, good n strong.

I think you're wrecking your own head by checking the watch so much though.

Great result though, great to see it

• Registered Users Posts: 10,455 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

The trick was to run hard through the line and forget to stop the watch until you stopped. Worked for me, watch=chip!

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Back in Black

Well done, another great performance

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

Great way to start the year off! Well done - sounds like very strong running

• Registered Users Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭MisterDrak

Sunday 27th - Raheny 5mile.

Lined up in as good a position as I could - I reckon you need to start lining up NOW to get a good place for next years race :)

We were set off a good bit before the gantry and I started my watch under the gantry, as did a lot of people - I believe this was a mistake as the start was before the gantry.......like that makes sense.

Brilliant :D

If you look to the right, on the kerb, about 20m back from the start there is a small white "squiggle" in spray paint, for some reason this is the official 5M start... Insider Knowledge ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭healy1835

Thanks Dave.

The thing is, no one knew where the actual start was. No mat or visible marker. The gantry was a few meters ahead, hence the confusion (with the majority who I spoke to.)
    Anyway still a run I'm proud off.

Maybe next year just extend the bit down the avenue by a couple of meters? Problem solved :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Duanington wrote: »
    Well done A - you were moving very well through the park, good n strong.

I think you're wrecking your own head by checking the watch so much though.

Great result though, great to see it

You know what - I hardly looked at my watch until the thoughts of a PB came into my head. I'd say from the out & back section til we left St Annes I looked at it about 10 times - in the space of about 1 mile !!
    The last 0.5m I didn't bother - it was a case of just working and holding on!

Now that I have a bit of time, I want to reflect on Raheny - the race report didn't do some things justice as I was rushing.

Parking
    I tried to park at the church (again) but failed, so parked in the same spot as I did last year on the Howth Road about 0.5m from the start.
    There is loads of parking if you're willing to go beyond 0.5m from the start.

The way the community 'gathers'
    For a race in its millionth year - this must cause the local community hell as they are blocked in, have crowds by their windows etc - but theres no real complaints, the suck it up and support the race - Die Hards the lot of them. Thank God DD's best mate won the race to give them something substantial to cheer!!

Alan, Alan, Alan, Alan.......
    As I was running around, the sheer number of people who shouted 'Come On Alan' or similar was amazing. I mean - it was out of this world. I remember DD & JaimeK and I think Laura??? But there was about 20-30 shouts during the race.

Then I checked the results - I finished in 155th.
    There were 4 Alan's between 153th & 158th - what are the chances!!

The meeting place

This is a great race for meeting other racers. I met a ton of Boardsies and non boardsies alike - its just amazing.
    Its the No. 1 thing I love about these races. I got 2 big hugs fro Olwyn - worth their weight in gold.

& sure me & Overpronators missus are best buddies at this stage.

The actual Course
    It is a remarkably fair course - yes their are issues with the start (due to its success) but it didn't really impact my race that much.
    Yes the out and back is a pain - but its a feature of the route now - hopefully it'll never change - it adds to the toughness.
    There are also good parts to the course - the sheltered/downhill part from 2.5m to 3.5m is possibly the best single mile in any race in Dublin???
    The course overall is remarkably fair.

Sub 6 min miles

I think this was my 2nd race at 5m or over to record every mile under 6 min/miles - I wanted to do it on the 4th mile no matter what!

Running camaraderie

Runners are a great bunch, I've never met an ar$eh0le runner - well maybe 1 - but the running fraternity is fantastic.
    I had never beaten a few lads, but did so on Sunday - P from BP and AK from Dunboyne - they were very very gracious in their plaudits. Its amazing.
    Also - runners on Strava and Boards - those who are deemed 'quick runners still make time to comment and encourage others who had PB's at a pace that they'd do an easy run at - its fantastic to see that - we're all runners - a PB is a PB.

Me & Bourbon.

After a fantastic year in 2017, me & Jack Daniels have been reunited with good results.
    It just works for me - it suits my running and gets me the benefits that I want.
    I don't know why - but Mile tempos with 1min recoveries (& 2x2m off 2min) are my thing, coupled with a lot of 200's and strides. It just works for me.
    Not a slight on my former coach formally of these parts (formally a few times - he'll be back - he loves this place too much) - but for me its a vindication that I know what works for me. (crosses fingers & toes that I dont have crap races for the remainder of the year).

My Watch
    The common aspect of some of my best runs are that for the majority of the race, I didn't look at my watch until I realised that there was a good run on the cards - probably 3 miles into a 5m & 10k race!!
    I'm kinda happy that at Raheny I found myself running at 5.3x at times and needed to slow up - but that wont always be the case - some day I'll back myself and keep motoring at that pace and see what happens - either an almighty blow up or a great PB :) - I'd say Raheny would have been a blow up given how I was feeling at mile 5.

My Run
    Given the conditions (Cold & breezy in places), the out and back portion, and the dodgy start - I'd rank it up there as my top 2 or 3 racing performances.

Now onto Trim on Sunday - Chasing a 10m PB???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭El CabaIIo

Well done chief, cracking run!

El CabaIIo wrote: »
    Well done chief, cracking run!

Ha!!

I so tried to embed that video, but didn't know how!!!

• Advertisement

You know what - I hardly looked at my watch until the thoughts of a PB came into my head. I'd say from the out & back section til we left St Annes I looked at it about 10 times - in the space of about 1 mile !!
    The last 0.5m I didn't bother - it was a case of just working and holding on!

I counted 11 times on the out section :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭laura_ac3

I'm not sure about the other 3 Alan's but that was me shouting at you alright!

Great to see the good form and enjoying your racing, well done yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Now onto Trim on Sunday - Chasing a 10m PB???

62 mins with a stopoff for a pint along the way? ;)

Nice secondary report. Might steal that idea sometime.

Monday: Up at 4.30am for a flight to Belgium for a 2 day course - Following the course, there was a mixup in the hotels which seen me in a much lower grade hotel - very nearly a Hostel - This was a pain as I had planned a treadmill sort of trip - and this hadn't got a bar, never mind a gym.

Anyway - I went out that evening for a few miles - wearing a jumper as 'under armour' :) - then it absolutley lashed out and it was freezing.
    And to top things off - I got lost - couldn't find my hotel and because it was a non descript hotel, no one I asked had heard of it either.
    A lot of watch issues with the buildings narrow streets and pausing, forgetting to restart.......

9.4 miles of exploring Leuven later - I found it - at least they had a warm shower!

Tuesday: Didn't run as the gear was soaked and I didn't want to just wear a t-Shirt out in -3 degrees - Soft I know :)

Wednesday: The downsides of not having a coach - I was torn about what to do - Raheny last Sunday and Trim this Sunday, while still keeping the main thing the main thing and keep it Marathon training - So I ran 4miles to the PP - done a 6k Alt Tempo (1k@6.10 / 1k@6:30) continous / then 4m back home

11.6 miles - a good workout - nicely boll!xed.

Thursday: Legs were tired waking up and didn't really improve as the day went on. Went out for a very wet & cold 7 miles down to the PP and back. I love those wet and cold runs at a slow pace.....just love them.

7m@8.25

Finish the month with bang on 200 miles - a great return given that I was off skiing for a week!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

All the best in Trim tomorrow, run well!!!

Could ya not have eeked another 8 seconds from somewhere FFS!!! Nice racing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭MY BAD

Great running today coming off the back of Raheny.

Friday: After reminding myself....again....that I'm training for a Marathon and not a 10m race, I decided to do a double on Friday, rather than taking a day off to 'rest' - I decided that 4m am & PM would be a good effort.

4m at 7am (8.45 pace) was an eye opener - my god it was cold - and I felt so slow.............

PM: I done 5miles total - with 2x4x40s included - I took about 2.30-3.00 mins after the 1st set. All the 40 seconds were done in 40 seconds :)

Saturday: 3.1 miles inc 6x20s strides - Just a shake out. Went into Croke Park to watch the ladies match and the mens - was absolutely freezing in there and was worried about my muscles for the race!!!

Sunday: Trim 2019 10 Mile

Up early enough - small bowl of porridge and set off for Trim.

On the way to the race, I could see some flags really flying, indicating a decent breeze - Parked in the OPW and ran to Race HQ (meeting Mr Drak on the way who made a mess of his arrangements) - Met up with a few Dunboyne lads (inc Sheep) and done a few strides before lining up in the corral.

My Plan for this race was to PB - I feel I've a soft 10m PB - all my 1500-5m races point to a far superior Longer distance result - indicating a FT fiber - but my 10m PB was 61.40 from Trim 2018.

Off we went, and after a few human obstacles, I found myself beside my PP buddy C.McK - "Fancy meeting you here, Alan" she says - after about 2 miles running & chatting with her, she says, "what are you hoping for" - I say "61'ish" - she says "ok" and proceeds to leave me and our group and move on :) - someone beside me said that I was NO use to her now - wise choice as she won the female race.

My 1st 3 miles were very comfortable - we had a tail wind - so I had 6.01/6.02/6.02 - I had planned 6.05 - but the tail wind made it ok.

Just before the 4m mark, we turned and the difference in the wind was noticeable, not quite in your face, but enough to make you aware of it.
    Took on Water at the 4m mark and poured it down my back.

Mile 4/5/6 were ok, but I found myself running alone at this point (& for most of the race) - I ran 6.02/6.09/6.05 - the wind was a factor here but when we turned just bfore the 6m mark, it was a lot worse - right in your face.

At the end of Mile 7, it seemed like I had crested Mount Everest, but it was no more than an incline, the wind made it worse, I took a tactical decision to take a break or risk totally blowing up - I ran about 45 secs at 6.30-6.40 pace - then got going again.

I was doing the maths from mile 6 about a PB - Just 4 miles at 6.20 pace - just 3 miles at 6.15 pace........... Raheny had well and truly bitten me at this stage. Mile 7&8 were 6.12/ 6.17. Now my mind entered into catching people as more came back to me.

We turned the corner just before mile 8 and the wind softened, I found the pace increasing and the hope returning. The pace was increasing and I had hopes again of a PB.

The group ahead were coming back to me - having ran for so long on my own, the chase was on to pass people.
    Mile 9 was a good mile - I passed Evan S who had an off day and passed another couple of runners, no doubt I was struggling - Mile 9 was a healthy 6.09 as we approached the last mile.

I knew that a sub 61 was a reach - but I wanted to get as close as possible to it.

As we entered the Industrial estate, we had about 400m to go to the finish - I came level with a guy I was chasing and ran with him a bit, before getting going again and passing him out - I could see the clock, but not make it out, but I summoned a sprint to make sure none passed me.

Finished in 61.04 on the watch (61.07 official - cant understand that as my chip & Gun time are the same - despite being a good bit back at the start) - I'll take 61.07 - a good PB by 33 seconds on last year - but this year was very windy conditions, so delighted.

Great to meet so many people from here and other places (including real life!!) - a well organised race, a fair 10m route, not quite flat, not hilly, just a fair course.
    My clubmate and RunHub Supremo ran a great race in 66 mins.

10mile in 61.07

15.6 miles for the day inc WU/CD

56m for the week.

Well done A, delighted to see this PB - I know the 10 mile thing has been a source of frustration in the past. You finished strong and earned that one, congrats

• Registered Users Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭MisterDrak

Parked in the OPW and ran to Race HQ (meeting Mr Drak on the way who made a mess of his arrangements)

Don't bloody remind me :mad:

That wind from mile 6 on didn't seem to effect you to much, well done and the well executed race.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Sheep1978

Nice to finally meet you A. Great race - well done on the pb

Monday: It felt like I hadn't ran on grass in quite a while - so headed to the PP and done a lap with about 90-95% on the trails.
    Luxury - sheer luxury.

7.1m - 8.25pace

Tuesday: Down to the PP a mini lap and then back - caught in an unholy shower at 1 stage - I know it was unholy due to the language coming from me.
    Legs tired after this one.

9m @ 8.20

Wednesday: A few things on today - so had to work at home. Legs were a bit meh today - felt heavy and a lack of mobility in them.

Took advantage of a late lunch to get a run in - done most of it on grass in Porterstown and then some strides - 8 x20secs or so - this done the job for the legs - really woke them up.

I considered going out again later in the evening for a 3-4m run - but dumped that idea - they'd be junk miles and I'd rather save the legs for Tempo Thursday :)

7m total - inc 8 strides

Tempo Thursday: You know one of those runs that you know will go well from the 1st WU mile...........this was one of them.

Legs felt good today, thankfully I didn't do the additional run on Wednesday. I done some activation work prior to this one - I was a bit apprehensive about it, so wanted everything to go well.

The session was 2x3miles at Tempo with 10min jog in between

I ran down to the PP - and done some strides - so about 2.5m.
    The route I chose was one that has not much pedestrian traffic on it and I wouldn't be blinded by the cars as it got darker.

Starting at the C'Field/North Road/OS intersection - I ran towards the CK gate and then back down, turning down the North Road, passed the Ashtown gate, 2 laps of the Triangle and back up the North Road. 3 miles.

The 1set was ok- I passed out a bloke on a bike towards the end - always a good sign :) - Pace for the 1st 3m was 18.26 - the 3 miles fairly even in splits. (6.09/6.08/6.08)

10 mins jog recovery - about 8.30 pace - then back and started at the same place.

The 2nd set was ok (tough enough though) for 2 miles - I thought about making it easier and continuing down the North road for the last mile or so, but didn't - I really struggled on the last mile going back up the North Road, but held it together - It was tougher than 'comfortably hard'.
    2nd set in 18.36 -(6.05/6.16/6.15) very happy with that - prior to starting I had visions of having to do the 2nd set at MP.

A decent 3m home.

13m for the evening.

Didn't get to the S&C - an impromptu date night ensued. Dont tell my wife :D

That's a great session coming off the back of two races. BTW did you wear your 4%s in Trim?

A other question incoming from Swashbuckler. It might just be a "different definitions of tempo" thing but is 6.10 not threshold for you?

A other question incoming from Swashbuckler. It might just be a "different definitions of tempo" thing but is 6.10 not threshold for you?
    Tempo gets banded about quite a bit, it's often used for hmp which I'd say this session was at...

Tempo gets banded about quite a bit, it's often used for hmp which I'd say this session was at...

My pace at the 10m race was 6.07/ mile.

I went out to run the reps about 6.10 as it's close to "the pace I can run for 1 hour" - which is the definition I hold for Tempo. The last couple of miles were probably moving into HM pace.

I'd class TH as in between 10k & 10m pace - maybe 6 or 6.05??

And yep, I wore the 4%'s - a class shoe.

Actually I wore the Epic Reacts yesterday on the Tempo and while I like the cushioning, the heel cup is uncomfortable- my heel was a bit 'icky this morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭El CabaIIo

Lactate threshold tempo= 1 hour race pace or slightly lower effort
    Aerobic threshold tempo= 2 hour race pace or slightly lower effort

Anything faster than 1 hour pace is anaerobic(fast reps which cause you to have problems breathing easily)

Anything faster than 2 hour pace but slower than 1 hour pace is working more towards lactate threshold which is kind of a middle ground between Aerobic threshold and anaerobic

Anything close to 2 hour pace but not faster is working aerobic threshold

It's an oversimplified version of what's really going on as each type of run will have indirect consequences on the other like a soundwave rippling out from an explosion into the distance but it's a fairly good place to start on forgetting the terms and understanding the workout as the terms are so interchangeably used that they are useless in trying to dechiper a workout.

I wish you posted around here more often. Thanks lads.

• Advertisement

El CabaIIo wrote: »
    Lactate threshold tempo= 1 hour race pace or slightly lower effort
    Aerobic threshold tempo= 2 hour race pace or slightly lower effort

Anything faster than 1 hour pace is anaerobic(fast reps which cause you to have problems breathing easily)

Anything faster than 2 hour pace but slower than 1 hour pace is working more towards lactate threshold which is kind of a middle ground between Aerobic threshold and anaerobic

Anything close to 2 hour pace but not faster is working aerobic threshold

It's an oversimplified version of what's really going on as each type of run will have indirect consequences on the other like a soundwave rippling out from an explosion into the distance but it's a fairly good place to start on forgetting the terms and understanding the workout as the terms are so interchangeably used that they are useless in trying to dechiper a workout.

Still reads like a trigonometry equation to me!!

Advertisement