Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The main thing is keeping the main thing, the main thing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,299 ✭✭✭ariana`

Have a great run A. You have savage training done no doubt about it, best of luck with the day hope all goes to plan now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭Unthought Known

No best of luck, just run well and give it everything!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

May you have the run of your life!!(to date!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Sheep1978

Have a good one Alan

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

Have a great weekend! Hope you get to do a run while you're away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Thanks All - the running community is fantastic.

Monday: 5.6 miles locally before a work trip to Dresden.

Tuesday: No running - planned day off while away.

Wednesday: Ran to the park - done 3 miles at MP and ran home. Lashing rain, cold, windy - miserable. Good to let the body know what a hardish run feels like.
    - 6.5miles

Thursday: Out in the rain again - theres a little park near me - I thought I done 7 laps of it, but it was 9 :)
    3.9m

Friday: Back to the little park - done 2.5 miles than 6x20s strides. Legs feeling good despite the carbo loading bloating.
    3.3m

So that's it - maybe 1-2 miles on Saturday in Rotterdam.

This 18 week plan started on December 3rd - I think I hit every session and long run.

* 995 miles from Dec 3rd to today.
    * Peak mileage - 1 week of 76m and a week of 75m
    * 4 runs over 20miles, longest of 24 miles (that was a session included)
    * 6 more runs over 18 miles - 5 of these were sessions
    * A big week, 4 weeks out that contained 2x18m Sessions (5E+3T+5E+3T+2E / 2.5E+Half Mara+2.5E)

For tomorrow:
    Fly early enough, I dont plan to over-eat on Saturday - a decent brekkie and big'ish lunch - but after 3pm it'll just be snacking - I hate that bloated feeling on race morning.

Got a bit of a shock today, looking at the weather - 13 degrees starting off rising to 18 degrees by 1pm - so, cant control that and just got to get on with it. Will adjust the pace as I go. But I did buy a white cap & salt tabs :)

Thanks for the support folks, I really appreciate it - any time I think about quitting Boards, I think of the people I've met through here - superb.

- see you on the other side.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

Have a good flight, hope you fit in time for few beers after sightseeing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

I've really enjoyed following your training for this here and on Strava! Hope the weekend goes well for you!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Hope Sunday goes really well A. Your training has been incredible to follow. Looking forward to the report already.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭overpronator

All the very best man. You've done serious work. Enjoy it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

It's been great following along with all the training for this. Hope you get what you're looking for tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭quick feet

Best of luck tomorrow..!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭zico10

Best of luck tomorrow. Hoping everything goes to plan for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Blow that PB out of the water sir! Give it hell. Don't forget those salt tabs and adjust if needed for the weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

Have a good one, A. Will be tracking with interest so no slacking.....but most importantly ENJOY!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

Good luck today and enjoy it :)

blockic wrote: »
    Blow that PB out of the water sir! Give it hell. Don't forget those salt tabs and adjust if needed for the weather.

I'm surprised you remembered your password :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

I reset it just for you. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭ThePiedPiper

Look what the cat dragged in..

My gravestone:

Great trainer, $hit racer!

The above is something that I’ve thought about a bit – I train very hard, probably harder than it should take to run the times I do.
    In that sentence then, it becomes clear that given my training, I should be faster.

Over the course of the last week and especially the last few days, the words that you often tell a Marathoner - “Back Yourself” - were repeated to me by many people, in person, by text and social media.
    In the past, this would normally have been taken as a “good luck” message, but it was taking on some clear tangible meaning for me.
    I HAVE to back myself.

The week leading upto the marathon, I had a dodgy back – I’d been taking nurofen and also had those heat patches applied – in the back of my mind I was thinking – there you go now – there’s the excuse you need for a $hite performance.
    I had also noted that the weather was going to be very warm on race day – ‘Excuse number 2’.

My training upto this point was fantastic – I had followed Jack Daniels Plan A – hitting every workout – there are a few tweaks I’d make going fwd – (maybe follow the 3rd edition 2Q plan) but that’s for another time.

My flight/train to Rotterdam went without hassle and I had a hotel right on Coolsingle by the finish line. I also had my wife with me, which was a great source of distraction/comfort/company/inspiration.

A big lunch on the Saturday (Pasta & Bruschetta) followed by a quick visit to the Expo and back to the hotel. We had a light dinner (Salad & Bread) and had me nicely full.
    I’d bought a lot of water in the shop, so was constantly sipping electrolytes during the day/evening. I also took some salt tab’s to keep my levels up.

Race Day

Race Day arrived – I had about 4-5 hours sleep as the noise from the revelers going home at night was very clear through the single glazed windows ☹ - however – I was rested and not stressed by it.

I had breakfast at 6:30, with some horrible coffee – but the coffee had a duty and it was needed.
    After breakfast and with the coffee helping with the ‘duty’ I went back to bed for an hour or so.

I left the room at 9.25 for the short walk to the start line – I jogged down to ‘warm up’ – even though it was quite warm at that stage. It wasn’t as simple as I thought to get to Wave 1 – go around the block I was told. More light jogging and I was sweating when I reached the start line – Why didn’t I bring water with me.

Standing in Wave 1 – the furthest I could get was about 6-7 rows behind the Sub 3 pacers.
    I became very conscious of the heat at that stage, standing waiting. Clear skies and a brilliant sun creeping over the buildings.

After a rendition of YNWA, the canon blasted and we were off.

No Excuses - Back yourself Buddy.

The plan was relatively simple – I had no pace band or times wrote on my hand.
    Maintain 6.29/mile for as long as I could and lets get close to 2.50’s
    I knew the 1st mile or so would be congested and I was ready for a slow’ish 1st mile.

I couldn’t believe how narrow the path was and I guess that’s why they need to have 2 different starting pens on different sides of the road.
    Going over the bridge was amazing – a great experience and the photos from overhead are stunning.

After about 2km I decided to run along the kerb and overtake the Sub 3 bus as it was very congested.
    I wondered would I see them again later in the race?

I normally don’t take water at the 1st station, but I wanted to test the sponge system so took some – Jesus – its incredible. I’m a big fan. Drink and then use the sponge over the head.

Miles 1-3: 6.39 / 6.27 / 6.33
    Through 5k in 20.26.

I’m settled into the pace now or so I thought as mile 4 beeps at 6.18 – I must have got a lift from the water stations.
    We approach a roundabout and I’m seeing people ahead of me cross over the grass verge to avoid going right around the roundabout. I get annoyed at this – they are cutting the course.
    Only about 3-4 of us go around the roundabout.

My annoyance fades as mile 5 beeps 6.22 – control yourself I say – no need to be stressed over a few meters. At this stage I take my 1st gel – every 8k I tell myself. The markers are all in KM’s making me feel old.
    Mile 6 see’s me getting too comfortable with the group – I notice the pace slow slightly and move on.

Miles 4-6: 6.18 / 6.22 / 6.36
    Through 10k in 40.21

I recall thinking that I feel like I’m jogging – the water stations and sponge stations are superb – there’s a nice little breeze too and when you pour water on you its refreshingly cool.
    This is great, I recall thinking.

Mile 7&8 are along the canal – there’s a great atmosphere around here but it also marks the 1st time that I notice the heat as there’s no cover from the buildings.
    I’m wearing a white cap, my protection from the sun and am turning it backwards and forwards all depending on the direction I’m running. I’m also putting the sponges from the water stations under it to keep cool.
    Mile 9 is an out and back loop – theres a water station across the road and I can feel myself getting thirsty. I also recall thinking – this is a long bl00dy 1st half of a race. I was bored at this point.

Miles 7-9: 6.28 / 6.23 / 6.31
    5k split 20.11

The next few miles are a bit of a no mans land for me – just running, similar buildings around – great crowds. I’m thinking just a bit to half way – then another 6 miles to see my wife. That gives me a lift.

I take another gel and my 2nd salt tablet about 10miles.
    Again, I’m getting comfortable in a group – move on I tell myself as the pace was falling.

Miles 10-12 6.25 / 6.37 / 6.28
    5k Split: 19.59

I’m looking out for a big gantry to indicate halfway – but there’s a small clock and a mat. And thousands of people lining the street.

** I go through halfway in 1.25.06 **

I can feel the heat at this stage – there’s a difference in the breeze too. What was once a cool breeze is now a warm one.
    Despite the gradual change in conditions, I’m still moving well, but I can feel a slight pressure on my hips/side quads. I didn’t feel that in the B’Briggan half recently (at a similar pace). Its not impacting me, but its impacting the head more.
    I take another salt tab and a nurofen to guard against the back giving me grief.

At this stage, I’m counting down the miles until I see my wife – she has a bottle of Maurten drink waiting for me.

Miles 13-15: 6.21/ 6.27 / 6.26
    5k Split: 20.12

I’m still on 6.29 average pace – but I’m certainly feeling it now – the effort to maintain the pace is harder, as it should be. Its getting quite warm and I’m taking 2 cups at every aid station and about 3 sponges at the sponge stations. I delighted I bought that hat!
    I get a shout from Kevin E at this stage – good support from him today.

I begin to notice that the soles of my feet are so warm – I recall listening to Scullion talking about how hot he found the 4%’s when he wore them in London.

I make a key decision at this stage (mile 16) – It’s been getting warmer since about mile 7 and there’s still 10 miles left. If I’m going to finish this race in a decent time, I need to slow down slightly – otherwise I’m going to blow up as the temperature increases.

Lets focus on 6.40’s from here on in I say – as mile 17 comes in at 6.27 ��
    Going back over the bridge feels like your going up a mountain – I slow the effort here for a bit as we go over it. I think the absence of any hills make it very obvious when you meet any sort of an incline.

There’s a left turn when I get the shout from my wife with the drink – its warm at this stage, but I don’t care. As I’m drinking it we are going down an underpass, with a mountain of a hill back out of it – there’s a good few walking here. My effort levels are increasing, so I slow down again going up it. This is my 1st inclination to stop
    Carrying the bottle is annoying me so I dump it.

Its warm – people are walking – theres $h!t music being blared out – people are doing some stupid dance – people are doing some stupid cheering – Chr!st, this is horrific………………or maybe its just my current mindset.

Calm down, do a systems check, shake out the hands – breathe deeply – and again.
    I take my caffeine gel.

Miles 16-18: 6.35 / 6.27 / 6.40
    5k Split: 20.19

At this stage before the park, I notice the leaders coming through – it serves as a distraction for a bit – I cant wait to get into the park and away from this stupid noise and these stupid people.

3 waters at the water station. People are on the ground stretching out their cramps. There’s a lot of people walking.
    Super support just before the park with the drummers – that other poxy music has stopped – who wants to hear ‘cotton eyed joe’ at full volume during a marathon??

I enter the park – peaceful – check the pace – all ok. Enjoy the silence.
    But I now get that all too familiar feeling of my right hamstring tightening up and getting ready to pop. I also feel it on the side of my calf.
    I instantly recall the Dublin Marathon when I got cramp on Nutley lane. For some reason I punched the bejaysus out of my hamstring and it fixed it.

So I’m running in the park, punching my hamstring 5 or 6 times – the feeling goes away. I smile to myself – I’ve beaten it – just be careful now – As I say that I notice mile 20 beep at 6.27.

Another half mile or so – I feel it again – another few punches and its gone. This is effective I think to myself – I must patent this anti cramping strategy.

Mile 19-21: 6.40 / 6.27 / 6.39
    5k Split: 20.30

At this stage we’re still in the park, I’m still feeling the sensations in my legs and I’m still punching them every half mile of so. As long as I keep the pace in check, I’m ok.

I’m doing the numbers in my head just to distract myself.
    If I stop with cramp, I could easily lose 5-10 mins and it’ll be a big battle to even go sub 3. If I run at a slower pace, I can maintain it and only lose 2 mins in the next 4 miles.

I pass by the guy who won the Balbriggan half recently – he’s stopped and stretching out his cramps – ‘Come on Crusaders’ I call out. I secretly hope to myself that I don’t stop and have him pass me.

More water and more sponges – fantastic – I love my white hat.

I noted at the end of the park, I threw water over myself and it felt freezing – I actually shook because of it – I think it was so warm out and my body temp was so high that the cold water was a shock to the body.
    I recall seeing the 37km marker – 5k to go, 4k to the home straight, 3k until we’re 1k from the home straight……….

Mile 22-24: 6.38 / 6.54 / 6.58
    5k Split: 21.38

Survival.
    Lets keep it going at any pace I can – don’t mind the watch, just run.
    Just.don’t.stop.

I’m punching the legs a little less in the last few mins – but I can feel it building.

We exit the park – and I’m confused.
    Why are all those people ahead of me – they don’t look like they should be – they’re walking and cramping and some are lying down.
    Then I realise they are behind me, they still have to go into the park on the out and back. It looks like it’s a war zone.

I pass by a poor guy on the road, there’s a good crew around him and he has an oxygen mask on. It brings Blockic into my mind who had a DNF with 500m to go a few years back.
    Lets be careful now Alan – lets finish it out.

We approach the 40km marker – I’m smiling as the legs have been ok for the last mile at the slower pace, maybe the constant punching has fixed the neurological systems!
    Maybe it’s the excitement of being near the finish. Maybe it’s the crowds getting bigger, but I feel both legs start to cramp – I’m punching both of them – I must look like a complete tool – there’s loads of people around at this stage.

Again – I don’t stop, I’m able to run through it – I can feel the cramp in both hammys and both calfs.

1km to go.

There’s a guy about 50m in front of me, he’s getting the crowd gee’d up waving his arms, as I pass the same point I notice its quiet, so I do the same – I lift both arms and wave them to encourage the crowd – they respond – then in the same motion, my 2 legs completely seize up – ‘stupid waving’ I think.

I hear an Irish girl shout ‘oh no, you’re so close – don’t stop now’

I don’t stop – I punch the hell out of my legs, both of them as I run, anyone who caught that moment on camera will have a laugh – it eases enough for me to keep going.

The cramp doesn’t go fully, but I’m turning onto the home straight now. Adrenaline sets in big time. The cramp eases, I think, but there’s no chance of me stopping.

I have no idea at this stage how much time I’ve bled in the last 4-5 miles – I could be coming upto 2.52 or 2.55 or 2.58. I haven’t been watching the Garmin, but I keep pushing fwd, I want to make sure it’s the best race on the day with no seconds lost.

I get a shout from my wife – I can see the clock. Its ticking past 2.53, there’s a couple of lads ahead of me.
    Lets keep going…..faster…..faster…… I pass them….I’m nearly under the gantry……..

I had thought about how I was going to cross the line – what I was going to do – all that meant nothing now, just get over the line. I cross the line and stop the watch.

(Mile 25-Finish: 6.59/6.50 / 6.45 pace for the 0.3 / 2nd Half in 1.27.53)

I cant believe it.

I walk on a bit and go over to the barrier and I swear to God, I cried.
    Tears of pure happiness, I felt like a ‘real runner’ – like all my hard training has given me a time I can be so proud off and shout from the rooftops.
    This was more than just a 'brave' performance, this was a super performance, one that my training deserved.

I gather myself and as I’m walking I see a crusaders top (a different guy) – ‘Hey Crusader’ I call out.
    “Are you Alan” he says – turns out to be Rob Browne from these parts (what are the chances) who ran a savage race and finished 2.52.3x.

Soon after, the other Cru guy comes along and we swap war stories. Because they are war stories.

Today, I was in a battle. I backed myself & I won.

26.3m in 2.52.59

351st position (out of 14,500)
    27th M45

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

Perfectly timed report for my bus journey :)

Congrats on the result and a really well run marathon. Excellent time, delighted for you after that training block.
    I hope someday you get one with a time you want and no cramping drama!

I'm definitely one of those people who'd be mad for a bit of cotton eye Joe though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭healy1835

Jaysus A, inspiring stuff. Great to see you run that time, in those conditions. I know from painful experience how hot that Dutch sun can be :( some confidence booster going forward.....congrats again mate.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭Unthought Known

Brilliant stuff, well done! I don't think I could have managed the heat so well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Well done Alan, nobody can say it wasn’t deserved.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Brilliant reading and brilliant running. You must be made of steel to keep running through those cramps. You deserve to be so proud of yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

That's brilliant, well done!

I thought for a second that the big decision at mile 16 was going to be meeting your wife and getting a change of shoes :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,180 ✭✭✭Gavlor

It’s about time!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Brilliant Alan! As has been said it truly was a deserved performance. Epic stuff. Pure determination is written all over your face on the race pics. Glad to see you are suitably proud of yourself. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Sweet. Losing the will to live on the train home. Decided to check in. Wow, some performance and great written account of it! Congrats!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

F$cking class. Epic read. It was pretty boring following the tracker, this put it all into context.

Advertisement