Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The main thing is keeping the main thing, the main thing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭MisterDrak

Super stuff Alan, very well deserved. Absolutely outstanding performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Well done Alan.
    Superbly executed marathon.
    You should be very proud of yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Thanks all for the words, muchos grassyarse.

Moving on........

Marathon recovery is probably the worst aspect of running. Its even worse than being injured I think.
    You can run, you feel ok, but you know you shouldn't, but you oh so want to.

Especially when your every step is being watched on Strava........damn you boyo's.

A few years back after Manchester - I followed Hal Higdons Marathon recovery plan - I felt it got me back into good race shape fairly sharpishly, so using this as a template for the coming couple of weeks to keep me honest.
    The bits in the plan where it mentions a 30min tempo are inc WU & CD............. so chillax.

https://www.halhigdon.com/training-programs/post-marathon-recovery/advanced-post-marathon/

Monday to Wednesday: No running, plenty of alcohol. The Quads felt a bit tight on Monday but by Wednesday, the whole body felt good.

Thursday: 2m easy - 4 laps of a park across from the house - 8.45 pace. All Good.

Friday: 3.3m down in the PP - 8.17 pace. All Good again. (swapped rest day with Sat)

Saturday: There was a rest day on the plan - but my family were away visiting relatives in Tipp and I was home alone..... I mean, whats a guy to do, you gotta believe me....it was difficult not to, but I just had to. The temptation was too great, it felt wonderful.

Went out for an easy few miles and felt amazing - so I kept the pace going and ended up doing a mini fartlek - straddling easy pace with steady pace. 10k @ 7.07 pace

I know, I know....... I was told off already, so cut me some slack :)

Sunday: 5m very easy 8.27 pace.

16 miles for the week.
    The week after Dublin I done 30 miles - so I think I'm being a good little boy.

This week see's an introduction to some 'stuff'
    Tues: 4x400's @ 5k pace
    Thurs: 3x1m @ MP (generous recovery)
    Sat: 30m Tempo - 10min WU / 10min HMP / 10min CD

I'll play it by ear with how the body is feeling, but right now, the body is good.
    I wont do any S&C this week - I'll leave that til next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Only because we care for you deeply in our hearts A....... ;)

All joking aside it was the result we had all been waiting for so I think there's probably an overprotectiveness not to see you set yourself back. Want to see you push on to greater things now. Plenty of opportunity to make a balls of training when your mid plan but not with the easy recovery stuff. Haha

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭healy1835

Did you take the Maurten gels and the drink mix Alan?

• Advertisement

healy1835 wrote: »
    Did you take the Maurten gels and the drink mix Alan?

I took the Gels and a few mouthfuls of the drink (it was too warm). I also took a non maurten caffeine gel.

If doing it again:

Lighter food the day before but take 2 of the drinks later in the day - over time.

Drink 1-2 hour before the start with only a light breakfast. (90g carbs)
    Gel every 5 miles + Caffeine Gel at 16-18 miles (science says caffeine takes 20min to act but lasts 40 mins)

I probably wouldn't take the drink during the race again - you need to drink the full 500ml to get the 80-90g carbs - 2 gels would be easier to take (40 gram each).

I think the gels are game changers - so easy to take, not sickly sweet and there are more carbs per gel than other gels due to the way it works in the stomach.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,299 ✭✭✭ariana`

I took the Gels and a few mouthfuls of the drink (it was too warm). I also took a non maurten caffeine gel.

If doing it again:

Lighter food the day before but take 2 of the drinks later in the day - over time.

Drink 1-2 hour before the start with only a light breakfast. (90g carbs)
    Gel every 5 miles + Caffeine Gel at 16-18 miles (science says caffeine takes 20min to act but lasts 40 mins)

I probably wouldn't take the drink during the race again - you need to drink the full 500ml to get the 80-90g carbs - 2 gels would be easier to take (40 gram each).

I think the gels are game changers - so easy to take, not sickly sweet and there are more carbs per gel than other gels due to the way it works in the stomach.

It's interesting... I used them last dcm which of course was a pretty terrible run for me - dry retching from 16m in despite running well below planned race pace from the beginning. Now when i think of Maurten gels i get mini nightmares. But of course it was probably just a complete coincidence and unrelated but i'm scarred - possibly a bit over dramatic but you know what i mean. At the same time everything i read is akin to your experience, it's hard to know what i'd use if i ever brave another marathon but i'm glad they worked for you.

Best of luck with the recovery. It's great that you feel so good but it's also good to hear that you're trying to be a little bit sensible about it also - not an easy balancing act!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

Ah here the second epic race report I have read tonight, well done A it does sound like a battle ground :eek: you are amazing fair play pushing through and fighting off the cramps

well done again delighted for you so well deserved :)

PS now I have cotton eyed joe stuck in my head :D lucky for me it brings back some very fond memories of my mum and nana :) not song I would ever run to though lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭coogy

Wow. Just...wow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Brilliant result in marathon A. Absolutely delighted for you.

Now if only Spurs can match that today and take a few points off City!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Applegirl26

Ah gosh you have me lost for words again!
    Thank you.

RedRunner wrote: »
    Brilliant result in marathon A. Absolutely delighted for you.

Now if only Spurs can match that today and take a few points off City!;)

:o

apologies.

Monday: Easy miles 4.75 loal miles - about 8.20 pace.

Tuesday: 4x400 down on the Furze Road - Bollard to Bollard, full jog recoveries. Its all about the Fast Twitch Fibers!!
    5miles total.

Wednesday: A Lovely lap of the park - really enjoyed doing this as its been a while.
    6.3m - 7.50 pace

Thursday: 3x1 miles - adapted the training on the go & turned this into a progressive run. 1m@6.20 / 1mile @ 6.11 / 1mile @ 5.52 All with 4-5 mins recovery. Loved this.
    6.6miles total.

Friday: Sooo wanted to run, but after running for the past 8 days in a row - I thought it better to not run. Stupid recovery stuff.

Saturday: Amazingly, after a rest day, I felt $hite - I wanted to do a light tempo, but the body just said no. Easy stuff was hard. Cut the run short.
    4.3m@8.13

Sunday: Went out for a run not knowing where or how I'd run - such are the complexities of marathon recovery. It is the worst aspect of running. Marathon recovery is the devil - it would put you off doing Marathons.
    Done a 2.5m warm up to Castleknock Gate and then decided to run at MP until I felt a change - managed to get to 1.5m and decided to stop for a couple of mins, found the pace tough, but after the rest felt good again. Done a mile at a faster pace towards Farmleigh and then drove home.

Nice little session - getting the body ready for another Jack Daniels onslaught.

7 miles @ 7.32

from the last 11 days, I've ran 10. The good weather has a lot to do with it, but I believe I'm in a better position, recovery wise, than after DCM.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Duanington

Easy does it A, you're still soaking up all of those gainz from a smashing block\race. Don't rush it and you'll reap the rewards later in the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭hillsiderunner

That's a brilliant report! On a long train journey and found it among the logs. I'm one of the many that thought you'd be changing your shoes at mile 19 :D

Congratulations on a well run race and inspired anti-cramp tactics. And of course the glorious result!

Duanington wrote: »
    Easy does it A, you're still soaking up all of those gainz from a smashing block\race. Don't rush it and you'll reap the rewards later in the year.

I hear you.
    Its hard not to rush back to it when you feel good. But am listening to the body.

I've a couple of long hauls in the coming 3 weeks that'll put manners on me.
    That's a brilliant report! On a long train journey and found it among the logs. I'm one of the many that thought you'd be changing your shoes at mile 19 :D

Congratulations on a well run race and inspired anti-cramp tactics. And of course the glorious result!

thanks for that - although it was only 2 weeks ago - it seems a long distant memory!

g00gyg00 wrote: »
    You did quit both races.
    You just don't recognise it.
    I'm not here to blow smoke up people's backside.
    A lot of people are .
    You are not going to get the truth out of your boards" friends".
    Lack of hills in training has been an issue. correctly addressed by another new poster.
    We can't keep sugar coating these races.
    Been in great shape is useless if you never profit from it.

Remember this guy from last year??

A couple of days after Rotterdam, I got a PM from him (using his real Boards handle) - he knew I knew who he was.

He congratulated me on my marathon & apologised for the trolling - he explained 'why' in the best way he could.

A very big man to take the time to do that after so long. Fair play.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭healy1835

A couple of days after Rotterdam, I got a PM from him (using his real Boards handle) - he knew I knew who he was.

He congratulated me on my marathon & apologised for the trolling - he explained 'why' in the best way he could.

You gave him more leeway than I would have A. He had very little to be doing with his time....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

healy1835 wrote: »
    You gave him more leeway than I would have A. He had very little to be doing with his time....

Likewise, would have told the chap to jog on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

I think I know the guy in question, he's sound in real life. The Internet gives us all fantastical opportunities to be an occasional ass, it's very easy to accidentally be a jerk, misunderstand people etc. Kudos to him for reaching out, a lot easier to say nothing.

Singer wrote: »
    I think I know the guy in question, he's sound in real life. The Internet gives us all fantastical opportunities to be an occasional ass, it's very easy to accidentally be a jerk, misunderstand people etc. Kudos to him for reaching out, a lot easier to say nothing.

Easy solution, don’t accidentally be a jerk. It was totally uncalled for and completely unjustified. Kudos ok for reaching out but way to late.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

To be fair if it wasn't for that lad/lady we would never have the wonderful phrase "Strava Superhero".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

OOnegative wrote: »
    Easy solution, don’t accidentally be a jerk. It was totally uncalled for and completely unjustified. Kudos ok for reaching out but way to late.

I'm not defending the attack at all! Your own approach to online interactions is extremely positive and orientated around community-building, but it's not uncommon for otherwise perfectly reasonable people to take people up the wrong way or say stupid stuff from time to time. There was a good example of redemptive understanding on Luke's last A/R/T thread where somebody who didn't get along with him on boards admitted that he had a bad perspective of him that was changed with learning more about him on that thread. I guess my point is that boards is a crude medium that can easily result in negative interactions - a lot more so than would otherwise happen in real life. I tend to give people the benefit of doubt.

Singer wrote: »
    I'm not defending the attack at all! Your own approach to online interactions is extremely positive and orientated around community-building, but it's not uncommon for otherwise perfectly reasonable people to take people up the wrong way or say stupid stuff from time to time. There was a good example of redemptive understanding on Luke's last A/R/T thread where somebody who didn't get along with him on boards admitted that he had a bad perspective of him that was changed with learning more about him on that thread. I guess my point is that boards is a crude medium that can easily result in negative interactions - a lot more so than would otherwise happen in real life. I tend to give people the benefit of doubt.

Totally get what your saying B and don’t disagree with you to a certain extent, we are all guilty of being dicks in real life and here(include myself in that before skeletons come out of the closet). But my point is the person in particular was way late with there apology, AMK was always going to achieve the kind of performance he did in Rotterdam, those of us who have followed the mans progress here since 2012 or so knew that. It was an attack on the mans character as far as i’m concerned, no need for it.

Am sure the person concerned is 100% but as i’ve been taught in my life, if you’ve nothing nice to say, don’t say anything at all. I won’t say anything more on it as I don’t want to derail A’s log again!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,455 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Well either way, and regardless of the delay, it was a positive thing for the guy to send the PM, and obviously something AMK appreciated, so good vibes all round.

Every forum needs a group hug every now and again.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,180 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Just to clarify, it’s not me!

Gavlor wrote: »

That was given in fairness!! If you had a two decent hips no doubt you’d beat the tanned lad.....

Gavlor wrote: »

The minute he apologised, I said - it cant be Gavlor......he'd never apologise.

In fairness, I knew within a few days who it was - the Mods on here are a sound bunch :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

This week see's an introduction to some 'stuff'
    Tues: 4x400's @ 5k pace
    Thurs: 3x1m @ MP (generous recovery)
    Sat: 30m Tempo - 10min WU / 10min HMP / 10min CD

That's like a tiny bite sized sample of the Hanson SOS routine ;) You heading into that direction now? Thoughts on the 60-80mpw plan vs what you used for the 2:52:59?

What would you say is the most important thing you learned about cramp in the last 2 years?

Advertisement