Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The main thing is keeping the main thing, the main thing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

That's like a tiny bite sized sample of the Hanson SOS routine ;) You heading into that direction now? Thoughts on the 60-80mpw plan vs what you used for the 2:52:59?

What would you say is the most important thing you learned about cramp in the last 2 years?

Hansons Plan: If I had 16 weeks again to train for a marathon - I'd really consider it - I think its a very tough plan with a lot of fast running.

Cramp: I thought I'd cracked it on 2 occasions - once following the Steve Way plan from Bournemouth AC when I finished San Seb in my 1st sub 3 with NO cramp - in reality, I think I was in better shape (maybe low 2.50's), so ran within myself.
    The other time was for Rotterdam, doing strength work - I thought, this would help. And it didn't - well, maybe a bit 'cos it was such a warm day, its difficult to tell.

My plan for Dublin this year (if I do it) will be based on Brad Hudson - I bought his book earlier in the year as I think longer runs at race pace or faster will help.
    My plans to date have had many runs with long interval type running as opposed to 10m straight at an alternating tempo - or a few weeks of 15m at MP (rather than breaking it up).
    The Hansons 60-80 plan could be a good one for Berlin in 2020.

So I think that'll be my next 'Great White Hope' - other than that, I'll be boxing the $hite outta my hammys going up Roebuck Hill and at the Flyuover :)

OK - truth be know - was gonna leave this - but this community is amazing, so I keep going.

April 22nd - 28:

Mon: 4x10s Hills Sprints + 5 strides - 6.1 total.
    Tues: 5m easy
    Wed: 4x200 / 6x400 / 4x200 - all with full recoveries -
    Thurs: recovery pace + 9 5k paced strides 4 miles
    Fri: 4x200 / 4x4 mins at 5:50 / 6 mins jog, then decided to do 1 mile at tempo pace - no real rational reason why, other than I was pi$$ed off at the 4x4 mins being so tough.
    Sat: Easy hour - 7miles at 8.31 pace.

40 miles total.

April 29th May 5th - Trip to San Fran (really San Jose)

Mon: AM - 3.2 miles at 8.08 - shake out before work.
    PM: 6x (200/200/400) - on Coyote creek - 200's ranged from 35-37 / 400's ranged from 73-77

11.7 for the day

Tues: 5.3@8.30 recovery

Wed: 8.6m @ 8.05 pace around a spectacular location in Alviso around the bay area - pretty breezy, but beautiful.

Thurs: 4x200 / 3x5 mins (90s) / 4x2mins (60s) - tough workout on Coyote Creek : 7.7m total

Friday: Rest day - fly home.

Sat: 4.5m @ 8.23 / easy recovery in the PP all on grass.

Sunday: 1st run with the club in a long time - a good group too - 11.42m@7.4 pace

49.5 miles - pretty good considering the travel.

May 6th - 12th:

Monday: 5.1 locally with 6 strides.

Tuesday: Meant to be from JD - 4x200/3m T + 2x1m T - + 4x200

Actual was different as I adapted the session based on how I felt; - I done 16 mins (2.8m) at tempo - well actually faster than tempo (5.55/mile) - then took 3 mins recovery and done 5 mins at 6.04 pace into a headwind - took 1 min rest then happily ran 1 mile at 6.06 - finished with 4x200.

Wed: 7m recovery in the PP - 8.21 pace.

Thurs: 5.8m in the PP - done 5x8sec hill sprints and then 6x20s strides.

Fri: Another adapted run, this is the thesis of Hudsons book - - Plan was for 5x1mile at tempo by Daniels - but I felt that with a down week coming up and a race the following Tuesday, I'd need a better bang for my buck - so I done 4x200 / 3x5mins @ 5.50 pace off 90s / 4x2 mins off 60secs / 5 mins at 6.18 pace/ 4x200.

The 4x200's are a staple of Jack Daniels prior to and after sessions - its a neurological thing with ST/FT fibers.

The addition of the 5m T at the end was a way of progressing the workout from last week. I felt knackered at the end of the 4th 2 min rep as I was going up Chesterfield, so rather than do a 5th rep as planned - I done 5mins at Tempo to act as a progression.

9.6m in total.

Sat: Due to travel on Sunday, I pulled the 'long run' into Saturday.

Ran down to the PP and done a nice lap and then home - 12 miles in total and I felt it - Hard to believe I ran a Marathon 5 weeks ago at 6.3x pace.

12m @ 8.06

50m for the week - which is a good return 5 weeks post Marathon.

I'm in Singapore next week - so I don't think I'll be running too much.
    I plan on doing Bob Heffernan the following Tuesday to lay down a marker for where I am right now - I'd be very happy with a low 18 based on how I'm feeling during my intervals - 5ks are a different beast.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

You did 2.8m at 5.55 pace within a session on Tuesday. Eh, I reckon low 18 is doable...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

You did 2.8m at 5.55 pace within a session on Tuesday. Eh, I reckon low 18 is doable...

He's a legendary sandbagger ;)

Fri: Another adapted run, this is the thesis of Hudsons book - - Plan was for 5x1mile at tempo by Daniels - but I felt that with a down week coming up and a race the following Tuesday, I'd need a better bang for my buck - so I done 4x200 / 3x5mins @ 5.50 pace off 90s / 4x2 mins off 60secs / 5 mins at 6.18 pace/ 4x200.

Some serious training coming out of you since the marathon. You look to be in great shape. How are you choosing these sessions as it seems like you're editing and altering as you go based on how you feel? Not questioning your methods, just interested in how you're approaching it. Are you working of a Daniel's plan and editing as you go along?
    Ran down to the PP and done a nice lap and then home - 12 miles in total and I felt it - Hard to believe I ran a Marathon 5 weeks ago at 6.3x pace.

You ran that marathon off a taper. I think if you step back and look at your training over the last couple of weeks the fact you were tired on that 12 miler is probably expected. Super stuff lately.

• Advertisement

How are you choosing these sessions as it seems like you're editing and altering as you go based on how you feel? Not questioning your methods, just interested in how you're approaching it. Are you working of a Daniel's plan and editing as you go along?

I'm getting great value out of Brad Hudsons book (2008) - basically it teaches you to be your own coach and adapt your training.

So, I'm using a Daniels template, but adapting based on how I feel and the circumstances.

e.g. Last weeks 5x1m Tempo off 1 min became something different - I felt the workout earlier in the week would work my LT/Tempo system and due to the fact that I'm in Singapore this week with little opportunity to run anything decent, I wanted to get a shot of V02 stuff, primarily as I'm thinking of doing the Bob Heffernan 5k next week.

But importantly - this workout was a progression of a similar workout last week rather than just plucking any old workout from thin air.

But that was downhill with a tailwind :P

Week 13 May - 19 May

Over in Singapore for the week with work - I had promised myself a bit of downtime from running and as it turns out - I kept that promise.

Only 2 runs while I was there - both in the gym. A very warm gym.
    1x6m run - 1.5m warm up / 3m tempo @ 6.20 pace / 1.5m CD
    1x3mile easy run

It was far to humid to run outside - even standing for a taxi and your covered in sweat.
    The gym was unbearable - 2 runs was 2 too many.

Came back on Sat morning and made it out for 5.5miles - bit of a shake out.
    Felt very blah after a week of excess - they fed and watered me over there very well.

Sunday Morning I went out for a few miles and threw in some hill sprints (7) and some 30s strides (5).

I'll do the 5k race on Tuesday and get a marker for where I'm at fitness wise - that'll determine how I structure the rest of the next few weeks (racing v training) in order to get something of value (like a 10k PB) out of the season.

I'm still undecided about DCM - I love Marathon Training, but I dont like few weeks after it.
    Part of me wants to keep at the shorter stuff (5k-HM) for the next 18 months and get into a good habit of racing more without the 'disturbance' of Marathon training. I know you can train & race through Marathon training - DD has shown this - but its not for me.

We'll see - maybe the lure of the 40th DCM will be too strong and FOMO will set in!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Best of luck tomorrow evening A, no doubt you’ll lay down a strong marker, run well!!

Monday: Was absolutely knackered on Monday - Poor sleep on Sunday night and jetlag well established in the system. - still went out for 3.1m including a few strides before watching the GOT Finale

Tuesday: Bob Heffernan 5k

My 1st time doing this race and my 1st proper 5k since last June I think. I went into this without nerves or fear of anything - I knew I wasn't near PB shape and would have Marathon legs, coupled with 2 long haul flights over the past 3 weeks - sure I've a plethora of excuses!!

I picked up some of my team mates and off we went to Enfield - great having a good group there and fantastic seeing MSB even mentioned in other logs. There was a time when only 1 or 2 of us raced.
    Met quite a few folks from here prior to the race.

Managed to get a couple of miles with some strides - inc a run from the finish to the corner at the 4km mark, just to get my bearings - before settling into the startline, after a bit of messing we were off.

I expected that there would be a bit of shenanigans at the start, so just hung back a little and let the pace creep up. I could see Eddie N just ahead, so stayed just behind him.
    The legs and the breathing were fine at this stage - I glanced at the watch after about a half mile to see 5.40 - that was ok, I'll take that.
    I was a bit worried about lasting the race at that pace, but said I'd try and hold it for as long as I could.

Past the 1st KM mark and risked a look at the watch - 3.31.

Took the 1st bend and as we approached the 1st mile marker, all those that had taken off too fast were starting to fall back - I moved ahead a couple of groups, keeping Eddie in my sights.

Mile 1 beeped in 5.37.

This part of the course is long and straight, its a nice route. At this stage I had an amazing thirst, I hadn't realised how warm it had got. I tried to spit, but could hardly form one!

I was keeping watch now and we past the 3km to go sign, I done a systems check and was feeling good - still feeling confident.
    The next couple of KM's was just about keeping it going - I had the race broken into sections in my mind, so when we hit the 2km to go sign, I was saying 1km to the turn or just 7 mins to the finish......

Mile 2 beeped in 5.43

We were coming toward the turn and I notice that Maria McCambridge is up ahead and I start thinking about trying to catch her - it was at this stage that the race became a 'race', rather than a 'run to get a good time'. Eddie N was just ahead of her.

We turned and had a nice downhill for a bit before a couple of bumps along the route. I was gaining on Maria.
    At this stage I notice FBOT just ahead of me. I wonder was I gaining on him or did he just pass me? Either way, he was running a fine race.

In my head I was doing the sums to see would I break 18mins - I knew I had time in the bank, but during the 5th k of a 5k, you do go a bit ga ga.
    I was just focused on beating MMcB at this stage, I was pushing a bit more but not too much - I didn't want to have the legs buckle on the final little bump.

I could see the buildings coming closer, so started to ramp it up a bit more, Maria was just ahead of me and I was gaining - we passed what I think was the 3m mark (some kinda equiptment set up) and I started the final push - an all out sprint. (reading back - Mile 3 was 5.40)

I could see the clock and it was approaching 17.38 - I recall being delighted with the time, but after running 17.38 about 4-5 times in the past 2 years, I'd have liked a different time!

Coming to the line I went flying past Maria, giving what I thought was everything and finished just after FBOT. A little dry wretch and a lie down.

Official time was 17.35 and I was one happy man.

The pictures afterwards of the finish line show that FBOT was giving it everything, not me - that's how a real 5k should be ran.
    No doubt I left something out there - I need to remind myself of the skill of racing a 5k.

The 'afterwards' of the race is always fantastic - a good catch up with the Cavan native B2B, a chat with Singer and Murph on their great PBs and a few other Boardsies and non boardsies. I went for a cool down myself and back to the HQ for a coffee and the remains of the cheese sambos. I didn't stay too long as it was very warm & uncomfortable in the room - so no doubt I missed lots of people.

So - I'm quite happy with the result - I cant help thinking of the training I done previously to run 17.38 - and I rock up here with not as much done and churn out a 17.35, just 10 seconds away from a PB. Mad Ted.

I dont think I'll run Dunboyne 5M next week - its the only race I've done every year since I started running. I think I'll try to put a few good training weeks together - I might run Bohermeen 5k in early June - its a Friday night so not so disruptive.

Well done to all who ran last night - some great results and great to meet up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Hate wan*ers like you who nonchalantly rock up to a race and run super times at a canter.....

Nice going A, great marker that!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭healy1835

Nice one A. Sounds like a great race, a couple of mates from the club ran it too and posted some good times too. Must try and fit it in someday.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Back in Black

Well done on a super run and great to catch up with you!

Difficult to find the time to update here. Work has a filter on this site, so cant update in work.
    I'm actually working, in work, these days - apart from when I work at home :)

Wednesday 22nd June: Due to my travel & Tuesdays race, this was my long run day. I decided to keep it to 10-12 miles.
    Ran down to the PP, done a lap of the park and ran home.
    I really enjoyed this - pace a bit faster than my usual daily runs, but on a par with my long runs - it was a great evening for running.

Doing this route, the 1st 6m are down hill but the next 5 or so miles are climbing from Parkgate street to Castleknock.

11m @ 7.40 pace

Thursday: Parked at Farmleigh and ran the trails of the PP - lovely run, nothing too taking.

7m @ 8.25

Friday: I was unsure if I should do a session today as I knew I had a hill run on Saturday with the club. I checked previous hill runs and noted that prior to the last run I had done a 5x1m session - grand I thought - no bother, I'll do an 'easy' speed session so I'll be grand for the hill run.

3x(30/45/60/90) with equal time recovery. Paces ranged from 4.50's for the shorter reps to 5.10's for the 90s.

Another great workout and a lot more difficult than I gave it credit for.
    There's about 3.3k worth of 'mile pace' effort in there.

That should be the end of the full speed sessions for a while (barring strides or speedwork as part of a bigger session).

8.3m total.

Saturday: Club Hill Run

Met the gang at 7.45 and headed off to Crone Wood car park as a send off for 2 clubmates heading to the US.
    Some people just go for pints, but we run up a mountain.

A good gang of 19-20 of us started off, with a group of 5-6 instructed to do 2 loops early on to ensure we reach the summit together.
    Within 5 mins I was regretting doing the speed session the previous day and also regretting being part of the gang doing the additional mile loop. The legs were giving out.

The initial climb is hard but then we turned off and went up through the trees (apparently used during the Irish Mountain running trials) and we were doing 13 min/miles and sweating. Hearts in mouths type of stuff.
    The gang of 6 turned left and went back down to do that again..........great.

Those who have ran Djouce before know the views you get a Powerscourt waterfall - absolutely stunning.

The run turned into a run/jog and walk in places as the climb was taking its toll.
    By the time we reached the top, the other gang had been there a couple of mins - took our photo and back down we went.

The run back down is the most enjoyable bit - dangerous in places but exhilarating as well.

Finished off the last mile or so at 7 min/mile pace (going downhill) but certainly feeling the pace in the legs.

Then off to Avoca for some serious food!

10.25 miles at 10.27 pace average (Fastest mile split was 7.04 / Slowest was 12.44)

Sunday:
    Wife and Childer were out - so bored at home - Phoenix Park trails were calling despite the tired legs.

7.63 @ 8.41 pace.

54 Miles for the week: A good weeks training

Monday 27th: 3 miles slow recovery on the treadmill and 20-30 mins stretching. My calfs and glutes screaming at me.

Tuesday: Body still not ready for a session - some easy miles down to the PP and back and 6x30s strides.
    Missed the Dunboyne BHAA 5m tonight - my 1st time missing it in 6-7 years or so.

7.4m - 8.13 pace

Wednesday Session - I had the Daniels 4x200/ 5x1m / 4x200 on the plan, but decided that that would be very tough given the lingering fatigue.
    I decided to do CV reps (a bit faster than tempo but slower than 10k) and limit it to 3 or 4 x5min reps with 1 min recovery - then re-evaluate.

Started off with 4x200 (or 40secs) and then went into the 1st 5 min rep - felt ok, but a little fast.
    2nd rep I was feeling it.

On the 3rd rep - I needed some mind tricks - so I told myself to do 10 mins at 6.20 pace instead of 5 mins at 5.55.
    3 mins later I'm cruising at 5.55 pace and held on for 2 more mins to complete a 3rd 5 min rep.

Debated on a 4th rep - but went at it and seen it out - there would be no way a 5th rep would be done (with any mind games).
    I took a 5 min jog recovery and then went into some faster and shorter reps.

8x1min off/on later (Up Chesterfield into the wind) and I'm nicely cooked, back up at Farmleigh with 2 miles cool down awaiting me to get home.

So in total - about 30 mins of 'work' in that session - legs were cramping a little when I got home due to the copious amounts of sweat I lost!

11.1 miles total.

I still don't feel fully in control of my sessions and running. I'm adapting a lot of sessions post Marathon - I suppose that's only normal.

While not 100% committed to doing DCM - If I am doing it, I'm settling on a plan - rather than Daniels from the 2nd edition book - it will be Daniels 3rd edition - which has a lot more 'longer MP runs' than the 2nd Ed.

Still considering the longer Hansons plan and Brad Hudsons plan - but I think Daniels works for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭MisterDrak

Missed the Dunboyne BHAA 5m tonight - my 1st time missing it in 6-7 years or so.

Not as good this year, same start line, but we finished on the field beside the track, which was pretty uneven, and a pretty steep entry into the field to boot.

Still at the end the Sambos, Swiss rolls, jaffa's and current cake, were in same volume as in years past :D

MisterDrak wrote: »
    Not as good this year, same start line, but we finished on the field beside the track, which was pretty uneven, and a pretty steep entry into the field to boot.

Still at the end the Sambos, Swiss rolls, jaffa's and current cake, were in same volume as in years past :D

Thanks Dave - good to see the feed was the same.

I'd have made it to the grass verge in 28 flat then taken 5 mins to cover the last 400 :D (I dislike XC)

Thursday: Easy lap of the park - 7miles at 8.21 pace.

Friday: Easy Trails around the PP and 6x10s hill sprints (trail coming out of the Glen facing the Furze/OS interchange) & 6x20s strides.
    Legs were tired starting this and nearly left it, but felt great at the end.
    5.4m

Saturday Session day - 4x200 / 2x1km@5k / 3x800@5k / 2x1km Tempo (all off 60-90 secs)

After a 2 mile WU - 4x200 to start at Mile pace - with a walk back recovery.

Then the hard bits at 5k pace - well Holy God - that was horrible. After the 1st km I was swimming in Lactate, naturally I went out too fast which didnt help matters - I dont think I was sweating - I think I was 'lactating' through my pores. I hadn't felt that in a while - that was after 1k.
    Managed the 2nd KM and then the 3x800's - the last 800 was a total mess. Nothing in the legs. Most reps at 5.3x - last 800 was 5.46.

I took a bit of a walk break after the 5k paced stuff and considered canning the session. - What I had done was enough.
    I was even getting that taste of blood in your spit that I've heard about when you run really hard.

But - As I'm mentally strong ;) - I seen out the last 2 reps. I had wanted these done at a pace closer to 10k pace, but was happy enough just to get then done at any semblance of a fast pace. (last 2x1k were at 6.05/6.07 - which was pleasing).

Before the jog home, I sat on a bench in the park - contemplating.More on this in a different post.

10 miles for the day.

Sunday: Long run.

Only 5 of us this morning for the club run - I enjoyed a good 6.5 miles of company with them, before they departed and I completed another loop on my own - trying to do the 2nd loop faster.

Really enjoyed that.

13.4m @ 7.51 (1st 6@8.15 / rest about 7.30'ish)

Longest run and biggest mileage week in a while.

58m for the week.

So following my session on Saturday and how tough I found it, I found myself on a bench in the Phoenix Park, sweating something terrible and having little energy in the legs.

My main thoughts were swimming around what type of runner I am at the moment - what am I training for? What is the main thing?
    Is it a 5k PB, is it a 10k PB is it the Marathon or the race series??

The perils of running a Spring Marathon mean that you try to 'rush' back to fitness - you want to hit peak by the summer races to salvage your good marathon training, but you also want to start thinking about your next Marathon in the Autumn.

So all the training seems to meld into one - and you couch it and hide it under the term 'Adaptive Training'.

The sessions you done last year (Daniels) now seem a lot harder than they were - so you adapt them - thats ok, thats logical.
    You are racing a 5k - so lets throw in a 5k type session into the pot - doesn't matter that you've not progressed it it in any way, does it?

The result is something that comes out over cooked, and I like my food slightly al dente and medium.............

So we need a different recipe.

Here's my summarised take away.

* Spring marathons should come with caveats (especially for us old lads), though shalt NOT try to train through recovery time and race PB's within a short period of time.

* I cant expect to rock up to a 5k paced session like I did on Saturday and blast it - I should have progressed the plan.

* I cant train for a 5k/10k and marathon all at the same time - I have to be clear on the main thing.

* I cant do another round of Daniels Sessions (& always 'adapt' them) and maintain motivation.

Here's my plan based on this:

* I'll stop using Daniels from today and move onto Brad Hudsons plans for the remainder of the shorter race season & also for DCM.

* I'll run Bohermeen 5k next Friday and Clonee on 27th June - Both are not Goal races (but I expect to run well :) )

* Next goal race will be the Race Series 10k towards the end of July.
    I'll have started the Marathon version of Hudsons plan by then.

* I plan to race the F.Duffy 10m and the Race Series HM - I haven't raced these properly, since God was a boy due to Marathon Training - the plan allows for 10m & HM races.

Contemplation over.
    The Plan is Dead. Long live the Plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

So what's the 'plan' as such? From a few snippets on here I have gotten the idea that his book is about learning how to coach yourself. It also seems to have some ready made plans. Are you following his off the peg plan, using it as a template but adapting or going down the road of totally formulating your own training plan?

skyblue46 wrote: »
    So what's the 'plan' as such? From a few snippets on here I have gotten the idea that his book is about learning how to coach yourself. It also seems to have some ready made plans. Are you following his off the peg plan, using it as a template but adapting or going down the road of totally formulating your own training plan?

The book needs to be read and then bookmarked in a number of places in order to get the best use of it.

The plan in the book is ok, but there are also a number of other workouts that he suggests (with progressions) that you can put in their place. This is the beauty of it.
    I'll be doing this and not following the template laid out.

As an example - he discusses a 'peak-level Specific Endurance' workout from 5k-Marathon - the marathon one of 45min easy + 20k: 1k on (MP) / 1k off (MP+10s) - this doesn't appear in the plans.

For the plan itself;

Every week has hill sprints - up to 10x10secs - he swears by these.

Every week has long runs with stuff (bar 1 or 2 weeks) - Stuff might be last 20 mins moderate (Moderate in this case is MP) or it could be 20 with 11 miles MP or 1 hour steady with 5x3mins MP - so a good variation in the long run.

Threshold runs appear such as 3-4x10mins at HMP.

'Specific Endurance' is something that appears most weeks and they vary from 5x1km to 2hrs easy with 20mins@MP+20s/20mins MP to 1hr easy + 5(2k on/1koff) - so again good variation.

Progression runs also appear a lot.

The mileage is similar to P&D in that there are weeks (Marathon plan) with 15m runs midweek, followed by 10m the next day or double digit runs the day after a session.
    I do think that the additional mid week mileage will help my hamstring strength.

I plan on doing a lot of runs on the DCM 1st half of the DCM route.

So - its by no means an 'easier' option to Daniels - its just a different option.

• Advertisement

Best of luck with it. I have to say it looks like something where you can get satisfaction from planning your training as well as from implementing it. I'm looking forward to watching how it develops.

Fair play for actually sitting down and having that thought process and sharing it. A lot of us probably don't do it enough.

I definitely empathize a bit. It's definitely an adjustment coming off coaching and figuring it out yourself. There are benefits of course and accountability is one of the big ones I find. I think you're the same as me in that sense. There's a lot to be said for being responsible for your own successes and failures. That being said it's a tricky thing to know when and how you should be doing things. I've found it myself the last while and I pretty much know what the main thing is!

I think you've been doing a great job in fairness. The only thing you have been lacking probably is a clear idea of what you're training for in the interim. I don't think you need to salvage good marathon training. The marathon result spoke for itself. The salvaging is actually done through the recovery process but you know that already. Pretty much all of your conclusions hit the nail on the head. You know what you're at and where you're going.

Fair play for actually sitting down and having that thought process and sharing it. A lot of us probably don't do it enough.

I definitely empathize a bit. It's definitely an adjustment coming off coaching and figuring it out yourself. There are benefits of course and accountability is one of the big ones I find. I think you're the same as me in that sense. There's a lot to be said for being responsible for your own successes and failures. That being said it's a tricky thing to know when and how you should be doing things. I've found it myself the last while and I pretty much know what the main thing is!

I think you've been doing a great job in fairness. The only thing you have been lacking probably is a clear idea of what you're training for in the interim. I don't think you need to salvage good marathon training. The marathon result spoke for itself. The salvaging is actually done through the recovery process but you know that already. Pretty much all of your conclusions hit the nail on the head. You know what you're at and where you're going.

Thanks for that - I wasn't going to share it on here, but I felt that this is exactly why I was thinking of hanging up my Boards Boots, so to speak - the lack of these sort of posts - warts and all.

We'll see where Hudson brings me - I'm VERY motivated by it, its a difficult plan with a lot of mileage and hard running a number of times a week.
    I was listening to Scullion today and his latest podcast really resonated with me....... he didn't say it this simply, but its kind of like 'if you do the same thing over and over again, you'll only get the same results' - so the thought of following it really excites me and motivates me!

Here's to more sharing ;)

Agreed. There's a lack of interaction on here too of late and I'm guilty myself. Lots of liking but very little discussion.

I really need to get cracking on the book. Making very slow progress but what I've read so far I really like. A must read for anyone self coaching I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Duanington

Looking forward to seeing you try the Hudson stuff out, I personally thought you were needlessly chasing something too soon after a great spring marathon - speaking as another person on the wrong side of 40!

I spoke to someone on Friday who ran a pretty good marathon in April, crammed the run up to the marathon in terms of trying to squeeze in training but still ran a cracking race in the end. He did little or nothing for 2\3 weeks and now feels he's coming into the shape of his life, why? Because the fitness gains from his marathon block take several weeks to be fully absorbed.

Can't stomach Scullion's style of podcast personally but he's an interesting character for sure who knows how to put in some incredible training.

Anyway, I'm glad to see you taking the heat off yourself a little. That session at the weekend was tough, anyone would struggle with it unless they are close to race\PB fitness. I think 10 mile\10k for you has huge potential this year if you get around to racing either - especially if you can string 6\7 weeks of sessions together without racing them.

Thanks for that - I wasn't going to share it on here, but I felt that this is exactly why I was thinking of hanging up my Boards Boots, so to speak - the lack of these sort of posts - warts and all.

We'll see where Hudson brings me - I'm VERY motivated by it, its a difficult plan with a lot of mileage and hard running a number of times a week.
    I was listening to Scullion today and his latest podcast really resonated with me....... he didn't say it this simply, but its kind of like 'if you do the same thing over and over again, you'll only get the same results' - so the thought of following it really excites me and motivates me!

Here's to more sharing ;)

Yep you are right...not enough of that type of post. I'm going to get working on mine tomorrow! Scullion's comment reminds me of something I heard while I was training for another sport...Practice makes permanent, not perfect. It's a similar sentiment.

Duanington wrote: »
    Looking forward to seeing you try the Hudson stuff out, I personally thought you were needlessly chasing something too soon after a great spring marathon - speaking as another person on the wrong side of 40!

I spoke to someone on Friday who ran a pretty good marathon in April, crammed the run up to the marathon in terms of trying to squeeze in training but still ran a cracking race in the end. He did little or nothing for 2\3 weeks and now feels he's coming into the shape of his life, why? Because the fitness gains from his marathon block take several weeks to be fully absorbed.

I know - you need to experience it to fully comprehend it - isn't it all a learning experience.

I surprised myself with the 17.35 5k recently and secretly think I'd have ran that with less training over the few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭KSU

Coming off big performances it can always be a bit of a balancing act, personally I find that these are the times to really dumb the sessions down to point of pure simplicity where they almost feel handy and under cooking it. The "Adaptive training" is the perfect description, you should be adapting to the huge fitness built up over specific block so the sessions etc are not the focus. You tend to hear of people that PB off the back of big blocks but more than often this is because they aren't chasing.

Generally I find best way to do this is to put all the effort into the little things (i.e ignore the sessions and let them take care of themselves and just focus on not overcooking the easy days or ignoring the little things that help with recovery)

Best of luck with the Hudson plan.

Have followed his work with Parker Stinson (pre his move to Ritz and his American record) and Allie K, the workouts look to be fairly solid (a big fan of the marathon style sessions myself and did some similar in the build up to DCM 2016). FWIW I think the type of session will suit your style of running quite well I think there is enough variety to benefit rather than the long arduous grinding out type sessions continually.

KSU wrote: »
    Coming off big performances it can always be a bit of a balancing act, personally I find that these are the times to really dumb the sessions down to point of pure simplicity where they almost feel handy and under cooking it. The "Adaptive training" is the perfect description, you should be adapting to the huge fitness built up over specific block so the sessions etc are not the focus. You tend to hear of people that PB off the back of big blocks but more than often this is because they aren't chasing.

Generally I find best way to do this is to put all the effort into the little things (i.e ignore the sessions and let them take care of themselves and just focus on not overcooking the easy days or ignoring the little things that help with recovery)

Best of luck with the Hudson plan.

Have followed his work with Parker Stinson (pre his move to Ritz and his American record) and Allie K, the workouts look to be fairly solid (a big fan of the marathon style sessions myself and did some similar in the build up to DCM 2016). FWIW I think the type of session will suit your style of running quite well I think there is enough variety to benefit rather than the long arduous grinding out type sessions continually.

Great to have you back.....we can all rest easy now that we have some wisdom back in place!

• Advertisement

Monday: Strange sensation in my left heel today - certain runners were irritating my Achilles area - but the Nike vomeros were better, but not 100%.
    Done 8m at a relaxed pace in the rain.

Tuesday: I was a bit indecisive regarding doing this session, given the 'issue' with the heel - I still dont know what it as as I can run, jump, bound, stretch all in my bare feet - but put a pair of runners on me and its sore. Very sore for certain pairs and less sore in others.

So I chose the Vomeros again and done a couple of slow miles warmup to see how it was. Seemed fine so went ahead with the mini-session, but kept the paces 10-15secs/mile lower than usual.

4x200 / 2x400 / 800 / 2x400 / 4x200 - Heel felt fine afterwards but iced it just in case.

8m all in.

Wednesday: No bother in work wearing the day shoes, heel was fine.
    I was heading to Clontarf to watch my daughters GAA match and was going to do 4-5m beforehand - but was sore again once I put on the runners - so just went to watch the game and take a rest day (on global running day!)

Iced it again this evening.

Not too sure whats going on with it - if you can run, jump etc in bare feet but not in runners does it mean you have a sore achilles or just some irratation that the heel of the runner is rubbing on the Achilles??

At this stage - I dont know if I'll race on Friday as I dont know if its an injury or not??

Advertisement