Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The main thing is keeping the main thing, the main thing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Is it worth a trip to the physio?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Definitely physio I would think. For the whole of last year and a few months of this year I had pain in the achilles area. I get regular physio and sports massages and I’d mention it every time and both would check it out and say it’s not my achilles and not to worry. It disappeared sometime in the last couple of months and I’ve no idea what it was but it never affected my running. I wouldn’t take any risks though with achilles so get checked out and hopefully it won’t be anything. Foam rolling your calves may help and also rolling the base of your foot over a tennis ball but not too hard or with too much pressure.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Be getting my ass to physio to A, had what I thought was an Achilles issue last summer to but turned out to be an overly tight calf that was sorted with a few sessions of dry needling. Your going well, get it looked at.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Duanington

OOnegative wrote: »
    Be getting my ass to physio to A, had what I thought was an Achilles issue last summer to but turned out to be an overly tight calf that was sorted with a few sessions of dry needling. Your going well, get it looked at.

Probably tightness in the calf alright given you can jump etc , the runners change the angle on the sole of your foot don’t forget so probably pull at something with a bit of tightness

Look after it either way

The pic of the heel cut from your runner was good but it's hardly a long term solution. Probably best to get it seen to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

skyblue46 wrote: »
    The pic of the heel cut from your runner was good but it's hardly a long term solution. Probably best to get it seen to.

Yep, have an appt for Monday.

Been foam rolling all week and the left calf is very tight & knotty.

Easing pressure from the heel makes it all good so it could be some form of heel Bursitis.

Done 3.5 miles with strides yesterday in old runners with the heel cut out and not a bother anywhere.

Still going to give the race a bash.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

Can you roll the foot? I'm currently doing that. Now have a pain in my hamstring again but I'm sure it is helping something as it is quite sore.

All the best this evening A, run well!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Hopefully there’ll issue turns out to be something small or just a niggle anyway.

Best of luck this eve.

aquinn wrote: »
    Can you roll the foot? I'm currently doing that. Now have a pain in my hamstring again but I'm sure it is helping something as it is quite sore.

I can roll, jump, bounce, do calf raises/drops without shoes & also with shoes with the heel cut out.

So theres just a tenderness on the heel that I need to rectify.
    A visit to my ST on Monday and wearing cut out shoes for a few days will help.

Luckily I had a few pairs in the charity bag that will be cut & used.

I think that the start of this came a while back when I was wearing Nike Epic Reacts - I had a similar issue, though not as bad.

I got a pair of Nike Zoom Flys recently (2nd hand) from a clubmate who wore them a couple of times (a freebie for me) and I think that these have caused the issue this time - I noticed it the 1st time I wore them and stupidily wore them twice more after that.

Suffice to say, they wont cause it again as they are are now cut at the heel :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,299 ✭✭✭ariana`

Good luck this eve AMK!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

good luck this evening AMK.

Any pain in the arch of the foot...My PF shows itself with pain in the heel.

Thursday: 3.5m with Strides down the PP - no issue with the heel as I cut out a pair of old New Balance shoes with about 400 miles on them. Legs felt fine.

Friday: Patrick Bell - Bohermeen 5k

I was a bit worried about the mileage and the feeling in the NB that I had cut out as they felt very big and 'unracer' like. So I had cut out the heel in the Nike Zoom Flys that I think caused the damage this time.

During my warm up for the 5k race, I didn't feel entirely comfortable starting off, but after 2 miles, felt ok in them.

Made my way to the start line after 2m warm up and with very little fuss, we were set off.

For whatever reason, I was less comfortable at 5k pace than I was at the Bob Heffernan, maybe too relaxed going into it?
    The 1st mile here is a quick mile as it has a downhill section, so I kept moving.

I didn't bother looking at the watch too much early on, Overpronator passed me after about 0.5m and I had him in my sights along with Eddie N, when the watch beeped after mile 1 I sneaked a look and had a chuckle.
    My 1st mile at Bob H was 5.37 - so I reckon the uncomfortable feeling was that my 1st mile at this race was 5.28.
    But - its not a goal race and I wanted to see how I'd do under pressure, so kept it going.

Into mile 2 and theres a few bumps on this part of the route, I was feeling ok and sneaked another look at the watch to see 'actual pace' was at 5,17. OK - hold on their, slow it down. I passed PFP from Bros Pearse on this stretch and managed to stay ahead of him.

I let OP get away a bit for a little while, but he soon was coming back to me as we approached the turn at 2miles.
    Mile 2 beeped, but I didn't look at it - it was 5.42, which surprised me when I looked back on it - I thought it was faster.

After the turn at mile 2, there is a horrible road that I despise - I remember telling Eddie N afterwards that off all the stretches of road in any race, this stretch was the ONE that I hated the most!! - Even though I know its only 4 mins long. Anyway, on this stretch, I passed about 6 people, so maybe is not too bad!

As we turned for the final time before the track, I was empty - I could feel the lactic in the legs and I had not got another gear. Unlike Bob Heffernan, where I could turn on another gear, This time, I hadn't got it. Before the track, the 3rd mile beeped at 5.49 and I tried to up the gears as I approached the track - (looking back on Strava) my 'sprint finish' was 5.33 pace (and the 0.14 took 43 seconds) where as at Bob H it was 4.53 pace and the 0.11 took 33 seconds. So a little longer (which I knew as it was the same the previous years) - but the lack of a kick was disheartening.

OP & Eddie had put about 15-20 seconds on me in the last mile and finished in super times - nearly a dead heat.

I finished in 17.47, which all considered, I was ok with. I ran Bob H in 17.35 and this was 0.04 longer - so that equates for the 10 seconds or so.
    The quick 1st mile obviously didn't do me any favours, its hard to rationalise at the time, that running 5-10 seconds slower in the 1st mile can save you double that in the last mile!

Overall - happy enough - a great race and met some great people out there. Its a great event overall.

I may have got talked into doing Kilcock 5k rather than the Clonee 10k!

Saturday: A nice run down to the PP and back - nice pace. 7.6m@8.14 pace.

Sunday: A busy day today - up early and brought the younger Princess to her U17 Dub Dev Squad trail in Sandyford. Back for 12.30 and then out for a few miles before rushing out to Croker (on the 3,30 train) to see the Dubs have a training match v a poor Kildare team. (Sorry Johnny)

My run was a decent one - ran from home and included a lap of the park, I picked up the pace in the last few miles for a 20 min pickup at about 6.45-7 min/miles.

I listened to a fantastic interview on OTB podcast with Jason Black (Adventure racer) - 50% of the interview was about his childhood bullying and it was just an amazing listen.

14.3 miles at 7.39 pace.

48.1m for the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Jmcmen

I can roll, jump, bounce, do calf raises/drops without shoes & also with shoes with the heel cut out.

So theres just a tenderness on the heel that I need to rectify.
    A visit to my ST on Monday and wearing cut out shoes for a few days will help.

Luckily I had a few pairs in the charity bag that will be cut & used.

I think that the start of this came a while back when I was wearing Nike Epic Reacts - I had a similar issue, though not as bad.

I got a pair of Nike Zoom Flys recently (2nd hand) from a clubmate who wore them a couple of times (a freebie for me) and I think that these have caused the issue this time - I noticed it the 1st time I wore them and stupidily wore them twice more after that.

Suffice to say, they wont cause it again as they are are now cut at the heel :)

Should I be contacting my Solicitor? ;)

How did you get on at the physio A?

Jmcmen wrote: »
    Should I be contacting my Solicitor? ;)

That's an ecumenical matter :pac:

How did you get on at the physio A?

No issues with the achilles, the area just over the heel is very inflamed, probably coming from very tight calfs pulling on the fascia - with the Soleus muscle being very tight.

I'll keep running in the cut outs until the inflamation goes down - I'll need to consider a more structured runner than the ones I wear as my foot moves around a bit and lands in a way thats putting pressure on certain points - as a result, I've heel spur type 'outcrops' on both my heels.
    I'm calling them Gibraltar and Rockall.

No issues with the achilles, the area just over the heel is very inflamed, probably coming from very tight calfs pulling on the fascia - with the Soleus muscle being very tight.

I'll keep running in the cut outs until the inflamation goes down - I'll need to consider a more structured runner than the ones I wear as my foot moves around a bit and lands in a way thats putting pressure on certain points - as a result, I've heel spur type 'outcrops' on both my heels.
    I'm calling them Gibraltar and Rockall.

That's an interesting one. If I remember rightly you don't really like the feel of the slightly structured shoe. I remember reading something about the best shoe being the one that feels best and as a result was thinking about moving away from a structured shoe...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,455 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

I finished in 17.47, which all considered, I was ok with. I ran Bob H in 17.35 and this was 0.04 longer - so that equates for the 10 seconds or so.

Good race, A. But do you really have that much faith in the watch?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,455 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

That's an interesting one. If I remember rightly you don't really like the feel of the slightly structured shoe. I remember reading something about the best shoe being the one that feels best and as a result was thinking about moving away from a structured shoe...

Good podcast on this from the Science of Sport guys recently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

Murph_D wrote: »

Or so little faith in the race organisers. Which one do you think f**ked up ;)

Nice to put another sub 18 under the belt. I reckon if you left the watch at home for the next one and just ran like fock you would do some serious damage to sub 17:30. Can I tempt you to test my theory since it's not a goal race :)

Murph_D wrote: »
    FBOT01 wrote: »
    Or so little faith in the race organisers. Which one do you think f**ked up ;)

Nice to put another sub 18 under the belt. I reckon if you left the watch at home for the next one and just ran like fock you would do some serious damage to sub 17:30. Can I tempt you to test my theory since it's not a goal race :)

Yeah lads - you are right of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭overpronator

I was doing the same mental arithmetic re the garmin distance from the other night, the lads comments above are spot on.

FWIW apart from the first mile split I didn't look at the watch once the other night. Was in so much pain I know it would have broken me seeing how long I had to go. Had the urge to drop out before the end of the second mile.

Big kudos to anyone that improves in chunks over 5k, its included inconceivable to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

have you ever figured out what caused the cramps for you?

I was listening to a podcast and taking Tums ( calcium carbohydrate) is meant to help stop them

might work for you especially when you know you have eaten well and you are well hydrated heading in to a big race so you know its not lack or salt and dehydration :D

Baby75 wrote: »
    have you ever figured out what caused the cramps for you?

I was listening to a podcast and taking Tums ( calcium carbohydrate) is meant to help stop them

might work for you especially when you know you have eaten well and you are well hydrated heading in to a big race so you know its not lack or salt and dehydration :D

Thanks for that - something to research.
    Much appreciated.

Training for the last 2 weeks is going well - updates are slow mainly because life is busy and work has Boards blocked :( + wasn't sure I wanted to keep going - but I know you miss me :)

so by way of an update:

Interval Sessions:

Week 1: 8x800 (75s) - Delighted with this as its the 1st session since Rotterdam that I completed as intended. Pace was 5k pace (5.40/mile or 2:50/rep) - pushed the last 2 reps to 2.45 and 2.38.

Week 2: 8x1km (80s) - Felt tired going into this but executed it very well. Target pace was 10k pace so - 5:50/mile or 3.40/rep. Averaged just under that (5.45/mile)

Tempo:

Week 1: Castleknock 5km - Pacing 20 mins - came in 19.47 and then ran around it again in 19.52. Legs a bit tired as done long run on Thursday.

Week 2: 2x15mins (2mins) + 6x200. 1st rep, the pace averaged about 6.08 and for the 2nd rep averaged about 6.04.
    Rep 1: 2.43miles / Rep 2 2.49 miles.

Found this tougher than I thought I would, but happy that I finished. I didn't purposely go faster in the 2nd rep, but did change from the Acres on the PP as I was finding it a grind.

took a 5 min jog and then done 6x200 on the Furze - sub 5 mi pace for these.

Good to have the progression in both of the Intervals and the Tempo. Gives me confidence.

Long Runs:
    Both weeks I completed 15 mile runs with the last 3miles/20 mins 'steady'.

On todays run I felt tired but was able to run the last 3miles faster than last week (7.15/6.38/6.49).

Hills / Strides
    Both weeks contained 2 stride sessions and 1 hill sprints - the 2nd weeks Hills was on a hill near me - probably not steep enough.

Easy Runs: Trying to keep these easy - I'm looking at HR now on these trying to keep it below 130. Although I met a club member on Sat for my recovery run, but the HR was in the 140's despite the run being 8.5x pace.

Mileage:

Week 1:61 miles

Week 2: 66 miles (4 runs over 10 miles this week)

Next up: Kilcock 5k on Friday

Other:
    2 Yoga sessions this week - an app from McMillan 'yoga for runners' ($10) but worth it.
    Both a physio ball yesterday and done a set of hamstring curls after my long run today - going to do more of these at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

You're in great shape A. Going really well. Some really solid sessions there.

As well as a race week, this is conveniently a 'down week' for me - so mileage & intensity will be down.

Monday:
    AM: 30 mins early recovery - Not SGMC Early :) - but decently early (7.30am) - 3.4m at 9 min/miles. - Main aim was keeping the HR down and recover.

PM: Out after work again - a few easy miles, again keeping the HR down. Body was a bit tired from the hard week last week.
    I was going to do hill sprints and strides - but the hill near the house probably isn't steep enough for real explosive hill sprints - so just chose to do the strides up that 'hill'.

6x20secs and legs felt fantastic afterwards.
    3.8 miles total

Followed up with 30 mins of Yoga and 10-15mins of core (some on the stability ball yokey bob)

Tuesday: I wanted to do a light session ahead of Kilcock on Friday, but was a bit cautious about doing the usual pre-race session that a lot of us do (4x200/2x400/800/2x400/4x200) - mainly due to a bit of fatigue and the race being so close.

Parked at Whites Road and ran the long way to the Furze Road. Decided to do the following session: 3(45s/90s)+ 3 mins (off 90s)

The main idea here was that the 45secs were at mile pace followed by the 90secs at 5k pace - so the 90secs race pace felt like jogging compared to the faster 45sec effort.
    I done this 3 times - I considered a 4th rep, but didn't push it.

Followed this with 3 mins at faster than 5km pace (15 secs faster/mile). Legs felt brilliant afterwards.
    Jogged back to the car and finished off with 4x20secs just to flush out any remaining lactic from the 3 min effort.

5.8 miles

Wednesday: A rest day

Edit: Still wearing cut out runners. I had a newish pair of Epic Reacts that irritated the heel previously, but with the heel cut out they are a great pair!!

Best of luck tomorrow evening A, run well!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

All the best tomorrow man.

Advertisement