Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The main thing is keeping the main thing, the main thing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

He had white fluid around his mouth at the finish line that I can confirm.......... may have been spit may not have been!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

On a sidenote it concerns me that you were puking "manly fluids". Hardly the ideal prep for a race ;)

So Hudson has been dropped! I must admit I still haven't managed to finish the book although I find it great.
    skyblue46 wrote: »
    Was that really "manly fluids"? I find that hard to swallow!!! Maybe he spits? I'm sure he meant 'mainly'....
    I'm not so sure S. And Healy winked at him. All seems a little suss.
    healy1835 wrote: »
    Libellous stuff.......
    OOnegative wrote: »
    He had white fluid around his mouth at the finish line that I can confirm.......... may have been spit may not have been!!

No idea what you are all talking about - I clearly typed 'mainly fluids' :rolleyes:

And Hudson is not dropped - if you think about it - it got me to the 'Specific phase' of the Marathon - this next upcoming block.
    And I'll be dipping in and out of it as I will with Daniels and Pfitz.

And sure with the 3rd Ed of Advanced Marathoning out next week, I'll probably drop the NAZ group and go full circle

My wife collects shoes - I collect running plans :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

No idea what you are all talking about - I clearly typed 'mainly fluids'

It doesn't count as a ninja edit when it's a day later ;)

So whats been going on?

Week 22-28 July: 35m total - 4/7 days - including 17miles the day prior to flying to Rhodes for a holiday - a couple of hilly runs in Rhodes.

Week 29July - 4th Aug: 24m total 5/7 days running - inc 3m fartlek / 10x45s hills / 5x3 mins - not high on distance so threw in quality.

Week 5th-11th Aug: 42miles - 5/7 days running. 18x1min on/off in Rhodes / 4 runs back in Dublin inc 16m long run.

Monday 12th Aug: 7m easy @ 8.25 pace - long sleeves today!

Tuesday 13th: AM: 4.25 miles easy / PM: 4.3miles inc 6 hill sprints + 6 strides

Wednesday: Fartlek from the NAZ/Ben Rosario playbook - 4/3/2/1/1/2/3/4/4/3/2/1 off 1 min (2 mins between the last 4/4/3)
    Easy on paper but a very tough workout. The 1 min recovery was at easy run pace NOT recovery pace - so about 8 min/miles.

total 11.35 miles.

Thursday: 6 easy - 8 min/miles at lunch

Friday: plan was for 12 easy miles, but managed 10 as both my feet were getting blisters in the same place from the Nike Vomeros - I dont think they perform well in the wet.

Saturday: 6.2miles inc 6x200m

Sunday: Long Run with Surges; Another one from the Ben Rosario plan - 8m easy and then run at HMP for the 1st 2mins of each mile for the next 8 miles - 2 easy to finish.
    I programmed the watch to be surge for 0.3miles (turned out to be 1.53mins)
    The 0.7 was to be at normal long run pace - so I ran them between 7:30 and 7:45/mile.

A great workout - and certainly a good way to break up a long run and add quality - the 2nd 8 miles flew in.

ended up with 18m at 7.26/mile (2hrs 13 mins)

67 miles for the week

Monday: easy 7@8.21 miles

Tuesday - Thursday: No running - sick as a dog - on an antibiotic. Missed 1 key session so far.

No running in 3 days makes you do stupid things.
    So I've drawn up a 12 week contingency plan for San sebastian marathon in the event that this illness lasts longer!!

Speaking of dogs - got a new dog - a Golden Cocker Retriever - little beaut of a pup, going to be a great running buddy next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭MisterDrak

Speaking of dogs - got a new dog - a Golden Cocker Retriever - little beaut of a pup, going to be a great running buddy next year.

Pic please :)

I can see plenty of up coming posts along the line of "the Dog ate my runners" !

• Advertisement

MisterDrak wrote: »
    Pic please :)

I can see plenty of up coming posts along the line of "the Dog ate my runners" !

If I knew how I would!

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭mister paul

488899.jpg

That took work!

Deserves a round of applause!

Update:

Friday: A few miles to see how I was feeling - went well enough, so decided to do FD as a long run/session on Sat.: 7.3m total

Saturday: F.Duffy 10: Plan was to do 8m WU and the 10m as a session or even steady/easy if it came to it. The 8m was a bit tough tbh - I was getting a stitch running 8 min miles towards the end - thanks to Healy for the company.

The race started, I felt great for the 1st 4 miles - all was in working order and I was ready to ramp up the last 6m to 5:50 mile and get close to a PB - but then I seen Healy walking off the route, he looked like he was struggling - he seemed to be weaving on the path - so I gave up my own race and went to help him walk to his car, 'cos thats the sort of guy I am - thankfully I got there in time, he was in a very bad way.........

Is not actually what happened, but its a good story...............

As the race started I felt ok'ish - lets do 1.5m at MP I thought - so off I went, had a chat with Mr Drak and a few more hello's and as I approached the S Bends, I was redlining. I stopped to get water and got going again at a jog but as I approached the Wellington Road incline, I was done.
    Coming to the zoo, I was 9 min miling and not looking fwd to doing anymore.

I stepped off at the zoo and seen a familiar green vest walking in the distance - we shared the warm up, so we'll share the walk of shame.

In fairness, the 1st story is better

Sunday: Zero

Monday: Zero

Tuesday: Zero

I am however having great fun looking up all manner of 'non marathon' races and training plans for this Autumn/Winter.

There is always San Seb for the food :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,455 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

I was impressed at the alternative story. Such generosity, giving up his race...

Bad day, but nearly everyone struggled. Are you overreacting? (Not that there's anything wrong with non-marathon stuff, I'm a big fan of it myself.)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭overpronator

Rotten conditions on Saturday never mind the course or the illness. Saw alot of familiar faces in bother over the course.

Would you do a cross country season perhaps?

Murph_D wrote: »
    I was impressed at the alternative story. Such generosity, giving up his race...

Bad day, but nearly everyone struggled. Are you overreacting? (Not that there's anything wrong with non-marathon stuff, I'm a big fan of it myself.)
    Rotten conditions on Saturday never mind the course or the illness. Saw alot of familiar faces in bother over the course.

Would you do a cross country season perhaps?

Not over reacting at all Murph, I was never 100% on DCM from the start and it took a lot of hmming and hawwing (scientific phases) to start the plan.

I suppose with 2 weeks holidays and now illness approaching 10 days, I'm a long way off where I should be.
    I certainly don't want to run a sub standard marathon and then have to recover etc - I'd rather be racing - I really enjoyed the summer of 5ks this year.

The thoughts of doing a few shorter races and maybe having a real go at specific training plans on 5k and/or even 10m early next year is exciting me more.

I wouldn't go as far as to suggest a season of XC, Shane, moreso maybe a couple of races!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,299 ✭✭✭ariana`

Not over reacting at all Murph, I was never 100% on DCM from the start and it took a lot of hmming and hawwing (scientific phases) to start the plan.

I suppose with 2 weeks holidays and now illness approaching 10 days, I'm a long way off where I should be.
    I certainly don't want to run a sub standard marathon and then have to recover etc - I'd rather be racing - I really enjoyed the summer of 5ks this year.

The thoughts of doing a few shorter races and maybe having a real go at specific training plans on 5k and/or even 10m early next year is exciting me more.

I wouldn't go as far as to suggest a season of XC, Shane, moreso maybe a couple of races!

I'm going to steal these 2 sentences as they sum up my thinking EXACTLY and i'm regularly having to explain why i'm not doing DCM in the real world :cool:

Best of luck whatever you decide to do AMK, it's always interesting to watch/follow anyhow :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭MY BAD

Welcome to my world :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭overpronator

Sounds like you're joining me on the sub 60 train for Trim!

Sounds like you're joining me on the sub 60 train for Trim!

Its like a vulcan mind meld! :cool: (just maybe further south if I get in)

Pretty pleased to log onto boards and see quite a lot of updates - I feared we were heading for a Ghost town.
    Thanks to P for the message yesterday - got me thinking what a great bunch we all are, important to keep in touch with the running buddies.

So - once more onto the breach...........or some such words.

The week of death - it was touch and go at times:

Following the FD 10 - took some time off and then just ran easy.

Sun-Wed: Nada
    Thursday 29th - 5 easy
    Friday 30th 4.2 easy
    Sat 31st 7 easy
    Sunday 1st: 7 easy

August finished with 165 miles and a lesson in not taking good health for granted. Need to keep doing the things I do to stay healthy - 1st illness in many years - not even a sniffle in the past few years.

Monday 2nd: 6miles in 6x20sec strides.

Tuesday: I chanced a session - but at the stime of starting - I wasn't sure what session I'd do - so just went with a Fartlek of sorts.
    4x200: at mile pace to get the legs working.
    6x400: ave about 80 secs for these but took a good 2.5 min recovery after each one.
    4-3-2-1 min: Planned to do 4 mins, felt ok afterwards so done the 3, then resolved to do the 2 and the 1. All at 5k effort or a bit harder - about 5.40-5.45 pace.

9.1 miles and felt great afterwards - a good confidence builder.

Wednesday 4th: 5m at 8.20pace.
    Thursday 5th: With the hindsight that I'd a rest day on Friday coming up I ran 10 miles - pushing the last mile (uphill).
    Felt strong on this - pace about 7.45
    Friday: Rest day (that involved very little rest!)

Saturday: Myself and wifey had planned a bit of a pub crawl on Sat night - so I wanted to get a longer run in combined with some harder stuff.
    4m warm up
    3x1m (off 1 minute) (6.05/5.56/5.56) -
    4m down

The 3x1m were done going down the North Road - no apologies at all for taking the easy route - I wanted to get it done and that enabled me to do it. Faster pace was due to downhill nature of the road - and me been totally awesome :)

11.7m for the day.

Sunday afternoon: felt remarkably ok so set off down to the park and back.
    I was aware before starting this run that I had ran 42 miles for the week - hitting 50m would be a good milestone and something to build on and only the 2nd time in the last 10 weeks that I would have ran 50 or more miles.
    Imagine that!!
    8miles at 8.05 pace. (Hindsight - ran that too fast - should ran slower as I was knackered that night after the obligatory wine with dinner)

50miles for the week.

Last 10 weeks:
    50/23/28/67/42/24/35/44/48/70 (Jul 1st-7th)

Plan going fwd:

September: Getting back into the mileage and sessions.
    Goal to get the long run at 15 and 2 sessions per week - 1 tempo/ 1 faster.
    Doing Rathfarnham 5k at end September to set a marker (wont have high expectations)

Oct to December
    Then onto an 8 week block (I bought a 5k plan from Luke Humphrey) that will get me to Jingle Bells in the PP.
    (Will have high expectations).

December to early Feb:
    The LH plan I bought is a 5k/10k plan, good 5k type sessions with a tempo building to 5miles. This will leave me in good shape for an 8 week window (Naz Elite Plan :) ) to tackle a 10 miler in late Jan/early feb (Trim or Dungarvan)

Feb-June: Be a race wh0re :)

June: Decision on starting Berlin training.

So that's my year mapped out.

Like all good plans, this will probably fall by the wayside and I'll end up running Manchester Marathon in April or something............

Nice detailed update Alan, but not a mention about the Doggy :mad:

Nice detailed update Alan, but not a mention about the Doggy :mad:

Its like having a bold 3 year old that bites.

He's gone through 2 remote controls and a candle.
    At least the toilet training is making progress.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

Its like having a bold 3 year old that bites.

He's gone through 2 remote controls and a candle.
    At least the toilet training is making progress.

Feel your pain. Our 7mth old Golden Retriever has dug a hole in the garden that he can get his full head and shoulders into. He will steal and eat anything made of fabric. Actually could probably just leave that at anything :rolleyes:

As you said the light at the end of the tunnel is a running buddy in a years time. ENJOY the journey:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

FBOT01 wrote: »
    Feel your pain. Our 7mth old Golden Retriever has dug a hole in the garden that he can get his full head and shoulders into.

Jaysis don’t fall in that hole or you could be there for days.......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

OOnegative wrote: »
    Jaysis don’t fall in that hole or you could be there for days.......

I am way ahead of you. I secured a shoe lace to a spare cobble stone and drop the lace into the hole so I can climb back out in case of an accidental tumble:p

Monday: 6.2m down to PP. 5xhill sprints + 5xstrides

Tuesday: Session – 1/2/3/4/4/3/2/1 mins off 50% rec
    Enjoyed this one. I had expected the 3/4/4/3 portions to be slower paced but it went well.
    Chose a decent & fair route for this, some into the wind
    Most of the paces were in and around 5.35 except for the final 3min (5.24) followed by the final 2 min(5.42)

50% recovery time for all reps.

8.1miles total

Wednesday: Easy run – 6.7m@ 8.17/mile

Thursday: Lap & a bit of PP – 8.76miles / 8.06 pace

Friday: Session – 3mile Tempo
    Was initially apprehensive about this as I hadn’t ran a 3m tempo since training for Rotterdam (bar a park run).
    I chose an easy enough route going down the North Road and had 6.15/mile in my head as a target pace.
    After a min or so, I felt great so kept it going at a harder pace. Last 3mins or so were up Chesterfield and was tough enough.
    Definitely faster than Tempo effort, but happy with the run (6.00/5.54/5.55) – I ran similar last week but has a min recovery between each rep.
    7.5m total.

Sat: Recovery run – 4.12@8.21 pace

Sunday: Turned up for the club long run but only 1 other person was there – miserable weather, but we ran a good solid 10-11 miles and I picked it up for the last 2 miles or so.

13.42m @7.25 (6.47/6.52 last 2 miles)

55miles for the week and a very decent weeks training.
    Just need to re-introduce the S&C this week.

Monday: Ran down to the PP and done 6x10s Hill Sprints and then 6x20s strides on the flat.

Was a bit damp and the voomeros were pure awful.

total: 6.5 miles -

Tuesday: Thought about doing a session today and after a couple miles warm up, I was doing some 200's as the legs felt dead - decided to leave the session as it was a struggle on the 200's - jogged back to the car.

4.7m

Wednesday: Bit of a $hit day in work, so was fired up going out.
    I was toying with a couple of different variations of a workout (6x1km (10k pace) + 6x30s Hills + 6x15sec strides), but in the end time was against me and I ended up doing 5x3min@5k+ 4x1min.

The 5x3mins felt a bit tougher than last weeks 1,2,3,4,4,3,2,1 session - but got through it and the last 2 reps were the fastest (5.31) - off 90s recovery
    The 4x1min were at mile pace - between 5-5.10 - off 45 secs.
    Truth be told I was going to do 5x1mins but was pure boll!xed after the 4.

Legs felt very strong though on the warm down.

20min walk with the madra later on. (think I walked about 100 meters.......damn sniffer)

8.1m total.

Thursday: 8.2m down to the PP and back - last 4m were a bit lumpy.

Friday:
    Body a bit tired - I was going to take a rest day, but thought I'd be better served with 4 easy miles and strides.

Saturday I had intended on doing the HM in the park as my long run, but decided to run down to the PP and support as many as I could.
    Had a chat with Sean, who may have few dopplegangers if Boards accounts are to be believed.

I ran the opposite way to the race trying to spot as many as I could - then went up Chesterfield, keeping the top 20 or so informed of their progress (placing and distance to person ahead) - great to see one of L's chargees (I think he's still coached by L??) running a fantastic race.

A lot of the guys at the pointy end were either solo or in very small groups, with the next group so far ahead - I guess that makes things harder.
    I ran briefly with a friend of mine, telling her she was 4th female - only to discover at he end that I'd missed a couple :) - she laughed about it.
    Healy had a great day - looking comfortable at every stage and a storming finish.

Great performances by a lot around here - congrats.

13.1m (with a few stops)

Sunday: a few miles down to the park and back - easing the hangover.
    5.7m

Just over 50m for the week - thats the 3rd week of 50 or more miles in a row.
    Body a little tired - so I'll need to watch that - running 20/21 days may not have helped.

Monday 23rd: Rest day

Tuesday 24th: 8.3m - a lap of the park and 6x20s strides.

A gentle intro back into S&C on Monday & Tuesday - just some planks & Press ups.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭healy1835

'Healy had a great day - looking comfortable at every stage and a storming finish.'

Thanks A :) looked comfortable until the last 300m maybe.....just looked at Finisherpix :o serious gurning going on up the finishing straight!

Wednesday: 7m down to the PP and back - listening to David Flynn interview (or part of it - it went on for 1hr 40) - a super listen.

Thursday: 4x200 / 2x400 / 800 / 2x400/ 4x200

I knew going into this that the trick here was to run the 400's controlled and blast the 800 - but I messed it up and ran the whole thing hard - probably mile pace or faster for most of it.

6.8m total

Friday: No running.

Sat: 3.2m - inc 6 strides.

Sunday: Rathfarnham 5k (when I type in 'Rathfarnham' - autocorrect wants to change it to 'Marathoner'....... true)

Up early on Sunday and off to pick up my number in Terenure College - all very civalised over there and flawless organisation.
    A little 2m warm up with strides, bumping into Overpronator & BeepBeep.

I thought I was a little far back in the starting line - but when we set off and everyone ran off at 4.40 pace - it cleared the space in front of me :)
    I ran with the crowd for a bit but then eased off the gas a bit.
    My plan was to run the 1st mile at 5.40 pace - no matter what as I knew the Terenure Road would hurt a bit. Mile 1 beeped at 5.29 :):)

I was picking off people ahead, trying not to look at the watch - we turned at Terenure Road and I came up and passed OP - I wasn't sure if that was a good idea but I was feeling good.
    I was in a group and noticed the pace falling off a bit, so moved onto the next group - I could see the traffic lights up ahead, way ahead - so focused on the back of Shanes vest (OP passed me again).
    Mile 2 beeped just at the lights and the turn left was just ahead. Mile 2 was 5.46.
    I was feeling the pace at that stage, but I could feel the effort reduce slightly as we started the downhill part. I tried to increase the pace but was hurting and thought it better to just try and hold the pace.

I was running beside a female & male runner - both of them were the loudest gaspers I've heard in a race - it was like I was in a Rhino stud farm hearing the 2 of them.

Anyway - I was trying to increase the pace and passed the 800m to go sign - these are a bad idea as they last forever!
    After about what seemed like an hour, I passed the 400m to go sign and in my head I was saying 'there is no way I can move faster' - 'theres no sprint finish' - but the 2 Rhino Lovers beside me were still at it, So I manage a sprint finish for the last 300m or so - the 0.1 came in at 5.06 pace.

I probably could've started the sprint earlier or ran faster overall if I can train my brain better!

Finished in 17.36 - delighted with that as I had no idea how I was going to do. I'd have taken 17.50 at the start.
    No dry wretch at the end - meaning I probably didn't give enough effort.

Met up with OP, Mellow Yellow and BeepBeep - all ran outstanding races and was introduced to Ivory Tower, another legend of Boards.

A short jog back to the college and home!

5k in 17.36

Monday: 7.2 miles down to the PP in the dark and wet. Loved it. Finished off the David Flynn podcast.

202miles for September.

Tues Oct 1st: 7.2 miles in the rain at lunch - inc 5 laps of Porterstown Park

Wed: Session: 4x40s /2x4mins / 2x3mins / 2x2mins

Still not 'on plan' - so I was torn between doing a 5k paced session or a CV type session - went with the 5k paced stuff, which in hindsight may have been a mistake so soon after Rathfarnham 5k - last thing I want to do is burn myself out.

Reps all in the ballpark (5.38-5.32) but felt a lot harder than it should have done.

8.3m total

Thursday: 6.6m around Porterstown - mainly on Grass.

Friday: 4.4m - headlamp time - listened to a great interview on 2nd Captains with Matt Doherty - very articulate young man.

Sat: Session: Again off plan - so made up this one.

2m tempo / 12min continous hills / 4x200

Tempo miles went 5:59 / 6.11 - I took 2 mins jog and started on the hills - this was the hills at the furry glen at the intersection of the Furze and the OS.
    After 5 mins I was knackered - my heart was in my mouth the entire time. A great work out - its not so much a speed workout as a strength workout (as my old MSB coach used to say).

Following that - I jogged to the Furze and done 4x200m.

Sunday: Club run.

Was worried how the legs would be after Sat, but felt great. Kept mainly to the trails.

15m at 7.38

56m for the week.

56m for the week: My 2nd biggest mileage week since July 1st.

Back on a plan from this week - good 5k paced sessions with alternate weekly tempos (3-5miles) and progressions.

Hopefully get me in decent 5k nick and also allow me to progress seamlessly to a 10m plan in December.

• Advertisement

Monday 7th Oct: Down to the PP and back - 6.2m / 8.16 pace - apparently it happened.

Tuesday 8th: Session: 12 x 400

This is the 1st session of the plan I'm following and as such its a fairly 'light one' relative to what I'm used to.
    I thought about doing a different session, but the following weeks progress from this one - so I kept with the session, but ran the recoveries at about 8 min/miles.
    The 400's were in about 80 secs - slightly faster than 5k pace and the recoveries in 2 mins, about 8 min/miles.

A real super session - finish rep, turn around, run back, and repeat - done the whole thing on the Furze road between the 2 sets of bollards. thats about 10k running on the same 400m piece of road. My BFF Sean Hehir passed by 2 or 3 times - he's stalking me soooo much that he's even joined our club...... jeez, that guy.

8.7m total

Wednesday: 10m down to the park and around the trails - ticking along nicely 8.15 pace. Legs were tired but thats what this plan is about. Making them stronger - its a Luke Humphrey plan after all.

Thursday: Planned rest day.

Friday: 4m Tempo

I was both looking fwd to this and also dreading it.
    Of all the workouts that I know will benefit me - its these ones.

I wanted to choose a fair enough route, same ups & downs, tail & head wind - the idea was to do the run and even if the pace fell, to see it out at MP.
    A 3.2m warm up and some stretches and I was off.
    Route was up North Road to the CK gate and back on the OS road, Furze Road and finish on Chesterfield.
    Paces for the 4m were: 6.14/6.05/6.07/6.07

Finished feeling that I could have run another mile or so, which is a good sign. Next week is a progression run - a bit longer but starting slower.

3m CD for 10m total.

Crossed over 2000 miles for the year on this run.

Saturday: Inspired by what happened in Vienna, set off for another 10m run.
    Legs weren't too bad despite a few beers on the Friday night.

10m at 7.54 pace.

Sunday:
    Was out again on Sat night - just had a couple though but was up late and missed the club start time - so I set off in the pi$$ing rain listening to Scullions latest 2 podcasts. Looks like he's doing DCM.

A real miserable wet run - legs a bit tired, so keeping the pace reasonable. 6x20s strides at the end.

12.3 miles

57m over 6 days. I'll take that.

Advertisement