Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The main thing is keeping the main thing, the main thing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Better update this thing tomorrow

Don't do what I did and leave the log slide after winning log of the Year!

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Treviso

It shows that canvassing does work, as shameless as it is :)

Congrats though, this log got my vote even though I've never interacted on it. Even us newbies get a lot of info from it. I was all set to start punching my legs if they started cramping during DCM!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Tuesday 31st Dec: Session Day - Had planned a few beers for NYE so wanted to get this session done and have a recovery on NYD.

The session was 5m Easy / 3x2m + 2x1m (off 2 mins) all at Tempo pace (about 6.05-6.10/Mile).

These long tempo repeats were my least favourite run in the lead up to Rotterdam last year and I don't think I completed 50% of these runs as prescribed - so I was feeling a bit of trepidation before the run.
    In the 5m easy section, I was feeling fatigued and was convincing myself to put the session off - as I got nearer to the 5 miles, I figured I'd try 1 rep and see how I felt.

Surprisingly - it went very well, as I finished the last 2m set, I was down by the Zoo - I reckoned that the next 2x1m would be tough as it was uphill into a breeze, so vowed to do them at MP if needed - still a good session. But once I got going, I hit the tempo pace quite well going up Chesterfield.
    Mind Games are the business.

1st Set: 2m: 6:00/6:04
    2nd Set: 2m:6:06/6:08
    3rd Set: 2m: 6:04/6:07
    4th Set: 1m: 6.09
    5th Set: 1m: 6.14

Total: 14.3 miles

Wed 1st Jan: As things transpired, I was quite well behaved on NYE - I was greeted to a very calm day in the PP as I done a recovery run - watching the crowd warm up for the Tom Brennan 5k. Spoke to a few of my clubmates, including the female winner!

5.8m all on grass - 8.35 pace

Thursday 2nd: I've been looking for a different podcast to try - getting a bit bored of 2nd Captains, well, bored of Ken Early actually.

I came across an interview with Scott Fauble - US Runner - 2.09 in Boston this year - on the Rich Roll Podcast.
    I downloaded the 2019 'Best of' podcast from Rich Roll and loved it - he goes in deep on a number of topics, with each podcast over 2 hours! - So I've about 400 podcasts to pick and choose from in the coming months!

Also listened to Scullions latest - I really hope he nails it in Heuston, for his own mental health!

Ran down to the park and done a nice lap, heading for home - a hillier last 5m.

10.8m at 7.50 pace.

Friday 3rd: Up early as I had a busy day planned (not work) - out before 8am and down to the park and back - dont recall too much about it, but it happened.

7.4m at 8:20 pace

Saturday: Long run Session: Plan 2E/8MP/1E/3MP/2E

I though that this would be a piece of pi$$ - afterall during my training prior to Jingle bells, I done Tempos and progression runs up to 8miles at a faster pace than this.
    Up late though, had a piece of toast and coffee - done my business :) and out the door.

Felt fine on the warm up - stopped to do a few stretches and seen Sean go by - looking as lean as I've ever sen him.

Started off on the 8m segment and by 0.5m I was huffing and puffing. Jesus, whats going on. This felt harder than the 2m tempo session midweek. It was a bit windy in patches, but I fet awful out there.

Thought about canning the session and going again on Sunday, but also thought logically about it - it was still 13-14 weeks to Manchester, any sort of a session at MP would be beneficial, especially if the effort felt harder.
    So, I changed the session to 2m MP reps - aiming for 6:30's.

Done 4x2m MP as part of a 16m run and it felt very hard - but surprisingly, afterwards, the legs weren't sore, the body didn't feel fatigued as previous week, - definitely not enough fuel and definitely did not prep for this session as I should have the previous day. Lesson learned.

Still a good session though!

16miles at 7.16 pace

Sunday: Met up with the club for a few miles in the PP - a good crowd.
    I resisted the urge to run harder with the young lady leading us out, so stuck with the crowd - a few of them I haven't spoke to in a while.
    Really enjoyed this run, its a great social outlet and I need to run with others more often.

Legs felt great before, during and after.

8.8m at 8.07/mile

70m for the week.

Happy with the 2 festive weeks - totaling 143 miles with some good sessions and long runs.

Back to routine now!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Lean?? You obviously missed the porter belly as I trundled past! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭healy1835

Bored of Ken Early! :o blasphemous stuff...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

I still love a bit of Ken.

Running-wise, other than Scullion, I've started listening to the Letsrun and Runner Beans podcast recently. Letsrun is not bad, though I skip through the chats about US High School and college running as I've no interest. Rojo regularly comes out with total nonsense from time to time, but I guess that's his role. Runner Beans has some excellent interviews, though some of the running banter can drag on and the audio quality isn't great.

Really liking Runnerbeans, I've listened to it for a while now - some great interviews in there and really like how they cover the bigger races in the South, despite being a NI podcast.

Must look into Letsrun - hopefully its nothing like the forums.

Regarding Ken - not really bored - just find him annoying recently! - At times I dont know what is his interpretation of events or if what he says has actually happened!

Monday: Rather than go straight to the Phoenix Park like usual, I mixed it up a bit - 'cos I'm rad like that.
    I went in through the Ashtown Gate, not the Castleknock Gate. Major changes going on there. New year, New me............... :)

8m/8.14 pace

Tuesday:

I hmmed and hawwed about doing a session or another easy run and leave the session to Wednesday (less breezy).
    I wanted to get it done on Tuesday as I'm starting a pilates class on Thursday and didn't want tired legs going into this.

Decided to run the easy miles part of the session 1st and get a feeling for the wind.
    1st 4m were into the wind and I knew any session into the breeze would be tough.

After an hour (7.4m at 8.14 pace) Got back to the car, changed into less warm top - dumped the earbuds and phone and started off on the session.

Session: 1 hour easy pace / 6x1km CV (90s) /4x200 (200) / CD (Original plan was to do the 6x1km at 5k pace with 3mins rec, but CV pace would suffice given the conditions and darkness - with a shorter recovery)

I started at Castleknock Gate and done the 6x1k down the North Road - there was a tailwind for the 1st 1, side on or shelter for the next 3 and last 2 were exposed. For the 90s recovery - I slow jogged back on myself to maximise the distance on the North Road.

The 1st 4x1km went super - yes it was slightly downhill, but the headlamp is next to useless doing faster stuff - my new Nike Reacts were also slipping a bit on the damp surface, I could feel pressure on the left quad as a result. 1st 4 were 3.36 (5.48 pace) (5k pace is 5.40).

The next rep was tough towards the end - I knew my form was slipping and that it would be slower - sure enough 3.42 (5.58 pace).
    I thought about canning the last rep, but took an additional 30-40 secs walk recovery and went for it - even if it was a 3.50 - its still in the legs.
    I was just coming to the end of it and my watch died, so I guessed the last 200m or so - I know I was at a faster pace than the previous rep, but the last 200m or so was uphill - so we'll call it a 3.42 as well.
    The prescribed CV pace for me is 3.36-3.41 per 1km - so happy with the outcome.

I walked for about 2 mins and jogged to a nearby spot I knew to be 200m (my wife is amazed that I know these distances in the park).
    Done 4x200m (counted to 40 seconds) and jogged back to the start.

This left the worst part of the run - the 2.5m back to the car - the wind had picked up something terrible and the gusts were awful - I was standing still at 1 stage.
    Delighted to finish - I was tired afterwards, but done a decent job at starting the recovery right away.

15m total

Wednesday: Recovery run - 6 miles down to the Park and back. Nice & easy 8.30 pace

Thursday: Caught for time on Thursday - lunchtime run around Porterstown and then 5x20s uphill strides (not hill sprints).
    5.2miles

Thursday PM: Joined a Pilates class - really enjoyed it!

Friday: Ran out of time on Friday (sick doggy at the vet) and the body a bit tired. I could have ran Friday evening, but I didn't as I wanted to be in good shape for this weekends session.

Saturday: Session: WU/3mTempo/7m Easy / 3x1m (1 mimn) / CD (Original was WU 2x2m/ 7mE/ 2T/CD).

I changed the original plan slightly - but still got in 6m of faster stuff in the full session.
    It was dry when I started this, so chose the Epic Reacts to wear rather than the Solarboost. This was a bad choice as within a mile it was bucketing down and the Nikes were slipping again. The Solarboost have 'continental' rubber on them and are great in the rain.
    I dont mind running in the rain, but that damn wind can F right off.

I done a 2.5m Warm up and ran the 3mTempo from Castleknock Gate down to the Zoo (North Road) - this is somewhat sheltered from the wind and due to the downhill nature, I ran it a bit faster to make up.
    3m Finished in 18.09 - happy with that.

Then onto the 7m easy - I went into the War Memorial Gardens - by this stage, I was like a drowned rat, so the rain wasn't bothering me. Once you are wet, you're wet. You cant get more wet!

Back into the park and upto the C'Knock Gate again for the 3x1m.
    They went very well - I probably could have done another 3m Tempo at a slower pace, but I'm conscious of over doing it too early and over training.
    Paces for the 3x1m were: 6.06 / 5.55 / 5.54 - I wanted to get progressively faster from Tempo to 10k pace - so happy with that.
    1 min rec was great - just enough time to reset the body and go again.

2.2m cooldown -

17.8m total

When I got back to the car, I had a dry top waiting, but my hands were incapable of removing the wet top. So just drove home.
    Recovery wasn't great, except Choc Milk just before a shower as I had to pick up doggy from the vet, all's well with him now.

Sunday: I'm enjoying doing my recovery runs with the club - I'm running with the group and letting the faster lads & ladies off.
    A group of 10-12 initially, then 6-7 and finally 3 of us.
    A good way of getting in 8-10 miles at a nice relaxed pace with company.

8.24m/8.09 pace

61m for the week. (+ a Pilates class and a day off)

After todays run, I noticed some tenderness above the knee, below the quad. I reckon it came from the 2 longer runs this week in the rain with the slippy runners.
    Stretched the quad a bit, iced it and will foam roll later.

I'll check in with my ST as well this week (who's also my Pilates instructor!)

Monday: Took a rest day on Monday to give the tenderness around the knee/quad a rest.
    Foam rolled a lot - found the IT band side very tight on left leg and the quad was knotty as F.

Tuesday: Leg felt good - foam rolled it a bit and went off on a run - I cancelled the planned session but still wanted to get in the distance.
    After 6m or so, I passed the house, the leg felt fine, so kept on going back to the Park.

14.85m at 8.04 pace

Wednesday:
    AM: Treatment with my ST on the leg - 1 hour and a few dry needles later I was off to work.

PM: 8m @8.10 - lap of the park - down the glen, up the S bends and back around.

Still cant stomach Ken E (especially about Spurs)

Thursday: Up early to do a few miles as I have a Pilates class this evening and I want to start doing more morning runs anyway.
    Found this particulary hard, no doubt they get easier.

Good interview with Twitter CEO on Rich Roll - very interesting character.

7.3 @8.20 pace.

• Advertisement

I'd forgotten you were a Spurs fan.......NOW the Ken Early hate makes sense :)

Friday: 7 miles after work - 8.18 pace - legs tired today after Pilates on Thursday - but not as tired as last week.

Saturday: I was in 256 minds if I should do; An Easy run, a hard session, an easy session, a progression, a shorter run with harder stuff...... So I compromised :)

I met AJ (a Cru runner - former MSB, chasing sub3 in Seville) for the 1st part of it.
    We did just over 5m easy and she wanted to do 3m at 6.50 pace - during the run we changed it to 4miles and as the 1st 2 miles were progressively faster - I thought I'd push on a bit to see if we could do the full 4 as a progression. - 6.47 / 6.42 / 6.40 / 6.31

It was harder than I expected - these should be bread and butter at this stage - so I take this as a bit of a wake up call around diet and hydration (pizza and wine the night before).
    We then done 4m easy and we parted company - she was doing another 2m at MP and I went off for a faster few miles.
    I done a 15 min tempo - about 6.15 pace - which is not bad for mile 14-17 in a long run - but I was tiring towards the end - I had thought about extending it to 3 miles but I was fading fast.

3 miles cool down for 18.5 total.

Sunday: I was out Saturday night, so missed the Sunday run with the club - went out later for a few recovery miles on the grass around the Papal cross - lovely underfoot down there.

5.3 at 8.30 pace.

61 miles this week (+ a Treatment on the quad + a Pilates class + a rest day).

11 weeks to Manchester - that's a long time to keep motivated and to ensure I peak at the right time.
    A couple of weeks ago, I was thinking that I was really fit and that I could possibly over train - this week I'm thinking that I'm knackered more and I'm so unfit!! Amazing how things work - no doubt its the cumulative fatigue from the miles, back to work, Pilates class and the treatment this week.
    Next 2 weekends are race weeks.

For Raheny, I plan to only slightly taper - but still run 55 miles or so - still going to do a decent session on Tuesday with a lot of volume.

For John Tracey 10 - I'll use that as a down week - longish run the Monday after Raheny and maybe some short sharp stuff on Wednesday.

Then its 9 weeks to Manchester where I'll follow the Naz Elite plan by Ben Rosario.

So technically, I'm not marathon training yet..........

BTW - was great following Scullion today - absolutely delighted for him. You know your invested when your whole family knows he's running today and they are asking me how he's doing.

Some months back, when he started podcasting, I put up a post here, kinda mocking his slightly arrogant way of speaking - I really regret that now.
    He does put everything out there, he is really honest in an open way and its absolutely brilliant, compulsive listening. My goto podcast when it comes out.
    Top marks to the man today.

Friday:

11 weeks to Manchester - that's a long time to keep motivated and to ensure I peak at the right time.

Yep, that's rattling around my ceann this morning. Scullion was talking about there's nothing more dangerous than a runner who's fit...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭jfh

BTW - was great following Scullion today - absolutely delighted for him. You know your invested when your whole family knows he's running today and they are asking me how he's doing.

Some months back, when he started podcasting, I put up a post here, kinda mocking his slightly arrogant way of speaking - I really regret that now.
    He does put everything out there, he is really honest in an open way and its absolutely brilliant, compulsive listening. My goto podcast when it comes out.
    Top marks to the man today.

totally agree, i have been following him since the start & he's compulsive listening, some days he's hard to listen to but one thing that's for sure, he's raw & you find yourself really rooting for him. He's brought a lot a accessibility to a distance running.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Damo 2k9

Will you stick with 'sessions' for the long runs for the whole block? Or will you have stepback weeks where it will be just long runs easy?

I find the longer sessions absolutely fantastic, one that stood out for me last year was a 20 mile but different paces in blocks throughout, similar to the above but a lot slower :pac: It was a real confidence booster coming into the marathon and a great change from the usual LSR pace I was used to.

Damo 2k9 wrote: »
    Will you stick with 'sessions' for the long runs for the whole block? Or will you have stepback weeks where it will be just long runs easy?

I find the longer sessions absolutely fantastic, one that stood out for me last year was a 20 mile but different paces in blocks throughout, similar to the above but a lot slower :pac: It was a real confidence booster coming into the marathon and a great change from the usual LSR pace I was used to.

I was actually scheduled to run a 'vanilla' run last weekend, but as I skipped the midweek session, I threw in a bit of 'stuff'.

The day after Raheny, I'll do an easy 16-18miles (depending on good legs!) and then I think I have 2 'easy' long runs in the plan, the rest will be with 'stuff'.

There's different ways of getting the same result.
    I know that the Crusaders guys have 3 sessions/week and an easy long run.
    Jack Daniels, Tinman Elite and the NAZ Elite team (Ben Rosario) have 'stuff' in most of their long runs - but they do have an easy long run every 3 weeks or so.
    Personally, I love the long runs with Stuff - even the midweek sessions can be 15-16 miles worth of volume!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Damo 2k9

I was actually scheduled to run a 'vanilla' run last weekend, but as I skipped the midweek session, I threw in a bit of 'stuff'.

The day after Raheny, I'll do an easy 16-18miles (depending on good legs!) and then I think I have 2 'easy' long runs in the plan, the rest will be with 'stuff'.

There's different ways of getting the same result.
    I know that the Crusaders guys have 3 sessions/week and an easy long run.
    Jack Daniels, Tinman Elite and the NAZ Elite team (Ben Rosario) have 'stuff' in most of their long runs - but they do have an easy long run every 3 weeks or so.
    Personally, I love the long runs with Stuff - even the midweek sessions can be 15-16 miles worth of volume!

Yeh, in the same boat as yourself, much prefer the long runs with stuff. I don't know the technicalities (maybe someone can jump in here?) But I'd imagine they are more beneficial than just vanilla runs? Especially for speed endurance that we are looking for, regardless of the actual pace.

Its making the long run more specific to the event by adding faster portions.

There's an old adage attributed to Renato Canova (Kenyan based Italian coach) that if you do all your long runs at a slow pace, then you'll become quite good at running slow.

https://www.reddit.com/r/artc/comments/7vwxq0/renato_canova_on_marathon_preparation_valencia/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Does that apply to someone who's aerobic base is completely lacking though ? For example a first time marthoner who's only been running for a year or so would be better served to run vanilla long runs than runs with stuff (injury risks aside)?

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭KSU

There's an old adage attributed to Renato Canova (Kenyan based Italian coach) that if you do all your long runs at a slow pace, then you'll become quite good at running slow.

https://www.reddit.com/r/artc/comments/7vwxq0/renato_canova_on_marathon_preparation_valencia/

Careful using Canova.

He has stated numerous times that the idea's he puts forward are based on International athletes (i.e those who have a high aerobic base from years of high mileage) he actually says that amateurs should operate opposite to this (i.e running moderate to low intensity with little modulation) in so far as amateurs need to become efficient at running that slow pace (first atleast)
    Damo 2k9 wrote: »
    Yeh, in the same boat as yourself, much prefer the long runs with stuff. I don't know the technicalities (maybe someone can jump in here?) But I'd imagine they are more beneficial than just vanilla runs? Especially for speed endurance that we are looking for, regardless of the actual pace.

For me standard long runs are essential for most. With many who don't have years of higher mileage under their belt a standard long run is enough of a stimulus in in itself. As we develop long runs get more comfortable and no longer put the same stress stimulus on the body then you need to start looking at other ways to fatigue body and stimulate the right systems.

As a general rule with people I am coaching in terms of stuff in the Long Run (this is only my person views on the matter however)

Beginner/lower aerobic base

- Mostly easy long runs with the odd progression to steady effort
    - light surges (20 sec - 1 min) plenty of recovery just to reset form when fatigued

Moderate Mileage base (experienced runner but lower aerobic base)

- Progression runs and Steady Runs
    - Inclusion of the odd MP paced alteration or reps

High Mileage/ Good base

- Sustained MP runs
    - HM intervals
    - Over Distance Long runs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,455 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

With reference to the club with 3 sessions and 1 LR - have you dug down to the results? It was always my impression (possibly completely wrong) that many good runners in that club did not observe this schedule (which mainly describes the menu of available club runs). I know of another club where it's possible to do 7 hard runs a week (if you only go out once a day).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Best of luck tomorrow A, run well!!

Forgive me father for I have sinned - its been a while since my last confession............

Monday: Went for a run during lunch break at work - down to Corkagh Park and around it - what a lovely place to run. Certainly helped the mojo.
    6.9m @ 7.49 pace

Tuesday: Session - went out with the intention of doing 2x5m at MP'ish - but had not settled on what I'd do even after I started - I just knew I didn't want to run as fast as Tempo pace as Raheny would give me a good 5 mile workout.

Ran down to the zoo as the warm up and then ran up Chesterfield, and back down the North Road - turning in by the triangle and past the Aras.
    Finishing up by Garda HQ/Back side of the Zoo. - a couple of 6.20's in there kept it honest, but a little too fast maybe.

Done the bones of a mile recovery, before starting the next segment - meant to be another 5 mile at MP.
    1st 2 miles were uphill at 6.38 pace, next 2 were at 6.22 pace - again, slightly too fast.

Coming down Chesterfield - I just felt that the effort was too hot for the pace, so I left it at 4 miles for the 2nd rep - still happy enough with the workout, but knowing that I need to more MP longer stuff.

14.5 miles at 7.06 pace - it be interesting to see how Raheny goes after this! Its amazing the number of times you do a shorter workout on race week and wonder if a longer workout would have been just as effective??

Wednesday: 7.8m at 8.10 pace - felt very strong today - one of those runs when you know you are tired, but feel strong enough to get through it. happy with th run.

Thursday: Met KSU today in Corkagh park for a few miles - I was just doing a few to watch the mileage (and I had a meeting to get back to) but truth be knowing, I could have ran with him for 20 miles as the chat was great.

4.7m at 8.09 pace

Friday: from the house down to the park and back - 6.9 miles at 8.18 pace.

Feeling fat, slow and tied all day - really hating race week - the Fridge is my best friend as it keeps calling to me.
    Went out for dinner tonight at 8pm - told 2nd born we'd be home at 9.30 - 10 / met friends in the pub. Ouch.

Saturday: Long Lie in today - brekkie in bed :) too - got up and went for a few miles in the park, put on the new Next % for strides - they are light, but they dont feel as good as the 4% and they slap a lot while running. The min I put on the 4% I felt they were cheat runners - with the next % they feel less so.

4miles with 6x20sec strides.

Sunday: Raheny 5mile

I was a mixed bag over the weekend with this race - part apprehension and part disinterest.
    While this was not the 'main thing' for me - it did offer an opportunity to see how I was v last year (following similar plan) - I do dislike Sunday races butI was distracted enough on Saturday as my MIL is in a Convalescence home recovering from a hip operation, so went to see her on Sat Night. Sunday was a trip to the mother, prior to raheny - but still felt a bit sickly in the tummy thinking about the race.

Got to Raheny, parked illegally on the Church grounds and set about my warm up. As per previous years, went back for my gloves. A chat wiht a few faces from here including Laura - that chat stayed with me during the race and framed my race - done a few strides and lined up about a month behind the starters.

There was a starting gantry this year and mats, so I knew where the start-line was, but I was very far back. There was a lady next to me, who would probably run it in an hour, texting her family, so I knew I wasn't in the right place :(

Gun went off and the first few hundred meters was a $hit show for me - I think the clock was at 17-18 seconds before I crossed it!. A lot of weaving in and out but eventually found a line that offered a good stretch of the legs.
    Found myself running too fast initially, trying to catch up to people who should be behind me. Settled into a groove and felt good. I knew it was going to be a good day.
    Mile 1 clicked by in 5.51

The 2nd mile was more over taking and trying to keep from some of the gusts by hiding behind a couple of big guys.
    I got a bit confused on this mile as my pace increased in certain parts - I was reminded of last years update regarding this being a fast mile - yet it didn't seem that fast. (turned out to be the wrong mile).

Mile 2 beeped at 5.51
    and I got a bit worried that I was slowing down on the fast part of the course.

I then realised that it was mile 3 that was the fast mile and I picked it up slightly - I seen Eddie N ahead and had him in my sights, I came upon him and Jamie at the same time, a quick chat with both and was off in search of the next person - I was racing at this stage - the watch was secondary.

Mile 3 was a quick 5.41.
    The road down to the park is nice - I relaxed a little here, knowing that the 1st bit of the hairpin would be tough, so approached it as such.
    I tucked in behind some lads on th up, but they were going much too slow, so pushed on and felt good.

I turned the hairpin and 4m beeped at 5.47 - I was delighted at that as I felt strong and knew for the 1st time that a PB might be on the cards.
    I kept trying to pass people - pick them out, pass - go again..........make sure time isn't slowing.......& repeat.....

As I got to the end of the park I knew I was in with a good PB chance - DD gave me a shout - quick check of pace on the watch and out of the park we went.

Not long to go now - I felt great, I kept passing people and as we hit the turn I risked another glance at the watch - I could just run it in at this pace and PB or I could push on for a decent PB - I pushed on, passing another 1 or 2 - took the final turn and put on the afterburners - my finish was at 4.5x pace. Last mile was the fastest at 5.37.
    Crossed the line as 29.02 ticked by, but knew I had a lot of seconds in the bag.

Official time of 28.46 for a good 7 second PB from Dunboyne BHAA in 2017.

Delighted with this at this stage. Did the new runners help - well, I was 9 seconds faster this year, but last year, I had ran 4.92m vrs 4.99 this year - so its a bit relative.
    The records will show its a PB as it is a PB!!

Great meeting a lot of Boardsies afterwards - wont name them all for fear of missing some - but a great group of people.

Warm down with Healy having the chats about next weekend and Manchester.

Onwards to John Tracey next week.

54miles or the week.
    Looks like Tuesdays session didn't really have an impact.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭laura_ac3

Well done A. Sorry I didn't see you to give you a shout as you went by my corner, trying to look for all the faces as well as watching for rogue cars!

Delighted to see the PB - and that feeling is what we were talking about! :)

Good luck at Trim.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Well done A on a brilliant time & race report! I love picking people out & hoping to eventually pass them by, it really helps :)

Best of luck in Trim!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭MisterDrak

Good man Alan, great run, and well done on the new PB.

At this stage you should know about placing for the Raheny start, it could be argued that there were a few more second to be had there. Anyway congrats again.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

I cant keep up! With the reports.. let alone the running.

Super running Sir, nicely executed PB. Of all of them this weekend yours seemed most measured. Nice pacing!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,299 ✭✭✭ariana`

Likewise i have a dislike for Sunday races, too much time waiting for it and not even time for post race celebrations either :cool:

Really delighted to see this PB. You always seem to be chugging out big runs day in day out and i know marathons are more your thing for now but great to get a bit of pay out at the shorter stuff too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Congrats on the new PB. That's a super solid run, well done. Maybe Sunday races will grow on you ;-)

Advertisement