Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The main thing is keeping the main thing, the main thing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

Jaysus - at least let me get my report out before you all applaud me................:D

Yeah, I think you should have won the bleeding thing!
    Perhaps if you'd brought the dog along....!

Well done - Great time!

PS: Apologies for not being more communicative the last day in the Park, I was mulling over a few possible strategies in my head for my final 7km.
    And to be honest I barely recognised you as you looked to be gone quite thin in the face, but maybe that's just your running face!:P

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭mylifetoday

Apologies AMK... That post was meant for the JT10 RACE thread.... and Well done today... I'm watching/learning from your thread...

• Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭Bulmers74

IMO...there have been some frustrating comments in relation to the delayed start & some very inappropriate comments made in relation to the delay at the start of the race today... some (in hindsight) have acknowledged that as they now know the reason for the delay, they appreciate that we are fortunate to be able to run..... I am a west Waterford AC member.... and I am asking those who have posted negatively about the race... consider the above... There is another race for you... leave go you frustrations of the day....please acknowledge the good of the race. (From one runner to another)
    Just wondering mylife today why you've posted this here? If you read AMK's comment on the race thread he had nothing but praise for the organisers.

Edit: just seen mylifetodays clarification now - thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

belcarra wrote: »
    Yeah, I think you should have won the bleeding thing!
    Perhaps if you'd brought the dog along....!

Well done - Great time!

PS: Apologies for not being more communicative the last day in the Park, I was mulling over a few possible strategies in my head for my final 7km.
    And to be honest I barely recognised you as you looked to be gone quite thin in the face, but maybe that's just your running face!:P

Dom said the same thing to me today - and I'm not "quite thin" - I'm healthy :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

Quite thin = PBs
    Sickly thin = big PBs
    Terminally thin = massive PBs

It's all about the Manorexia ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Have you lost much since xmas? Purposely?
    Tell me to mind my own business if you want:)

Ososlo wrote: »
    Have you lost much since xmas? Purposely?
    Tell me to mind my own business if you want:)

Nope - eating all around me - double dinners somedays.
    The extra mileage is a big factor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Nope - eating all around me - double dinners somedays.
    The extra mileage is a big factor.

Good to hear. Don't succumb to the manorexia trending around these parts ;) Would have thought you were very slim already.

ps. every time I try to type the word "manorexia" it keeps changing to the word "anorexia" automatically:confused: Sexist:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

TRR wrote: »
    Quite thin = PBs
    Sickly thin = big PBs
    Terminally thin = massive PBs

It's all about the Manorexia ;)

haha, some of the lads at the marathon yesterday were saying I looked a bit thin, so I showed them the belly ;). I think people have a tendency to say you are looking thin whether you are or not. AMK I saw you a few weeks ago and you look the same as ever :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

menoscemo wrote: »
    haha, some of the lads at the marathon yesterday were saying I looked a bit thin, so I showed them the belly ;). I think people have a tendency to say you are looking thin whether you are or not. AMK I saw you a few weeks ago and you look the same as ever :p

I saw you today Meno and you'll note I never said you looked thin!:D:P

• Advertisement

belcarra wrote: »
    I saw you today Meno and you'll note I never said you looked thin!:D:P

I am even fatter now after the goodie bag I managed to blag ;)

Sunday 26th: Dungarvan 10 mile race: 62:39

Go get a cup of tea – this could be a long one – felt v.good in this race, so just want to record it fully for my future reference.

Pre-Race: I was pretty confident heading into race week, as I didn’t want to knock any sessions, I had ran the sessions & mileage at the lower end of the scale to ensure I was fresh and not risk injury.
    A couple of easy recovery runs with strides really helped on Fri/Sat, so I felt great on Sat night.

Normally before a good run I feel Sh!te the night before, so I was a bit disconcerted as I felt great on Sat evening and night – even a disrupted sleep on Sat night didn’t phase me.
    Had a late dinner on Sat night which bothered me a little (I cooked it) – but was fine.

Got a message from Gavlor, which put racing into perspective. Defo not the ‘main thing’.

Race Morning:
    Up early on Sun morning and left at 9:40am for a 1pm race! – Breakfast was Porridge with Chia seeds and honey – also took my customary Beet It shot to supplement my daily glass.

Sipped on a Lucozade sport on the way down and took a Gel about half an hour before race start.

Made it down about 12’ish & got decent parking. Toilet break and then back to the car to get changed and done a warm up with 3-4 strides.

Race:
    There was a little delay over the start due to a funeral taking place ahead – wasn’t too bad, but when the hail started falling, there was a bit of angst amongst the crowd.

Eventually we were off and I felt really good. Legs felt fresh.

1st mile had our back to the wind, but was slightly uphill. A bit of jostling for position but not too bad.
    Mile 1 in 6:08

The hail was now coming down horizontally, as we made our way – it was really horrible conditions – nothing but keeping the head down and ploughing on. After about 1.5mile – I noticed my lace was open – Damn Brooks ST5’s – this is the 2nd/3rd time its happened to me in a race despite me double knotting them.
    Stopping to tie the laces was a chore as my hands were freezing – could hardly feel them – hated seen so many people run by my as well. My Garmin was on ‘Auto Pause’ so it may affect the times on this report.
    At this stage I tell myself that there’s only 1 loop of the PP and then it’s the final stretch.
    Mile 2 6:27(due to lace)

Mile 3 then turned onto a country road, with a bit of shelter from the hail – seen Maria McC struggle back – she looked terrible and needed to get something warm around her.
    Was with a group with a gap to the next group – was going to sit in and shelter, but decided to man up and race the damn thing. Went out on my own and was followed by a couple. Caught a group ahead.
    Didn’t take the water on offer.
    Mile 3 6:18

As we approached mile 4&5 the weather changed for the better, no more hail and I swear I seen the sun.
    It was a bit too comfortable as the crowd I was with were happy to be at that pace. Wind was still a big factor here. Not too happy at the 5 mile stage – behind where I wanted to be – but the conditions on the earlier miles were just atrocious.
    Was still in the racing frame of mind and caught the group ahead – at this stage, barring the lace issue – no one had passed me – I was continuing to chase down groups ahead.
    Mile 4&5 (6:18 / 6:20)

** Passed the 5 mile marker at 31:40 **

Just after mile 5 we turn left (out of the wind) and I see a group of 3 that I had noticed at the 1st mile – so I had caught up a bit – overtook them and caught sight of another group and decided to chase them down.
    There was a lot of what felt like running on my own in this race – but I loved the chasing down aspect.
    Mile 6: 6:11

Mile 7 is a great mile and one where they should put one of those mile markers that they have in Stook – a great downhill where I went 6:08 and overtook quite a few people – loved the downhill and even managed to recover a bit, despite the faster mile. Passed 10k in 39:03 – just 15 seconds off my 10k PB.
    Mile 7: 6:08

Mile 8 is fairly flat so was still comfortable from the faster downhill. Caught another group and was now chasing a Clonlife guy who was a couple of hundred yards in front, but had a distinctive running style that caught my eye.
    Mile 8 6:09

The start of mile 9 has a small incline, so I used that to push past another group and chase on, then turned left onto the main road and looked at my watch for the 1st time in ages – noticed I was on 6:15 average pace – and the thought crossed my mind to stick with that – got a bit comfortable behind the Clonlife guy before snapping out of it and decideing to chase him down.
    Mile 9 6:18 (disappointed with this mile as I lost focus)

As I approached the last mile I was wondering about tactics – go hard early, or save it till the last few hundred meters. I upped the pace to get near clonlife guy – at this stage 2 guys pass me – the 1st time I’m really passed in the race – I fight back and overtake them, only for one of them to push ahead.
    600m left – I’m willing the Finish line to appear.
    I’m very close to Clonlife guy, I’ve overtaken both the guys who overtook me.

400m left – getting nearer.
    200m left – into the chute – very little width to overtake, Clonlife just ahead – some guy comes through at about 100 miles an hour, obviously plenty left in the tank!
    100m left – I get on Clonlifes shoulder and it’s a neck and neck battle – I push hard and take him with about 50 to go.

Shocked, surprised & delighted to see 62:3X on the clock – I thought I had blown it on the 1st 5 miles.
    Mile 10: 6:00

2nd 5 miles in 30:47 (just 17 seconds off my 5m PB)

Came in at 62:39

Delighted with the time and also happy that my 2nd 5 miles was nearly 1 min faster than my 1st 5.

No complaints about the time, given the weather and the lace issue earlier, I was delighted with breaking 63 – my PB was 64:23 from August Frank Duffy 10 miler.

Post Race:
    Immediately after the race I met with Aero2k – walked back to the center with him and left for him to go into a van with Git101 – he offered me to go in, “but I made my excuses and left” ;)

Went into the Center and there was a fantastic spread – so helped myself to a lot and thanked the fine ladies for their support and volunteering.

Found BB & Abhainn – I had been sitting with some guys who finished in 67mins & 64 mins – so when I met with these guys and heard they done it in 59 & 57 – I was obviously delighted :rolleyes:

Left for a very pleasant 2.5 hour drive home to find my younger daughted had swept the boards at an Irish Dancing Fheis.

These Kings – just so damn talented :) .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Well done , great running especially with the hail and the shoe lace problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Cleanman

Gold medal performance - how so damn boring/sensible of you!

Great report though - the main thing looks to be in wonderful health:p

Well done AMK, I checked the results and noticed the clonliffe guy. Having ran near him in a few races I'd say he was making a fair bit of noise ;) Surprised that point didn't make your race report it made a few last year (mine in the TomB 5k and Rays in the meath HM).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭drquirky

Great, great running AMK….just keep sticking with the plan!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

Fantastic report as always. Well done again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

Fantastic stuff, well done!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭outforarun

Great run and great report. Some great racing as well.
    I know what you mean about the ST5s. I've had them open on me a few times, thankfully not in a race scenario. One runner I know simply replaced the laces on his. I've found that they stay shut if I double-knot and don't use the last two lace-holes.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Well done AMK, I checked the results and noticed the clonliffe guy. Having ran near him in a few races I'd say he was making a fair bit of noise ;) Surprised that point didn't make your race report it made a few last year (mine in the TomB 5k and Rays in the meath HM).

That guy!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭dazza21ie

Well done AMK, your well on course for the "main thing". Keep up the good work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭aero2k

Immediately after the race I met with Aero2k – walked back to the center with him and left for him to go into a van with Git101 – he offered me to go in, “but I made my excuses and left” ;)
    Given the effect the weather had on my "anatomy", you'd have been safe enough!
    Git and myself decided to get on the road quickly - sorry to miss the chat with yourself, BB and Abhainn - great times all round (except for me).
    Well done. What's up next?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Too much information...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Great run Alan, it was never in doubt. Upwards from here now.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Great result. Well done!

Ya agree...legged it after the warm down. Brutal weather. Must put a face to the name in Ballycotton and def tie on the rope next time! Any plans for a half before the marathon?

Won't be in Ballycotton, going to do Bohermeen- maybe Mount Julliet too. We'll see.

Didn't get near him til the end, so didn't hear him, but he was running weird, always going from one side of the road to the other. Maybe he was just avoiding the puddles :)
    outforarun wrote: »
    Great run and great report. Some great racing as well.
    I know what you mean about the ST5s. I've had them open on me a few times, thankfully not in a race scenario. One runner I know simply replaced the laces on his. I've found that they stay shut if I double-knot and don't use the last two lace-holes.

Must replace the laces, it's the simple ideas!
    aero2k wrote: »
    Given the effect the weather had on my "anatomy", you'd have been safe enough!
    Git and myself decided to get on the road quickly - sorry to miss the chat with yourself, BB and Abhainn - great times all round (except for me).
    Well done. What's up next?

Being a bit harsh there, about the time, not the anatomy! You're on the comeback trail.
    blockic wrote: »
    Great run Alan, it was never in doubt. Upwards from here now.

Cheers, the only time I thought about your PB was at the 5 mile stage when I thought sub 63 was gone. After a mile it was forgotten about. At least that's 1 I have on you ( for a while).

Now, let's move on!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭aero2k

Too much information...
    Wouldn't have thought that was possible with you :rolleyes:...anyway, I'm all recovered now, thanks for asking.:)
    Being a bit harsh there, about the time, not the anatomy! You're on the comeback trail.
    I hope you're right - 65 with 1 1/2 legs should translate to 49:xx with two legs, right?

You're in great form, looking forward to your (marathon) race report.

Week 7 of BAA Plan:

Although week 6 of the plan did cater for a race, it also had a tough week for this week ahead with a 7x1k @10k pace + 10-13 Steady + 21m with last 4 at MP.
    Decided to forgo the 7x1k and make sure I was recovered from the race at the weekend.

Monday 27th: Recovery run: 3:58@8:34 pace - a bit fast, but an altercation with a complete to$$er of a teenager got my adrenaline overloading after about half a mile. Plenty of stretching later.
    Legs were a bit 'meh' during the day. Hadn't done an adequate warm down on Sunday at the race and the 2.5 hours in the car didn't help.

Tuesday 28th: Substituted the 7x1k for 8m easy. Good decision in my books as DOMS still in the legs a bit. Plenty of stretching later.
    8.11m @ 7:58. Pace felt easy.

Wednesday 29th: Plan: 10-13 Steady (MP +30s)
    The last 2 times I done this run, I ran them too hard - think I paid for it a bit with increased fatigue during the following weekends 20milers.
    DOMS had gone, and found the pace ok - although had to keep checking the watch as it was creeping up faster all the time.
    Last couple of miles were a bit tiring, thought about holding it at 10 steady and 2 warm down, but thought it better to run on tired legs. It wasn't that fast, so no fear of any damage.

12.01 miles @ 7:17 pace.

Advice time??
    My plan has a 10m/HM race for Feb 8th/9th - cant find a decent one anywhere at that distance (not going to Cork :) );

Options:
    (1) Just do another long run with a bit more MP stuff.
    (2) Run Rathcoffey 10k on the Sat and 15m lsr on the Sun.
    (3) Do Mount Julliet on Feb 15th instead - my fear is that that is too close to Bohermeen so would disrupt my training too much.

Any thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭KielyUnusual

I'd go long run AMK. I think for a marathon, the most benefit comes out of getting consistent high mileage and getting a decent amount of long runs in. When you do race, really go for it like in the 10 miler last weekend and then you'll know where you stand and how you're progressing. For my 'good' marathons, I basically just ran one 5 miler, one 10 miler and a half marathon in the months leading up to the race. Bohermeen is a brilliant half so I'd just concentrate on this in the short term and give it a proper lash.

• Advertisement

What race distance did the plan say to do last weekend?
    I can't see the point of doing 3 x (10mile-HM) races in the space of little more than a month myself. I don't see the harm in doing a 10k (although it would be little mre than an ego boost) but personally I think the HM is the key race in the build up so I'd probably do a good long run. You should ask UM1 if there are any spare places in the 50k on the 15th instead ;)

Advertisement