Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The main thing is keeping the main thing, the main thing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Back in Black

Ahem...........it was 6.12

:D Would have been 6:15 if you had to do what you were told!!! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Cleanman

There is a serious amount of impressive running going on here!

I don't run much anymore and don't read the athletics forum much as a result but I do dip into this thread on the odd occasion that I log into boards - it's become required reading and not just because of the impressive running but I also admit to really enjoying your writing style ;-)

Keep up the good work A (and the enjoyable updates). By the way, you'll soon have to consider changing your name back to RunningKing again - but mainly because your now a very auld man and not just an auld man!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Cleanman wrote: »
    There is a serious amount of impressive running going on here!

I don't run much anymore and don't read the athletics forum much as a result but I do dip into this thread on the odd occasion that I log into boards - it's become required reading and not just because of the impressive running but I also admit to really enjoying your writing style ;-)

Keep up the good work A (and the enjoyable updates). By the way, you'll soon have to consider changing your name back to RunningKing again - but mainly because your now a very auld man and not just an auld man!

Delighted to see this post T.
    Hope alls well in your world.

Monday: Nice few miles to begin my 'Down' week. Great interview with David O'Doherty and Paul Kimmage on 2nd Captains.
    Legs felt fantastic today!

7.9 at 8.05

Tuesday: Pilates at lunch time / 12x12s Hill Sprints after work.

Parked at Whites Gate and was heading to the Khyber via the Trails on the North Road when I bumped into TRR - had a good catch up for a few miles.
    Its amazing how the pace can creep up when you are running with someone.

12x12 hills with not much fuss - arm swing, posture , Stones - all the neccessary elements for a good hill session.

7.8m total

Wednesday: 8 miles down to the PP and back - listening to Joe Molloy on Irishman abroad - a great interview - I'm a big Joe fan and this done nothing to change that.

8.1 miles at 8.12 pace.

Thursday: A rest day on my down week - how good is that!

Read back on my log since Christmas - I'd recommend everyone should do that from time to time to get a reference as to where you are right now.
    I'm in a good place!

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭TRR_the_turd

Tuesday: Pilates at lunch time / 12x12s Hill Sprints after work.

Parked at Whites Gate and was heading to the Khyber via the Trails on the North Road when I bumped into TRR - had a good catch up for a few miles.
    Its amazing how the pace can creep up when you are running with someone.

I was left thinking how much my pace slowed down when I was running with someone! ;)

• Advertisement

Friday: 7.5miles on the PP trails - my legs felt like someone elses for a couple of miles - heavy and hard to get going. Finally found a rhythm,.

7.5m at 8.15/mile

Saturday: 12@6.40 pace

Down week this week coming with no midweek session and a light'ish weekend session.

Amazing how after doing 10miles at 6.12 pace - an upcoming session of 12 at 6.40 pace seems like a light session.
    Well it was anything but.

I had hydrated and ate well on Friday - I did do a small workout, but it was 'core' focused and not legs plus some stretching.

Up early enough - 1 coffee and Toast, done my activations & stretches and was out the door for a 2mile warm up - legs felt fine on the warm up.

On my 4 strides, I couldn't get above 6 min miles - so I was a bit 'meh' at that stage.
    Unlike last weeks 1st mile (which felt like cruising at 6.10) - todays 1st mile felt clunky and anything but smooth - it did take me a few miles to find the pace as I was slowing and quickening.
    After 3-4 miles I was thinking back to this very session some weeksago that I gave up on after 7 miles - this had a similar feel to it - the effort level was higher than the pace.

Strangely - coming back up Chesterfield, it felt much better - I was settling down a bit, but certainly working harder than I should of been at 6.40 pace.

Back to CK gate and then down the OS road - onto the Furze and back up Chesterfield, finishing back on the OS road.
    The last 3-4 mins was on fumes.

I sat down afterwards, a bit disappointed about how I felt - but you cant knock every session out of the park.
    When I went home, I discovered that I lost 6lbs on the run and there were white streaks on my face (.......easy there Barry....) from my sweat - so I was possibly dehydrated on the run or needed electrolytes - my calf then cramped at home for the first time in a long time, probably confirming this.

So a tough run - but only 1 of the 12 miles were above the target (a 6.42 mile 11) and the average was 6.36 for 12 miles.

After a big feed and plenty of Zero tabs, plus a bit of stretching - I felt like a new man.
    I was also thinking that right now - I'm not in Marathon Training - I'm still in base training - so this is ok to feel now.

When I was training for Rotterdam, I don't think I could run a straight 12m at 6.36, outside of race conditions - all my training was broken tempos - so this training will grow over time - it will get faster, I'll struggle for some of them and find others easier.

Roll on next week!

16miles with WU & CD.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭healy1835

In great nick Alan. You'll nail an Autumn marathon.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,625 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Sometimes I find it hard to get “psychologically” invested in a session especially if I’ve nailed a harder session previously.

It’s just your mind playing tricks with your body, that or your just old and fcuked :)

You’re going really well

TbL

Monday: Parked at Whites Gate and ran down to the Khyber - running on grass for the majority.

12x12sec hill sprints on a trail surface with a slow walk back recovery - and a run back to the car - again on grass.

In other news.........I'm going through a 'crisis' right now.

I've fallen out of love with those who have served me well in recent times - its not them, its me.
    Maybe its an age thing, maybe its a mid life crisis.
    I now like the sleeker models - not the "chunky but firm" type that you see nowadays.
    'Light & bouncy' is the new 'Chunky but firm'.

Yes - its a 'shoe crisis' - I've retired the pegs 37 and find myself not choosing the Novablasts from my collection for easy days.
    I'm wearing the Reebok Floatrides more and more - but am going to pull the trigger on the Invincibles pretty soon.
    I'd nearly wear the Fuel Cell's for an easy day!!

In other 'other' news - Jose / Super League etc etc - hows a man meant to get any work done!!!!!

8miles total. (in the Endorphin Speeds)

Tuesday: In keeping with my Shoe Crisis - I went to my 'retired collection' of shoes and pulled out the 'Epic React Miler' - This is a defo Chunky shoe and is not light - but I felt it deserved another chance - that React Foam is worth a 2nd chance.

Ran down by the canal and back home via the PP - my legs not feeling too bad, but certainly not as nice as the React 2's.
    Back to retirement with them - they are in good company with the Hoka Rincons.

7.5m / 8.15 pace

Wednesday: Session Day. 20min T (6'ish) + 4x5 mins (5.50)

I went out at lunch time for this as I knew getting out later would be difficult - I wanted to watch Ryan Masons 1st game as THFC manager - KO at 6pm - and a dinner to be made.
    Decided upon the Saucony Speeds - I actually dont class this as a 'super shoe' - I dont get that 'cheating feel' from it that I get from the Nike Vapourflys / Next% or even the Fuel Cells.

Point being I wanted to run this in NOT the Nikes :)

I done the 20 mins with some strides (activiations etc prior to leaving the house)and began from CK Gate.

Right away the breeze was a pain in the h0l€ as I turned down the North Road - the slightly downhill nature was negated by the breeze. Rather than turn back on my normal loop to finish near the start (CK Gate) - I kept going towards the Wellington Monument so the 4x5mins would be uphill but with the breeze.
    I had the workout programmed into the watch - the last mile, I thought was a 5.56, turned out to be a 5.51 - I was looking at Ave pace for the full 20 mins rather than lap pace.
    The 20 mins were: 6.00 / 5.57 / 5.51 / 5.57 (last 2+ mins)

5mins recovery brought me to The Acres and I done the 1st 5min rep - turning at the top into the wind again.
    Next 2 were up Chesterfield and the last one being down the OS road finishing by Mount Sackville school.

4x5 mins (5.49 / 5.48 / 5.48 / 5.45) - all with 3 min recovery

2 miles back home.

12.7m total - 40 mins of work at sub 6 pace

• Registered Users Posts: 10,455 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

At the risk of being called a hypocrite for talking about shoes having complained elsewhere, I agree with your description of Speed vs VF and the lack of the 'cheating feel'. I'd class the Speeds with the Zoom Fly rather than the VF etc. I find it much firmer than the ZF all the same. But a great 'tempo' shoe. I'd rarely waste the VF on a tempo and like to save the benefit for TT / race day. When there is a race day.

Great work going on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

I'm a size 44 if you're getting rid ;)

Lads I’ve one pair of shoes that I use for all my runs (apart from VF’s that I’ve just bought to race in)

How can you switch between different types of shoes never mind different brands!

I’d be crippled

TbL

It's the opposite for me TbL. I'd be crippled if I only had one. I rotate constantly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

I'm a size 34 if you're getting rid ;)

Fixed that for you, I seen you in tights remember!!

It's the opposite for me TbL. I'd be crippled if I only had one. I rotate constantly.

Interesting

And you don’t find the different brands affect your gait?

TbL

OOnegative wrote: »
    Fixed that for you, I seen you in tights remember!!

34 inches? Sounds about right.

Interesting

TbL

I'd like to say it doesn't but if I'm honest I don't really think about that stuff. Unless something feels wonky on my feet I just go with it. That being said I like Nike so it dominates my collection. It's rare I put on a pair of runners that makes me feel like I'm running different.

34 inches? Sounds about right.

I know you Limerick lads like bragging about your knifes and machetes, but you’re dreaming.......

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

I'd like to say it doesn't but if I'm honest I don't really think about that stuff. Unless something feels wonky on my feet I just go with it. That being said I like Nike so it dominates my collection. It's rare I put on a pair of runners that makes me feel like I'm running different.

Do most of your shoes have a similar drop?

Sorry for the hijack A. :o

skyblue46 wrote: »

Hijack is good.

The only shoe that I noticed the difference in drop were the Hoka Rincons - I think these are a 5mm and I noticed it pretty early on.

The NB Fuel Cells are 8mm but feel fine for me. (The ZF3 are also 8mm)

• Advertisement

Hijack is good.

The only shoe that I noticed the difference in drop were the Hoka Rincons - I think these are a 5mm and I noticed it pretty early on.

The NB Fuel Cells are 8mm but feel fine for me. (The ZF3 are also 8mm)

I'm running in 5/6mm drop at the moment. The reason I was asking P was because of his hip glute issues of the past. Just as zero drop can add strain to the foot the higher drops add strain further up the chain so a high drop wouldn't be great for people with problems higher up the chain. Mid drop shoes reduce strain on the extremities but wouldn't be great for people with knee troubles.

I'm running in 5/6mm drop at the moment. The reason I was asking P was because of his hip glute issues of the past. Just as zero drop can add strain to the foot the higher drops add strain further up the chain so a high drop wouldn't be great for people with problems higher up the chain. Mid drop shoes reduce strain on the extremities but wouldn't be great for people with knee troubles.

Does an orthotic take the drop out of the equation?

TbL

Does an orthotic take the drop out of the equation?

TbL

I don’t have any knowledge of orthotics but I would guess not. If one shoe has a drop of 12mm from heel to midfoot and another has no drop i don't see how inserting an orthotic would change that...

Yep 100%. I rotate but all of the different brands I wear are generally 8 to 10mm.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,455 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Interesting

TbL

If a shoe feels comfortable to you, the evidence suggests it is unlikely to cause problems. ‘Normal’ covers a lot of types (including over/underpronation, heel strike etc.) and is not linked to injury risk or performance. Not sure about duck waddle though. That could be off all the charts. ;)

Thursday: Rest day - done 2 S&C workouts in place of pilates.

Friday:
    Down the canal, out through the PP and home -

Only for Strava - I've little memory of it!

7.2m / 8.13 pace.

Saturday: Session: 4mE / 6m@6.15 / 4mE

2 weeks ago I had done 10 at 6.12 pace - and last week done 12 at 6.40: So 6 at 6.15 pace should be a doddle, right! Wrong - not a doddle but another tough workout.

I fueled & hydrated very well on Friday and done my usual activations prior to the run.

4m with some strides brought me to the Aras and I started off, up towards CK Gate, turning at the North Road, back down to Chesterfield, back up Chesterfield then Down the OS Road and finishing by St Marys Hospital.

Going uphill on this run was so much easier as the breeze was a direct headwind going down the North Road & Chesterfield. Which is strange for the PP.
    The finish by St Marys wasn't planned - I was just running out of places to run and really didn't fancy going back around the North Road Loop - I also really welcomed the downhill nature of the last mile.
    If its possible to be getting a bit browned off with the PP for these runs - then I'm really close to it!
    A change of scenery is required for a few runs I think.

Happy enough with how the training is going - loving the sessions - yes - they are all difficult - but I'm managing to execute them - so that counts for something!!

14m total

Sunday:

Heres my Sunday;

Up early. Legs in a very good place.
    7.5m run (wore the ZF3's - my new best recovery shoe :) )
    Changed the tyre on a car of a damsel in distress.
    2 hour cliff walk in Howth with Mrs AMK & the Madra.
    Helped save a lady who was suffering a heart attack on Howth cliff walk.

Wasn't even 3pm yet.

7.55m / 8.12 pace

57 miles for the week
    3 S&C type sessions complete.

Thought you were Mr AMK?? If you’re not who took the madra walking!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

Fair play, that's quiet a Sunday.

I think it should be exhibit 1 for there is no such thing as karma though with your reward in League Cup Final!

OOnegative wrote: »
    Thought you were Mr AMK?? If you’re not who took the madra walking!!!!

I walked with myself.
    Fair play, that's quiet a Sunday.

I think it should be exhibit 1 for there is no such thing as karma though with your reward in League Cup Final!

And I was in such a good mood this afternoon............

• Advertisement

I took delivery this week of a new pair of Fuel Cell TC's - courtesy of TRR - what a nice bloke he is :)

We were speaking about running shoes etc - I was interested to note the shoes he wore for his training (Kenayos) and also his Marathons (DS Trainers) - it got me thinking about the shoes I wore before we had super shoes.

I went back to 2017 in my log/Strava - I had a period of 6 months or so when I was running very well and took some PB's in the early summer months.
    Most, if not all of my tempos & sessions would have been completed in Nike Zoom Structure, which is a mileage shoe (I dont overpronate now incidentally !!)

My 10k PB - which still stands 4 yrs later :( - was in 'adidas adizero adios'

There was a Rocky 4 vibe to the whole thing :)

Do we get too hung up in our training shoes?
    Will I still wear my Saucony Speeds later for a session and possibly my 4% on Sat - probably!!

Advertisement