Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The main thing is keeping the main thing, the main thing

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

I agree 100% with KU. Also fair play on ditching the k reps, smart things like that get you to the start line fit instead of injured.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Yeah, matches my own thoughts lads. (Apart from the 50k :) )

Thanks!

TRR wrote: »
    I agree 100% with KU. Also fair play on ditching the k reps, smart things like that get you to the start line fit instead of injured.

Cheers, learned my lesson!

Finished off Jan with 2 easy runs:

Thurs 30th: 6.35 @ 8:07 pace
    Friday 31st: 5.77 @ 8.43 pace - really enjoyed this one - ran with the dog after 5pm in daylight and no rain around a loop I hadn't done since the summer (remember that) - seemed longer and faster :) - but had to stop a bit to wait for her to catch up with me.

Jan '14 Review:

* Been my best months running by far.
    * 256 miles - my highest ever - beating the 227 I logged in Aug 13.
    * Good faster sessions, MP runs and good steady MLR's
    * Injury free and have managed to keep the fatigue at bay.
    * 2x 20 milers both with good company.
    * 10 miler in Dungarvan was the highlight - and is possibly my running 'career' highlight to-date.

Feb '14 focus:

* ~250 miles (peak weekly mileage is 70)
    * Stick to the plan!
    * no races planned - was going to do a 10k or HM in KK but will stick to the long runs.
    * Keep injury free.
    * Will reduce alcohol intake - I don't drink much, but will drink less!
    * 3 x 20+ milers (21/22/23)
    * Get myself ready for Bohermeen (123:xx)
    * Going to monitor diet and sleep for the month - may make small tweaks to both.

• Advertisement

Saturday 1st Feb.

Plan: 18-21 with last 4 @MP

Woke up and knew that I didn't want to do this, so not a good start. Wind & rain didn't help.
    Quick bowl of porridge and was off.

Weather was atrocious, so didn't fancy a plod around the PP on its own, so took myself outside and explored the War Memorial Gardens (my 1st time there) and other parts of Chapelizod.
    Ran on the opposite side too - outside of the park - parts of cabra and Manor street.

Had 7 miles done and thought in my head it was 14 - so was in a state of shock looking at my watch.
    Didn't venture into the MP section - the last 4m were uphill and into a wind and I was cold and a bit weak - nothing to be gained.
    I did do a fair few of the hills though - very tough.

Mind games kept me going along with a few podcasts (MT & 2nd Captains) - but still didn't find the love on the run (even down the furry glen :) )

20.25 miles @ 8:07.

That's 56 miles for the week - not too shabby. I'll put todays run into the memory bank for when things are getting tough again - perseverance paid off and I got through it intact and visited some new places.

Came home to a wonderful lunch from my oldest girl - love when she does that - French toast, bread roll with sausage and steaming coffee - all ready for me.

On another note -

I had some chaffing recently in my, ahem, nether regions, cough...ahem.
    I had always used Vaseline, but it disappeared about 6 weeks ago.

So I bought a tub yesterday and explained to the family what it was for and under NO circumstances where they to use it.
    I mentioned my last tub went missing and my daughter with a look of shock on her face told me that she had given it to her Granny (my MIL) as she had chapped lips about 6 weeks ago.

Score 1 for all the Son in Laws out there............

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭theboyblunder

Hahahahaha excellent

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭cianc

Comedy gold. Make sure to tell her at exactly the right moment. Like when she has a mouth full of tea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

That's one for the rave thread for sure AMK!
    And the run was not bad either.

I did my version of this with memo, the Stews and PaulieC this afternoon. Mr. Stew had the bright idea of bringing us up into the Dublin mountains!! I reckon you got away lightly with the PP hills!

PS: can I join you next time Mr. Stew organises an lsr?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭statss

sticking it to the MIL, love it.

• Advertisement

Jeez - take 1 rest day and your confined to the bottom of page 3 :)

Sunday 2nd Feb: Rest day - into town with Mrs AMK - I watched the rubgy and she broke the bank shopped to her hearts content.
    Good food (& more drink) later and all is good in the world.

Mon 3rd Feb: Legs felt fantastic today. I think I must have had fatigue in the legs from Dungarvan most of last week and not realised it.
    Definitely gone today - a noticeable difference.

Plan: 3x(800/600/400/200) @ 5k-10k pace (5:50-6:00) 1m R / 3min b/w sets

2.46 miles warm up @ 7:43 (.......I know) down to O.Survey road in the PP and we were off.

I was thinking of RayCuns post from the weekend during this as I set off too fast on the 1st rep, so tried to not lean forward and focused on forefoot landing. Seemed to work - thanks Ray!

I was thinking of the workout on my warmup, specifically the benefit of running the last 200m split at 10k pace??
    Not sure - so decided to run each 200 a little faster - certainly not all out, but just let form take over and treat it like a 'controlled stride'.

Cant be bothered to do a table.........

Split Rep 1 Rep 2 Rep 3
    800 2:58 2:57 2:57
    600 2:11 2:08 2:12
    400 1:27 1:28 1:28
    200 41 42 41

Ave pace was controlled for the 800/600/400 @ ~5:53
    The 200's were slightly faster, but very controlled @ 5:20's

3.58 cool down home @ 8:06 pace.

Delighted with the session - probably could have done 1 more set.
    Happy that the splits were consistent and within the pace guideline - in the past I'd have went off thinking 'faster is better'.

Small niggle over the left knee tonight - so icing it presently.
    Not a pain, just a niggle - noticed it on Sat after the LSR, iced it then as well.

Wore the Skechers 'go run' today and think they are a great light shoe so far.
    I'll be interested when the have 150 miles in them what way they feel.
    Feel like racers at 198 grams.

Total: 11:73 @ 7:29 pace

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Great session and great consistence you are definitely well and truly reborn as a sensible runner compared to RK :D

Stay on top of that niggle, training has been going great so don't be afraid to pull back if needed for the sake of the long term consistency

Tuesday 4th Feb: Plan: 5-8m Easy.

8.17 miles @ 8.17 pace (uncanny)

1st 4 down to the Zoo into the wind & rain, so the return leg was handy enough. Kept the pace just nice and easy.

Keep saying I must invest in a proper running jacket for weather like this - any recommendations (or do they all soak through)??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭PaulieC

They all soak through. Either from external rain or an internal sweat.

Wed 5th Feb: Plan: 8-10 miles with 2x20 mins at MP Tempo (6:50 +/- 10 secs)

Waited till 7ish to set out on this as the wind & rain were due to die down then.

Warm Up 1.6m: 8:23 pace

Rep 1: 20 mins - 3:00 miles - 6:40 pace
    This was down hill, the majority of it ran beside the wall on the outside of the PP (racecourse side) so plenty of shelter.

Recovery: 1 mile - 8:29 pace

Rep 2: 20 mins - 2.98 miles - 6:43 pace
    Up Chesterfield - the wind was tougher than I expected- held the pace well - was tough going up Whites Road.

Cool Down: 1:35 @ 8.28

Nice workout.

Total: 9.92 miles @ 7:32

My double breakfasts and double dinner nutrition plan is working a treat.......

Had a good read of Larry Brents post on Ecolis page. Plenty of food for thought there. (pun intended)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

Wed 5th Feb: Plan: 8-10 miles with 2x20 mins at MP Tempo (6:50 +/- 10 secs)

Waited till 7ish to set out on this as the wind & rain were due to die down then.

Warm Up 1.6m: 8:23 pace

Rep 1: 20 mins - 3:00 miles - 6:40 pace
    This was down hill, the majority of it ran beside the wall on the outside of the PP (racecourse side) so plenty of shelter.

Recovery: 1 mile - 8:29 pace

Rep 2: 20 mins - 2.98 miles - 6:43 pace
    Up Chesterfield - the wind was tougher than I expected- held the pace well - was tough going up Whites Road.

Cool Down: 1:35 @ 8.28

Nice workout.

Total: 9.92 miles @ 7:32

My double breakfasts and double dinner nutrition plan is working a treat.......

Had a good read of Larry Brents post on Ecolis page. Plenty of food for thought there. (pun intended)

What's the deal with the doubles? Sounds like an aspect of your training that I can relate to:)

Super stuff. How is the body? Any issues with the calf? Have you been getting much massage? When's the next race?

Marthastew wrote: »
    What's the deal with the doubles? Sounds like an aspect of your training that I can relate to:)

Always had a double breakfast - having normal dinner, but throwing in a bigger Salad each day as well in order to get greens and all the other goodness that comes with mixed salads.
    Really just increasing on other stuff except Carbs - which I get plenty off!

Maybe its just a bigger lunch!
    Super stuff. How is the body? Any issues with the calf? Have you been getting much massage? When's the next race?

Calf is perfect - no issues at all with it.
    Getting massage about once per month - had one booked tomorrow, but I had to cancel til next week. I'll tell KO'N you said hello!

Only real niggle is at the top of my knee - present since last weekend - but its nothing more than a niggle. Icing each day and nurofen.
    2 easy days planned so, should get near sorted!

Next race is going to be Bohermeen - I'm taking a 'race lite' approach this time - was thinking of doing Rathcoffey this weekend, but probably going to do a longish run instead (plan calls for a 10m race).

Next race is going to be Bohermeen - I'm taking a 'race lite' approach this time - was thinking of doing Rathcoffey this weekend, but probably going to do a longish run instead (plan calls for a 10m race).

Just asked a question regards build up races in the main forum. Personally I think your course of action this is a good idea for you. Last year I thought your basic aerobic base was lacking relative to your natural leg speed/pace. The extra long run will build on the big gains you've made recently and also reduce the risk of injury. Just my opinion mind you

Life is busy right now - updates & commentary on other logs are lower than normal. Training still going well though.

Made the decision to take a low intensity end to the week from Thur-Sun - kinda like a partial recovery week.

Thurs 6th Feb: 6.53 miles @ 8:15 pace - nice few miles in the PP.

Fri 7th: 5.57m @ 9:20 (a real recovery run) - Busy day in work didn't get out til 4 :) - Brought the dog squirrel chasing in the PP (didn't catch any).

Sat 8th: Plan was for a 10-13m race. Actual: 15.96m @ 8:04

Bit of a 'meh' run this - didn't commit fully to doing a 20 miler or any kind of run on Sat. So set off from the PP not knowing how long I'd run for.
    Ran from the papal cross into town and out past the 02 into Sandymount and down the strand a bit, before turning and heading back.
    Wind was all over the place and knocked the stuffing out of me a bit.

Decided to call it a day after 16 and head home. A good 2 hours running would benefit me anyway.

Amazing though, all day Saturday I was thinking of it being a 'bad run' 'cos I didn't do 20 miles.
    In hindsight, I'm glad I didn't do 20 miles as I've done a great weeks volume, low intensity since Wednesday and feel really good right now.

Sunday 9th: 4:14 easy ru with the dog @ 8:31 pace.

WTD: 62:01 miles.

A good volume week - I 'feel' that I need to increase the pace on the long runs going fwd.
    I need to place a strong priority on the next few Long Runs and make sure I'm set up to do them at the required pace.

I'm 8 weeks into a 16 week plan, so want to reflect a bit on where I am - taking a leaf from Stazza, heres my SWOT.

Strength:

* Much more positive mental state than DCM.
    * Injury free so far
    * Very confidence of hitting my target.
    * Have 3x20m in the bank plus 1x18 & 2x16
    * V.Happy with my Monday sessions & Wednesday tempos/MLRs = 2 days midweek running 10m+

Weakness:
    * Lack of stretching recently
    * Pace on my long runs need to be quicker going fwd

Opportunity:

* Nutrition: Started to increase my intake - focusing on Greens/ seeds/ nuts/ fruit / cheese etc
    * 8 weeks left to correct any imbalances in my training e.g. Long run pace.
    * Need to increase hydration.

Threat:

* Overconfidence of target: Taking my eye off the ball. (far too sensible to let that happen :) )
    * Over training: Pushing too hard. (Follow the plan. Follow the plan. Follow the plan. Follow the plan )
    * Making Bohermeen 'the main thing' in a few weeks time. (Will stay with the plan as pr the 10 miler recently)
    * Injury: Will get regular massages going fwd - one booked for Fri, stretch more and have started taking glucosimine/chondrition (sp?)

So - 8 weeks in and feel in good shape. I know where I need to focus on, namely:

(1) Stretching
    (2) Nutrition/Hydration
    (3) Planning my next 3x20/22 mile runs to ensure I get the right result from them pace wise (MP miles / some steady miles in there)
    (4) Making sure the main thing is the main thing.

• Advertisement

Just asked a question regards build up races in the main forum. Personally I think your course of action this is a good idea for you. Last year I thought your basic aerobic base was lacking relative to your natural leg speed/pace. The extra long run will build on the big gains you've made recently and also reduce the risk of injury. Just my opinion mind you

thanks TRR - just seen this now though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Why do you think the pace of your long runs needs to be quicker?
    Long easy runs are long easy runs
    Long runs with MP are long runs with MP

8 min/mile sounds to me like a perfect 'easy pace' for a potential sub 3 marathon...what benefit would you get from running them 20 seconds/mile quicker? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Weakness:
    * Pace on my long runs need to be quicker going fwd

Threat:
    * Over training: Pushing too hard. (Follow the plan. Follow the plan. Follow the plan. Follow the plan )

but maybe I'm just lazy :)

menoscemo wrote: »
    Why do you think the pace of your long runs needs to be quicker?
    Long easy runs are long easy runs
    Long runs with MP are long runs with MP

8 min/mile sounds to me like a perfect 'easy pace' for a potential sub 3 marathon...what benefit would you get from running them 20 seconds/mile quicker? :confused:
    RayCun wrote: »
    but maybe I'm just lazy :)

Points well made gentlemen!

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Larry Brent

A good volume week - I 'feel' that I need to increase the pace on the long runs going fwd.
    I need to place a strong priority on the next few Long Runs and make sure I'm set up to do them at the required pace.

If someone is improving, you might argue there’s no need to change anything, so this is just my thoughts on when 8:00 might be better than 7:40 or when 7:40 might be better than 8:00, not advice for you to change anything!

When might 8:00 better than 7:40?
    1) 1st marathon
    2) Not done long runs in a long time
    3) Base training
    4) When not training for a marathon
    5) If you’re tired
    6) Big session or race close to the long run

i.e. in all these cases the emphasis may be simply time on feet rather than a stronger training stimulus.

When might 7:40 be better than 8:00?
    1) Experienced runner, used to long runs
    2) Specific phase of marathon training
    3) If 8:00 isn’t providing sufficient training stimulus. This is the crux of it. In marathon training, the long run is generally seen as the key run of the week, so you want to get bang for your buck with it, rather than just do an easy plod that doesn’t take much out of you. 20m at 8:00 pace is 2:40. Compare how you feel during the last 40mins to the preceding hour. If it feels much the same, just a gradual increasing of mild fatigue as the run goes on and your only concerns are that you are getting a bit fed up having been out so long, or you’re getting hungry, then it’s probably not taking too much out of you. Then after the run if you don’t feel much different to how you feel after an easy hour, that confirms it didn’t take much out of you. However, if you are markedly more fatigued during the last 40mins feels compared to the preceding hour and your legs feel heavy, tired, sore, crampy and your looking forward to the run ending because you are tired rather than just bored, then this is a sufficient training stimulus. Afterwards you will be more tired than after an easy hour and probably much stiffer in the legs for a few hours. In marathon training, if you don’t get this feeling with an 8:00 pace run, then it may be time to mix things up a bit to get this feeling. Some options:
    a) Go longer at 8:00 pace (? up to 24 miles), so that you get this fatigued feeling in the last 30-40mins
    b) Go faster - 7:40 pace? OR simply the faster end of the easy range.
    c) Introduce some work, perhaps MP work.

If you are working off effort rather than pace, this will probably happen naturally anyhow - first long run is 8:00, next os 7:50, next is 7:40 and so on. If someone is sticking to the same pace for long run after long run, training block after training block so that it takes nothing out of them, isn’t providing a sufficient training stimulus and they might develop into the type of runner who can run for 5 hours at 8:00 pace and 2 hours at 6:50 pace (from their MP work), but 3 hours at 7:00-7:30 pace might be very difficult for them, if you get me. There is a large gap between 8:00 and 6:50, important to touch on the paces in between also. As Hadd would say, M+20s and M+40s are gold (perhaps even more beneficial than MP).

Just my thoughts, nothing to back any of this rubbish up!

Keep up the good work.

Thanks Larry - appreciate you taking the time on that.
    I think it hits the nail on the head regarding where I am but articulates it better than I ever could.

Monday 10th Feb: Plan 8-11m inc 3-4x1600 @ 10k pace (6:00-6:05) 3min Rec

Lunchtime run again today.
    Warm up - 2.35m down to OS/Furze Road - threw in some strides and also some stretches.

Rep1: 5:59
    Rep2: 6:00
    Rep3: 6:01
    Rep4: 5:59

Walked for 1 min in all the recoveries.

Cool down: 2.1m Home

I hate mile repeats, so thank God I was only doing 1600's :)

Good consistency in the splits, but the effort level was different in them all due to head winds on certain parts.

Total: 9.3 miles

Tuesday 11th: Plan 7-10m easy.

9.9 miles @ 8:14 pace.
    Finally wore the Saucony Guide 7's without any pain due to a different lacing technique.

The final 3 miles of this run was a bit of an annoyance as the sleet was bucketing down sideways straight into my face. Made me wish I had clear glasses with me.

Main goal during this run was to run it easy and leave something in the tank for a steady run on Wednesday.

Wednesday 12th: Plan 10-13 Steady (MP+30 secs)

Only had a narrow window this morning for this one, with the weather how it was I though about shifting it to Thursday - but it would leave me with a small recovery window for a proper long run on Sat - so decided to head out anyway.

1st 5 miles were downhill and had the wind at my back a bit, so pace was fairly sharpish.
    Done the 2nd half of the run outside the park on the Cabra side to get some shelter along the wall there. 2nd half was 10sec per mile slower.

As I approached the last mile the rain stopped and the clouds disappeared :eek: wtf...........
    Happy to get it done - legs nicely fatigued at the end, mainly as a result of the last 3 runs.

Wore the Skechers again today......really like these.

Planned rest day on Thursday, Massage on Friday followed by a recovery run.

11.4 miles @ 7:10

Thursday 13th: Rest Day - about 45 mins of core work and stretching (AIS stuff)

Friday 14th:
    AM: Nice rub down - legs felt great. No issues on the calf, tendon on the toe is tender, Hammys are tight.

PM: 6.17 miles @ 8:32 pace around a park facing my house - 0.5m lap - so 12 laps with the dog. Think the dog stayed in the middle and just sniffed around.

Saturday 15th: Plan 20-23 miles.

22.01 miles @7:42 per mile.

Was conscious of the lack of quality in my long runs, reinforced by Larry Brents post earlier in the week.
    Decided to run a decent but steady 1st 11 and then pick it up for the next 11.

Ran the 1st 11 miles on a route that brought me back to the car in the PP - pace: 1st 11 @7:52 per mile.

Took a gel& water, ditched the jacket and the hat and had to change the shoes (from the Sauconys to the Skechers).

Felt like a new man starting out on the 2nd 11m. Stayed mostly in the PP, but did take a loop over to the War Memorial Gardens and then back to the park.
    Fatigue started to set in on the last mile and a half - but for the most part, felt good throughout.

2nd 11 miles were at 7:31 pace

No rain today, but the wind was gusty throughout. Made sure I took in some hills.

Happy with this run. Made sure to stretch afterwards.

22.01 miles (yes I did run around the carpark to make it to the 22m :) ) @ 7:42 pace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Good stuff

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Great going in this wind. It's also great that you felt shagged for the last bit, that's what will stand to you in manchester.

You must be growing in confidence every week?

Advertisement