Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The main thing is keeping the main thing, the main thing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Gavlor wrote: »
    Great going in this wind. It's also great that you felt shagged for the last bit, that's what will stand to you in manchester.

You must be growing in confidence every week?

+1 to that. On fire at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,625 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Excellent run AMK, are you still wearing hats, gloves, scarves and petticoats, it's positively tropical today in the PRC :)

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Gavlor wrote: »
    Great going in this wind. It's also great that you felt shagged for the last bit, that's what will stand to you in manchester.

You must be growing in confidence every week?

Yep, needed that run and a couple more like it. Next time I'll include some MP.
    Excellent run AMK, are you still wearing hats, gloves, scarves and petticoats, it's positively tropical today in the PRC :)

TbL

Yep, I even wore the lingerie that you sent me. ;)

Pigged out big time on Sat night .

5m recovery today. Watch was dead, so ran a 5m route in the PP.
    Brought the running buddy so it Was a real recovery run, pace about 9/9:30 ish.

64m for the week.

Out with the family on Sunday, more pigging out (or is it 'living'?).
    Nearly bought a new pair of runners :) - might do it during the week as the toe is sore again from the Sauconys at the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Ferris B

Pigged out big time on Sat night .

Out with the family on Sunday, more pigging out (or is it 'living'?).

I reckon this activity should be a compulsory part of all marathon programmes to be carried out at least three times.;)

You've one session left.:D

• Advertisement

Monday 17th: Plan 2x(4x800) 10k pace / 90s Recovery / 5min Set

Thanks to our US brethern being on a holiday today, I finished early & got this done.

2m warm up to the PP.

Rep / Time / Pace
    1 / 3:01 / 6:02
    2 / 3:00 / 6:00
    3 / 2:58 / 5:56
    4 / 2:57 / 5:55

5 min jog

5 / 2:59 / 5:59
    6 / 2:58 / 5:56
    7 / 2:58 / 5:56
    8 / 2:37 / 5:14 (Alpha Male Rep)

Jogged all the recoveries.
    Finding these much more comfortable, so might reduce the recoveries or the set recovery next time.

Legs felt fantastic after the last rep :)

Cool Down: 2.4m home

Overall: 10.06 miles.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Monday 17th: Plan 2x(4x800) 10k pace / 90s Recovery / 5min Set

Thanks to our US brethern being on a holiday today, I finished early & got this done.

2m warm up to the PP.

Rep / Time / Pace
    1 / 3:01 / 6:02
    2 / 3:00 / 6:00
    3 / 2:58 / 5:56
    4 / 2:57 / 5:55

5 min jog

5 / 2:59 / 5:59
    6 / 2:58 / 5:56
    7 / 2:58 / 5:56
    8 / 2:37 / 5:14 (Alpha Male Rep)

Finding these much more comfortable, so might reduce the recoveries or the set recovery next time.

Now you are just showin off! :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

You are flying!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Gavlor

I think wolf might benefit from some of your sessions. Might be an idea to hook up for it one of the days as your pace is fairly similar.

Nice last rep btw :)

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭thewolf_ie

Always welcome down to the town! Good session lad! Still quicker than me though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,625 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

yaboya1 wrote: »
    You are flying!

And showing off :)

TbL

I wouldn't reduce the recoveries.

You aren't training for a 10k

Good point, but I do worry that I'm not getting the same training stimulus??

Good point, but I do worry that I'm not getting the same training stimulus??

Dunno, I'd be more inclined to trust the fact that the plan has got you this far without any problems. You're 7 weeks out so it's marathon specific stuff that is most important.

*real gavlors answer is to run them all at the same pace as your last rep with no recovery in between. Why bother walking when you can run ;)

You're right Vinnie, trust the plan.
    7 weeks out with no issues, it's changing things that got me into trouble before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

7 weeks out with no issues, it's changing things that got me into trouble before.

Deffo. Don't complain that a session is too easy for you. If you are hitting the paces you are doing it right. You are not supposed to flog yourself every session.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

If you no longer keep changing stuff around and are more consistent this time then isn't that in itself a change??
    OK I'll be the one to come out and say what everyone is thinking - you are so screwed!!
    ;)

Tuesday 18th: Plan 6-9 miles easy:
    Actual: 7.96 miles @ 8:05 pace

Nice run down to the PP & back - old episode of 2nd Captains talking about the win over wales to keep me company :)

Wednesday 19th: Plan: 6-9m with 2x15min @MP (6:40-7:00 pace)

Ended up doing this in the park across the road from the house, with the dog. 0.5m laps - but its my choice.
    Done these at the lower end of the spectrum to get more of a tempo feel but not doing it too fast.

1st rep was tough, was thinking I'd need to run the next rep at the higher end (6:55), but the 2nd rep was much more comfortable.
    I guess it as just the legs walking up.
    Only had time for a 1mile warm down.

15m Warm up: 1.79 @ 8.24

15m @ MP: 2.26m @ 6:38
    5m Recovery
    15m @ MP: 2.27m @ 6:36

Cool down 0.9mile @9:00

Total: 7.68miles @ 7:35

What have you planned for Friday? "Distance - 6 to 9 miles" by any chance?
    If you are available* for the PP around 2pm I'd be on for joining you around 8m/m pace (or slower)?
    *(Not sure what your availability is but seeing as I once saw you there around that time!!)

belcarra wrote: »
    What have you planned for Friday? "Distance - 6 to 9 miles" by any chance?
    If you are available* for the PP around 2pm I'd be on for joining you around 8m/m pace (or slower)?
    *(Not sure what your availability is but seeing as I once saw you there around that time!!)

Sorry cant make 2pm - it'll be about 4ish by the time I get out.
    Some of us do work you know..... :pac:

• Advertisement

Work is biting my butt these days - very busy times - good complaint I suppose.

Thursday 20th: Only time for 30 mins - plan was for 6-9m - so wouldn't fit that in.

Done 4.24@7:31 - nice steady miles with some strides thrown in. Pace felt quick but very comfortable.

Friday 21st: Nice loop with the dog in the PP - 7.40 miles @ 8:31 pace.
    Lovely pace, dog kept up for a change - very blowy in places, going to be fun on the LSR tomorrow.

Finally got delivery of some salt tabs - not that I suffer from cramps, but just want to ensure I dont!!

Sat 22nd Feb: Plan 18-21 with mid 4 miles at MP

Drove down to the P. park and totally forgot that the Op Transformation race was on today. Missed a trick there - could have ran early and done the last piece as the race at MP. Ah well.

Had a very late dinner yesterday (10pm) and a bowl of poridge this morning just before I set out. A bit silly in hindsight.
    Wore the Brooks ST5's today to see how they'd do for the best part of a 3 hr run - these will be my marathon shoe all going well.

Run itself was uneventful - plenty of people coming into the park getting ready for the race, so plenty of people around.
    1st 11 miles were about 7:50 pace.
    Decided to do the MP miles from 12-16 - done these in the war memorial gardens - done a 7:20 mile initially then launched into the 4 x MP.
    Found the 1st 2 tough as they were into the wind - thought I'd get a bit of cover from the bushes, but no.
    As I turned around the wind was at my back, but I felt like I had a stomach full of food and the beginnings of a stitch (but not the whole stitch) - kept going & finished the 4 miles - thought the feeling would go away, but stayed with me for the rest of the run. Strange feeling. The 4 MP miles were 6.49/6.50/6.52/6.53 - and they were tough.

The remaining 6 miles were at an ave of 8:11 pace - had wanted to do it faster, but wasn't happening.

To make things worse, I miscalculated the route and ended up with the last 2 miles going up Military hill and the upper glen road. No doubt it'll benefit me!

Total: 22.3miles @ 7:47

In hindsight - delighted to get another 22 miles under the belt - no doubt the legs still had last weeks 22m in them.

That's 5 20+ miles done with 1 more to go.

The plan gets interesting for the next 3 weeks. Each week has the following:

Mon: Interval
    Wed: 13m MLR (MP+30 secs)
    Fri: 6-10 with 30-40 mins at MP

So recovery runs will be crucial here.

Next weeks long run is '13-16 easy' - so a good chance for recovery.
    Planned a nice break away for me & Mrs AMK next week.

60 miles so far this week - will decide on a recovery run tomorrow.

Edit: 3 mile walk with the dog after the Rugby disaster helped the legs no end.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭outforarun

Some serious mileage these days.
    How'd the ST5s work out?

outforarun wrote: »
    Some serious mileage these days.
    How'd the ST5s work out?

They were Grand, a bit 'fine' on the forefoot, but I reckon on race day they'll do the business.

Sunday 23rd - took a rest day.

Monday 24th: Plan 3x(800/600/600) @5k pace (5:50) off 90secs - 3 min b/w sets.

Another Monday lunchtime session.

Warm Up: 2.28m

dist: Rep 1 Rep 2 Rep 3
    800 2.54 2:54 2:55
    600 2:04 2:09 2:06
    600 2:08 2:08 1:57 :)

Cool down: 2.5m @ 8:30

All paces were in an around 5:47-5:50, bar the last 600 rep which was 5:18.
    Again - happy with the consistency.

The 800's were tough as it was into the wind on the O.Survey road, but the 600's made up for it with the wind at my back.

5k pace is definitely tougher for intervals :)
    Took the 90s recoveries very handy - walked/jogged 50%.

I was going to do the Balbriggan HM at MP on St Patricks day, but am thinking of not doing that as its not in the plan! and doing the MSB 5k instead, in place of an interval session.

total: 9.8m

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭thewolf_ie

Great session!

It's gonna be interesting to see how you handle the extra session from now on.
    My usual Distance run is 11.9km so effectively it'll mean just going about 5-6km further but all at a faster pace. Hopefully it won't be too much of a load on the system!

I have made use of my 2 week buffer now that I am heading for Dusseldorf. I am now three weeks behind your schedule so hopefully if you have any tips to pass on I will be able to take advantage!

Monday 24th: PM: 30 mins AIS - the ropey one :)

Tuesday 25th: 7.35m loop of the PP @ 8:29 with the dog - her limp is gone so she'll be expecting some more easy runs with me :)

Done about 40 mins core & AIS.

Wednesday 26th: Plan: 10-13 miles MLR

Delighted with how this went, felt strong throughout. Felt I could have done more miles at that pace.

I'm liking these faster MLR's - I find they teach me to run 'relaxed' - the 1st couple of miles aside, where the HR is increasing, but once the breathing settles and I find the pace, then its just a matter of keep going.

The PP is a good place for these as there are parts where you work harder such as uphill & into the wind, but there's also parts where you can get recovery & increase the pace at the same time. Fastest mile was the last one @ 6:50 - so there wasn't much variation in the pace through out.

Follow this up (after a shower :D )with a walk around Blanchardstown center looking for wifeys birthday present (tomorrow :o ) - I'm a last minute kinda guy.

12.76m @ 6:59 pace

belcarra wrote: »
    It's gonna be interesting to see how you handle the extra session from now on.
    My usual Distance run is 11.9km so effectively it'll mean just going about 5-6km further but all at a faster pace. Hopefully it won't be too much of a load on the system!

I have made use of my 2 week buffer now that I am heading for Dusseldorf. I am now three weeks behind your schedule so hopefully if you have any tips to pass on I will be able to take advantage!

I think the fact that there is only 1 more 20m will help (mentally at least) - I'm looking at these 3 weeks as the 'maximum training load' timeframe - so am prepared mentally for it.
    The key is keeping the other days nice and easy.

• Advertisement

Thursday 27th Feb: Plan 5-8m Easy.

Didn't get out at all on Thursday (2nd run missed this cycle, both recoveries) - work was manic all day from 7:30 til near 7 (I do be busy sometimes :) ) - then off to GAA training with my U14 girls ( I wasn't in a great mood starting off, but this lot had me in stitches by the end).

Wifey was out with her buddies for a b'day treat, so I was watching the childer - was tempted to head out and leave them - but wouldn't be worth it for a recovery run. (btw ......the boy done well on the b'day pressie stuff :) )

Friday 28th Feb: Plan 6-10 miles with 30-40 mins @ MP

Was wondering how this would go given the 13m @ MP +10secs on Wednesday.
    Done some stretching before hand - legs felt good.

I ran 2m down to the PP (@7:40 pace) and started the MP section as I entered by Farmleigh.

I translated the 30-40 mins @ MP into 6 miles - These were actually ok - ran them a tad fast - I had the downhill & the wind in the 1st 3m so I knew the return up Chesterfield into the wind would be tough - turns out all the miles were pretty stable - although I was working hard on the last 1.5 miles.

MP miles (6:38 / 6:36 / 6:36 / 6:42 / 6:40 / 6:40)

This brought me back to Farmleigh and I ran the 2m back home (@7:42 pace)

The MP miles were fast - one of the things that I'm trying to do is to teach my body to run slightly faster than MP, partly to make 6:50's seem more manageable psychologically and partly to build a slight buffer for the race line (26.5 v 26.2)

Total: 10.3m @ 7:04 pace

That's 3 quality runs this week.
    13-16 'easy' miles on Saturday morning and I'm off for a duurrty weekend with the missus (dont tell the wife.....please)

Advertisement