Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The main thing is keeping the main thing, the main thing

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭Gavlor

I won't say a word, don't rush back ;)

On the running side, I've noticed your mp pace has got a bit quicker...

Edit: just re-read your post! I'd assume that mp should be exactly that but I fully understand your approach

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭thewolf_ie

Good man, very consistent!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Feb Report :)

Feb '14 focus: :D= Hit target / :mad: = Off Target

* ~250 miles (peak weekly mileage is 70) 247 miles logged - ran 24/28 days :D / peak mileage week at 64 for Feb
    * Stick to the plan! :D
    * no races planned - was going to do a 10k or HM in KK but will stick to the long runs. :D
    * Keep injury free. :D
    * Will reduce alcohol intake - I don't drink much, but will drink less! :D Done - mainly at weekends
    * 3 x 20+ milers (21/22/23) :D 20 / 22 / 22.5
    * Get myself ready for Bohermeen (123:xx) (Not doing Bohermeen:D )
    * Going to monitor diet and sleep for the month - may make small tweaks to both. :D Major improvement in diet - more greens, eating double breakfasts and double dinners at times - seeds & dried fruit for snacks - a lot more protein (shakes & bars - Lidls finest :) )

March Focus:

* 1 more 20+m run (might do 23m) - March mileage ~245
    * Off alcohol after this weekend
    * Maintain good diet
    * Stick to the plan.
    * Stretch more (I like that AIS stuff - effective & quick)
    * Taper correctly
    * Might do MSB 5k for fun - not as a focus.
    * Get the U14's off to a good start in the league :)

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭cianc

Feb Report :)

Feb '14 focus: :D= Hit target / :mad: = Off Target

* ~250 miles (peak weekly mileage is 70) 247 miles logged - ran 24/28 days :D / peak mileage week at 64 for Feb
    * Stick to the plan! :D
    * no races planned - was going to do a 10k or HM in KK but will stick to the long runs. :D
    * Keep injury free. :D
    * Will reduce alcohol intake - I don't drink much, but will drink less! :D Done - mainly at weekends
    * 3 x 20+ milers (21/22/23) :D 20 / 22 / 22.5
    * Get myself ready for Bohermeen (123:xx) (Not doing Bohermeen:D )
    * Going to monitor diet and sleep for the month - may make small tweaks to both. :D Major improvement in diet - more greens, eating double breakfasts and double dinners at times - seeds & dried fruit for snacks - a lot more protein (shakes & bars - Lidls finest :) )

March Focus:

* 1 more 20+m run (might do 23m) - March mileage ~245
    * Off alcohol after this weekend
    * Maintain good diet
    * Stick to the plan.
    * Stretch more (I like that AIS stuff - effective & quick)
    * Taper correctly
    * Might do MSB 5k for fun - not as a focus.
    * Get the U14's off to a good start in the league :)

Jesus, leave some smilies for the rest of us.

:D

Sat March 1st (March 1st!!! :eek: )

15.16 miles @ 8:01 pace. (2 hrs) Nice amble around the PP & War Memorial Gardens, home on 11 miles & brought the dog for the final 4.

Despite my back slapping on yesterdays post about my good nutrition, I actually forgot to have dinner on Friday!! and up late'ish meant I had no time for brekkie - so running on empty it was!!
    Given the 3 quality fast runs this week - this was a bit tiring. Glad it was just 15miles.
    Plenty of good food and drink ahead this weekend to make up for it.

Weekly total: 55.4 miles

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭statss

your gonna have a smashing marathon :)

Monday March 3rd. Plan 3x2k @ 10k pace (3 min R)

Came home today from a weekend of debauchery - went all the way to Wicklow for a fine wining & dining organic (I said Organic)experience.

Body & mind were tired and I didn't know what to expect of the 3x2k session.
    On the warm up I was starting to make excuses about not doing it, or maybe do it at tempo pace - said I'd do the one rep and see how it went and decide on the others.

Warm Up: 2.5m down to the 15 Acres in PP.

Rep 1: 2k in 7min 23 - 5:58 pace - actually felt ok - I started off to fast and had to dial it in a bit - but actually felt grand finishing

Rep 2: 2k in 7:22 - 5:57 pace - this one went ok - no holding on - was feeling very thirsty by the end.

Rep 3: 2k in 7:25 - 5:59 pace - Changed direction for this one - had the wind at my back for the 1st part - head on for the finish. The last 300-400 wasn't pretty, but held on - there was no way the watch was going over 6:00 pace.
    Jogged all the recoveries. No showboating today in the last rep.

Consistent reps again - glad I didn't bail on the session. 4 more interval sessions to go before M day.

Total: 8:67 miles @ 7:26 pace

Some great performances over the weekend by a lot of boardsies - well done - enjoyed reading all the reports as I sipped my pints/whiskey/wine :)

Tuesday March 4th: 6.16 miles @ 8:33. Nice run in the PP with the dog - would've went a couple of miles longer, but darkness was falling and didn't want to loose the dog!

Wednesday March 5th: Plan 10-13m MLR

Felt great doing this and found myself at MP fairly soon. (1st 6 m were MP - 10secs)
    Kept this going on the downhill sections of the PP and then on the Conyngham Road - went over to the War Memorial gardens for a couple of miles and brought it back up Chesterfield and home.
    Hadn't intended running the entire 13 miles @ MP, I had slowed up the 3 miles up Chesterfield/Whites road to about MP +10/15.

The MP miles felt comfortable enough - a couple of hills taxed me, where I slowed down but overall it was a good 'confidence' run.

Good 20 mins stretching following the run.

Hope I don't end up regretting doing the full 13m @ MP (average) as I've another 6mile MP session on Friday and 20m+ on Sat/Sun.

Total: 13:30 miles @ 6:49 (1.29:20 for 13.1 :) )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Too late to take a couple of seconds off MP? Or consider speeding up a little at the halfway point, and again at 20?

RayCun wrote: »
    Too late to take a couple of seconds off MP? Or consider speeding up a little at the halfway point, and again at 20?

I'd be lying if I said it wasn't on my mind.

I think I'll stick rigidly to the plan until 16 and see then.
    As this is uncharted territory for me - the main thing is hitting sub3 - and either way it'll feed my experience/confidence for a more aggressive assault at DCM.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Great going AMK. I can't even do that at this moment in a race :rolleyes:.

If you are getting to 15 miles @ MP in training you'll nail it in the race IMO.

Barring an unforseen disaster, sub 3 is a formality

• Registered Users Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Duanington

triffic session....triffic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭drquirky

Tuesday March 4th:
    Hope I don't end up regretting doing the full 13m @ MP (average) as I've another 6mile MP session on Friday and 20m+ on Sat/Sun.

Total: 13:30 miles @ 6:49 (1.29:20 for 13.1 :) )

If it were me- I wouldn't be running 13 miles at PMP Tues, 6 miles at PMP on Fri and then a 20m plus on Sat.

Nice run all the same though. I'd run 6 easy and really nail the LSR on Sat or Sun.

thanks DrQ - good perspective.

Just to put in some context.

The aim of the 10 (with 6 @MP) on Friday is to load the legs as the LSR at the weekend 'only' has 3 miles at MP.

Last week I done the following:

Mon: Session
    Wed: MLR @ MP+10 secs
    Fri: 10 (with 6@MP)
    Sat 15m LSR.

So this week is the same (faster MLR) with a progression on the longer run on tired legs.

Interested if this context changes your thought process?? (or anyone else with an input??)

thanks DrQ - good perspective.

Just to put in some context.

The aim of the 10 (with 6 @MP) on Friday is to load the legs as the LSR at the weekend 'only' has 3 miles at MP.

Last week I done the following:

Mon: Session
    Wed: MLR @ MP+10 secs
    Fri: 10 (with 6@MP)
    Sat 15m LSR.

So this week is the same (faster MLR) with a progression on the longer run on tired legs.

Interested if this context changes your thought process?? (or anyone else with an input??)

as you already know, I think you'd get more benefit from extending the mp miles at the end of the lsr (from 3 - 5/6) than you will from running them on friday.

I reckon a 13 mile mlr is enough to ensure your legs will be sufficiently drained come saturday to make it a testing run.

Theres a 10k in the PP this weekend (10am).
    Thinking of taking the above advice from Dr Q & Gavlor and doing 6-7 easy on Friday, followed by 15-16 miles in the PP from 8am then do the 10k @ MP for a total of 21-22 miles.

Theres a 10k in the PP this weekend (10am).
    Thinking of taking the above advice from Gavlor and doing 6-7 easy on Friday, followed by 15-16 miles in the PP from 8am then do the 10k @ MP for a total of 21-22 miles.

:eek: You're taking marathon advice from Gavlor?;)

menoscemo wrote: »

Here's an insight how my brain works.

Luke & Dave both 'thanked' Quirkys post. 'nuff said.

Here's an insight how my brain works.

Luke & Dave both 'thanked' Quirkys post. 'nuff said.

I thanked it too ya p*****:mad:

• Advertisement

The same gavlor that has a better marathon pb than either of you??!!

*AMK, i agree with your theory!!

I thanked it too ya p*****:mad:

that made me spit out my tea Meno :D

Gavlor wrote: »
    The same gavlor that has a better marathon pb than either of you??!!

Yeah the same Gavlor who halfheartedly followed my plan last time ;)

Yeah the same Gavlor who halfheartedly followed my plan last time ;)

At least I've learned to follow a proper plan this time!!!

Enough of that, how is your training coming on?

At least I've learned to follow a proper plan this time!!!

Enough of that, how is your training coming on?

Not great for the last while. A few niggles and currently recovering from a near death experience (manflu). Looks like I am over the worst now thank jebus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Absolutely savage running today AMK. Agree with the others..you ARE in sub 3 shape so just keep it between the ditches as BeepBeep would say.

My thoughts are: don't overcomplicate it and confuse yourself, (I'm seeing slight snipits of RK ;)) keep it simple. Easy running, one session with a bit of speed during the week( be that steady run or reps). Long runs with MP towards the end on most but not every weekend...sorted!

Just don't leave all your MP miles in the Phoenix Park before April 6th is all I'm saying! :)

Oh and in terms of the strategy..just make sure of the 3..once thats out the way you can make a right assault on DCM with nothing to lose.

blockic wrote: »

My thoughts are: don't overcomplicate it and confuse yourself, (I'm seeing slight snipits of RK ;)) keep it simple. Easy running, one session with a bit of speed during the week( be that steady run or reps). Long runs with MP towards the end on most but not every weekend...sorted!

Cheers blockic, appreciate the comments.

Totally understand where you are coming from, but the plan I've followed to a tee since mid December has a difficult 3 week period (starting last week).
    So all I'm doing is following my plan, which had the Mon session, a steady MLR and the MP section on Friday, a day before the long run.

The 1st alteration to the plan is now this weekend following the advice above.

$hit - hope I havn't started a debate about this - if I have I'm going back to RK's log :P

Cheers blockic, appreciate the comments.

Totally understand where you are coming from, but the plan I've followed to a tee since mid December has a difficult 3 week period (starting last week).
    So all I'm doing is following my plan, which had the Mon session, a steady MLR and the MP section on Friday, a day before the long run.

The 1st alteration to the plan is now this weekend following the advice above.

$hit - hope I havn't started a debate about this - if I have I'm going back to RK's log :P

Yep...i misread a bit above, I thought you orignally had MP miles in the 20+ on top of the MP on Friday...:rolleyes:

You've been rock solid this time sticking to the plan for sure but the next couple of weeks it will be wise to listen to the body too and adjust ever so slightly if needs be like you are doing this week.

I was too rigid to the plan for Rotterdam looking back..and have learned much from it.

I just don't want you to lose it now when it's so close...:)

Is it a 2 week taper?

blockic wrote: »
    Yep...i misread a bit above, I thought you orignally had MP miles in the 20+ on top of the MP on Friday...:rolleyes:

He did! That's what is in the plan

• Advertisement

He did! That's what is in the plan

Ya but the plan (the BAA one not AMKs) doesn't have MLRs at MP correct?

A game of give and take.:cool:

I'm gonna be sickened looking up at the two of ye in a few weeks time! ;) So much I've had to leave the country! :pac:

Advertisement