Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The main thing is keeping the main thing, the main thing

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

Totally agree with blockic's post above. I read today's training and I thought, "I knew RK was still around somewhere" ;)

Want my opinion? As usual You're getting it regardless :) Stick to the plan! However, today you deviated from the plan. That half time isn't too far off you PB in the grand scheme of things. It's a monster run. Shows the work is more or less done. You need to do a cost benefit analysis. You are the only person who can do this. Personally I couldn't do 22 miles the weekend with 6 @ MP after a good 13 mile MP run mid week. Now that's just me, others can. Well of course I COULD do the MP stuff at the end if the run but I'd be entering dangerous injury territory and I have a feeling you could be as well. Ask yourself, will you get a stimulus from that MP section? Answer is undoubtably yes. Will it be significant enough so that it is worth an injury? You have been injury prone in the past so assuming you're not 100% Saturday morning I'm going to say no. But as I said above you are the only person who can make this call. Think back to the chain of events that led to your calf injury Pre DCM!

One other thing that "grinds my gears" about boards logs and I've seen it starting here already. The assumption by posters that the sub 3 is in the bag. It's not an intentional thing and everyone who posts comments along those lines and in other logs genuinely mean well, but if anything they add a certain amount of unnecessary pressure and are unrealistic. I fully believe you have the arsenal (see what I did there) to break 3 hours. You are now in the zone of dotting the Is and crossing the Ts. Icing on the cake stuff, the sort of block of training that allow you to have a couple of bad miles, a lace open or **** break without jeopardising your time. But make no mistake you will need a lot of luck on the day, stay injury free, have a good racing head and be willing to murder yourself for the final couple of miles. Not saying you will but don't get overconfident, plan for the worst case scenario. Accept the good wishes but don't let them make you complacent.

Starting next week get back on that plan and the only time you should deviate is to cut or skip a session if you're in trouble. Don't overcook it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

interested in your comments regarding Rotterdam.

My big worry is that this 3 week heavy period will throw me slightly over the edge - so part of me is a bit relieved with the alteration.
    2 week taper to race week - so 3 in total.

Wouldn't it be great for me to have 2 PB's on you...... :)

Gavlor wrote: »
    He did! That's what is in the plan

oh shut up :pac:

TRR wrote: »

Want my opinion? As usual You're getting it regardless :) Stick to the plan!

Starting next week get back on that plan and the only time you should deviate is to cut or skip a session if you're in trouble. Don't overcook it!

Cheers Boss. Will do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

:confused: So 13 @ MP wasn't in the plan today?
    If so bad boy AMK :pac:, that's the old RK eejit coming out.... I am off to remove my thanks from that post.

Of course having done the above you should scale back on the rest of the weeks MP miles.

• Advertisement

I just checked your plan there actually. Today was an MLR of 10-13 miles right?

From the BHAA plan:

Medium-Long Runs (MLR)

These runs appear in the marathon training program on alternate Thursdays. The MLR is important training run done at a fairly steady pace (approximately 30 seconds per mile slower than marathon pace) for 10-14 miles

Talk me through why you decided to do 13.3 miles at MP again?? :rolleyes:;)

menoscemo wrote: »
    I just checked your plan there actually. Today was an MLR of 10-13 miles right?

From the BHAA plan:

Medium-Long Runs (MLR)

These runs appear in the marathon training program on alternate Thursdays. The MLR is important training run done at a fairly steady pace (approximately 30 seconds per mile slower than marathon pace) for 10-14 miles

Talk me through why you decided to do 13.3 miles at MP again?? :rolleyes:;)

The endohphins got to me :)

No harm done, so we move on!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭statss

you are flying at the moment - no need to complicate things. let's move on indeed. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭Beef

The endohphins got to me :)

No harm done, so we move on!

I know the advice is given with a heart and a half and is thoroughly sensible, but this post sort of resonates with me. Sometimes you don't want to run at a set, rigid pace. You just want to bloody run. If you're feeling good and want to run a little bit faster (and are also wholly conscious of the potential risks) should you not do so once in a while?

Okay maybe not. :P

Beef wrote: »
    I know the advice is given with a heart and a half and is thoroughly sensible, but this post sort of resonates with me. Sometimes you don't want to run at a set, rigid pace. You just want to bloody run. If you're feeling good and want to run a little bit faster (and are also wholly conscious of the potential risks) should you not do so once in a while?

Okay maybe not. :P

Yes but I think the point TRR was making is that if you change one particular run (i.e. a steady run done instead at PMP) then you should probably compensate by doing one of the other runs later in the week easier than perscribed.
    AMK was still talking about doing 6 more miles @ MP on friday and then another 6 at the end of his LSR at the weekend. Trying to pack too much quality into a week is a recipe for injury (especially if you are someone with a tendancy to get injured).

• Advertisement

Thursday 6th March:

A circuit of Lunges, squats and planks.
    2x15 min football matches.
    8x60m sprints.

The above is what I had my u14's doing tonight.

I on the other hand done an easy 7 miles @ 8:20 pace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Thursday 6th March:

A circuit of Lunges, squats and planks.
    2x15 min football matches.
    8x60m sprints.

The above is what I had my u14's doing tonight.

I on the other hand done an easy 7 miles @ 8:20 pace.

They really should be doing a few more technical drills.........

I joke, I joke :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Quick question if you dont mind helping, did you do the Maynooth 10k last year? If so what was it like course/organisation wise? I'm doing it in May, first race in nearly a year. Any input greatly appreciated.

tang1 wrote: »
    Quick question if you dont mind helping, did you do the Maynooth 10k last year? If so what was it like course/organisation wise? I'm doing it in May, first race in nearly a year. Any input greatly appreciated.

Hi Tang - good to see you back - Might even be doing that race myself this year (although the Dunboyne 5m is ~1 week later, so not sure).

I did do it last year and it is a great race - well organised.
    It starts in Maynooth college, so a few twists and turns initially, before going out onto the road.
    There is an out & back element, so you turn around a cone - the plan last year was to go through Carton house, but the weather meant that the Carton piece was shortened.
    Last km or so is great, downhill through the golf course and out onto a straight avenue.

I got a free massage last year at this and plenty of goodies at the end - also my sub 40 min breakthrough.

If you don't do this I would recommend the Dunboyne 5m (Tues 27th May Eve race) great race and massive spread afterwards.

Cheers for that A, my focus at present is just to finish it. No dreams of getting anywhere near a pb. I'll keep the Dunboyne race in mind to, thanks. Your looking in super shape for Manchester.

Friday 7th March: 6.47m @ 8:22 pace around PP with the dog.

Saturday 8th March: Plan 17-21 with mid 3 @ MP

Up early for this as Daughter#1 had Camoige match at 12.
    Small bowl of porridge and Parked at Farmleigh (leave water etc in car)

Legs felt tired initially, took a few miles to get going - kept the 1st mile slow and built it up.
    1st 10 miles, I went around Castleknock village and around the outside of the PP, going in and up by Upr Glen Road, back up whites road - back around C'Knock village again and into the park.
    At mile 9 or 10 I noticed a pain in my toe - a blister. I haven't had a blister like that in a long time.

The shoes (St5) & socks (1000mile) I was wearing were going to be my Marathon day gear - so good to test it today.
    Will need a different combination tried and tested by this time next month.

On the 2nd 10 I picked up the pace a tad - despite the blister (which caused me to stop a couple of times)
    Took a Gel and some water at 12 miles and went down the trails by the North road and out to the War Memorial Gardens.

Rather then the 3m @ MP I done 3m at MP + 20secs - given the 13MP miles I completed on Wednesday.

The last couple of miles took me again up the Upper Glen Road & the Furry Glen - so the legs were nicely fatigued by the end.

I had considered doing 23 miles today, but the blister was causing me a lot of grief by the end and the legs were fairly tired, truth be told.
    No doubt Wednesdays run done its job nicely :)

1st 10: 7:54
    2nd 10: 7:33

Total: 20.13m @ 7:44

Need to decide if I'm wearing the ST5's on Marathon day fairly soon - not looking likely after today - wore them on the last 22m run and the forefoot wasn't too comfortable towards the end either - no doubt it'll be in my head :)
    Might wear the Skechers GoRide on next weeks 16-18m long run to test them out.

Not quite a taper yet - next week is another 60m week - then its taper!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭drquirky

Good, SMART run. RK was trying to get out earlier in the week but nice to see AMK back- he's a much better runner ;)

Keep the head and you'll nail this!

Good stuff AMK. Are you still doing PMP at Balbriggan?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,084 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

What way do you have the ST5's laced?
    I find it's quite easy to tighten them too much so keep the laces quite relaxed until the last few eyelets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭Gavlor

The last 4 or so months has been one solid, consistent block of training for you.

Massive progression as a runner.

• Advertisement

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    What way do you have the ST5's laced?
    I find it's quite easy to tighten them too much so keep the laces quite relaxed until the last few eyelets.

I used the loop method you told me about in Dungarvan. Possibly too tight.
    Might also have been the socks?

menoscemo wrote: »
    Good stuff AMK. Are you still doing PMP at Balbriggan?

No, not going to deviate from the plan from here. Just in case.

Was going to do msb 5k, but not too sure now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Excellent stuff Alan. Looks like an apparel malfunction is the only thing that can stop you now. Your training has been brilliant.

yaboya1 wrote: »
    Excellent stuff Alan. Looks like an apparel malfunction is the only thing that can stop you now. Your training has been brilliant.

Nope, still a lot of work to do.
    See TRRs post a few days ago, he articulates it nicely. (Paraphrasing: a plague on your houses for saying that :) )

But I appreciate the sentiment !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

No, not going to deviate from the plan from here. Just in case.

Was going to do msb 5k, but not too sure now.
    :mad:

You've changed dude. You're no fun anymore. It's all sensible stuff with you now.....sticking to the plan.....doing all these properly paced runs.....keeping injury free....

What happened to the spontaneity and the love of life...... BRING BACK RK

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Nope, still a lot of work to do.
    See TRRs post a few days ago, he articulates it nicely. (Paraphrasing: a plague on your houses for saying that :) )

But I appreciate the sentiment !

Ok, fair enough :-)
    I'll take it back until you get to Manchester safely ;-)

:mad:

You've changed dude. You're no fun anymore. It's all sensible stuff with you now.....sticking to the plan.....doing all these properly paced runs.....keeping injury free....

What happened to the spontaneity and the love of life...... BRING BACK RK

Thats what parenthood does to you.........

What happened to the spontaneity and the love of life......

It's not worth the hassle I get on here :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

tang1 wrote: »
    Thats what parenthood does to you.........
    That's why I'm avoiding it like the plague ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭Beef

That's why I'm avoiding it like the plague ;)

But going by your log, you clearly have the maternal look... :confused:
    [runs away]

Advertisement