Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The main thing is keeping the main thing, the main thing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭dublin runner

If you have any doubts over the runners try something else. The last thing you need is a question mark over your footwear in the head heading into the marathon. Half the battle is a psychological one. Plenty of time to find something else. Keep up the excellent work

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Sunday 9th March

Short 3.2 mile recovery run (8:50) pace in the park by the house.
    Brings the total up to 65 for the week.

I thought the MSB race was on next sat - I went to book it but as its on Sunday - so no can do due to family plans.

Monday 10th March: Plan: 7x1k @ 10k pace (6:00) (2min 3min recovery)

Good lunchtime session this, although 2 school boy errors:
    (1) I had set up my watch wrong with a 3 min recovery rather than the 2 min recovery that it should have been.
    (2) Mistimed the run totally and ended up having to get home at a decent clip to make my next meeting and not get locked out (no keys with me & Mrs AMK heading out).

Warm up: 2 miles @ 7:50 to PP

Rep/Time/(Pace)

1/3:42/(5:59)
    2/3:39/(5:55)
    3/3:38/(5:53)
    4/3:36/(5:49)
    5/3:39/(5:54)
    6/3:41/(5:57)
    7/3:35/(5:48)

Done this on C'Field / Acres/Furze/O.Survey roads - Jogged all the recoveries. Bonus at the end when I thought I had 1 rep left but had the 7 complete.

All in all a comfortable session - Faster than 10k pace, but slower than 5k pace.The 3 min recovery obviously helped.

Warm down was faster than I wanted given the time constraint.
    2.25 mile @ 7:31. Made it home with about 30 secs to spare :)

Total: 10.56 miles @ 7:30 pace

Tuesday 11th March: 6.13m @ 8:42 pace

Ran some of the PP trails with the dog, despite the blue sky it was bloody cold!!
    Felt tired during this run - but to be expected.

Bumped into Belcarra just as I was finishing.

Spent some time doing some core work and stretching afterwards - been neglecting it a bit.

Wednesday 12th March: Plan 10-12 MLR (MP+30seconds)

Went from the house - lap of the park - ran home + 1 lap of the park near the house =11.5 miles.

On these runs I find myself drifting to MP - which I suppose is a good thing at this stage - so spent a good bit of the run watching pace and slowing down when necessary.
    Lovely evening for it too.

Wore the Skechers Go Ride with newish socks - blister was fine - will try the same combo on w/end 18 miler.

Came home to see one of my wifes friends in the house - hadn't seen her in a while - her 1st comment was "God your face is very thin" - I could have replied with "yeah? well, you look like a heifer since I last seen you" - but didn't :) .

11.5miles @ 7:08

More core work, stretching and face fattening excercises.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

Your description of Tuesday's run is exactly the same as mine... just without the dog!

• Advertisement

Thursday 13th March: 5m easy @ 8:26 pace - nothing startling to report.

Friday 14th March: Plan 6-9m with 1x15mins + 2x10mins @MP (5min jog in between)

Wasn't looking forward to this as I'm normally tired on a Friday and had a day of back to back meetings. Also knew the objective of this was to tire the legs for tomorrows long run.

Done this with the dog, so I'd keep the easy bits easy. Also wore the St5's and different socks to last week to see how they react.

2m from Farmleigh to the 15 Acres @ 8:40 pace and I was wondering how I'd shift into MP - normally I'd do strides to help, but forgot.
    Once I got going it was fairly ok - as usual the wind was a big factor on the straights.

15min: 6:40 pace - a very quick 1st mile ruined the pace - but found MP in the 2nd mile.
    10 min: 6:43 pace - similar story - quick 1st mile and MP on 2nd few mins.
    10 min: 6:42 pace - Changed direction so the wind would help me a bit at the end part.

All above with 4-5 min jog recovery.

On the 2nd 10 min segment - I felt a blister on the toe again - damn ST5's.

A slow 1.78m (8:55 pace) back to the car

total: 9.32 miles @ 7:55 - Maisys longest run this training cycle!!

When I got home, I had a blister the size of the Phoenix Park on my big toe.
    No option but to burst it :eek:

Saturday 15th: Plan 18m Long run

I had contemplated doing a progressive run for this, or doing 10m of it at MP, but felt that doing all of it at MP+30 might serve me better as a training stimulus given the training load I'd had in the week, especially the 9m the previous day.

I had the toe strapped with 4 plasters.
    Wore what I now know will be my marathon day Shorts, socks & shoes (Skechers GoRun Ride3 - believe it or not).

I made sure that I had a different breakfast than normal - I'm normally a porridge man, but as this marathon is 'away' I wanted to see how I'd do on just jam sambo & a banana (in case the hotel had not got Porridge).

1st mile was the slowest of the day @ 8:20 pace, but ramped it up soon after and had a fairly good 18 miles.
    Again - needed to slow it down on the early miles - the wind was fairly bad into the face for long sections.

I put in some MP miles at mile 10-13 and then again at mile 17. Mile 18 was into the wind and uphill to the car - couldn't didn't push it.

Total: 18m @ 7:21 pace (MP+30secs)

Delighted with this pace given the strong(ish) intensity week. I was faltering by the end as was against the wind, but managed a MP mile which pleased me.

Might just break my alcohol abstinence this weekend, given the weekend that's in it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Might just break my alcohol abstinence this weekend, given the weekend that's in it :)

Be a National sin if you didn't break it, a sober Irish man on St Patricks weekend, surely not!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

(in case the hotel had not got Porridge)

bring your own porridge!
    I will be bringing a tub of muesli to Limerick with me

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Coming on nicely, how's the body coping with the workload? Looking good for a good marathon. (Also I agree with Ray, bring your own porridge, you can get them in little plastic tubs that you just add boiling water to).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

watch the blister, maybe steep the feet in some salty water or water with dettol. Had to go to chiropodist myself the other day for the first time ever with infected blisters (and 21 corns :o). Was compensating while running and result now is sore quads and tight shins. All good now though thankfully.

• Advertisement

pconn062 wrote: »
    Coming on nicely, how's the body coping with the workload? Looking good for a good marathon. (Also I agree with Ray, bring your own porridge, you can get them in little plastic tubs that you just add boiling water to).

Body is doing very well this cycle. Good nutrition, plenty of stretching (all types) and lots of protein shakes are all helping.
    There's a lot to be said to the hard/easy & sensible approach.
    TRR wrote: »
    watch the blister, maybe steep the feet in some salty water or water with dettol. Had to go to chiropodist myself the other day for the first time ever with infected blisters (and 21 corns :o). Was compensating while running and result now is sore quads and tight shins. All good now though thankfully.

Cheers TRR - yeah - 2nd time in a week in the same place. Stems from the ST5's - still only 210 miles on them, so not sure whats up with them - they used to be my racing shoe of choice.
    Will soak them tonight - wonder if I can persuade Mrs AMK to do a foot massage.....

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Cleanman

I picked up two nasty blisters (one on each foot) from the ST5's last year after a race. Both were right under the area behind my big toe so there's definitely something there. The only ever time I got a blister was playing on a hard football pitch on a scorching summers day with a pair of studs about 15 years ago. I haven't worn the ST5's since. Look after it. Don't be afraid to take a day off (I know the immature RK that we all love won't understand why!) if it needs it.

OK you guys have me freaked. I was wearing my ST5s when I got the blisters too. Now I think the main culprits were a pair of dodgy socks. I have been wearing them with no problems on a couple of training runs and they were grand in Bohermeen half marathon but they did tear the feet off me last October in DCM as well. Side of small toe and balls of my feet are problem areas for me! Will give them a couple of spins again the end of next week and if I have any more issues I'm just going to wear my training shoes.

A gentle 5 miles (9:10 pace) recovery run around the trails in the PP today.

Weekly total of 66 miles.
    Interval session planned for tomorrow, but might shuffle the days a bit this week and take more recovery.
    Tempted to do a Park Run on Saturday in place of next weeks interval session?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

My ST5's are mighty, currently breaking in my 6th pair for the big day. Only mod has been a lace change.

Monday 17th March: Plan 3x(800/600/400/200) 1 min Rec / 3 min b/w sets (5k pace)

Was going to do this on Tuesday, but woke up to fresh legs - thanks mainly to Erdingers Non Alcoholic Weiss beer - which is surprisingly nice.

1.10 mile Warm up to the 15 Acres.

800's 5.43 / 5:36 / 5:08 (2:34)
    600's 5:46 / 5:42 / 5:37 (2:04)
    400's 5:46 / 5:36 / 5:36 (1:24)
    200's 5:26 / 5:02 / 4:50 (0.37)

Ran the 1st set fairly controlled and the 2nd set faster - still keeping enough in the tank for a faster 3rd set.

Delighted with the 3rd 800 rep - and even happier that I could improve the subsequent reps.

1.10m back to the car.

Plenty of stretching before and after.

Really happy that I ran these hard - maybe I need to run my 5k races harder!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭drquirky

Monday 17th March: Plan 3x(800/600/400/200) 1 min Rec / 3 min b/w sets (5k pace)

Was going to do this on Tuesday, but woke up to fresh legs - thanks mainly to Erdingers Non Alcoholic Weiss beer - which is surprisingly nice.

1.10 mile Warm up to the 15 Acres.

800's 5.43 / 5:36 / 5:08 (2:34)
    600's 5:46 / 5:42 / 5:37 (2:04)
    400's 5:46 / 5:36 / 5:36 (1:24)
    200's 5:26 / 5:02 / 4:50 (0.37)

Ran the 1st set fairly controlled and the 2nd set faster - still keeping enough in the tank for a faster 3rd set.

Delighted with the 3rd 800 rep - and even happier that I could improve the subsequent reps.

1.10m back to the car.

Plenty of stretching before and after.

Really happy that I ran these hard - maybe I need to run my 5k races harder!!

Nice running. Now keep the head and nail that race. The hay is in the barn AMK…..tbh the only thing you can do now is f it up by being silly. You've done all the work you need to do.

Tuesday 18th: 4.82 miles @ 8:48 pace - nice amble around the PP trails with the dog.

Wednesday 19th: Plan - 8-11m with 2x15m @ MP

Weather was a balmy 15c today - probably the 1st run this year in short sleeves without a baselayer or Jacket.
    But the wind was quite strong.

20min warm up from Farmleigh down to the C'Lizoid gate.

15m @ MP: 2.22 miles @ 6:45 (S Bends around to start of North road.
    5m Rec: (7:50)
    15m @ MP: 2.22 miles @ 6:44 (up North Road with wind in the face - probably should have slowed down a tad)

20m back to Farmleigh @ 7:40

Total: 10.33 miles @ 7:20 pace

Last mid week double digit run in this training cycle.

Also noticed my last 2 weeks were my peak weeks, but I haven't had a rest day in 17-18 days.
    Methinks I'll take a rest day tomorrow.

but I haven't had a rest day in 17-18 days.
    Methinks I'll take a rest day tomorrow.

Methinks you deserve one in fairness.

I've been milling through this stuff the last 3 months. Agree with you, it's not bad at all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

I've been milling through this stuff the last 3 months. Agree with you, it's not bad at all

Unlimited amount of free bottles after the finish line in Berlin :)

yaboya1 wrote: »
    Unlimited amount of free bottles after the finish line in Berlin :)

I use to refuse to drink alcohol free beer but had 2 after Berlin back in 2011. Sweetest drink ever. Great post race drink after slurping on carbo drinks and gels during the race. Ran a different marathon were they handed out beer but alcohol hasn't been removed. Knocked back a pint and puked about 2 minutes later. In my defence I didn't realise it wasn't non-alcoholic :)

I use to refuse to drink alcohol free beer but had 2 after Berlin back in 2011. Sweetest drink ever. Great post race drink after slurping on carbo drinks and gels during the race. Ran a different marathon were they handed out beer but alcohol hasn't been removed. Knocked back a pint and puked about 2 minutes later. In my defence I didn't realise it wasn't non-alcoholic :)

I thought I was entitled to one that day. But they never took my token and kept serving me. I think I had 4 or 5 while lying on the grass in the sun. It is the perfect (immediate) post marathon drink.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Bahanaman

Sounds good! Where can it be bought? Any chain off-licences selling it?

Bahanaman wrote: »
    Sounds good! Where can it be bought? Any chain off-licences selling it?

I think most off licences have it.

Sorry for turning your training log into a discussion about beer AMK :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Bahanaman

Me too!

In fairness, it's not real beer, just the pretend stuff.

If you dont mind me adding my two cents worth on the beer, mine been alcoholic, Kinnegar Scraggy Bay Indian Pale Ale, nicest thing i've ever drank.

tang1 wrote: »
    If you dont mind me adding my two cents worth on the beer, mine been alcoholic, Kinnegar Scraggy Bay Indian Pale Ale, nicest thing i've ever drank.

Where can I buy that? I can't believe I'm getting excited about non-alcoholic beer. I'd want to get my act together after this bloody marathon if I want to have a fightin' chance of retaining my beer mile crown ;)

• Advertisement

Where can I buy that? I can't believe I'm getting excited about non-alcoholic beer. I'd want to get my act together after this bloody marathon if I want to have a fightin' chance of retaining my beer mile crown ;)

Sorry TRR, its alcoholic, and comes in 500ml bottles not the best for the beer mile. Only place in Dublin i know sells it is McHughs on Malahide & Kilbarrack Roads.

Advertisement