Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The main thing is keeping the main thing, the main thing

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

tang1 wrote: »
    Sorry TRR, its alcoholic, and comes in 500ml bottles not the best for the beer mile. Only place in Dublin i know sells it is McHughs on Malahide & Kilbarrack Roads.

Oops, sorry misread your original post. The excitement was getting to me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Cleanman

Just over two weeks out.....let the taper madness begin:D

Be a good boy for the next two weeks and get yourself to the start line healthy and smash that target. What is the target by the way? There's so much sandbagging around these parts, that I can barely remember!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Target is 2:59:59 - anything else is chocolate ( or other such metaphors:))

No sandbagging here, I'll be lucky to achieve it. Actually thinking of going with the 3:20 pacers. Leg is sore. Weather will be terrible. Might have jet lag from the long flight. :)

The non alcoholic beer I was talking about before was actually Paulaner Weisbeer not Erdinger from Odd bins.

Yep have been supping the Paulner also. Some complaints by the family though regards its ability to fuel the most toxic farts on the planet.

Friday 21st: Didn't get out til after 9pm (considered taking an additional rest day) - but glad I got out. 5.16m @ 8:18

Sat 22nd: Plan 10-15m MLR

Out by 8am for this one - so as thats less than 12 hours between runs, does it count as a double :) ?

Wind was terrible into the face and the effort levels were definitely rising on those parts.
    Threw in 4 MP miles from 8-11 miles and then at the last 1.5miles as well.

Wore the kit I'll be wearing on marathon day (except the vest, which is tried and tested) - work the arm sleeves (under a t-shirt!) they worked a treat and didn't slip.

All in all the wind made it a more difficult effort than it should have been - that said it was still a decent effort wind or not :) - amazing how the mind plays tricks on you and you downplay a 14-15 mile run @ MP +20 secs - discounting it as a 'meh' run until you actually stand back and think about it. Its not all about the 20-22 mile efforts.

14.34 miles @ 7:11 pace

Inc: 4m @ MP (8-11) @ 6:50 + last 1.5 miles at 6:40 (finishing 0.5m at 6:30)

Right now I'm hoping that Manchester is much less windy on April 6th.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭Beef

Right now I'm hoping that Manchester is much less windy on April 6th.

Same here - but at least the option of tucking into a pace group will be there...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

tang1 wrote: »
    Sorry TRR, its alcoholic, and comes in 500ml bottles not the best for the beer mile. Only place in Dublin i know sells it is McHughs on Malahide & Kilbarrack Roads.

They also sell it Molloys (Tallaght & Clondalkin).
    3 for €10 at the moment. I'm going to try it tonight and see how good your taste is tang1 :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

yaboya1 wrote: »
    They also sell it Molloys (Tallaght & Clondalkin).
    3 for €10 at the moment. I'm going to try it tonight and see how good your taste is tang1 :pac:

I hope its to your liking, well done in Larne today.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Less than 2 weeks to go, training has gone very well. stamina should definitely be there so how are you mentally?

I know a lot can go wrong on the day but start nurturing the belief that you'll hit the sub 3. I reckon if you are there or there abouts at mile 21 then you'll nail it.

Cheers Gavlor. Mentally I'm pretty good - very confident - getting a touch more nervous as the big day draws near.

2 things that can scupper sub 3.

(1) Weather conditions
    Cant control that, but can tuck in with a pacing group (currently I dont intend to run with a pacing group).

(2) I get over confident and set out at a faster pace.
    The fact I know this is a risk, means I wont do it......... I Swear.

This has been a race lite training cycle - that has its risks and benefits.

One of the benefits is that the only race I ran was a good one!! An untapered 10 miler (62:39) at 6:14 pace and I keep going back to this in my head.
    My mantra, whether it be right or wrong is "If I can do 6:14 for 10m - that means (as my training has progressed since then) I can do ~6:30 for ~20 miles so 6:50 for 26.2m should be ok". Simples.

Now - fellow Boardsies - those who dont agree with that mantra, please don't say so until after the race :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

You've done some long PMP runs too, haven't you? If you can do 14 at PMP in the middle of training then you know that'll feel much easier in the race, you can get that far comfortably. And if you can get that far comfortably, you'll manage the rest - you'll be close enough to the end when it starts getting really hard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

Cheers Gavlor. Mentally I'm pretty good - very confident - getting a touch more nervous as the big day draws near.

2 things that can scupper sub 3.

(1) Weather conditions
    Cant control that, but can tuck in with a pacing group (currently I dont intend to run with a pacing group).

(2) I get over confident and set out at a faster pace.
    The fact I know this is a risk, means I wont do it......... I Swear.

Other things can go wrong... A bad stomach, a niggle etc. If I were you I'd have a couple of back-up plans if the sub 3 is not going to happen. E.G.......

Plan # 2 - Beat ecoli's PB

Plan # 3 - Beat Meno's PB

:D;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Very best of luck AMK.
    I hope you get everything your training deserves.
    Although I'm not running another marathon until the Autumn, I'm really looking forward to the races coming up in the next few weeks. I've been following so many logs on here that I feel like I'm somehow involved, even though I'm not!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

digger2d2 wrote: »
    Other things can go wrong... A bad stomach, a niggle etc. If I were you I'd have a couple of back-up plans if the sub 3 is not going to happen. E.G.......

Plan # 2 - Beat ecoli's PB

Plan # 3 - Beat Meno's PB

:D;)

he'd be sick if he beat Ecoli's PB but still didn't get under 3 hrs :pac:

Still 2 weeks to go Yaboya - plenty of time for that!

Must get Blockics PB (just in case its all going very well)

RayCun wrote: »
    You've done some long PMP runs too, haven't you? If you can do 14 at PMP in the middle of training then you know that'll feel much easier in the race, you can get that far comfortably. And if you can get that far comfortably, you'll manage the rest - you'll be close enough to the end when it starts getting really hard.

Good point Ray - that 'unscheduled' 13 miles at MP will definitely stand to me.
    digger2d2 wrote: »
    Other things can go wrong... A bad stomach, a niggle etc. If I were you I'd have a couple of back-up plans if the sub 3 is not going to happen.

eeemmmm.....thanks ;)

Sunday 23rd: 2 GAA matches and a family dinner meant I didn't get out for a run. Felt a bit guilty as my planned mileage for the week was 51 miles but ended up with 41.
    Taper week 1 of 3 complete - Legs feel 'better' now - felt a bit tired during the week.

Monday 24th: Into taper week 2 of 3.

Plan 1-2-1m @ slightly slower than 10k pace (4&7min recoveries)
    Act: 1-1.65-1m (4&5 min recoveries)

Took advantage of a slow day in the office & went for an afternoon meeting run ;) .
    Parked on the Furze road and went for a shorter than usual 1m warmup to the 15 Acres

Wind was blowing a gale and the rain was stinging the face so was contemplating what pace this would be done at in order to be at 'sower than 10k pace' - had the dog with me - poor thing was looking at me like I was mad.
    Done a few stretches and set off on the 1st rep.

1 Mile: 1st 1k was into the wind until I turned the corner. Difference was amazing. I tried to keep the effort levels the same so the pace quickened with the wind. (6:07 pace)

2 Mile: Didn't think this through well enough as my starting point would give me a good 1st mile a difficult 2nd 800m and an extreme final 800m into the headwind.
    Managed 1.65miles and then stopped - didn't want to push the effort levels too much on the taper :). (6:11 pace)

Took a shorter recovery than planned to compensate (5min not 7)

1 Mile: Done this on the straight part of 15 Acres - 1st 800m into the wind, turn around and final 800 with the wind. Job done. (6:07 pace)

1.36 miles cool down.

In hindsight, the effort levels were higher than they should have been - certainly the sections into the wind were.

Happy to get them done - brings to an end the Monday sessions.
    No more intervals with the exception of some MP efforts and strides.

Total: 6.9 miles @ 7:36 pace

Was thinking about Diggers 'Plan B scenarios' - I have no plan B, so its a valid point. Must give it some thought. (Not too much though :rolleyes: )

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭dazza21ie

Plan B: " Don't f**k up plan A".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭drquirky

Don't listen to Digdig and his plan b ****e. There is no plan b. You go out, you smash the ****ing thing. No doubt, no disappointment. You're in super shape.

Now excuse me while I go back to being piled over in ****ty nappies and crying kids :D

drquirky wrote: »
    Don't listen to Digdig and his plan b ****e. There is no plan b. You go out, you smash the ****ing thing. No doubt, no disappointment. You're in super shape.

Now excuse me while I go back to being piled over in ****ty nappies and crying kids :D

think I have a new mantra.
    I'd say you typed the whole thing without the '*' :)

• Advertisement

drquirky wrote: »

This * 1,000,000

Bascially, don't do a spurs on it

Plan A: 2.56
    Plan B: 2.57
    Plan C: 2.58
    Plan D: 2.59
    Plan E: 2.59.59
    Plan F: PB

No harm in having a few backup plans ;)

Tuesday 25th: 5.15 miles around PP @ 8:39 pace - set out in the sun, caught in the rain.

Wednesday 26th: Plan 2x15min @ MP

Brought the dog along for company, although she doesn't talk much :)

2m warm up to 15 Acres and set off on 1st rep.
    1st 15 mins (2.22 miles) felt hard work! (6:45)

5 min reovery jog.

2nd rep was better, but still legs felt a bit heavy. (2.20 miles @ 6:49)
    1.25m cool down

Total: 8:14 miles

Not too worried about the heaviness right now - probably natural at this stage.
    Next run will probably be Friday and I'll throw in some strides to liven the legs up.

Rub down booked for Monday.

Took a rest day Thursday and done a very easy 5 miles today.

For the last 2-3 days I've had a slight niggle on top of hamstring/ bottom of Glute ( do we call it a Gavlor?)
    Not a big worry right now but it's 'there'.

Done a few stretches tonight, had an Epsom salt bath and went mad on a sliothar.
    Put some tiger balm on it tonight. May have overdone it though.
    I smell like a bad Mojito.

Will go through the same routine tomorrow after a very easy 10 miles.

Took a rest day Thursday and done a very easy 5 miles today.

For the last 2-3 days I've had a slight niggle on top of hamstring/ bottom of Glute ( do we call it a Gavlor?)
    Not a big worry right now but it's 'there'.

Done a few stretches tonight, had an Epsom salt bath and went mad on a sliothar.
    Put some tiger balm on it tonight. May have overdone it though.
    I smell like a bad Mojito.

Will go through the same routine tomorrow after a very easy 10 miles.

With one week to go if you start feeling it tomoro cut your run short.

We need a name for that bit! Glustring?!

Speaking from personal experience don't go mad with the sliothar. Maybe do it every second day. I guess it really works the area but does cause some inflammation and if you're constantly at it you could just aggravate it further. At this stage is sounds like a nothing boggle but I'd get you local blond bomb shell therapist ;) to have a look at it rather than take risks with it yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

And remember the troubles that a sliotar caused newbygirl!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭Beef

I'd suggest getting it looked at. If they say its nothing your mind will be at ease at least. Otherwise it might gnaw away in your mind all week. Or maybe you're a rational person during taper unlike me? :)

Thanks guys.
    I have a session booked on Monday with Castleknocks finest, I'll mention your description of her, TRR :)

I don't want to overplay it as it's not something that's causing me any grief. It's just something that's there and may rear it's ugly head at mile 20 or something.

• Advertisement

Saturday: 10 miles at 7:31 pace.

Felt comfortable all the way around, threw in 2 x 800meter surges at MP towards the end. Avoided the hills in PP.

Stretching the glute a lot, it was a bit tender from the Sliother attack on Friday, so will lay off that a bit.
    Stretching and some of those heat patches seem to be working wonders on it. Tiger Balm is also very effective.

Sunday: rest day ( running up and down a sideline for 2 gaa games).

Advertisement