Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The main thing is keeping the main thing, the main thing

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,084 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Smashing run and PB, after another cycle you'll smash through the 3 hr mark.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Duanington

Bit of a twinge in the hamstring at 22 but Was on 6:48 pace till mile 24, then All going well til 25 miles.
    Sniper took a shot and hit me in the hammys and the calf. Got me again about half a mile later.
    3 hour pacer past me with about 800 to go, I thought it was more. Stopped to stretch and could only jog from there.
    Couldn't believe it when I seen the time, thought it was gone by 1-2 mins.

Lads, obviously disappointed by 37 seconds, but it's a 23 min PB for me and my 3rd marathon. It's all about experience and I got lots on this training cycle. Bigger and better things ahead.

3:00:36

Report to follow.

Fantastic stuff, well done AMK...that's a whopping time to take off your PB. Well deserved and obviously more to come

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭thewolf_ie

Well done that's a massive PB!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭skeleton_boy

Hard luck but a smashing PB. Much more to come I'm sure!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

Well done on the cracking PB AMK. Congrats.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭Beef

You're very good at drinking...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Beef wrote: »

No one finishing in less than three hours at the bar tonight..... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Yet another PB? :pac::D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

RedRunner wrote: »
    Yet another PB? :pac::D

I would have thought he would revert to RK tonight.... Go out like a lunatic and fade early on :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭outforarun

Fantastic time. Well done. I'm looking forward to the report. DCM for those 37 seconds (and interest)?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Ferris B

Fantastic PB and super time. Congrats and recover well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

Very unlucky Alan!
    The big picture will surely turn to sub 2:50 now given your huge leap to this point?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭barryoneill50

Fantastic run, well done!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭Gavlor

belcarra wrote: »
    Very unlucky Alan!
    The big picture will surely turn to sub 2:50 now given your huge leap to this point?

How you feeling about the weekend J??

Gavlor wrote: »
    How you feeling about the weekend J??

Go f%&^ yourself Gavlor!:rolleyes:
    Are we still going ahead with that Manager swap??:cool:

Go f%&^ yourself Gavlor!:rolleyes:
    Are we still going ahead with that Manager swap??:cool:

hahahaha mr precious!!

I was actually talking about the marathon on sunday :D

But while we're talking football....... Allez allez allez ooohhhh, everton fc, everton are we!!!!!!!!

hahahaha mr precious!!

I was actually talking about the marathon on sunday :D

But while we're talking football....... Allez allez allez ooohhhh, everton fc, everton are we!!!!!!!!

My big day out is on the 27th in Dusseldorf so almost 3 weeks to go yet.
    Final long run this week and then taper...
    Still trying to work out if I should be brave and go for 3:10 or be sensible and 'take' 3:15. Basically be RK or AMK! I'm leaning more towards RK at this stage...
    You should be set for a great race if you manage to fully kick the injury. You have great training since Christmas in the bank.
    I feel this plan was really good and I reckon I'll use it again for Berlin. What about yourself?

My big day out is on the 27th in Dusseldorf so almost 3 weeks to go yet.
    Final long run this week and then taper...
    Still trying to work out if I should be brave and go for 3:10 or be sensible and 'take' 3:15. Basically be RK or AMK! I'm leaning more towards RK at this stage...
    You should be set for a great race if you manage to fully kick the injury. You have great training since Christmas in the bank.
    I feel this plan was really good and I reckon I'll use it again for Berlin. What about yourself?

Sorry, for some reason I thought you were running london!

I reckon that if you have done the majority of the plan then go for 3.10. I've enjoyed the plan and will definitely use it again, I'm also in for berlin but have yet to decide on running it or not!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭Beef

How's the head? I'm absolutely f*cked! Just as well its not a long haul flight. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭theboyblunder

Ahh hard luck amk. Very cruel you were fit enough so you smash it the next time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Cleanman

How's the head? I'm absolutely f*cked! Just as well its not a long haul flight. :)

That's what you get for drinking with him. He might run like AMK but he drinks like RK!!

Well deserved pints for both of ye though. Well done:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Heads grand, sure we only had a few ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭Badreputation

Savage performance Sunday AMK...great running for an auld lad:)

He obviously types like an auld lad aswell.

Where's the f$cking report Alan???????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

He obviously types like an auld lad aswell.

Where's the f$cking report Alan???????

RK got his hands on it and it reads more like 50 shades of grey than a race report!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Preparation:
    My prep for this race was excellent.
    I had an unbroken 16 week plan where I hit every session and every long run bang on.
    Changed nutrition slightly during it, which helped me a lot, boosted recovery and didn’t really have too much fatigue, if any.
    Racing wise - I chose a race-lite schedule, foregoing the Bohermeen HM. My only race was the Dungarvan 10 mile which I completed in 62:39.

Build Up:
    The 2 weeks before the race I had a mild glute/hamstring thing in the left leg - nothing too serious, but it was there. A massage, foamrolling and a lot of stretching really eased it up. No issues with this on race day.

Three days out I began the carb load, food and carb drinks - the day before the race I felt very full and slightly bloated so took it handy with the loading.
    Also took a lot of fluids on - mostly Zero tabs, carb drinks, water - so my electrolytes should have been fine.
    Race morning, still a bit bloated, had porridge a banana and a danish. Orange juice to wash it down.

I hadn’t got my number, so I went to the race village at 7am and picked it up. A nice 5 min stroll from the hotel. Was in and out in seconds and went back to the hotel.

The Race:
    I lined up near the start line for the 9am start - about 5-6 rows back with the 3 hour pacer. LiketoSmile (from here on in called ‘Kerry’ as she was wearing a Kerry AC singlet and everyone was shouting “c’mon Kerry”) was there as well - I had dinner with her the previous night and we had similar race strategies.

Mile 1-5:
    At the start line, it was hard to fathom how big the race was as I was close to the front. There was about 7000 people there. In the 1st 4 miles there were all in & around Old Trafford - 2 out & backs which enabled us to get a good view of the leaders and the ones at the back.
    It was a phenomenal sight - one that would be repeated a few times on the course.

Felt very comfortable at this stage - I had hit the pace quickly and it felt comfortable. A quick word to Kerry and we both felt in the zone.

1st worry I had was that there appeared to be no regular mileage/KM signage - so it was difficult to know where you were - but I was with the pacer - so that shouldn’t be a worry.

Splits: 6:45 / 6:49 / 6:50 / 6:54 / 6:52

Mile 6-10:
    As we passd the 5 mile mark, my watch was reading 6:50 ave pace, but the pacer seemed to be slowing ever so slightly.
    At this stage there was a group out ahead, about 150 meters or so. I was thinking that that group would be so much further ahead later in the race, so I might never get them.
    1st big decision of the race. Stay or Go??

Just at the 10k mark (42:18) that decision was made easier as Kerry and 2 others made a move ahead of the pacer. I went with them and felt good about the decision. 1st Gel at about mile 7.

Within a few miles the average pace was back to 6:48.
    We hit the 10 mle mark in 67:57.

Feeling very good at this stage. Checked my form - all good. Felt strong. Mentally good. Really enjoying it.

Splits: 6:48 / 6:57?/6:49/6:43 / 6:51

Mile 11-15:
    This part of the course loops around a town, so you get the view of the leaders and then the huge train of people following.
    Although a flat course, this part of the course has a bridge that has a ‘hill’ so you cross it twice.

Nice moment on this part before the half way point there was a guy running with us and his wife was shouting at him and he was waving to them, but the kids didn’t see him - but on the return part after halfway, his wife & kids had a better vantage point and got a good high five from a proud and delighted daddy. I think the wind was blowing in my eye at that point….ahem.

Half way at 1:29:21. Feeling very strong and confident at that point.

Most of these miles were in Altrincham and the crowd were amazing. Two choirs - one was a kids choir were fantastc. Amazing support and a great memory.

Again we had the double view of the lead group and the many ‘000’s behind. An amazing sight to pass by possibly 6800 people in the opposite direction.

Splits: 6:47 / 6:49 / 6:50 / 6:39 / 6:49

Mile 16-20:
    At this stage I couldn’t hear the now familiar ‘come on Kerry’ as she had dropped off the pace - turned out she fell and her watch strap broke. I looked over my shoulder and seen her a couple of hundred meters back, still ahead of the pacing group.

Average pace was still 6:47, so I knew I had time in the bag.
    I started thinking that no one had passed me in the whole race at that stage and I was still passing people. Still running within the pace but people were tiring. It was a very warm muggy day and the promised rain had held off.
    Wind was a bit in your face at times, but it should have been behind us towards the end. Wasn’t a real factor though.

At this stage I had no idea where I was in my mileage. The lack of signage was becoming a pain. I was delighted when my watch beeped and showed 17 miles when I thought I was at 16.

Just kept going - took another gel at this point.

I can remember looking at my watch at mile 18 thinking how comfortable I felt - just a lap of the Phoenix Park left to go. Still picking people off.
    Miles 19-20 took us out to the country side. Felt very exposed here. No support.
    20 mile mark in 2:15:56

Splits: 6:52 / 6:47 / 6:20 / 6:51 / 6:52

Mile 21-24:
    Passed by the 20 mile mark and it seemed like we turned into a bit of a headwind. Nothing severe but noticable. For the 1st time I felt like I was in a race against myself. Went up a slight incline. This mile dropped to 6:59.

I could hear “C’mon Kerry” behind me and was delighted to see my buddy just behind.

At about mile 22 (hadn’t a clue) - I got the 1st sniper shot in the right hamstring and pulled up for a second. Kerry went past at that stage and shouted at me.

I took a salt tab at this stage, but the damn thing got lodged in my throat and no amount of water could dislodge it. Wasn’t uncomfortable, but I wanted it to be disolved and working its magic.
    Why didn’t I take them as planned on the course??

I got my stride back on but didn’t want to risk any 6:50 pace just yet. I knew I had a couple of mins grace at this stage. Average pae was still 6:49 and I was running well with no ill feeling at 7:10’s.
    I caught Kerry at this stage and passed her again.

Splits: 7:00 / 7:10 / 7:06 / 7:13

Mile 25-26.2
    At this stage I did not know where I was on the course. Had I just seen a marker at 24 miles or was it 23? Wasn’t sure. I knew it was close.

Out of nowhere a sniper fired a rocket and totally took me out in the hamstring and calf. I bolted something terrible and the had to stop to stretch and press on it.

The pacer passed me as did Kerry.

$hit I thought - lets get back going. I built it up and got back going.
    Mile 25 was 7:14.

At this stage I had caught back with the pacer - the pain from the cramp had subsided and I felt good again.
    I was going to do it. Just keep going.
    Pacer was just behind me - I could see Kerry ahead of me. Old trafford was looming.
    All was good in the world.

Bang. Bang. Bang. Right Hamstring. Right Calf. Left foot.

I was doubled over - pacer kept going “tough break Mate” he said as he went on into the distance.
    I stopped, stretched, hobbled - walked for a good few seconds and then jogged a little bit - totally disconsolite that I was going to miss it by a few mins now.
    I thought there was about 1 mile or more left so there was no way I’d keep going.

How do I explain this to the Boardsies. I had the expectation of so many people and was so comfortable with that expectation in the previous weeks and months and even in the previous 25 miles. That expectation was now stifling me.

But hang on…….
    But why were there so many people shouting at me?
    Where did these huge crowds come from as I jogged along?
    Why are they shouting at me to keep going?

As I turned the corner, the finish line was a couple of hundred yards ahead of me.
    I couldn’t believe it. I ran like I dont know what - the pain searing in both legs, I had to keep it going. My mind was racing. Was there still a chance? No surely? My watch read 3:00.
    I pushed hard and crossed the line. The clock read 2:53:17 (but had malfunctioned) so I hadn’t a clue how close I was timewise.
    Mile 26: 8:03 and 32 secs (6.18 pace) for the last push.

3:00:36 216 place and 33rd V40
    (Garmin read 26:08 miles - but we had been in a short tunnel??)

I found Kerry and heard that she has went under 3 with room to spare. Delighted for her.

While walking out I cramped severely in both legs and feet - couldn’t walk. Kerry & some lady helped me to the massage tent and what followed was the most torturous experience of my life as the physio tried to get the cramps away.

Post Race Learnings:

Race management from mile 22 onwards was poor. I should have known how close I was.

Training: I think my body wasn’t used to being pushed so hard physiologically. Maybe some long tempos would have helped that?

Race Lite Strategy: Similar to the point above - my body wasn’t used to being pushed hard - it screamed at me to slow down and stop. Maybe some more races would have been an enabler to managing the stress internally.

Overall it was a fantastic race and for 25.5 miles I was in with a good shout of hitting sub 3.
    I’m comfortable with my race, the pace I went at and how my mental state was (with the exception of the last wobble).

I’ts given me a huge boost of confidence and experience and I know theres a lot more in the tank and sub 3 will be sweeter in Dublin this year.

Note of thanks to the Boards.ie community - the support and feedback is phenomenal - slightly overwhelming at times :) and I’m extremley grateful to you all for the notes of support before, during and after the race.

Now as President Bartlett says….."whats next?"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Super post A.

Boardsies are like one huge family of support behind you. You didn't let any of the family down at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭dublin runner

Brilliant report. The race will stand to you, no doubt. Any thoughts on why you cramped? Interested to hear your feeling given you had a few days to process.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Duanington

wow - snipers taking pot shots at you for fun and you still ram a time like that down their throats.
    Very, very impressive stuff, lesser men ( or ladies) would have understandably re-enacted the famous platoon scene ( you know the one).

Well done AMK - roll on Dublin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Great report.
    Like you I felt pressure & expectation in Seville, but the reality is that it's not like that at all. The boards AR forum offer a plethora of support and advice but will never feel let down by the performance of any member, even if it's below their and the runner's expectations.
    If anything, the community offer you more support (sympathy) & feedback when things don't go to plan and reassurance that you will come back stronger next time. Obviously when they do, congratulations pour in like nobody's business and rightfully so.
    In saying that, your race was most definitely something to be hugely proud of and seems just a little unlucky that you didn't go under the three hours.
    I'm sure you will in the Autumn though, and I hope to join you ;)

Advertisement