Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The main thing is keeping the main thing, the main thing

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

As a former 3:00:xx guy myself, I reckon you're better off. This forum is a runner's graveyard for those who managed to knock out 2:59 and never found the hunger to keep pushing on. That handful of seconds will keep the momentum going and then next upset will be the 20 seconds that held you back from breaking 2:55.

48323384.jpg

I agree with KC. The "mystique" of the 3 hour barrier should not be an issue for you now. You know how to train and race it! Take it handy for a while but don't forget all the good training you did the last 4 months, that's quality training in the bank that you will be able to call upon in the future!

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Cleanman

Great report Al and great race. I was gutted for you like everyone else when the tracker eventually updated Sunday morning.

Now forget about the marathon for a couple of months - I'm excited what that unbelievably solid cycle of training is going to mean for your 5k time. I predict chunks to come off it!! 17:55 now looks very very soft;)

On the cramps, I reckon your heavy breathing friend was the sniper! It's just a theory though....be interesting to hear if Meno or Ray ever had cramping issues:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

As a former 3:00:xx guy myself, I reckon you're better off. This forum is a runner's graveyard for those who managed to knock out 2:59 and never found the hunger to keep pushing on. That handful of seconds will keep the momentum going and then next upset will be the 20 seconds that held you back from breaking 2:55.

48323384.jpg
    TRR wrote: »
    I agree with KC. The "mystique" of the 3 hour barrier should not be an issue for you now. You know how to train and race it! Take it handy for a while but don't forget all the good training you did the last 4 months, that's quality training in the bank that you will be able to call upon in the future!

Yeah - good points lads.

Motivation is very high, I reckon having DOMS is a good thing this week as I'd be out looking for some 5k to blast otherwise :)

This training cycle and the race itself has thought me lots and given me so much confidence.
    3:00:xx has a certain coolness about it - keeps it interesting.
    As someone said earlier - there's a story to it. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

How's the recovery going?

yaboya1 wrote: »
    How's the recovery going?

going quite well.
    Surprised myself this morning by springing down the stairs!
    Some DOMS still exist but not as bad as yesterday. I've 2 black toe nails on each foot - same toes on each foot (2nd and 4th) - dont know if that means anything? and they are a bit tender still.

Tempted to go for a very slow 2 miler later on to get the blood flowing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

you could go for a walk, will get the blood flowing without putting as much pressure on as a run

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

I've 2 black toe nails on each foot - same toes on each foot (2nd and 4th) - dont know if that means anything? and they are a bit tender still.

I had a black toenail for two years until this week. The dark-coloured section at the cuticle just slowly made its way up to the top, it never fell off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭statss

I'd say a little swim and a sauna/steam/jacuzzi session would do wonders this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

Congrats from Mr S and I on a fantastic PB:D
    Wise move of you to save sub 3 for later this year; Just think how amazing it will be to run it in DCM this year, much more fun than it would have been in Manchester:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

Marthastew wrote: »
    Congrats from Mr S and I on a fantastic PB:D
    Wise move of you to save sub 3 for later this year; Just think how amazing it will be to run it in DCM this year, much more fun than it would have been in Manchester:)

I don't think McGrattan's would have enough alcohol for that scenario!

• Advertisement

Tuesday April 8th: My Little one (the non running Irish dancing GAA player)came a credible 4th place in the Fingal Cross Country finals in Morton stadium - Of course Daddy was there to cheer her on.
    40 min walk with the dog in the PM

Wednesday: Rest - GAA meetings - big competition this weekend for the u14's as its Feile time. (Once in a lifetime competition for Juvenile players)

Thursday: GAA Training - Team talk stuff - Tactics - important things like 'Dont get Cramp' - 'Know when the finish is close so you can close it out' - important stuff like that :)

2 mile jog at 9:25 pace with the dog.

Friday:

Did I send xxx a good luck message for their Marathon?
    Sure I'll send another one.

Ok - maybe they wont check Boards, I'll send a FB message as well.

hhmmm, should I text them too - maybe just a quick text.

Might just call xxx to wish them luck again.

Is xxx even doing a Marathon this weekend ????

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭KielyUnusual

Friday:

Did I send xxx a good luck message for their Marathon?
    Sure I'll send another one.

Ok - maybe they wont check Boards, I'll send a FB message as well.

hhmmm, should I text them too - maybe just a quick text.

Might just call xxx to wish them luck again.

Is xxx even doing a Marathon this weekend ????

No I'm not running a marathon this weekend now please just leave me alone.

For my marathon recovery, I wanted to follow a plan to stop RK from talking me into doing something stupid.

I'll be (loosely) following this plan.
    Mainly because its the only one I could find. And mainly 'cos it seems to fit with getting me in some kind of race shape by early May.

Last week was my week zero. So my 1st run was a 2 mile very slow jog on Thursday and a couple of 2-3 mile walks with the dog.

Sunday: 6.5 miles @ 8.22 pace in the PP - plenty of stops as the dog wasn't in the running mood :)

Monday: Legs felt great - 4 miles(7:58 pace) easy in the little park across the road from the house - 8 laps. I reckon the dog ran about 0.5m as she was standing in the center watching me and sniffing. I'm saying 'mad dog' - she's probably saying something similar.
    Pace a little high as I threw in a few short strides over the course of the 4 miles.

Tuesday: 4x400@5k pace (300m recovery)
    Truth be known I was a bit apprehensive when I seen this in the plan, but the legs felt good, and I reckoned that 4x400 is a safe enough session to start with.
    4x400 went well - felt great to stretch the legs. As usual the 1st 150m of the 1st one was at about 5:10 pace :o - but managed to keep the other 3 under control. (85/87/88/86)
    Total miles was 6.7m @ 8.00 pace ave

Off to Belfast for a few days with the family. Not bringing the runners, good family time. Well I don't intend to bring them. Well, I'm travelling with 3 females so while they shop I might run. Maybe I'll bring the gear and leave it in the car. I'm bringing the gear.

Plan for April is recovery using the HH plan and getting race ready for May.
    Theres a 5k/3m race in work on Apr 24th that I might do. Getting paid to run - cant beat it.

May-June Plans

May looks a bit like:
    May 3rd/4th: Either Leixlip or Tallaght 5k to set a marker.
    May 11th: Lucan 5k (possibly if I dont do Leixlip/Tallaght)
    May 18th: Maynooth 10k (not a goal 10k but will defo get a PB!)
    May 27th: Dunboyne 5m (Goal race in May - for Sub 30)

June:
    June 7th Bohermeen 5k (Work travel dependent)
    June 21st Dunshaughlin 10k (Goal Race)

After that I want to try and find a HM in July before the holidays and an 11 week plan when I return from Greece for DCM.

Planning 50-60 mile weeks during May/June to keep the mileage high'ish and long runs upto 15 miles.

Unsure of which plan I'll follow during May/June - could be loosley structured on P&D from 'road racing for serious runners'.
    Unsure of which plan for Dublin but again, P&D could work as the 12 week 55-70m plan hits the ground running from week 1 with Marathon specific stuff.

Open to suggestions.

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭dazza21ie

What happened to joining a club?!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭theboyblunder

Hi AMK,

Good luck with it. 3 races in may looks a bit much to me. As for marathon training, I like P&D 55-70 mpw. Ticks the boxes and you dont need to write the sessions on your arm heading out the door like with daniels :) The midweek 15 milers are tough but you get used to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭cianc

Not that I have a lot of experience, but I'll +1 for P&D. I really enjoyed it last year, but I think you weren't a fan of the mid week MLRs when you tried it before?
    That was then though, this is now, reckon you'd eat it for breakfast :)

dazza21ie wrote: »
    What happened to joining a club?!

On the cards when the body is ready - late April.
    Hi AMK,

Good luck with it. 3 races in may looks a bit much to me. As for marathon training, I like P&D 55-70 mpw. Ticks the boxes and you dont need to write the sessions on your arm heading out the door like with daniels :) The midweek 15 milers are tough but you get used to them.

Yeah - was thinking the same - if one was to suffer, it would be the Maynooth 10k. Really enjoyed it last year and was my sub40 breakthrough. But theres no room for sentimentality in the world of finely honed athlethes :D

cianc wrote: »
    Not that I have a lot of experience, but I'll +1 for P&D. I really enjoyed it last year, but I think you weren't a fan of the mid week MLRs when you tried it before?
    That was then though, this is now, reckon you'd eat it for breakfast :)

My MLR's for the BAA plan were 13 miles at MP+30 secs - That must be RK you're talking about.

My MLR's for the BAA plan were 13 miles at MP+30 secs - That must be RK you're talking about.

Maybe? I dunno, who was that I was running with in the Phoenix Park? Did I accidentally pick up the wrong person in the Furry Glen? :D

cianc wrote: »
    Maybe? I dunno, who was that I was running with in the Phoenix Park? Did I accidentally pick up the wrong person in the Furry Glen? :D

btw - am available for some midweek runs next week if it suits??

• Advertisement

btw - am available for some midweek runs next week if it suits??

Sounds good. I'm away for the long weekend, but the rest of the week looks good. Will PM.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭statss

Would you not follow the same plan again, it seemed to work well with you, no?

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Ferris B

Yeah - was thinking the same - if one was to suffer, it would be the Maynooth 10k. Really enjoyed it last year and was my sub40 breakthrough. But theres no room for sentimentality in the world of finely honed athlethes :D

AMK, Is Maynooth run on roads? There's a lot of grass pictured on their website. I'm tempted to head there myself to have a go at my miserable 10k pb or might just run Terenure 5m on same day.

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭PaulieYifter

Ferris B wrote: »
    AMK, Is Maynooth run on roads? There's a lot of grass pictured on their website. I'm tempted to head there myself to have a go at my miserable 10k pb or might just run Terenure 5m on same day.

All on roads last year's course but I believe the year before they had a section on trail. I finished just in front of RK last year - doubt I'd finish in front of AMK though ;)

Lovely run back through Carton Demense. Hope to do it again this year.

Garmin Link

statss wrote: »
    Would you not follow the same plan again, it seemed to work well with you, no?

It's one to consider, but I have this niggling doubt in my head that one of the reasons (one of many) that I cramped was the lack of leg strength or the lack of real stress on the leg muscles.
    Doing 'real' tempos and longer MLRs will help build this.
    Once I recover, I'll be incorporating a leg strength regime into my training- not anything too drastic, in an effort to build up the hamstrings.

I think P&D hits the main things I want. Also looking at one from RunningPlanet. Early days yet - I could end up doing whatever the club coach has too.

Whatever I pick, I'll be trusting it 100%.

Wednesday: rest day - if you call walking around Victoria street in Belfast a rest!

Thursday: while Mrs AMK and the 2 girls went for round 2 in the shops, I went for a little session from the HH recovery plan.

The plan was for 3x1m at MP. The actual was one out of the RK school.

Mile 1: 6:32
    3 min rec
    Mile 2: 6:28
    3 min rec
    mile 3: 6:26

After I fcuked up the 1st 2, I just ran the 3rd at the same pace as the previous 2.
    It actually felt quite comfortable, but I'll be keeping a lid on it going fwd.

Total miles was 6:53.

Just read Beefs log, I think CM is going to give out to me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭Beef

Oh you're dead! I think we need 2 logs. 1 for training and the other for sneaky training!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Just catching up now following a few days of self obsession.

I don't think you should change plans. If you ask me, a faster mp and more mp miles in your lsr's would be more than sufficient. After all, you enjoyed the training and made it to the start line injury free. I think you should give the baa one more try but rk it up a little bit ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

Just read Beefs log, I think CM is going to give out to me :)
    Boys will be boys :rolleyes:

Advertisement