Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The main thing is keeping the main thing, the main thing

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Friday 18th: Lovely day for a run - went through the more 'scenic' parts of the PP.......ahem.
    No dog with me today, so miles were a tad faster.
    6:36 miles @ 7:36

Saturday 19th: HH recovery plan called for a 30m tempo - it has a fair bit of fast stuff in it for a recovery plan!
    Plan was to do 1m@7:30 / 3@6:15 / 1@mp/ 1 cooldown.

Done this in Porterstown park - a series of 4 football fields seperated by hedges and has a pathway around it thats exactly 1 mile long - no roads so safe for the dog.
    Well about 600m into the run I loose the dog :o - this causes me to speed up to find her, eventually found her towards the end of the 1st mile - faster than planned but still ok at 6:55.

The next 3 miles were the real tempo stuff - I hadn't done a tempo run in many months as the tempos in the BAA plan were at MP-10s.

Actually done these without any real hassle - delighted with that.
    (6:15/6:12/6:12)
    Done a MP mile (6:49) following that and a cooldown (8:03)for a total of 6 miles.

..............cant wait til I'm finished this marathon recovery plan and start the fast stuff :D

Total: 6:01 @ 6:46
    WTD: 29.79 miles

Sunday 20th: Swapped my runs around with Monday and just done a gentle 5m recovery (8:25 pace)

35 miles for the week (3 more than the plan called for - I'm so hardcore :) )

Monday 21st: Ran Sundays run today - plan called for 75 mins easy - ran 9.3miles @7:45 pace (~73 mins)
    Had a small crick in the neck when I woke up but it felt alright running - got gradually worse during the run. Only for the car was a few miles away I would've called it a day earlier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

What's the story with the 5k in castleknock? Who's organising it?

TRR wrote: »
    What's the story with the 5k in castleknock? Who's organising it?

Organised by K.O'N. - she's been putting it together for a while and finally got the go ahead in recent weeks.
    No Doubt MSB will row in behind it.

No map yet, but I think it starts and finishes at Castleknock College, going down Castleknock Road past Myos', into the park, out one of the gates and back to CC.

Tuesday 22nd: Neck still banjaxed - rest day.
    Walked the dog for an hour in PP- believe it or not, founds part of the park I never knew about.

Wednesday 23rd: Neck much better - up early as Mrs AMK & Kids are off to Spain for the week.....yippeeeee...sorry, that was too loud :)
    Still in Marathon recovery mode, but slipping out of it as the legs feel fantastic.

2m warm up - 7x400@5k pace (5:45) (200r) - 3m warm down.

The 400's were done at about 85 secs (5:45 pace) bar the last one in 76 secs (5:05 pace).
    Felt remarkably comfortable and felt very controlled all the way through.
    Would have loved to have done another set of 7 - or even 3-4 more........but that's for the next few weeks.

total: 7.5 miles

Plan to train with MSB next week, see what they're all about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭cianc

Tuesday 22nd: Neck still banjaxed - rest day.
    Walked the dog for an hour in PP- believe it or not, founds part of the park I never knew about.
    Do tell.
    Plan to train with MSB next week, see what they're all about.

Be interested to hear what you think, I'm still flip-flopping.

cianc wrote: »
    Do tell.
    Be interested to hear what you think, I'm still flip-flopping.[/QUOTE]

regarding the park - nothing too exciting - just a water feature and seats by the Cricket grounds/Civil Service Harriers that I hadn't seen before (as well as a Nuns Memorial ground) and entering the PP Visitor Centre by the back entrance (....oh Matron.....).

As for MSB - I see them every time I'm in the park :rolleyes: and know a few of them, their weekly schedule matches what I like doing too (as I'm sure every running club does).
    Weekly sessions in Morton Stadium, Gym in Castleknock College, Tempos on a Thursday, hill sessions on Saturday morning. So mostly all around the PP.

Personally, I think you're better served in Cru - there's a wider sample of faster times available there for you.....although you could be a superstar in MSB if that appeals to you??? :)

Ah here, I'm going to playing catch up with for quite a while, if I catch up at all.

The two things that have me undecided are: 1) MSB seem to have a good kids program, and I'd love to dump my two for a few hours every week get my two involved in a bit of running as they get older and see if they like it. 2) Some weird guilt about "keeping it local". Not sure where the hell that's coming from. I'm pure cosmopolitan me.

Anyway, you can be my spy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭outforarun

as Mrs AMK & Kids are off to Spain for the week.....yippeeeee...sorry, that was too loud :)

I'll see your one week in Spain and raise it to two weeks in Italy ... during the World Cup.

Nice 400s by the way, good to see the post marathon recovery going well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

1) MSB seem to have a good kids program, and I'd love to dump my two for a few hours every week get my two involved in a bit of running as they get older and see if they like it.

Crusaders also have a kids programme, you could ask Marthastew about it, but I think MSB's is more developed.

• Advertisement

Thursday 24th: 4.55 miles @ 8:25 - the downside of wifey being away is that I got to take the dog for a walk every day.
    Either shes not as fast as she used to be or I'm not as slow as I used to be - I'll go with the former :) - she's lagging behind a lot.

Friday 25th: 6.76 miles in PP @ 8:30 pace.
    Out with the dog again - didn't really mind the pace today, just wanted a nice easy one.

Saturday 26th: St Annes Park Run

Bit of a late decision on this one. Legs were feeling good and was thinking of doing a 5k in Kells on Sunday, but decided instead to do a park run as a tune up race for the upcoming 5k's in May.
    I had no thoughts about a time, the main intention was to get a 5k under the belt and get a reminder of what they felt like!

Turned up at St Annes at 9am and got a 1.5m warm up done - with some strides (1 lap of the route) - some small parts a bit twisty, but a great route for a Park Run.
    Done a few stretches and looked out for any familiar faces - expected to see the Killerz around, but they must've been off duty today.
    We started off - I was in the 2nd row - so got a good position.
    About 9 lads absolutely tore off at a stupid pace and I got a flashback to a post Raycun posted sometime back about going out really hard fast :pac: - so I thought no time like now to do that :eek:

The 1st mile, the 9 lads were a good bit ahead and there were possibly 1 or 2 a bit behind me, so I felt a bit isolated. The 1st mile was done in 5:31 - my fastest mile ever - then we turned into a very windy long straight road - not quite a gale but was blowing hard.

The next halfmile of so into that breeze was done about 5:45 pace and I was really feeling it in the legs - at the halfway point there was a guy calling out splits 8:52 he called for me and then I heard a fair few seconds pass before he called again. So no one behind me.

My pace dropped again and I was really fighting to keep it under 6 m/m but the lads in front weren't gaining any more on me - still a good way out mind you. Mile 2 was 5:54.

Before the 3rd mile I was getting the old familiar devil in the right ear - "drop out" - "go on, you've just finished a marathon" - "sure, no one knows you're doing it, just dont mention it" - I very nearly caved in as the legs were fatiguing big time - the lactic was coming out my nostrils :).

Kept going, but really felt myself slowing, gave myself a kick up the backside and pushed on a little.
    As I turned onto the home straight for the 2nd time, I seen a good distance between me and the next person behind - the guys in front were about 15-20 secs ahead so I wouldn't catch them.
    Just close it out Alan - nearly there - wind was blowing and my legs were screaming.
    As we got near the finishing chute, the guy behind must've closed the gap a fair bit as I started to hear footsteps behind me so I pushed on more - $hit I thought, If I can push on, why didn't I do it earlier?
    I guess thats the good thing about racing (once you have people near you to race!).
    In the end I closed out in 10th place - just beating the guy by 2 seconds. The gap to the next group behind was about 15 secs.
    Mile 3: 5:58

So finished with 18:14 on the watch - (confirmed as the official time).
    This is 3 secs off my PB - I didn't have 'time' on the watch so didn't know at the time.

Delighted with the time as I didn't feel I'd be close to my PB and with better pacing at the start I may have got it.
    With the wind on the long straight, I guess thats worth a few seconds as well. But it wasn't on my mind before the run, so I'm not bothered.

Great to feel the legs burning again and great to hear the old friendly/evil devils on my shoulders - I'd forgotten about them for the last few months.

1.3 miles cool down back to the car.

5k's are funny races (& timed events :) ) - I was dreading it a bit before the start, loving it for the 1st mile then spent 2 miles hating it again - only to love it as I though back on it with a warm fuzzy smile in the car later on :)

St Annes Park Run: 18:14 10th finisher.

Total miles: 5.9miles

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

If the weather is anything like it was out around us it certainly bodes well man fair play your in good nick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Great running so soon after Manchester, your flying. You made the right decision 5k wise, the one in Kells is a horror of a course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

the lactic was coming out my nostrils
    Haha love it :D

Great stuff outta you :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Great race AMK,

Savage first mile, that'd put you up there with some of the big boys around here!

You definitely have some big races in you over the next few months.

TbL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Good running AMK.
    Some standard down there this morning for a parkrun. Nine sub 18's!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Good stuff old timer

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

If we knew that we were having royalty this morning we would have brought out the honour guard.....joking aside I saw the name on the results and was wondering whether it was you.

I was the guy in the orange T that fell off the back after the first bend:( had a very similar race to you after that. Legs had nothing to give and was very close to taking the go home option after 1st lap. Finished out at 18:49.

Ferris B was one of the lads calling out splits.

Good running from you. It was a very competitive "timed run" today. Another day that time would have gotten you top 5 at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Mighty stuff, well done. Hope to make my debut there next weekend myself

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

RedRunner wrote: »
    Mighty stuff, well done. Hope to make my debut there next weekend myself

I am RD next week so feel free to say Hello.

• Advertisement

Wow, champion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Wow, champion.

You mean you weren't there to hug him as he crossed the line, some feckin groupie you are. :)

Ditch him AMK he's too fickle for you!

TbL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭drquirky

Great stuff AMK that's how I like to run 5ks go out hard and hang on- I'd say a couple more 5ks over the next month you'd break 18 v easy - those 2nd and 3 rd miles would come right down

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,084 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Nice one, must plan a tour of the Dublin Parkruns

You mean you weren't there to hug him as he crossed the line, some feckin groupie you are. :)

TbL

Too busy puffing and panting my way to 19:05 in Malahide. 8th though :-D

drquirky wrote: »
    Great stuff AMK that's how I like to run 5ks go out hard and hang on- I'd say a couple more 5ks over the next month you'd break 18 v easy - those 2nd and 3 rd miles would come right down

If I do enough of them, maybe, but I think a 5:45 1st mile would set me up better for sub 18.
    But as you faster guys say, 5ks are a skill and you need a few of them to develop that skill!

TbL

There were a couple of people there who I wouldn't have minded getting a hug from...........
    Too busy puffing and panting my way to 19:05 in Malahide. 8th though :-D
    $hit, should've done Malahide, my one and possibly only time to beat you. :)

yaboya1 wrote: »
    Good running AMK.
    Some standard down there this morning for a parkrun. Nine sub 18's!

Yeah, those 9 just tore off. Amazing to watch (from a distance)!
    FBOT01 wrote: »
    If we knew that we were having royalty this morning we would have brought out the honour guard.....joking aside I saw the name on the results and was wondering whether it was you.

I was the guy in the orange T that fell off the back after the first bend:( had a very similar race to you after that. Legs had nothing to give and was very close to taking the go home option after 1st lap. Finished out at 18:49.

Ferris B was one of the lads calling out splits.

Good running from you. It was a very competitive "timed run" today. Another day that time would have gotten you top 5 at least.

Calling the splits is a nice touch, pretty windy on the straight out there.......it's never ending. I was looking out for Jamie, I forgot that you and Ferris also help out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

Well done AMK on a great run.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Duanington

Great stuff AMK - loved reading that report, fair play for pushing on through the hurt.

This sums 5ks up for a lot of people I'd say !

"5k's are funny races (& timed events :) ) - I was dreading it a bit before the start, loving it for the 1st mile then spent 2 miles hating it again - only to love it as I though back on it with a warm fuzzy smile in the car later on :)
    "

Advertisement