Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The main thing is keeping the main thing, the main thing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭thewolf_ie

Good running well done!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Sunday 27th

1st run with the new club (MSB) - so you lot can lay off me now.......... I might even ignore you at races :D

Met some of the MSB heads in PP for a 10 miler this morning, we were in the company of greatness as Catherina McKiernan joined us (as apparently she often does) - so was great to chat away with her for a bit.
    10 miles flew in as I chatted with a few of the lads/lassies - seems to have a good structure to the club, with some good sessions being spoke about.(Alternating Track sessions with Tempos - hill work or tempos on Saturdays - gym work on Mondays).

The whole of the run was done on trail, which was great and opened my eyes to other parts of the park.

Came back and brought the dog for a couple of miles before going to watch Castleknock U14's get beaten in the Camoige Feile Final by a last second goal. Broke my heart to see the girls in tears.

10 miles at 7:39 + 2.6 miles at 7:40

Total: 12.6 miles @ 7:40 (46.5 for the week)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

1st run with the new club (MSB) - so you lot can lay off me now

ah no, this is where we start slagging you, fecking MSBer :pac:

Monday 28th: 4.9m @ 8:50 recovery run. Had thought about a rest day, but glad I ran.

Tuesday 29th: 8.16m @ 7.16 - nice steady run this morning.
    Left the dog at home as I wanted to really stretch the legs. Done a lap of the park & took in Military hill, upper glen road and the Furry Glen. Legs nicely fatigued. Took a handy last mile around Farmleigh.

Super day for running, just those pesky midges.
    In my ears, eyes, noes, mouth - bring back that rain. Bah Humbug.

Brought the dog for a 3-4mile walk back down to the PP.

Wifey home tomorrow - which reminds me, better go to the bottle bank.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Congrats on joining the club! Bout time! ;)

• Advertisement

Club session tonight.

The usual haunt in Santry was booked up so we done this on a grass track in Porterstown - as it was my 1st session, I was thankful for it as I believe its bedlam in Santry with so much going on.

Plan was for 4x800 (2min) + 1x1m (4min)

Started off with a warm up and 6x60m strides.

800's were: 2.49/2.46/2.48/2.45 (Coach wanted them done faster than 5k pace)

4 mins rest then the mile - 1 mile: 5:29

Happy to keep the pace for the mile - had I done this session on my own, the mile would've been closer to 5:50-6:00 (5k/10k pace)

With a wu & cd: total mileage was 6.7 miles.

I Like these sessions - good banter and the comradeship afterwards is fantastic. The slagging in between I was more than able to deal with.

End of April Report

154 Miles
    2:59:96 Marathon :)
    Good marathon recovery (HH Plan)
    18:14 5k in St Annes (3 sec outside PB)
    Joined a club.

May Goals:
    2 races:
    5k PB: Lucan 5k (11th May) (or SOTS 13th May)
    5mile PB (sub 30) (27th May Dunboyne)
    Not going to chase mileage, but looking at 180-200 miles (45-50 per week)
    Get training goals for June-July (focused on 10k/HM)

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭thewolf_ie

Well done that was a quick recovery ;)

Thursday May 1st: 4.8 miles recovery at 9 min/miles - nice recovery as the legs were tired.

Friday 2nd: Rest day

Saturday 3rd: Club session - 20x hills

Was unsure what the session would be or how long it would be so drove down to the PP to meet up. a Gentle 1m jog to the Furry Glen for the hill work. Theres 2 'cinder' hills at the very back of the Glen - 1 is steeper, 1 is slightly longer - both no longer than 180-200m.

Coach let it be known that this was a strength session, not a pace session, so run them hard but not full on.
    As it was my 1st time doing hills since God was a boy, I done 14 reps - the rest done 20.

Was a great session, really felt I was working by the middle of the session. Glad to finish at 14. Coach sent me off jogging for a few mins and then told me to stretch - showing me the right stretches to do. Its a bit like being in school again :).

Another good thing with MSB (right now) is that its not a big club, so the sessions have a nice number of people - means you get good coaching and you get to have a good chat with the coach.

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭cianc

I know those hills, but for some reason never considered them for repeats. Plus there's the two other paved roads out of the FG for longer hills, perfect!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭SamforMayo

Thursday May 1st: 4.8 miles recovery at 9 min/miles - nice recovery as the legs were tired.

Friday 2nd: Rest day

Saturday 3rd: Club session - 20x hills

Was unsure what the session would be or how long it would be so drove down to the PP to meet up. a Gentle 1m jog to the Furry Glen for the hill work. Theres 2 'cinder' hills at the very back of the Glen - 1 is steeper, 1 is slightly longer - both no longer than 180-200m.

Coach let it be known that this was a strength session, not a pace session, so run them hard but not full on.
    As it was my 1st time doing hills since God was a boy, I done 14 reps - the rest done 20.

Was a great session, really felt I was working by the middle of the session. Glad to finish at 14. Coach sent me off jogging for a few mins and then told me to stretch - showing me the right stretches to do. Its a bit like being in school again :).

Another good thing with MSB (right now) is that its not a big club, so the sessions have a nice number of people - means you get good coaching and you get to have a good chat with the coach.

Teachers pet;)

Sunday 4th May: 14:04 miles @ 8:00 pace.

Knowing that the MSB long run is anything from 7 to 10 miles, I ran the 2 miles to the PP today and met up with the gang (just 7 of us today) for the run.
    Great to meet some new faces and the craic & banter was flowing from the off.

Same trail route as last week, creatures of habit I guess, but good to have it all on grass. Finished up with them after their 10 miles and jogged (slowly) home for 14 miles for the day.
    Was in a bit of a jock when I got home as the hills took more out of me than I expected - my glutes are very sore right now and calfs are tight. I guess it's a good thing??
    Maybe 10 miles might have been better today :) - hindsight is wonderful.

Planning to do Lucan 5k next Sunday, so will take it handy'ish this week with the intensity. Will still do the Wednesday session though!!

Great results today from all Boardsies who were racing - delighted to see the reports and results about CM, TbL, Raycun and MS (all I know right now) but performance of the day must have been ecoli who finally cracked the sub 3. Well done young man! :D

43.4 miles for the week - not too shabby given the intensity of some of the runs (2 sessions, 1 steady run, 1 lsr, 2 v.easy runs)
    As I now know the structure of the club sessions, I can amend my plan to suit.

Monday 5th: 6.22 @ 9.06 pace - lovely recovery run with the dog around the PP, 1st time going around the polo grounds, thank Jebus the dog didn't leave a pile!!

Tuesday 6th: 7.7m @ 7:28 pace.
    A loop of the park (no dog) - ran at a decent pace, but had to keep holding back with a club session on Wednesday. Was just thinking that this would possibly mean I've done more club sessions than Gavlor at this stage. And possibly Blockic. Together.

Had a plan to run either Lucan on Sunday or the SOTS on Tuesday, but both could be in trouble due to damn real life getting in the way.

Still unsure of my medium term plans?

Part of me is thinking of the long play. Do a good 10k block of training upto July for the Fingal 10k, then I go off on holidays.
    Return to HM specific training and maybe give Dublin a miss this year :eek: and do a spring marathon next year.

then again - I'll probably do Dublin with a 2.55 goal........decisions decisions.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Good man re: the sessions....

What are your pb's????

:D

Wednesday 7th: Club session 6x800 (2min R)

2.15m warm up around Santry Demense- lovely place for a run - I looking about for those strange birds that you see around these parts, you know the ones - Ososlos or something like that. Didn't spot any :)

Onto the track and the session was 6x800 - coach explained that he wanted these done at alternating efforts 80%/90% - with a 4-5 second difference.
    Difficult to gauge what 80-90% effort is

2:51/2:47/2:50/2:46/2:49/2:39 were the splits.

Felt fairly good during and afterwards - was my 1st time on the track in Santry since I was in secondary school, but it was all black and white back then.
    We share the track with Raheny, so was looking out for Red Runner - spotted him as I was going for the warm down.

1.5m warm down in the park.

7.6m for the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

2.15m warm up around Santry Demense- lovely place for a run - I looking about for those strange birds that you see around these parts, you know the ones - Ososlos or something like that. Didn't spot any :)

ha! I passed someone who looked vaguely familiar running in the park tonight. Seeing as I've only met you once and it's all a bit of a blur I wasn't quite sure (like when I passed redrunner on the street) that it was your good self. I should have remembered those rugged good looks;)
    Why were you running on your own? Would none of the big boys run with you:confused: That's just mean:mad:
    I'll stop next time and say hi!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Ososlo wrote: »
    I should have remembered those rugged good looks;)

He was toying with the idea at one time of using the Boards name of RunningAdonis i believe, dont be giving him fresh ideas!!

That's a nice steady set of club sessions you're knocking out these days A, looking forward to seeing how you do over the shorter distances. What's the next race on the plan?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,625 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

ha! I passed someone who looked vaguely familiar running in the park tonight. Seeing as I've only met you once and it's all a bit of a blur I wasn't quite sure (like when I passed redrunner on the street) that it was your good self. I should have remembered those rugged good looks;)
    Why were you running on your own? Would none of the big boys run with you:confused: That's just mean:mad:
    I'll stop next time and say hi!

O,

"Rugged good looks", it's not another pair of new runners you need, but rather a white cane and Labrador!!

TbL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭drquirky

Why were you running on your own? Would none of the big boys run with you:

Hahaha MSB have no "big boys" lol

• Advertisement

Thanks Cian for the mature and cultured reply- that's in short supply around here :)

Not sure of a race, was hoping to do a 5k this weekend, but that's not going to happen now. It could be Dunboyne 5m on 27th.

As for Tang, I do believe those words came from MS!
    Quirky, John Coughlan :)

Ososlo, I was there early and just passing time - sure they love me there :)

Thanks Cian for the mature and cultured reply- that's in short supply around here :)

Now I look like a nerd in front of the cool kids :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

cianc wrote: »
    Now I look like a nerd in front of the cool kids :(

NEEERRRDDDDD!!!!!

homer_simpson_chamando_nerd.png

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Onto the track and the session was 6x800 - coach explained that he wanted these done at alternating efforts 80%/90% - with a 4-5 second difference.
    Difficult to gauge what 80-90% effort is

2:51/2:47/2:50/2:46/2:49/2:39 were the splits.

Felt fairly good during and afterwards - was my 1st time on the track in Santry since I was in secondary school, but it was all black and white back then.
    We share the track with Raheny, so was looking out for Red Runner - spotted him as I was going for the warm down.

1.5m warm down in the park.

7.6m for the day.

Snap!
    Good session there. Hoping to get down regularly from now on so hopefully get to have a proper chat next time.

Not sure of a race, was hoping to do a 5k this weekend, but that's not going to happen now. It could be Dunboyne 5m on 27th.

Ah interesting, I'm considering that too. It's the only race around that time that's longer than a park run and within striking distance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Theres a 4km race on 1.6.14 in Summerhill both of ye could easily win.

tang1 wrote: »
    Theres a 4km race on 1.6.14 in Summerhill both of ye could easily win.

Hand-hold finish?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,625 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

cianc wrote: »
    Hand-hold finish?

Cian, must resist! For the love of jaysus your're making this too easy for me!

TbL

Thursday 8th: 6.0m Recovery run with the dog - 8:50 pace.

Friday: Rest day - Running up and down the sideline watching my u14's get beaten after a great 2nd half comeback.

Saturday 10th: Club Session

No coach for this one, the choice was to do a 5km tempo run around the munich/Khyber area or a set of trail laps.
    The lads couldn't face the tempo, so decided to do a set of trail laps - worked out about 5x750m - but its a whole different workout to the track session we done on Wednesday. I was b011!*€d after it.

The general session should have been 1500/750/1500/750/1500 off 2mins - so the guys took it easy today. (didn't feel in any way easy)

I messed up my watch so didn't get any splits (pressed stop rather than 'lap') - but after the 3rd one I was ready to quit. After the 4th one I had jelly legs and the 5th one was just a grind to the finish.
    Still managed to keep similar distance to the front lad - so that was a good sign.

I can see what those XC lads go through now - its a different story alright.
    I had ran to & from the PP, so total mileage worked out about 8 miles.

I also got my MSB singlet, but they had no large sizes, so right now I look like someone out of 'the only way is Essex' - either that or TbL in a tutu - cant figure out which :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭drquirky

Good sesh AMK- surprised I didn't run into you lads as I was up that way around 10:30...

Advertisement