Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The main thing is keeping the main thing, the main thing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

drquirky wrote: »
    Good sesh AMK- surprised I didn't run into you lads as I was up that way around 10:30...

Home and all by 10 :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

I also got my MSB singlet, but they had no large sizes, so right now I look like someone out of 'the only way is Essex' - either that or TbL in a tutu - cant figure out which :pac:
    I think you could work the chippendale look :D

I think you could work the chippendale look :D

Surely you mean 'Chipmunk'

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Killerz

Saturday 26th: St Annes Park Run

Turned up at St Annes at 9am and got a 1.5m warm up done - with some strides (1 lap of the route) - some small parts a bit twisty, but a great route for a Park Run.
    Done a few stretches and looked out for any familiar faces - expected to see the Killerz around, but they must've been off duty today.

5k's are funny races (& timed events :) ) - I was dreading it a bit before the start, loving it for the 1st mile then spent 2 miles hating it again - only to love it as I though back on it with a warm fuzzy smile in the car later on :)

St Annes Park Run: 18:14 10th finisher.

Total miles: 5.9miles

AMK, sorry I missed you at St Annes parkrun, been a bit mental there of late with holidays, exam etc. etc. going on but looks like you had a great run at our 'timed event' ;)

Sunday 11th: 7.4m @7:58 - Trail running in the PP with the dog - this must be her 7 mile PB :)

Monday 12th: 5.24@7.07
    Not following a plan at the moment, unsure what to do so decided to do a steady progression run - hadn't got much time so 5 miles would have to suffice. (7:30/7:17/6:55/6:45/7:06 (7:14) )

Thinking of doing the Maynooth 10k on Sunday - not fully committed yet.
    Was going to do Terenure 5m but as I'm doing Dunboyne 5m on 27th - 2 PB's in a 10 day period sounds better :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,195 ✭✭✭PaulieC

Sunday 11th: 7.4m @7:58 - Trail running in the PP with the dog - this must be her 7 mile PB :)

Have the trails dried out yet ? The last time I was in there, they were pretty sticky, especially up around Ashtown/Castleknock gates.
    Well done that dog!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭MisterDrak

AMK, just catching up on the log at present, some great sessions there and even greater race reports...

I see above that you are going to do Dunboyne on the 27th, you will probably see me at mile 4, where your finished and driving home !

PaulieC wrote: »
    Have the trails dried out yet ? The last time I was in there, they were pretty sticky, especially up around Ashtown/Castleknock gates.
    Well done that dog!

When the rain is that bad, I stay over the other side, as its on hill it tends to drain quicker.

MisterDrak wrote: »
    AMK, just catching up on the log at present, some great sessions there and even greater race reports...

I see above that you are going to do Dunboyne on the 27th, you will probably see me at mile 4, where your finished and driving home !

good to see you back and getting back into the faster stuff.

Any long term plans?

Just heard Career Move had a baby............... congrats

;)

• Advertisement

Just heard Career Move had a baby............... congrats

;)
    You're too kind :p:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭MisterDrak

good to see you back and getting back into the faster stuff.

Any long term plans?

I'm probably using the work "Easy" a bit to liberally at the moment, however the last thing I need is to fall back into injury.
    A few park runs, probably the summer race series, Dunboyne 5M, Dunsaughlin 10K, and possibly the Athlone 3/4 to round off the long stuff for the year.

Tuesday 13th: 5.2 miles @ 8:02 pace - easy run with 5x100m sprints on MSB grass track in Porterstown. Legs felt great all evening after this.

Signed up for Maynooth 10k - not a target race by any means, but will give me a decent indication as to where I am. Current PB is 38:48 so should do some damage to that.

Wednesday 14th: Club Session - 4x (800/400) 90secs between reps - 2min between sets.
    Was a warm grubby night in Santry and was thankful for the hazy rain.
    Pace was to be 3k pace for 800's and faster on the 400's

1. (2.41 / 1.10)
    2. (2.41 / 1:12)
    3. (2:39 / 1:11)
    4. (2:42 / 1:10)

V Happy with the session - amazing how 4800m worth of reps can be so different depending on how you make them up.
    Definitely a harder session than the 6x800 last week.

During one of my 400's I breezed past Sean Hehir, thought about doing an Eamonn Coughlan look, but didn't want to disrespect him :)
    He was sitting down at the time.

With a 2.8m WU and 1m CD - total mileage was 7.2m

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Signed up for Maynooth 10k

Might bump into Sunday so, you should be well finished and showered by time i cross the line!!

Thurs 15th: Mad day in work- GAA training - Rest day from running

Friday 16th: Mad busy in work, only got 4m in. 4.1 @ 8.26m

Saturday 17th 5.5m @ 8:20mile - warm easy run in the PP with the dog. Threw in some strides.

Sunday 18th: Maynooth 10k Race TimeTrial

Although this wasn't by any means a goal race for me, I had very high hopes of going under 38 mins for this.
    Main intention of this race was to run a 10k as its been a year since my last 10k (this same race last year where I went sub 40 for the 1st time :) in 38:48).

Had a communion party for my neighbour last night, but was fairly good - only a few glasses of wine and a couple of bottles on non alcoholic beer. (should've had real beer as it turned out :) )

Woke up tired on Sunday morning, but that was ok - race day fatigue is normal, isn't it??
    Good breakfast - the cup of coffee to help with the .....errr ......movements, and all was good in the world.

Got to Maynooth and had my number in about 10 seconds - all very organised.
    Met Davemcmahon & Tang1 for a warm up and some stretches before doing some strides and lining up fairly near the top.

Found it amusing as there was a group of 10 ladies at the very front, toeing the line, without being disrespectful, they didn't look like they should have been there - and the weren't even wearing DSD tops :p

Rather than a gun, the race was started with a countdown 3-2-1 and then the great DJ Carey pucked a sliothar into the field to get us going. Nice!!

Within 20 yards, the ladies were swallowed up - within about 300-400 yards, the top 8-9 lads were off on there own - I settled into 10th place and very soon, well before the 1k mark, I was on my own - the lads were too far ahead and the lads behind were a bit behind.

This is how it stayed for the entire race :mad:

The bit in St Patricks College is lovely - a good few turns, but its very peaceful and scenic - well worth seeing.
    As I went out of the college, I couldn't see the lads ahead until I turned a corner, knew it was going to be tough to hold 6min miles for the whole thing.
    Mile 1: 5:58

We opened out onto the road and I couldn't hear any footsteps behind me, but did hear from the cheering that there was about 5-6 seconds between me and the next group.
    Mile 2: 6:03

During this part of the race I was thinking about outforarun's log and how he done a 10k TT this week - this is exactly how this felt.
    Still on the main road, still huffing and pace had dropped a bit.
    Mile 3: 6:06

We turned around at the 6k mark, and just like last year, I shared a shout with a guy I haven't seen in a long time - an old work collegue - "you think you'd have given it up by now" he shouted - that was exactly how I felt :o

As we turned around, the wind was slightly in our faces and the road was undulating - this is why I wanted to do a 10k - to see how my fitness was at this stage. Was the marathon training out of the legs?? I think not.

Mile 4 was a very disappointing 6:12

I was pushing hard at this stage as we entered Carton Estate - the road was lovely and it looked uphill but felt downhill as my pace picked up.
    I knew from the shouts that the people behind me were a good 10 seconds or so back so it was a matter of trying to keep pace. There was no chance of catching the lad ahead of me - he was also on his own, but was a good 30 secs ahead.

Mile 5: 6:01

"Just a mile to go - 6 more mins" I told myself - by jebus, this was tough. I was hoping that the people behind would catch up and give me a race, but no.
    Kept on ploughing ahead and was delighted to move from the Estate to Carton Avenue with 800m to go.
    At this stage I seen the guy who had been leading - he was now walking, so I guessed a top 10 was possible.

At this stage, the legs were gone, I reckon if I was racing that I would've had nothing left anyway. I tried to push for the final bit, but there was nothing in the engine.
    Mile 6: 6:12

The last couple of hundred meters felt like I was strolling home (6:20 pace).

Delighted to finally finish - 38:22 - I had hoped, even expected, to go under 38. So was very disappointed with the time.
    Happy to finish 9th though - and a 26 second PB.

Davemcmahon just missed his goal by a few seconds but Tang1 ran a great race and came well under his sub 50 with minutes to spare. Nice running!
    Warm down with dave back to the school for some coffee and cake.

The race achieved its objective in that I ran a decent 10k - got the distance in the legs and will approach Dunboyne 5m with a view to getting sub 30 - but now in the knowledge that I'll have to work for it.

I've a slight nagging in my mind that I didn't recover enough from the Marathon - the level of fatigue in the legs today was unreal and am knackered right now - moreso than any other race I've done???

next 10k will be Dunshauglin on June 21 - I'll be hoping for sub 38 for sure and will hopefully be a bit better prepared for it.

Overall a very well organised race, cant fault any aspect of the organisation. But I'll not be doing it again, mainly due to the depth of the field.
    Will definitely do Terenure next year.

6.29miles in 38:22 (9th place and 26 second PB)

Well done on the PB :D

Pity the race was a bit of a non event as regards having people to race with. Makes it so much more difficult :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Still a great time A. It's another good workout if nothing else for you and a pb!

It's difficult too when you find yourself in no man's land like that. Well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,625 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

AMK,

Congrats on the PB, you probably still have Manchester in the legs, I'm still wrecked after Limerick and can't even hit 7.30 pace. You'll smash 38 in the coming weeks.

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Congrats A. A PB is a PB :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭SamforMayo

Well done on your Pb, and a great time too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Nice pb. Out of curiosity, how many rest days have you had since Manchester?

Nail on head, Vinnie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Nice to meet you again today, well done on the PB and top ten even though its not what you set out to achieve. A PB is a PB not matter how you look at it. I thing your right regarding the quality of field in the race. If it was more competitive you would have had other people to work with which would have made it easier to get the time you wanted. Running the race as you did on your own is tough going. Did you get a prize for age group?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭dublin runner

Solid running, well done. Your race report is eerily similar to my last 10k. Without doubt the marathon is still in the legs. Reading your report and splits there are only positives to take from today, no negatives. 35:xx is on the cards this year.

Solid running, well done. Your race report is eerily similar to my last 10k. Without doubt the marathon is still in the legs. Reading your report and splits there are only positives to take from today, no negatives. 35:xx is on the cards this year.

• Advertisement

Advertisement