Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The main thing is keeping the main thing, the main thing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭KielyUnusual

blockic wrote: »
    Here you can't be having it all your own way! Taking our holidays off as well as your own! ;)

One draw with Waterford and you've disowned them already. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

One draw with Waterford and you've disowned them already. ;)

would you blame him ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Easy now fellas

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Best of luck tomorrow, no doubt you'll go sub 30.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Best of luck in Dunboyne AMK.
    Expecting a 29:xx ;-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

yaboya1 wrote: »
    Best of luck in Dunboyne AMK.
    Expecting a 29:xx ;-)

I'll be hoping to beat 29:58 ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭drquirky

Best of luck AMK but less of that crazy RK " I stopped my watch at 30:06" bollocks.

Gun for the PB and the rest will fall into place

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

I'll be hoping to beat 29:58 ;)

Love it :-D

drquirky wrote: »
    Best of luck AMK but less of that crazy RK " I stopped my watch at 30:06" bollocks.

Gun for the PB and the rest will fall into place

interesting that 'bollocks' must be allowed as it didn't get the ****** treatment :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

Good luck tomorrow AMK - might see you there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,195 ✭✭✭PaulieC

interesting that 'bollocks' must be allowed as it didn't get the ****** treatment :)

it doesn't allow bollix though. Good luck tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭thewolf_ie

Best of luck.

It's only 5 miles @ 5.55, you'll be grand. I'll save the good luck for when you might actually need it.

Gavlor wrote: »
    It's only 5 miles @ 5.55, you'll be grand. I'll save the good luck for when you might actually need it.

Jaysus, don't ruin my buzz. I've my report already done, with the super human efforts, the running on my own, the baking heat..........

At least let me make it appear difficult. :)

Jaysus, don't ruin my buzz. I've my report already done, with the super human efforts, the running on my own, the baking heat..........

At least let me make it appear difficult. :)

Sub 30 IS difficult but It should be a foregone conclusion relative to your ability and commitment. The only way you'll fail is if ur head f&cks things up for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭barryoneill50

No bother to ya, give her socks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

Gavlor wrote: »
    Easy now fellas

Nothing to do with the draw. Your lot fcuked that up by the way. I just feckin' hate Cork and had the pleasure of spending all of last week down there on, and I use the word very loosely, "holidays"

TRR wrote: »
    Nothing to do with the draw. Your lot fcuked that up by the way. I just feckin' hate Cork and had the pleasure of spending all of last week down there on, and I use the word very loosely, "holidays"

They Literally ran out of players, should be better set for the replay with 3 senior players back.

Hellidays is the term you were looking for ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,625 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Enjoy the race tomorrow AMK, sub 30 no bother

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭MisterDrak

AMK,

Lovely day for running around the closed roads of County Meath :p:p:p

Good luck on the sub 30 this evening...

Might see you after for a cuppa !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

Good luck this eve....Enjoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Best of luck AMK

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

How did it go ?

Edit. Just saw results online. Hoping that gun time was a fraction off reality.

Dunboyne 5 Mile - The Trip Home Report

We left Tom Joad to go on his merry way to the tight county as myself, Statss and Cianc headed for my taxi car.

Take 3 Dubs and place them in Meath and you get the following conversation.

"Whats the fastest way to go?"
    " Maybe the M3?"
    "What about going through the village?"
    "Nah, get on to the M50 - only 15 mins away."
    "Here, lets use google maps"

Google Maps led us out of Dunboyne before we hit the sign for the M3 - "will we go through Lucan or take the M3?" I ask.
    "Take the M3" says Statss again - "its faster, only 15 mins away"

Conversations move from Argentina winning the WC to the political unrest at the Broombridge Train Station.

So, on were going on the M3 and Statss drops the Bombshell - "this is the road that brings us to Hueston Station isn't it." - Typical bloody Dub.

We detour off the M3 into the PP - Statss starts again dictating directions - "its only 15 mins if we take the Chapelizoid gate"

So we end up going by the 15 Acres while Statss was singing the virtues of his new boyfriend, Andrew.

Statss was then asking us to go to some unsavoury parts of the park, as dusk was falling - he was mentioning a special kind of wildlife and the fact that it was mating season.
    I dont really know what 'open windows' have to do with all this, but we sped on.
    Only to notice that the bollards were up on the S Bends, so we have to take a U turn.
    Statss was beginning to sweat at this stage "I'm going to miss the 10pm feed aren't I" - he was really worried. Sweat was falling from his forehead, but the hair still looked good.

Then like a spoiled child, he throws a major tantrum and makes me turn down a 1 way street onto the Conynham road.
    Cian was sitting quietly in the car, playing with his phone, I could swear he had 999 on the keypad and his finger was hovering over the dial button.

"Its only 15 mins from here" says Statss.

As we approach some unsavoury parts, Statss brings us on a guided tour of where certain gang members had been shot - he sits in the car and recalls these stories with a smile as he points proudly to various locations of previous killings.
    Cian is beginning to rock back and forward, his finger getting closer to the dial button - we try to engage him in the conversation, but his eyes are blood shot - I think he had left his body.

We eventually get to Statss homeland - before he gets out of the car, I notice him bending down to get a look in my mirror, licks his fingers and polishes his meticulous quiff. A quick burst of mouth spray and he departs, in the certainty that he's missed the 10pm night feed due to his numerous 15 minute travels...............

I spend the next 15 mins :) getting home, eventually coaxing cianc back to reality - I think the last hour or so were a blur to him.
    *The above may or may not be true. Certain events may have been exaggerated for comedic effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Tell me you started 4 seconds behind the gun !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

Hahaha that was so funny. Brilliant read to start the day :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭MisterDrak

AMK, Statss, Cianc, Tom Joad,

Good to put some names to faces last night...

Would have stayed longer but "her in doors" mentioned she wanted to go home, but then promptly stayed chatting to a few from the club for another 1/2 hour after you left :confused::confused:

Anyway hopefully see you again at the Dunsaughlin or Finghal10K, and I should be back on pace by then...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

Good running AMK. You might want to have a word with TBL about the best ways to travel. He seems to be able to get from Casablanca to New York faster than you can get from Dunboyne to Heuston:D

BHAA Dunboyne 5M Road Race

This was always a goal race for me and I wanted to go under 30 mins - I felt it was within my capabilities, but the recent 10k was beginning to put a doubt in my mind.

I got to Dunboyne in plenty of time and registration only took 2-3 mins - very efficient, but it was early.
    Met up with Cian, Statss and TJ and got a warm up in - about 2 miles with some strides.

The start line was mental, I could swear that I was only about 2-3 meters away from the start line, but once we set off, it seemed like the entire race was ahead of me!

1st mile was cool, once I got passed the tight bend, I spent the next mile overtaking so many people. Legs felt good and pace felt fine.
    Mile 1 in 5:53 - bang on.

Kept the pace going and at this stage had to make a decision aboput staying with the group I was in or making the jump to the next group - I didn't want them getting too far ahead, so I made the move to catch them.
    I was monitoring the watch and pace was showing to be 5:58 at one stage - we turned a corner and the pace shifted to 5:38 pace on the watch - trees interfering?? - The pace was maintained and I knew that I would pay for it later, but still felt someway comfortable.
    Mile 2 in 5:43 and over 20 seconds banked.

At this stage I was still passing people, pace had come back up to 5:58's so still felt ok - but felt like I was working for it.
    Mile 3 in 5:58 - still ahead of schedule - plenty of time banked.

At about the 3.5m mark I started to get very light headed - the thoughts of stopping entered my head, but I knew I had only 10 mins left, so kept on going.
    At this stage, I was keeping with the group and didn't want to push the pace, given how I was feeling.
    I noticed my breathing was very short and shard - maybe this was causing the dizzyness?

Pace was dropping as the fatigue was setting in - I couldn't feel the lactate burn, just pure fatigue as if the energy was being zapped from me.
    I approached mile 4 mark with a sense of fear that I might not finish the damn thing.
    Mile 4 in 6:06

1 more mile left - the legs were drained, the head was spinning - my God - can I not just have a normal race I was asking myself. Maybe this is how it feels as you get faster I was telling myself?
    I came to the 1/2m to go sign and verred to the side of the road, ready to stop, but didn't - only 2 laps of the track I was telling myself - only the length of the OS road to go. Keep it going. I had thought that sub 30 was well and truly gone at this stage.

As I passed where my car was passed, I thought briefly about getting in and driving off :)

Onto the track and I could remember last year having the energy to sprint to the finish - there would be no sprint today.
    I could hear the announcer call out times of people as they finished.
    29:20 / 29:32 / 29:40 as I was coming around the never ending bend onto the final straight. My God - the time was closer than I imagined.

I tried to push, but the body was saying 'No', crossing the line with 30:00 on the Garmin and the clock just clocked past 30:01.
    I collapsed onto the grass for a few mins - knowing that I could not have ran 1 second faster - so was content with the time.

Mile 5: 6:16 - Death march

Official time was given as 30:03 - no sub 30, but still a good PB of 27 seconds.

This race felt tougher than the recent 10k - Not too sure what happened to me after 3.5 miles - maybe the 2nd mile done me, maybe the heat, maybe the marathon still in the body, maybe too soon after the 10k - maybe all these.

Not going to dwell on it - I'm happy with the time as I gave it everything I had.

Time to knuckle down and get some decent training in with some decent mileage. No races for a while.

Bit of a warm down with Cian/Statss/TJ before scoffing a multitude of cakes back at the club house - good to meet MisterDrak there.
    Great set up there and a great race. Will be back next year.

• Advertisement

Tell me you started 4 seconds behind the gun !

2 at most - but theres no start mat at these!! Happy enough though.

Advertisement