Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The main thing is keeping the main thing, the main thing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

I like the benefits I've got from following TRR's plan over DCM - I've kept that methodology going for the last few weeks to get a bit of a base after the injury.
    I think where my head is at right now, is to maintain a cycle of running that I'll do most of the year - mainly aerobic training - semi high mileage - the odd tempo/session built in for variation - and as I get near to races, I'll adjust the training to suit the race in the preceding few weeks - making sure I tackle races of varying length so the different adaptations occur.

The thing I'll be doing differently from DCM (before TRR came on board) is keeping it simple.
    I'm also a lot more determined this year - I've committed fully to the target - I hadn't for DCM.

So - no off the shelf plan for me - I'll keep going with my own plan for the foreseeable future and if I'm progressing, then grand.
    If not, I'll go crying to TRR :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭statss

I like the benefits I've got from following TRR's plan over DCM - I've kept that methodology going for the last few weeks to get a bit of a base after the injury.
    I think where my head is at right now, is to maintain a cycle of running that I'll do most of the year - mainly aerobic training - semi high mileage - the odd tempo/session built in for variation - and as I get near to races, I'll adjust the training to suit the race in the preceding few weeks - making sure I tackle races of varying length so the different adaptations occur.

The thing I'll be doing differently from DCM (before TRR came on board) is keeping it simple.
    I'm also a lot more determined this year - I've committed fully to the target - I hadn't for DCM.

So - no off the shelf plan for me - I'll keep going with my own plan for the foreseeable future and if I'm progressing, then grand.
    If not, I'll go crying to TRR :p

great, just think of the extra time you'll have for training now you wont be spending an eternity putting a fancy spreadsheet together :pac:

Wednesday 27th: 5.09m @ 8:25 pace - HR 127.
    Recovery run in PP - ran by HR and wanted to keep it below 130.

Listened to a podcast about Pre - it included some footage from his races - never knew he was only 24 when he died.

Thursday 28th: 6.81m easy (Inc 7 Hill '100% effort' Sprints)
    Brought the dog down to the PP for this one - big mistake as she was in a walking mood after a couple of miles - I think I've broken her.

Ran the hill sprints on the hill on the left as you're going down the Khyber. Poor dog didn't know what to do.
    Took full recoveries (and more.) Sprints lasted only 12-14 seconds. (Read about this workout from Canova on Lets Run)

I will be aiming to do different hill workouts over the next few weeks - maybe 3-4 sessions in 6-8 weeks. I might also alternate the short hill bursts with strides every now & then.

Edit:
    HR was only 132 for todays workout - a combination of long recoveries and waiting for the damn dog.:)

Friday 29th Nov - had to contend with a crowd of 11 year olds at my younger daughters b'day party - a pampering session no less (for them).

Sat 30th Nov: 14.1m Long run @ 7:47 pace (HR 144)

I wanted 2 things from this run.
    (1) I wanted the 2nd 7 miles faster than the 1st 7.
    (2) I wanted a fast finish in the last 2 miles with a progressive speed up & finish at 10 mile pace.

(1) 1st 7 @ 7:56 pace HR 143 / 2nd 7 @ 7:40 pace HR 145 (inc. a pit stop - so ave pace was lower)

(2) The last 6 half mile segments were as follows:
    * 7:52 (~ ave pace)
    * 7:19
    * 6:55
    * 6:43
    * 6:20
    * 6:19

2-3 fast miles at the end of a run may not seem significant, but mentally its a breakthrough for me as I found this difficult during DCM training.
    Once I found the pace - it actually felt OK after a half mile of so.

Got this work out here (& also somewhat inspired by Meno doing a Park run following a long run);
    http://running.competitor.com/2013/06/training/workout-of-the-week-long-runs-with-stuff_50355

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

Nice one. Bet you felt good after that :D What's the plan for the JB race?

• Advertisement

Nice one. Bet you felt good after that :D What's the plan for the JB race?

Thanks!
    JB; we'll see on the day. I've a work night out on the Thursday, so not ideal prep.
    Aim is for 3 sub 6 miles and get close to beating my 18:30 PB

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Got this work out here (& also somewhat inspired by Meno doing a Park run following a long run);
    http://running.competitor.com/2013/06/training/workout-of-the-week-long-runs-with-stuff_50355

Wow, can't believe I am inspiring people ;); Deffo going to do the long run + park run again but of course now I am worried if I could go any faster without the 10-15 miles in the legs already :p That's runner though; never happy always more doubts :rolleyes:

Sun 1st Dec: 4m Recovery - forgot the Garmin, so ran (slowly) for 35 mins in Sandymount - 4 miles, give or take.

November Highlights:
    * Running!
    * Winter training in the PP - I just love it.
    * Park Run under 19 mins.
    * 172 miles - 3rd highest mileage month ever (& possibly the most enjoyable)

December Focus:
    * 180 miles for December
    * Specific sessions for 5m & 10m races in Jan.
    * 3 sub 6 miles in a 5k (may or may not be JB) - this is specific focus for a sub 30 5m attempt.
    * Long run upto 17 miles.
    * Boards Christmas night out!!

Monday 2nd Dec: 8m (inc 5x1k + 4x200)

Done this in Porterstown Park with the dog - a 1m looped path around some pitches & grass track.

WU 1.5m

5x1k

Rep Time Pace
    1 3:45 6:04
    2 3:40 5:55
    3 3:40 5:56
    4 3:37 5:52
    5 3:26 5:34

Felt very strong throughout - the recoveries are prescribed at 600m.
    The workout is meant to be at 5k + 10s - but I felt very strong today so just went with it.

The last rep, I let loose a bit - still controlled though - surprised myself.

Made my way to the grass track after a 5min recovery for the 4x200 (90 secs R)

Rep1 33secs
    Rep2 32
    Rep3 32
    Rep4 31

Ran these at a good pace - but focused very much on my form and made sure I powered the arms and ran tall.
    Following this workout, I could really feel it in the arms and the upper body.

CoolDown - only had time for a 0.5m cooldown due to a meeting that I had to dial into.

Really enjoyed this workout - followed up later with 30mins Stretching & Core.

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Cleanman

Monday 2nd Dec: 8m (inc 5x1k + 4x200)

Done this in Porterstown Park with the dog - a 1m looped path around some pitches & grass track.

WU 1.5m

5x1k

Rep Time Pace

The workout is meant to be at 5k + 10s - but I felt very strong today so just went with it.

Made my way to the grass track after a 5min recovery for the 4x200 (90 secs R)

Rep1 33secs
    Rep2 32
    Rep3 32
    Rep4 31

Ran these at a good pace - but focused very much on my form and made sure I powered the arms and ran tall.
    Following this workout, I could really feel it in the arms and the upper body.

CoolDown - only had time for a 0.5m cooldown due to a meeting that I had to dial into.

Really enjoyed this workout - followed up later with 30mins Stretching & Core.

That's a savage session - taking a leaf out of KC's book and doing a crazy session at lunch!:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,625 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Cleanman wrote: »
    That's a savage session - taking a leaf out of KC's book and doing a crazy session at lunch!:eek:

That's a very impressive session.

I'd love to be able to do that kind of speed work this far out from goal race.

Keep that up and you'll have no problem hitting your target.

TbL

I'm impressed I'm even in the same sentence as the great man.
    That's a very impressive session.

I'd love to be able to do that kind of speed work this far out from goal race.

Keep that up and you'll have no problem hitting your target.

TbL

I think the longer recoveries make it easier, be interesting to see how the progression goes.
    I need to be careful about peaking too early, but these sessions are specifically for the 2 races in Jan.
    Once they are out of the way, the training becomes Marathon specific, with little speedwork and more tempo/HM efforts.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Good session, getting back into shape.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭outforarun

WU 1.5m

5x1k

Rep Time Pace

Wow. Intervals 4 and 5 your fastest. Blistering pace on that last controlled interval. Impressive.

Tuesday: 6.5m recovery. Kept HR at 127, worked out at 8:30 pace.

mix up with wifey on Wednesday ruled out a planned 10 miler.
    Christmas party on Thursday and mad work day today means no running since Tuesday.

Should be fresh for JB, no excuses bar a rotten hangover that's gradually subsiding.
    Looking fwd to seeing familiar faces and new faces in the Palace (fit for a King?).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

Good luck with race tomorrow- potential PB territory??

Tom Joad wrote: »
    Good luck with race tomorrow- potential PB territory??

Cheers J
    Yep, hopefully, the goal is 3 sub 6 miles, so that should get me close!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,625 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Good luck tomorrow, I'd put money on you PBing.

Who'll be racing Auldmanking or Runningking :)

TbL

Good luck tomorrow, I'd put money on you PBing.

Who'll be racing Auldmanking or Runningking :)

TbL

He'll be rolling back the years tomorrow in his "home ground". The Runningking is back....long live the Runningking:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,193 ✭✭✭PaulieC

Nice time man, well done!

• Advertisement

PaulieC wrote: »

Imagine if he hadn't drank on Thursday night!

Nice to finally meet you earlier. See you later for a few pb pints!

PaulieC wrote: »
    Imagine if he hadn't drank on Thursday night!

Nice to finally meet you earlier. See you later for a few pb pints!

Cheers guys - few of us reckon the chip timing was out by 10 secs or so - my Garmin measured 18:11 (vrs 18:21) - same for Raycun and CM.
    I'm claiming the 18:11 :cool:

Cleanman - good to meet you - we went looking for you later but you'd disappeared. See you later!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Good running today. Next time I'll know who I'm passing in the final straight ;-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭drquirky

Nice PB RK/AMK see you later!

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭davemcmahon

Cheers guys - few of us reckon the chip timing was out by 10 secs or so - my Garmin measured 18:11 (vrs 18:21) - same for Raycun and CM.
    I'm claiming the 18:11 :cool:

Cleanman - good to meet you - we went looking for you later but you'd disappeared. See you later!
    Same here. My chip time says 19.05 but I crossed the finish mat before the 19 minute mark. (Only just)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭drquirky

Same here. My chip time says 19.05 but I crossed the finish mat before the 19 minute mark. (Only just)

Looks like I wasn't such a dope forgetting my chip after all! :D:D:D

Sat 7th Dec: Jingle Bells 5k

18:11 Garmin time - 5:49 ave pace/HR 174 (5:55/5:54/5:39+5:30)

The aim for today was 3x sub 6 min miles - if that brought me a PB then great - if not, then not so bad.

Done a decent warmup - overall was 3miles (got there a bit too early and ran more to keep warm!)

Its great at a race when you meet so many people who you know, so many faces today from Boards - made the experience even greater.

Off went the gun and within 1 min, a younger lad ended up on his back - the lad was wearing earphones and got an earful from everyone around - compassionate lot :P .

The 1st mile felt good - legs felt fresh - at one stage the group ahead started to pull away a bit - rather than get comfortable, I aimed to keep up with the group ahead. Good decision - in the past I'd have kept comfortable. Shout out from Blocky at the monument - tks!

Mile 1 was 5:55 - I had hoped for a faster 1st mile, but that was ok - I'd bank it.
    I was glad to get off Chesterfield ave, turned onto Ordnance Survey Road and I didn't know if the headwind was worse or better there?? Only a slight headwind mind you.
    I was working through the crowds here - picking off people - no one had passed me at that stage, so was happy with that.
    I kept behind a Crusaders lady who was wearing the shortest tightest shorts in the history of tight shorts. So I settled in behind her for a bit ;) - I just kept thinking about Crusaders ladies and their nice buns......ahem....

Mile 2 was 5:54 - happy with the effort, turning down the Upper Glen Road, I knew the downhill was near.

Still passing people and not being passed - I overtook the Cru lady and kept pushing on - pace had increased as the hill came on. I was feeling the pain a bit at this stage and really don't think I could have given it more.
    Towards the end of mile 3 a couple of people passed me - the Cru lady caught me again and another couple.

Mile 3 was 5:39 (fastest ever mile in a race) - I was very thankful for the downhill!!

As approached the last bit - Raycun came flying past, I wanted to sprint, but the legs were jelly.
    Last 0.13 was at 5:30 pace.

Finished with 18:11 showing on the clock, 18:11 showing on my Garmin but 18:21 on the text message :confused:

Delighted that I kept 3 miles under 6mins - 1st time ever in a 5k.
    Delighted with a 20 sec PB off very little speed work (bar the last 2-3 weeks).
    I do wonder if the fact that my 3 miles were consecutively faster, if I left something out there in the 1st mile??

Done a bit of a warm down with RFR & PConn (I think they were holding hands) then an additional warm down with Quirky & Meno.

Nice spread in Donore Harriers - great workout and nice to meet so many Boardsies after the race - some for the 1st time.
    Great performances all around - CM being the stand out performance for smashing sub 20 (or was it MS for beating MrStew :P / or Pconn for beating RFR ;) )

2 mile jog back to the car (my 3rd warm down??) for a total of 11 miles for the day.

Now for pints tonight! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭dazza21ie

AMK that's very impressive, for an old boy thats some typing speed to get your report done so quickly. .... not bad at the running either, sub 18 in 2014 no doubt

dazza21ie wrote: »
    AMK that's very impressive, for an old boy thats some typing speed to get your report done so quickly. .... not bad at the running either, sub 18 in 2014 no doubt

Langer :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Nicely paced!

Enjoy the scoops :)

Advertisement