Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The main thing is keeping the main thing, the main thing

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

Great report as always AMK and nice running too. Good to meet you again last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Great running and nice PB AMK.
    Looks like I barely held onto the 5m honours by the skin of my teeth :p
    You still have me on the 10k and the marathon though :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Unlucky on not achieving your goal, still savage running. Giving the races a rest for a while might be good idea, give the legs & body time to recover properly post Manchester. You have run an all out marathon, 10k(ish) and 5mile in past 6 weeks, your body has to feel the affects of that no matter who you are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Bahanaman

Savage going AMK! Especially following such a hectic recent schedule. Would love to get near that sort of time. I'm still following the baa plan for Waterford next Saturday 4 weeks. Heavy going!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Gavlor

What kind of a douche misses his target by 3 seconds?? Oh the shame

:D

Unlucky, remind me again about how much time off you took after the marathon???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭outforarun

That sounded tough. Must have been like you say, a combination of recent race efforts and the warm evening. Had you eaten well/enough during the day? Great time. And 30:03 has a better symmetry about it than 29:59.

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭thewolf_ie

Next time!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,625 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Great race AMK, well done, nice report too

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Duanington

Well done AMK - really enjoyed that report. I sometimes feel we forget just how cr*p our weather usually is...we're used to running with frostbite, not with a beaming sun on our faces

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭Beef

You love being "seconds out" in races. I hope you never contemplated a career in the bomb squad...
    :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭statss

So when are you changing your username to "NearlymanKing" ??

• Registered Users Posts: 6,195 ✭✭✭PaulieC

statss wrote: »

oooh burn

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Cleanman

statss wrote: »

Ouch!! Did you miss out on the 10pm feed too?

Nice running AMK. The times will come down. 29:63 ain't to be sniffed at;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Just done some analysis on my 5m time - The 1st 5k of the race was a 5k PB by 1 second. Guess I blew up!!

Note to self on better pacing.

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭cianc

Just done some analysis on my 5m time - The 1st 5k of the race was a 5k PB by 1 second. Guess I blew up!!

Note to self on better pacing.

I was just going to write something similar. Even just looking at the mile splits (and knowing what an obstacle course the first mile was), it really does look like a blow up. What was I saying about the number of experienced looking runners fading at the end of races? :D

Two PBs in one race, you must be gutted alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Just catching up on things here. Good running last night especially since the bod was probably not 100%. I like that race myself so was raging I couldn't do it this year.

Would you believe I've only just noticed the Trip Home report?! :D:D:D I was wondering how Cleanman knew I wanted to be home for the 10pm feed....:confused::D (Got it done :cool:)

Damn - I would have been much more scathing of you had I read your report in advance of posting mine. :(

Quality stuff. :pac: Please, boardsies, don't let this highly biased version of events discourage you from offering me a lift home from future races.

oh and all joking aside, don't forget my thoughts on your approach to marathon planning next time round!

Wednesday: 6:53 miles @ 8:12 pace - legs felt ok after the race on tuesday. Down to the park, around by the cricket grounds and back up the Khyber.

Thursday: Resisted the call to play soccer and had a rest day - final days training with the GAA team so my Thursday nights will now be free!
    Core work out - circuit of 3x(30 sec plank, 25 push ups, 20 calf raises, 20 supermen) (been doing this a bit - just forgetting to log it.

Friday: 6:36m @ 8:38 pace. Brought the dog to the PP - this is the time of year where there are 'dog exclusion zones' so going to be difficult to do the trails for the next 2 months with her.
    Found some stretching / yoga videos on youtube - been doing these regularly too. Pretty good stuff.

Might even join the local gym and do a weekly Pilates class.

Saturday 9.21m inc 1500/750/1500/750/1500 off 2.5mins recovery.

Tough session this - Jogged down to the PP, so had 2 miles done before meeting up with the gang - another 2 mile warm up and we were ready for the session.

There's a nice trail to the left of Farmleigh - about half way down - goes around a load of bushes - the coach has it measured out at 750 meters, but its narrow and 'lumpy' - so you got to watch where your running - coach reckons its also good for ankles and lower leg strength.

1500: 5:23 mins (5:48 pace) - felt controlled

750: 2:35 (5:33 pace) - got it done. Tiring - but feeling ok.

1500: 5:22 mins - Felt ok on 1st lap - on 2nd lap the going was tough - the sun was beaming at this stage.

750: 2:36 mins - for some of the lads, this was their last rep - I was doing the mile after it - but when I was finished this 750, was tempted to stop.

1500: 5:28 mins - I led out as the 2 faster lads had finished - 1st lap felt ok, 2nd lap I slowed - much different when you've noone to chase :) - a bit slower, but happy to get it done and not bottle it.

Very difficult running these over such narrow trails, but seems easier than running 4 laps of the track :)

2:22m warm down home for 9:21 miles for the day - home by 10am.

Might try to do 14 on Sunday - see how the body feels.

That sounds like some session.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭barryoneill50

good session

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭Beef

That's a cracker of a session. Is Dublin going to be the new main thing?

Beef wrote: »
    That's a cracker of a session. Is Dublin going to be the new main thing?

It should be the main thing - but somehow I haven't quite committed to it yet in the same way I had with Manchester.

Time enough for that I suppose.

Sunday 1st June: 12m at 7:45pace.

About 6 of us out today for this run, time flew in and the banter was great. Really like these runs.
    Done 9 with the group then got home and brought the dog for 3 more.

Felt very weak at 12 miles so called it a day - nothing more to be gained.
    Slight niggle on the knee - icing away.

May Results & June Focus

May:
    10k PB in Maynooth
    5m PB in Dunboyne
    Both significant PB's, but fell just short of the times I wanted.

164 miles for May inc 5 speed sessions.
    Longest run 14 miles.

June Focus
    Get a good solid months training in.
    6 speed sessions.
    Get long run upto 18 miles
    1 race - more than likely the Irish Runner 5m

Monday 2nd June.

Joined a Gym! Done a nice workout focusing mainly on the legs and & upper body (just for the holidays :) )
    Will get a proper program done up this week that will integrate my running into it.

Tuesday 3rd: - was going to do 11 miles, but got a bit sensible as the legs were feeling the effects of Mondays gym work and I had Wednesdays speed session in mind, so just done 1 loop of the PP.
    7.64 @ 7.54

Wednesday 4th: Session was 4x(800/400) with 2mins/90s recovery.
    WU: 1.9 miles @ 8:30

Rep 1: 2:46 / 1:14
    Rep 2: 2:44 / 1:13
    Rep 3: 2:41 / 1:13
    Rep 4: 2:37 / 1:09

CD: 1.64 @ 8:40

Happy with this session - 1st 800 a tad slow but delighted that each rep got faster and really nailed the last 800 & 400.
    Enjoying these sessions - the comfort of running that fast in a group is great - it really doesn't seem that fast while your doing it.

No niggle from the knee, but just iced it for good measure.

Body is feeling great this week - really feels 'normal' for the 1st time since the Manchester.
    Cant believe I've ran 2 races and a park run in the 8 weeks since the Marathon :o

Will more than likely just focus on the DCM Race Series from here on in and do the Castleknock 5k in July as a friend is organising it and its been done in memory of another friends brother who died recently.
    Also doing the Athlone 3/4. Entered and all ;)

Out of the race series - the Fingal 10k will probably be a goal race - the rest are just progressions onto the 'Main thing' in October.

What's the goal for the main thing ?

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭cianc

Nice session, glad to hear the body's feeling good.
    You've reminded to make some proper race plans for the rest of the year, thanks for that.

PaulieC wrote: »
    What's the goal for the main thing ?

The goal is under 3. Thats the main thing.

But I'll be training for 2:55 and secretly hoping to hit it, but I'm not telling anybody - so keep a lid on it. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Also doing the Athlone 3/4. Entered and all ;)

I'll have the "GO AMK" banner hung out for you along the route!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

tang1 wrote: »
    I'll have the "GO AMK" banner hung out for you along the route!!!

Should read "go AMK, don't fcuk it up" ;)

Advertisement