Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The main thing is keeping the main thing, the main thing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Cleanman

Nice session. 69 for your last 400...wtf;);)

Bloody showoffs!

Sorry to hear you going back to the marathon. With that kind of speed, you could do serious damage to the shorter pbs!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭statss

The goal is under 3. Thats the main thing.

But I'll be training for 2:55 and secretly hoping to hit it, but I'm not telling anybody - so keep a lid on it. :P

I look forward to reading your 2:56 report :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

TRR wrote: »
    Should read "go AMK, don't fcuk it up" ;)
    lol ever since you first said that to Runningking back in the day, I use it regularly to motivate myself in races and sessions and imagine a narky old bastar'd shouting it at me and say it over and over in my head:D
    I especially remember using it in the 5mile race series last year and it got me up Military HIll at a great pace!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Cleanman wrote: »
    Nice session. 69 for your last 400...wtf;);)

Bloody showoffs!

Sorry to hear you going back to the marathon. With that kind of speed, you could do serious damage to the shorter pbs!

+1

You're wasted running 2.55 marathons if you can blast out 69 400's and 30 second 200's. In my humble opinion you are geared more towards 3-10k, but each to their own and do the event you enjoy! If you came to our club though the coaches would have you straight in the middle distance group!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

Ososlo wrote: »
    lol ever since you first said that to Runningking back in the day, I use it regularly to motivate myself in races and sessions and imagine a narky old bastar'd shouting it at me and say it over and over in my head:D
    I especially remember using it in the 5mile race series last year and it got me up Military HIll at a great pace!

I'm the next Gerry Duffy. Great motivational quotes but at no charge!!!!! I hope you are not referring to me as a narky OLD bastard!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Ososlo wrote: »

I even get texts from him with that same sentence before races..........at the end of the Dunboyne race I said to myself......"I fcuked it up, didn't I?"

Thursday: 6.27 miles @ 8:46 pace.
    Bit of a stop/start run this - had the dog with me and she wasn't feeling the love for running today. Frustrating, but it served as a nice recovery.

Friday: Busy day in work - only time for 4 slow miles in PP - 9:05 pace. (had the dog again)

Saturday: The plan was for some hill work in the PP, so I ran the 2 miles down to Whites gate and no one was there.........checked the phone and I had a text to say the venue & workout was changed to Porterstown - luckily a guy just pulled up in his car just in case people didn't get the text, so got a lift up.

Coach wasn't around today, but had left instructions for more 800's but with full recoveries (3 mins) - we agreed on a set of 5.

Done another 2.3m warm up :rolleyes: and some strides.

Reps were 2:45 / 2:46 / 2:45 / 2:49 / 2:47

Was really struggling on the 1st 4th rep and contemplated not doing the last one but got it done in the end with some pacing behind one of our more experienced runners - she was telling me to relax, take it slower, slow down etc - last lap actually felt really good but had nothing left for a fast finish.

Another set of strides & 2m warm down and a shorter run home left it at 9:92 miles for the day.

Going to discuss a more specific training plan as I feel mile reps & tempo runs may suit me better for the DCM race series - maybe alternating with the speedwork.
    May mean doing them outside the group - but thats ok, I'm used to that!

Also had a chat with one of the better runners in the club, he was nearly talking me out of doing DCM and keeping the focus on the "shorter stuff" (anything up to HalfM) until next year - "Building my capabilities as a runner" was how he put it.

Anyone got a pair of flip flops??

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭thewolf_ie

Great session. Maybe focus on the shorter stuff and don't waste your speed while you still got it. I'm on that path myself.

Sunday 8th June: 14.3m @ 7:47.

The MSB gang usually do 10 miles on a Sunday, so decided to run down and back from the PP to add on an additional 4 miles.
    Legs felt great throughout the session - a bit heavy on the last mile, but thats ok, given the 10 yesterday.

50 'good' miles for the week - not too shabby.

Had a great conversation with a 'guest runner' today - she came 2nd in Bohermeen 5k on Saturday night - she was 12-13 stone and a non runner about 6 years ago. She started walking in the PP and then eventually done "some running from tree to tree" - she signed up for her 1st 10k and eventually did it in 49 mins. She's made great strides in the last few years - A real inspiration methinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭KielyUnusual

Well I think you are inspiring AMK.....

....the amount of time I tell people about this guy that turned up in a Nun's costume in the middle of a monsoon, ran 4 laps of a track and drank 4 5% beers in under 8 minutes and no one ever believes me. With the amount of alcohol I drank that evening, sometimes I don't believe myself. The 'technical error' in the grainy footage of the only recording of the event just adds to the legend.

Who was that RunningKing, where did he come from and where did he go?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭wowzer

Sunday 8th June: 14.3m @ 7:47.

The MSB gang usually do 10 miles on a Sunday, so decided to run down and back from the PP to add on an additional 4 miles.
    Legs felt great throughout the session - a bit heavy on the last mile, but thats ok, given the 10 yesterday.

50 'good' miles for the week - not too shabby.

Had a great conversation with a 'guest runner' today - she came 2nd in Bohermeen 5k on Saturday night - she was 12-13 stone and a non runner about 6 years ago. She started walking in the PP and then eventually done "some running from tree to tree" - she signed up for her 1st 10k and eventually did it in 49 mins. She's made great strides in the last few years - A real inspiration methinks.

That guest runner is one of ours so no tempting her to transfer to MSB. I couldn't believe my eyes this morning when I saw her running with your lot ;-)

wowzer wrote: »
    That guest runner is one of ours so no tempting her to transfer to MSB. I couldn't believe my eyes this morning when I saw her running with your lot ;-)

ha ha - its a very small world isn't it! Lovely woman.
    Should have said hello.....again!

Monday 9th: No running - went to the Gym for an hour this morning.

Had a rub down on Monday evening after work - she went to work on my knee - nothing too serious and I can keep on running on it.

Made the decision over the weekend after talking to some folks to not run DCM this year - it'll be my 1st year since I started running to not do a Marathon (or train for one at least).
    I've trained for 4 marathons in 3 years and ran 3 of them.

I'm really looking forward to a sustained period of training for a variety of different paces, doing the race series without Marathon training going on around me, being able to look forward to races in Aug/Sept/Oct without worrying about missing 20m runs & approaching Nov/Dec/Jan without worrying about recovery.

That's the new main thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Good decision, as you have been told before, you have natural speed so best make the most of that before you get measured up for the zimmer frame!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Monday 9th: No running - went to the Gym for an hour this morning.

Had a rub down on Monday evening after work - she went to work on my knee - nothing too serious and I can keep on running on it.

Made the decision over the weekend after talking to some folks to not run DCM this year - it'll be my 1st year since I started training to not do a Marathon (or train for one at least).
    I've trained for 4 marathons in 3 years and ran 3 of them.

I'm really looking forward to a sustained period of training for a variety of different paces, doing the race series without Marathon training going on around me, being able to look forward to races in Aug/Sept/Oct without worrying about missing 20m runs & approaching Nov/Dec/Jan without worrying about recovery.

That's the new main thing.

Was Manchester not this year?!

All the cool kids are giving DCM a miss this year!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Gavlor wrote: »
    Was Manchester not this year?!

All the cool kids are giving DCM a miss this year!

Ha, cool kids, is that just you trying to make yourself feel better for slacking?

I wise and courageous choice AMK, couldn't of been easy having missed out on it last year! Enjoy the speed work!

ha ha - its a very small world isn't it! Lovely woman.
    Should have said hello.....again!

There was 3 of us and we all gave customary nod and wave but only got 2 back in return and one of them was from our own clubmate. Serious looking bunch you MSB'ers.

wowzer wrote: »
    There was 3 of us and we all gave customary nod and wave but only got 2 back in return and one of them was from our own clubmate. Serious looking bunch you MSB'ers.

we consider the PP to be our patch, we dont like those Meath folk coming down and taking our sod......... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭cianc

Very interesting AMK, should be an exciting year with the new direction. Just don't go full track fairy OK? If I see you strutting around the PP in wrap-around shades and a leotard I reserve the right to point and laugh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭drquirky

we consider the PP to be our patch)

Lo mother f'ing l

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭drquirky

Also I recall Meno and I saying you'd be really suited to 800m/ mile. Still stand by that. You've got really good top end speed and think it would translate well

we consider the PP to be our patch, we dont like those Meath folk coming down and taking our sod......... :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2ClSABkDp8

cianc wrote: »

the fact that this came to you almost immediately is, well, mind blowing.

the fact that this came to you almost immediately is, well, mind blowing.

+1 to the above

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Wow, that's a surprise. You must be enjoying that speed work too much! So you'll be doing 100 mile weeks now instead, á la Krusty?:D

Any particular distance in mind to focus on ? Or just a bit of everything from HM downwards?

RedRunner wrote: »
    Wow, that's a surprise. You must be enjoying that speed work too much! So you'll be doing 100 mile weeks now instead, á la Krusty?:D

Any particular distance in mind to focus on ? Or just a bit of everything from HM downwards?

for now its a bit of everything, I've signed up for the DCM race series so that'll take some focus initially.
    Following that, I'll see where it takes me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Sensible approach AMK (would expect nothing less from you these days given your absolute and systematic annihilation of RK). I also agree with the idea of improving your "capabilities as a runner" as your club mate put it.

I would disagree with the use it or lose it comments regarding your speed. The strength side should not be ignored completely either and the two can very much coincide. No one facet of training should ever be ignored but rather the ratio's are what determine the race focus. As such even with blitzing your 200s and 400s don't completely ignore the Tempos, LSRs etc (Just look at Brenda Martinez, an 800m runner busting out 10 mile tempos that would make most marathon runners run scared)

ecoli wrote: »
    Sensible approach AMK (would expect nothing less from you these days given your absolute and systematic annihilation of RK). I also agree with the idea of improving your "capabilities as a runner" as your club mate put it.

I would disagree with the use it or lose it comments regarding your speed. The strength side should not be ignored completely either and the two can very much coincide. No one facet of training should ever be ignored but rather the ratio's are what determine the race focus. As such even with blitzing your 200s and 400s don't completely ignore the Tempos, LSRs etc (Just look at Brenda Martinez, an 800m runner busting out 10 mile tempos that would make most marathon runners run scared)

I had this very same conversation with our mutual friend yesterday!
    Tempo planned this evening.

Tuesday: 6.6m inc 3 mile tempo

Hadn't done a 'proper' tempo in a long long time. My last Marathon training had tempos of MP +/-10 secs, which was 6:40 pace.
    Had look at Daniels and seen my tempo pace was to be 6:15.

Done a warm up mile (8:10) then increased the pace gradually on the 2nd mile (7:10) and launched into the tempo on the 3rd mile.
    The tempo miles were planned to go up Military Road (hill) and then up the Upper Glen Road.

As I was dong the 1st mile, I was thinking about maybe doing a 4th T mile.
    2.5 miles in and I was thinking of stopping! - confirming that I lack speed endurance (evidenced also in my last 3 races)
    Maybe I should have dropped the pace on the hills, but I wanted a hard workout up the hills to prepare for the race series and to build some stamina.

Tempo miles 6:12 / 6:08 / 6:12

1.6 miles warm down.

Will increase the distance next week.

Total 6.6 miles

• Advertisement

Hadn't done a 'proper' tempo in a long long time.
    The tempo miles were planned to go up Military Road (hill) and then up the Upper Glen Road.
    Maybe I should have dropped the pace on the hills

Or you know, not have done your first tempo in a long time on a couple of brutal hills you lunatic you.

Advertisement