Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The main thing is keeping the main thing, the main thing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Wednesday 11th: With the 'developing my capabilities' mindset (I feel a log title change coming on....) I jumped into a beginners Pilates class. (I can hear Gavlor chuckling....)
    At the start, the teacher(?) came over to me and said as its my 1st class to take it easy.....I smiled, thinking, I'm a runner - I do core stuff. I can stretch and do press ups and sit ups.......

I was knackered after 5 mins - and she was only focusing on the neck & shoulders :eek:
    So, 45 mins of continuous excercises that seemed to work the abs while also working other parts followed - I was nearly crying for a break!
    Towards the end, my foot and calf cramped up - totally locked up - really weird feeling.
    A great workout and I'll never ever laugh at anyone doing pilates again!
    Will do another next week.

Followed it up with 3 very slow miles recovery.

Thursday 12th: 6.4 miles at 7:08 pace - a steady progression run.
    Paces were 7:50 /7:15 / 7:08 / 7:04 / 6:55 / 6:40

Really enjoyed that - not too taxing but felt like a great workout.

Friday 13th: Busy day in work - its gone a bit bedlam over the last few weeks. Took a rest day. Thought about going out later in the evening, but had a beer and watched the football instead :)

Saturday 14th: I had to bring my daughter to an Irish Dancing thing in City West (Leinster championships) - so missed the club session of 5x1000.
    Was well worth it as she picked up a Gold & Bronze medal!!

Later that afternoon, I decided to do a 5x1200 session (2 mins rest) on the 15 acres.
    On my warm up (2.7 miles) I discovered that I had no idea what pace to be doing these at. Decided to do them at 5:30-5:40* pace and see what that worked out as in mins.
    Time Splits were 4:06 / 4:09/ 4:07 / 4:12 / 4:12. (between 5:29-5:43 pace)

Definitely harder doing these on your own, I'm getting too used to the club set up :).
    After the 4th rep, I lay on the ground thinking "thats it, no more - 4 is enough" but after a bit I started to think - "well maybe if I so the last rep at 10k pace - or even 10m pace - it'll still give me a decent workout".

So ended up doing the 5th rep in the same time as the 4th rep but it felt so much more comfortable and controlled.

This was a very tough session and I felt spent by the end of it. Amazing how running is so much in the head. Delighted not to have bailed at 4.

2.2m Warm down.

Total miles 9:11 m

* Checked McMillan later and I should have been doing 1200's at 4:15-4:28 - so a bit too fast.

Sunday 15th: Club run - in the company of greatness again as Catherina McK joined us for a few miles.

10.9 miles @ 7:47 pace.

I was under orders to reduce mileage for last week and also next week.
    Finished up on 36 miles for the week, but very happy with what I got done, throw in a gym session and a Pilates class too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

Sunday 15th: Club run - in the company of greatness again as Catherina McK joined us for a few miles.

Herself and Sean McS must have dropped you by the time myself and drquirky seen them at the ordnance survey loop so ;)

Monday 16th: 7.52 @ 7.53m :)

Lovely evening for a run - done a loop of the park that included the grass area by the Wellington monument and the gardens by parkgate street - I hovered (as distinct from hoovered - 'cos thats just wrong) for a while in both locations - dont know why.... :)

Bumped into Cianc - who wasn't hovering or hoovering, but carrying a heavy looking backpack.

Happy with how this felt after the weekend running and the high temp.

Tuesday 17th: Plan was a Pilates class and 3m recovery
    Neither happened - wifey went out with her pals andput pay to that - nothing more to do except put the feetup and watch the footie with a beer.

Wednesday 18th:
    Was going to do a Tempo run again in the PP, but the thoughts of doing it on my own in that heat was unappealing. Went to the club session in Santry instead. Thing with the club session is that you don't know what it is in advance.

Tonight was 12x400. Which I was delighted with as I hadn't done this ession before so had no idea how it would go.
    Coach broke it into 4x(3x400) - 90s b/w reps and 2 min b/w/ sets.

Splits:
    (1) 72/70/71
    (2) 73/72/71 (at this stage was wondering how I'd keep going)
    (3) 73/72/71
    (4) 71/72/69 (Coach challenged us to experiment in the last 2 reps e.g. go slower for 200 & pick it up - worked a treat)

I do worry that the reps are being done too fast - these were faster than 1 mile pace - but I had a good chat with one of the lads who was a slow runner when he joined and within 3 years has done a 16:xx 5k and a 36:xx 10k - and he has a running style that makes TRR look elegant ;) - so maybe there is something in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Was that session done on a track? If so then that's some session. I'm not going to tell you what events to do, but if I ran that session, as a 1500m runner, I would be very happy and looking for close to a 4.50 mile. Would be a shame not to try one mile and see how you get on.

1500m at Graded meet next Wednesday, just sayin'.

pconn062 wrote: »
    Was that session done on a track? If so then that's some session. I'm not going to tell you what events to do, but if I ran that session, as a 1500m runner, I would be very happy and looking for close to a 4.50 mile. Would be a shame not to try one mile and see how you get on.

Thanks PConn - yep - done it in Santry.

If I done a mile race, I think I'd die. Really. :pac:

Don't think I'm ready for the graded meets just yet, (also doing the 5 miler on 28th) but do plan to run some next year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Cleanman

pconn062 wrote: »

My thoughts exactly. Finishing off with 3 faster reps shows that you still had a bit left in the tank too. The marathon training paying divideds here! If you were thinking about giving it a go, aim for 4.50 and I'm sure you'd come in around 4.51....4.52!:P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭outforarun

Hiya AMK,

I'm not too familiar with paces/times for 400m. So I took 72 seconds and threw it into Excel: 3:00 min/km, 4:50 min/mile :eek: That's fairly impressive, 12 times over.

Things are definitely speeding up in here. You doing the Irish Runner (edit: yes you are just saw you mentioned it above)? What are you targeting?

outforarun wrote: »
    Hiya AMK,

I'm not too familiar with paces/times for 400m. So I took 72 seconds and threw it into Excel: 3:00 min/km, 4:50 min/mile :eek: That's fairly impressive, 12 times over.

Things are definitely speeding up in here. You doing the Irish Runner (edit: yes you are just saw you mentioned it above)? What are you targeting?

yeah - but the recovery was 90 secs between reps and 2 mins b/w sets - so a decent recovery.
    I don't think the pace means anything tbh for such a short interval - I do know that I'd never run those splits doing the session on my own.

Thursday: 5 miles at 8:00 pace - a smidgin too quick - but felt ok. No stiffness (easy boys) from Wednesdays session, to my surprise.

Friday: Had some spare time so decided to go to the gym. Watched the Italy game in there - great way to work out........probably got a bit too carried away.
    3.5 miles with the dog afterwards.

Saturday: Club session was 5x1km wit 2 mins rec - We were strangely told about this session on the Wedneday before, so we knew what was in store. Following my 5x1200 the previous week - I thought this would be a piece of pi$$ and prepared as such :(

2.3m warm up jogging down to the Polo grounds (which is 1km in circumference) and done 6 strides.

Rep 1: Felt great: 3:19 ( 5:17 pace) kept pace with 3 runners who have had similar race times to me.
    Rep 2: Another strong run - 3:19 again.
    Rep 3: 3:17 - faster - but found my breathing a bit laboured - maybe the heat?
    Rep 4: 3:27 - complete jelly legs - 1st half of the rep, felt ok - then legs went, breathing went - obviously too fast and the gym session coming back to bite me big time.
    Rep 5: Didn't do it - coach told me to sit out or risk injury - wise decision as I'd of just been pi$$ed at myself with another bad rep time.

Still a solid enough session and while I beat myself up for a few mins about bailing on the last rep, especially given the 5x1200 last week (at a more conservative/realistic pace) - I wasn't too cut up about it - its a session at the end of the day.

Cool Down: 1.9m back to the car.

Sunday: 10 miles @ 7:45. Great run with some good banter - really like these Sunday morning runs.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Thursday: 5 miles at 8:00 pace - a smidgin too quick - but felt ok. No stiffness (easy boys) from Wednesdays session, to my surprise.

Friday: Had some spare time so decided to go to the gym. Watched the Italy game in there - great way to work out........probably got a bit too carried away.
    3.5 miles with the dog afterwards.

Saturday: Club session was 5x1km wit 2 mins rec - We were strangely told about this session on the Wedneday before, so we knew what was in store. Following my 5x1200 the previous week - I thought this would be a piece of pi$$ and prepared as such :(

2.3m warm up jogging down to the Polo grounds (which is 1km in circumference) and done 6 strides.

Rep 1: Felt great: 3:19 ( 5:17 pace) kept pace with 3 runners who have had similar race times to me.
    Rep 2: Another strong run - 3:19 again.
    Rep 3: 3:17 - faster - but found my breathing a bit laboured - maybe the heat?
    Rep 4: 3:27 - complete jelly legs - 1st half of the rep, felt ok - then legs went, breathing went - obviously too fast and the gym session coming back to bite me big time.
    Rep 5: Didn't do it - coach told me to sit out or risk injury - wise decision as I'd of just been pi$$ed at myself with another bad rep time.

Still a solid enough session and while I beat myself up for a few mins about bailing on the last rep, especially given the 5x1200 last week (at a more conservative/realistic pace) - I wasn't too cut up about it - its a session at the end of the day.

Cool Down: 1.9m back to the car.

Sunday: 10 miles @ 7:45. Great run with some good banter - really like these Sunday morning runs.

have I mentioned that I'm up to 14 miles already??

• Advertisement

Gavlor wrote: »

Not bad for a week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

7 miles is the most I have done since Boston. Can't believe you're ahead of me x 2 :o

menoscemo wrote: »
    7 miles is the most I have done since Boston. Can't believe you're ahead of me x 2 :o

7 min mile pace too!! I'm f€ckin flyin

what pace is required for a marathon between 3.30 and 3.50???

8:21 for you.
    Others with a reputation might scrape 8:24 :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

6:40 pace for the first 10 miles. 7:10 pace for mile 10-16. 12 min miles for 16-24 and 2.2 x 8 minute mile to finish it off. Be grand :)

menoscemo wrote: »
    6:40 pace for the first 10 miles. 7:10 pace for mile 10-16. 12 min miles for 16-24 and 2.2 x 8 minute mile to finish it off. Be grand :)

Your usual so?

BOOM!!!!

Monday 23rd: 6m inc 6x100m strides
    7:55 average pace - a couple of quick miles punctuated by a couple of slower miles.
    Tried to run 1 mile at 8:20 pace - just to try it out......going to be tough! ;)

6 strides on the grass track in Porterstown. Legs were tired before the run, felt great afterwards.

Tues 24th: 3x(200/200/400) - I wasn't going to be able to make the club session on Wednesday, so done my own session on Tuesday.
    With the 5m on Saturday, I wanted a session that wasn't too hard, but would tax me at the same time.
    Found this session here and thought it fit the bill nicely as it also focuses on endurance.

There was a cricket game on in the center of the Grass track :confused:, so just ran around the path in Porterstown.

200's were to be at 1mile pace followed by a 200 jog recovery, the 400's at 5k pace with 400 jog recovery.
    The intention was for the entire session to be 3 miles without stopping with 1.5 miles of faster stuff.

Really liked this session and it certainly felt tougher than it reads - by Christ it was warm out there - sweated buckets afterwards.

Goal
    36/36/85

Actual:
    (37/40?/85)
    (36/34/81)
    (32/34/84)

Came home with about a million flies battered into my face and neck.

Aim for Saturday's 5 mile race is to have a good race and feel somewhat strong. I've not enjoyed my last 2 races, despite posting PB's (but maybe that's what real racing feels like :eek:)

Total: 5.5 miles

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

What's the target on Saturday? 29:57??

yaboya1 wrote: »
    What's the target on Saturday? 29:57??

not going to put a target on it - but 29:57 would be nice. I may have to wait til next year to take you down though in the 5m :P

Being honest, I'd take getting a good confident race, doing 5 x 6:05 miles and finishing strong over the feeling I had at 3.5 miles in Dunboyne.

No pressure on myself for this one - you'll be safe for a while yet :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Do us a favour and go out at 5.55 for the first couple of miles, I've no garmin ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭likestosmile

Good luck on Sat, enjoy and the time will come itself. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭outforarun

Best of luck tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

not going to put a target on it - but 29:57 would be nice. I may have to wait til next year to take you down though in the 5m :P

Being honest, I'd take getting a good confident race, doing 5 x 6:05 miles and finishing strong over the feeling I had at 3.5 miles in Dunboyne.

No pressure on myself for this one - you'll be safe for a while yet :)

I'll put my money down on 29:56 with a good old fashion Alpha Male Mile to finish;)

Good Luck and ENJOY!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

If I don't see you in the morning at the start line...best of luck. Try not to create too much dust for the rest of us to choke on behind you! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

If i dont see you before the start in the morning best of luck, sub 30 all the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Best of luck tomorrow AMK

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

Good luck tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭cianc

Don't fcuk it up Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,625 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

cianc wrote: »

+1

Best of luck AMK, you've been rocking lately.

TbL

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

cianc wrote: »

+1 but especially the first part ;)

Advertisement