Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The main thing is keeping the main thing, the main thing

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Best of luck tomorrow man, I think cian/TRR has said everything else that needs to be said ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Closing out on the weeks training:

Wednesday: 4.13 miles @ 9:15 pace - Another tough few days in work - coming close to a major milestone on a project, so some long days and intense meetings - felt fairly tired, but thought a recovery run would help. Was bucketing sweat despite the pace.
    Done some core work.

Thursday: rest day - done a good bit of core work.

Friday; 4.14m @ 8:26 - threw in 6 100m strides on MSB grass track.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

FBOT01 wrote: »
    I'll put my money down on 29:56 with a good old fashion Alpha Male Mile to finish;)

Good Luck and ENJOY!

Like I keep telling my children, Daddy is always right. Who owes me money????? Well done AMK. Great running!

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭thewolf_ie

Like I keep telling my children, Daddy is always right. Who owes me money????? Well done AMK. Great running!

Lovely stuff AMK well done you dancer!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

On that course, that's a cracking time!! Massive improvement since Dunboyne already (given the different course profiles).

• Advertisement

Saturday 28th June: Irish Runner 5 mile

Felt no pressure on me on this one, tried to avoid Boards (but had a sneaky peek) - Friday night was spent with 2 bottles of beer watching a chick flick with wifey - nice.

Woke at 7 and had a small bowl of porridge and the usual Beet shot - I'd consumed a litre of BR juice over the last couple of days - is it sad that I'm actually liking this stuff? (despite what it does to the toilet bowl :))

Felt a little bloated going down to the PP - drove down to Whites road and a gentle jog down. The jog helped remove the bloating - thankfully no one behind me :P
    Done some strides, had a quick hello with Redrunner & Tang and off to find the team mates.
    The strategy was to bank some time on the 1st 2 miles - use the Khyber & downhill before the Upper Glen Road for recovery (rather than run them fast) and hold on as best I could to 6 min miles on the last 2 miles)

Mile 1: Was lined up near the start, maybe 6 rows back - I've never been so far up front at this race before, but didn't feel out of place.

Set off like an Olympic athlete, quick look at the watch as we turned the 1st corner showed 5:15 - so slowed it right down and let the crowd pass me.
    Felt good as I approached 1st mile marker in 5:48

Mile 2: Was passed by aero2k but kept him in my sights - he's been going great guns recently - in the distance I could see 2 of my MSB team mates.
    My buddy from last year (I think it was her anyway - yellow socks) was near me, minus the socks - again, someone I knew to keep watch off.

before we hit the Khyber, got a great should out from an MSB collegue with a whistle - gave me boost. Then came just before the Khyber and DrQuirky was there shouting encouragement but still taking the opportunity to get a dig at TBB at the same time :pac: made me laugh.

Went down the Khyber and kept my breathing stable - taking time to recover for the hills ahead - mile 2 was half way down at 5:52.

Mile 3: Kept the 1st part of mile 3 in check at 6 min miles as we approached the 1st hill. I kept my eyes down and ran on effort, before I knew it I was at the top, it had taken something out of me, but I knew I had the S-Bends to recover.
    Another great shout out by my coach - this was his 4 appearance encouraging us. Mile 3 was 6:00.

Mile 4: Took some recovery at the S-Bends - again with the next hills in mind - still felt I was running strong. Approached the Upper Glen road and seen aero2k in the distance, he was a target for me - I started thinking about the sub 30 - this was the 1st time in the race that I thought seriously about it.

The Upper Glen Road was taking its toll though as we reached the top - I could feel the familiar fatigue coming on. Mile 4 in 6:03

Mile 5: As we hit the final mile, I tried to speed up, was feeling tired now - had a quick glance at the watch and shocked to see 'current lap' at 6:17 - oh no I thought - This will kill sub 30 - I cannot Fcuk this up now.

The experience from Dunboyne on just missing by 3 seconds really spurred me on, I really pushed hard. I was just behind aero2k now - he looked very comfortable though while I was breathing hard.
    Great shout out again from the club mate with the whistle - I'll never undermine the importance of support again - I really felt the surge of energy with the support.

I was pushing hard - had the familiar feeling of the stomach ready to chuck as I was trying hard to get the last mile time down.
    At this stage we entered the home straight.

I pushed as hard as I could, overtaking a couple of guys, I could barely make out the clock in the distance - $hit, have I pushed too hard too early?

The body and mind was telling me to stop. Slow down it was yelling.......

I came up on aero2ks shoulder I could swear I gave him the Eamon Coughlan look but it was probably just a glance with dribble coming out of my lip.....;)

I was pushing hard, I could see the clock counting down - I actually think the clock sped up for a few seconds.
    Legs were hurting, lungs were hurting - this was going to be close.
    I fully expected aero2k to pass me by near the line as I felt I was flailing badly - I kept pushing - I could hear to commentator mention the MSB vest - I was about 100 yards from the line - the clock was ticking ever closer to 30 - I kept pushing - "not going to fcuk this up" was on a constant loop in my head.

I pushed and crossed the line to get an official finish time of 29:56.
    aero2k literally just behind me - great running Sean.

Totally spent. I gave that last mile and particularly the last 800 every single piece of me that I could. I don't think I could have given more.

The power of racing is mighty - without aero2k being ahead of me, I dont think I'd of pushed as hard as I did - thanks to him I got my sub 30.

Delighted with the performance, I wanted a good race and I got one, coupled with a 6 second PB and a sub 30 performance on a tough mudder of a course.

Good to meet up with Raycun & TBB after the race. Also seen in the results a massive performance from smmoore.
    Had hoped to meet more Boardsies after the race, but the rain was bucketing down at that stage - hope you all had good times!

Delighted.com

Guntime: 29:58
    Chiptime: 29:56
    Position 58th
    M40: 7th

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,129 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Well done AMK, great running.

ha ha - this post came immediately to mind when I finished.
    Might even buy you a pint sometime. Have you tonights lotto numbers?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,625 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Great running Pops, super effort for the last mile.

Well done, plenty more to come me thinks.

TbL

ha ha - this post came immediately to mind when I finished.
    Might even buy you a pint sometime. Have you tonights lotto numbers?

Now there's commitment :)

TbL

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Clontarf are after a 1:40 pacer for next saturday (to accompany FBOT??). Has your name all over it ;);)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Delighted for you. Well done AMK!

menoscemo wrote: »
    Clontarf are after a 1:40 pacer for next saturday (to accompany FBOT??). Has your name all over it ;);)

No chance - ask KC - he hasn't raced in a while :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Chiptime: 29:56

You bast*rd!
    Only joking :pac:
    Great running.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭outforarun

Saturday 28th June:

I came up on aero2ks shoulder I could swear I gave him the Eamon Coughlan look but it was probably just a glance with dribble coming out of my lip.....;)

:D:D:D

Great report. Great run. Great time. And all on a nasty tough course.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Congrats mate. Well deserved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

tang1 wrote: »
    If i dont see you before the start in the morning best of luck, sub 30 all the way.

I'm very glad i told you so, great run on that course. I knew you were in for a good race this morning when we met, you had the RunningKing glint in your eye!! Very well deserved i must say.

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭cianc

Very very well done on that course AMK. Solid tactics on the hills too. I guess wisdom does come with age :D

tang1 wrote: »
    I'm very glad i told you so, great run on that course. I knew you were in for a good race this morning when we met, you had the RunningKing glint in your eye!! Very well deserved i must say.

He's an auld lad Tang, they're cataracts :)

TbL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭Badreputation

Nice work AMK. Great run

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Gavlor

'Bout time

He's an auld lad Tang, they're cataracts :)

TbL

:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

menoscemo wrote: »

And you could buy me that pint afterwards:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭skeleton_boy

Well done on cracking the sub30.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

Superb stuff again AMK - well done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭statss

big milestones achieved there Alan, well done. Only 6 other aul lads faster than you, impressive!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭aero2k

... I was just behind aero2k now - he looked very comfortable though while I was breathing hard.
    That's been the problem lately - I can't run fast enough to get uncomfortable!
    I came up on aero2k's shoulder I could swear I gave him the Eamon Coughlan look but it was probably just a glance with dribble coming out of my lip.....;)
    In the circumstances the least I expected was a "thank you" for slowing down so you could get the same chip time as me - honestly, young people these days have no manners..
    I pushed and crossed the line to get an official finish time of 29:56.
    aero2k literally just behind me - great running Sean.
    I struggled badly in the last mile, I found it hard to get going after the hill. The HRM showed fairly even effort though, so maybe not a bad pacing job. That was actually an official PB for me, though I have gone faster in a 4.9 mile race.

Great running, what's next on your list?

aero2k wrote: »
    That's been the problem lately - I can't run fast enough to get uncomfortable!

In the circumstances the least I expected was a "thank you" for slowing down so you could get the same chip time as me - honestly, young people these days have no manners..

I struggled badly in the last mile, I found it hard to get going after the hill. The HRM showed fairly even effort though, so maybe not a bad pacing job. That was actually an official PB for me, though I have gone faster in a 4.9 mile race.

Great running, what's next on your list?

I didn't think I'd catch you, but being so close to sub 30 was spurring me on - there was no way I was going to let it slip by a couple of seconds again.

If you fancy pacing me around Kates 5k on the 13th or the Fingal 10k on the 20th?? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭MisterDrak

Well done lad, great running there...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Cleanman

Great running old man:)

Great to see you getting just reward for all your hard work.
    Sub 17:55 is just one race away!

Advertisement