Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The main thing is keeping the main thing, the main thing

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭aero2k

If you fancy pacing me around Kate's 5k on the 13th or the Fingal 10k on the 20th?? :P
    Who will pace the pacer?:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Sunday: Finished off the week with a 5 mile recovery run doing 9 min miles with the madra.
    Legs felt great but the stomach was as sick as a small hospital - self inflicted of course.

Then went into Croker to see the Dubs hammer Wexford while never moving out of 1st gear. Dire game.

Monday: Finished off June with a nice 10 mile run to make up for missing Sundays LSR - 7:45 pace - around the more populated areas of the PP - in some instances I may have doubled back once or twice :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭statss

was in the PP today myself at the Zoo.....my word :eek:

June Review / July Focus

June was a strange month - I got in some really solid training with the club and hit splits that I thought were crazy fast - too fast actually.
    Towards the end of the month I started to feel a bit of fatigue and got a bit worried that I was burning myself out from the training.

Some highlights of the training were a 12x400 (ave 71) / nice tempo run up the PP hills / 5x1200 session.
    Big thing in June was the decision not to race this years DCM - weight off my shoulders and I'm enjoying running immensely.
    The Irish Runner 5 mile was possibly my stand out race performance to date.

With 2 races and a holiday in July, the training will need to be clever - so I've a handle on that and also watching for signs of possible burnout. (burning out on 35 miles a week :eek: )

Mileage for June is 176 - but I'm not watching mileage going forward, so setting no targets on that front.

For July, I've 2 targets - maybe soft targets, I dont know.
    5k - Sub 18
    10k - anything in the 37:30 or lower range

The 5k course is't the flattest in the world, but isn't too bad (Castleknock 5k on 13th) and the 10k is the Fingal 10k - current PB is a recent 38:22, so I want to take a good chunk off that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Fingal 10k - current PB is a recent 38:22, so I want to take a good hunk off that.

I think you've been running around the PP too much lately;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭thewolf_ie

Coach broke it into 4x(3x400) - 90s b/w reps and 2 min b/w/ sets.

Splits:
    (1) 72/70/71
    (2) 73/72/71 (at this stage was wondering how I'd keep going)
    (3) 73/72/71
    (4) 71/72/69 (Coach challenged us to experiment in the last 2 reps e.g. go slower for 200 & pick it up - worked a treat)

Did you walk run or stand the recoveries? Have this session as speed development tomorrow.

thewolf_ie wrote: »
    Did you walk run or stand the recoveries? Have this session as speed development tomorrow.

Coach told us to keep moving, bit of walking, bit of jogging, just moving really.

Coach told us to keep moving, bit of walking, bit of jogging, just moving really.

The session we got is identical. Love 400's!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

The session we got is identical. Love 400's!

Where were you for the beer mile then???

yaboya1 wrote: »
    Where were you for the beer mile then???

Surely I would be disqualified for using non alcoholic!

• Advertisement

Tuesday 1st July:

45 mins of Pilates - not as hard as the 1st session a few weeks back, but was sweating buckets by the end of it. Tough session and its only a beginners class.
    Cant remember the last time I was sweating while lying down.............:p

4m Recovery run afterwards with the dog.

Wednesday 2nd July

Club session in Santry. A very windy but muggy night - strange combo!!

5x(500/300) 1m rec - 2 mins b/w sets

1.9m Warm Up:
    Then spent some time doing drills - I've never done running drills - felt like a complete plonker for the first few mins, but enjoyed them. 4xstrides before the reps.

(500/300)

Rep 1: 1:33 / 49
    Rep 2: 1:30 / 50
    Rep 3: 1:31 / 52
    Rep 4: 1:29 / 50
    Rep 5: 1:30 / 50

Happy with the consistency in these (bar 1st 500) - the coach gave us the choice of doing 4 reps or 5. before the 5th I was beat - said I wouldn't do the 5th - but jumped in anyway at the last second to get some redemption for bailing on the last 1km rep the previous week.

Amazing how fast the 1 min recovery goes.
    1.2m Recovery.

Liked that session - breaks the monotony of 800's & 400's - but I've no idea of how those times compare? I was keeping up (relatively) with the faster lads, so happy enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭cianc

I've no idea of how those times compare? I was keeping up (relatively) with the faster lads, so happy enough.

You and me both. I have no idea how to judge any of this track stuff you've been doing recently.
    Still can't go wrong with "no bad, could do better" :)

Fairly hot pace there bud! Did the pace feel easier than the 12 x 400 because they are similar pace. The 300's are around 4:30 pace and the 500 4:48!

cianc wrote: »
    You and me both. I have no idea how to judge any of this track stuff you've been doing recently.
    Still can't go wrong with "no bad, could do better" :)

Putting my last race into Mcmillan and with some extrapolation for the 500's - the pace is at the top end of his 'speed' range.

300's in 51-58 / 500's in 1:30-1:39

But its the consistency that I'm happy with - at no time during these reps are you checking the watch- your just running at a very fast pace, trying to keep with the other lads or catching the slower group that were set off ahead of us.

its a sort of enjoyable vomit inducing session :pac:

Fairly hot pace there bud! Did the pace feel easier than the 12 x 400 because they are similar pace. The 300's are around 4:30 pace and the 500 4:48!

I think the session tonight was easier psychologically as you look forward to the 'easier' 300 reps rather than 1 more of the 400's.

The 12x400's was a harder session I think - but obviously 4k of hard running today vrs 4.8k in the 12x400's.

I think the session tonight was easier psychologically as you look forward to the 'easier' 300 reps rather than 1 more of the 400's.

The 12x400's was a harder session I think - but obviously 4k of hard running today vrs 4.8k in the 12x400's.

Yes I find that too. I found last night the first set of 400's I was never going to make it. I thought I'd slow down when in fact I didn't I must of just relaxed.

Loved your comment vomit inducing.

I normal only hit them speeds once a month the rest of the time it's 5k pace.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭likestosmile

Big thing in June was the decision not to race this years DCM - weight off my shoulders and I'm enjoying running immensely.

Where did this come from AMK?

Where did this come from AMK?

I done some reflection a couple of weeks ago regarding my running.

I've been only running since 2011 and I've trained for a marathon every year since then (missed 1 through injury).
    I've never focused on shorter races, or different types of training.

Joining a club has helped with this focus and I'm really enjoying this type of training.
    Speaking to a few people at the club, they were talking about the importance of spending time to develop my capabilities as a runner.

I hadn't fully committed to DCM anyway (mentally) - but right now I feel invigorated about training for many shorter races (upto HM) & Park Runs rather than 1 big race.

Threw all that into the mix and decided not to race DCM this year.

That said - I believe I will be pacing 3:40 at DCM - but just need to confirm that :)

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭likestosmile

That sounds like a well thought out reason. Good on ya as the temptation of sub 3 can become obsessive...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

That said - I believe I will be pacing 3:40 at DCM - but just need to confirm that :)

It'd be good to have some familiar faces to drag me round to a 3:39 ! especially in that last 10k.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭Beef

RedRunner wrote: »
    It'd be good to have some familiar faces to drag me round to a 3:39 ! especially in that last 10k.

Don't you mean 3:40:03 ?

Sorry AMK, this has to stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭cianc

That sounds like a well thought out reason. Good on ya as the temptation of sub 3 can become obsessive...

Sneaky dig there.

Thursday:
    AM: 45 mins Gym workout (mainly core - only a small bit on the legs)
    PM: 5 mile run (8:28 pace)

Friday: Rest day (well as much rest as I'm going to get with wifey down in Wexford for a few days and me with the kids)

Saturday 5th: Club session: 5x1km - 2 mins recovery
    Took a chance of being reported to childline and left the kids asleep in bed for our 8:45 rendezvous with the club.
    2.3 mile warm up down to the Polo grounds and then some stretching and some strides.

Reps were 3.24 / 3:24 / 3:22 / 3:27 / 3:26 (ave 5:20-5:30 pace)

2 mile warm down

Felt strong on the last rep, even though the time was slower - the middle rep the coach ran it in the opposite direction and we all recorded our fastest reps - Score 1 for mind games.

Happy to get the session done - last time we done these I bailed on the last rep.

This is the last hard training session for 5 weeks as I've 2 races and some holidays planned!!

total mileage: 7.6 miles.

Sunday 6th: 13 miles long run with the club.

Nice to get this done before the heavens opened - pace was a little slow at the start - at the 4 mile mark, I had 8:20 ave showing on the watch - picked it up in the later miles and finished with 13 miles at 7:47 pace.
    So I guess some of the later miles were much faster. Enjoyed that run, felt very strong and could have done a lot more if it were not for family stuff!!!!

Nice to finish the week with 45 miles, 2 good sessions, a Pilates class and a Gym session and still feel ok.
    Race week next 2 weeks (5k/10k), so mileage will be lighter. Need to be clever between the 5k and the 10k.

Really loving my running these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

[
    Really loving my running these days.

Great thing to be able to say:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

Saturday 5th: Club session: 5x1km - 2 mins recovery
    Took a chance of being reported to childline and left the kids asleep in bed for our 8:45 rendezvous with the club.
    2.3 mile warm up down to the Polo grounds and then some stretching and some strides.

Reps were 3.24 / 3:24 / 3:22 / 3:27 / 3:26 (ave 5:20-5:30 pace)

2 mile warm down

This is the session of a runner who is more than capable of a sub 17 minute 5k in the coming weeks! FACT!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

TRR wrote: »
    This is the session of a runner who is more than capable of a sub 17 minute 5k in the coming weeks! FACT!

+1

Some of the training you are logging here are not matching up with your target times. Did I read something about a sub 18 5k here recently? As TRR says, I'd be looking a low 17 5k, if not sub 17 based off that session.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

pconn062 wrote: »
    +1

Some of the training you are logging here are not matching up with your target times. Did I read something about a sub 18 5k here recently? As TRR says, I'd be looking a low 17 5k, if not sub 17 based off that session.

If sub 18 is the realistic target you're doing your sessions way too fast. But I reckon you're just sandbagging :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Auldmanking: For July, I've 2 targets - maybe soft targets, I dont know.
    5k - Sub 18
    10k - anything in the 37:30 or lower range

The 5k course is't the flattest in the world, but isn't too bad (Castleknock 5k on 13th) and the 10k is the Fingal 10k - current PB is a recent 38:22, so I want to take a good chunk off that.

Sandbagging. ;)

• Advertisement

I do think the sessions are being done a tad fast, seriously, but I felt strong on that session, ready for another rep.

But I also think I'm close to a big breakthrough :) - a bit more confidence in myself and I'll get it.
    Think I need to race a little bit more to build that confidence.

Gold medal would be sub 37 in Fingal, but the thought of posting that scares the $hit out of me. So I won't post it :)

Advertisement