Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The main thing is keeping the main thing, the main thing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,625 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

TRR wrote: »
    This is the session of a runner who is more than capable of a sub 17 minute 5k in the coming weeks! FACT!

That's high praise indeed AMK.

You're doing all the hard work, time to bring home the bacon. (That's ruralish for get the finger out and deliver :) )

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Monday: 6 miles @ 8:10 pace. Cant recall too much of this barring having to run to Myo's to pick the car up.

Tuesday: 3 miles easy pace + Pilates. I was the only bloke in Pilates tonight, 9 women - only space left was up the front - felt like a piece of meat :) - cant wait til next week.

Would've ran longer, but for the footie - 7-1 wtf?

Wednesday: 7.6 miles around the PP at 7:25 pace.
    Working late, so missed the club session - done a nice run around the PP instead - very muggy out there.

Thursday: 5.5 miles inc 6x1 min @ 5k pace -, the 1st rep of 1 min felt like a death march - settled into it, but still found them very hard!! Hadn't eaten since breakfast and a lot of stress at work may not have helped.

Sweat off me was unbelievable. Could've washed the dog in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

There must be smoke coming off this track you are doing the sessions on. You are burning it up.

Congrats on the sub 30 couple weeks back...just catching up..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭Beef

The poor dog!

This was to be my sub 18 race. I thought I had a good 17:30-40 in me based on recent training and also based on the 1st 5k of my last 2 5 mile races.

Build up was good, legs felt good on Saturday - only ran 4.5 miles with 6x100 strides.

The night before I had a crap sleep, but still got a good 5 hours or so.

I ran down to the start line which was a little over a mile from the house and left in my bag and done some strides.

Met up with some of the clubmates for some photos and we lined up at the start. The start line was about mid way done Whites Road outside Farmleigh.

Around me I had Catherina McKiernan, Leo Varadakar and Eamonn Coughlan - amongst others.

We were off as Mr Brogan sounded the horn and quickly a pack of 11-12 set off with me in tow.
    I had hmmd and haww'd all week about race strategy - the newer sensible me was saying to run it even splits as the last 2 miles were tough, but I could hear DrQ in my ear saying go out hard and hang on.
    Decided to go out hard - was wearing the watch but hadn't got a pace setting on the front setting - my only feedback would be the mile beeps.

The 1st mile was downhill - very downhill (Tower Road) and we then turned into the PP at Mount Sackville school - I was feeling confident as the watched ticked the 1st mile at 5:24 (fastest mile ever - even if it was downhill) - I wondered if I'd regret that, but felt strong as the 2nd mile began.

The start of he 2nd mile seen a rise as you turn onto the Ordnance Survey Road road, I was glad to get that out of the way and still felt ok - I could see 2 or 3 people coming back to me so felt strong despite the slight rise in the furze. 2 of my club mates who were ahead of me in the recent 5 mile were ahead of me, but not by as much. So I felt good.

Got a massive shock when the watched beeped the 2nd mile at 5:50 - I was so sure I was at least 10 seconds faster than that.

The 3rd mile turned off OS road and up towards Farmleigh - $hit - where did that headwind come from.
    I overtook a lady at this point, resolving to make up the earlier lost time, but could feel my legs fading.
    As we went into Farmleigh, I got some nice shouts from locals and clubmates.

Around Farmleigh and I was feeling it now - I was regretting the fast 1st mile. Tried to get the negative thoughts out of the mind. I am not stopping.

We left Farmeligh and the next 400m was a tough ascent. It was probably a slight incline, but felt more like climbing the Sugar Loaf.

I was closing on one of our lady runners (& organiser of the event) as we entered the college, there was a downhill secion for about 300-400m towards the line. Try as I might I couldn't muster any form of sprint and I watched the clock tick down, knowing that I wouldn't get any PB either today.
    In my dismay, I hadn't noticed the other lady runner breeze by me on the line. Hate been chicked on the line :).
    The 3rd mile was a very disappointing 6:04 and a paltry 52 seconds for the last bit. 1st time in a long time I've had a 6 min mile in a 5k race.

I was initially disappointed with my time of 18:11 (equals my PB from Jingle Bells), but in talking to others, they were also slightly disappointed too - we reckoned that the later 2 miles were tough and worth about 20 seconds - which sounds like a lot as I type it :eek:.

Got myself a prize for 2nd O40 (& finished 10th) and also won a nice cosmetics hamper (........for my girls........really.....) in the raffle afterwards - so not a bad morning.

A great race, taught me a lesson in race tactics and also that I need to do more tempo running & hill work in my training.

Sub 18 wasn't there today, but these things happen. I'm not disappointed at all now as it was a great race and for some obscure reason - I'm super confident about the Fingal 10k next week - which is my goal race of the summer.

A very well organised event for its 1st outing, great prizes, good raffle, nice spread of food afterwards - copious amounts of sports drinks and recovery drinks afterwards - I'll definitely be back next year (but with a different race strategy)

Strava link (Not mine) for the course for future reference.

• Advertisement

Well done today AMK, savage first mile probably cost you a bit at the end though.

You badly needed the cosmetics hamper :)

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Well done A. I'm running out of superlatives with you! Might bump into you next week in Swords then!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Your more than capable of sub 18, dont need me to tell you that. Dont know if it suits & you were asking about Meath races earlier in the year, Streets of Athboy on 8th of August at 8pm. Course profile is on entry via Precision Timing, looks flat, flat, flat.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭SamforMayo

Well done especially on that 1 st mile:eek: Is Leo V running 18 min 5 kms?

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭cianc

Solid result on a tough course. I was thinking about running it, but the profile put me off. Visited the MSB "track" today. I'm sure it's good cross country training :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭outforarun

Well done yesterday. I was running alongside the field going up Tower Road, that drag cannot have been easy coming near the end of the race. Plus it was quite warm yesterday as well. Might see you next Sunday. If you hang around at the finish line for a while you will hopefully might see a rake of us coming in at 39:XX.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 Billy Mills

Good running. Going out hard is a balancing act. That opening 5:24was probably a bit fast but the course profile looked pretty tough as well. Not a course for fast times

The breakthrough will come when you can open with 5:24 and come back with a couple 5:4xs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭statss

2 prizes in quick succession? Well played sir.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Gavlor

5.24??

That'll learn ya

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭thewolf_ie

I seen pictures of you at the race line looking rather fresh. How did you feel?

tang1 wrote: »
    Your more than capable of sub 18, dont need me to tell you that. Dont know if it suits & you were asking about Meath races earlier in the year, Streets of Athboy on 8th of August at 8pm. Course profile is on entry via Precision Timing, looks flat, flat, flat.

Cheers Tang, I'll be just back from holidays, fatter with beer, wine & good food. Plus it'll be the upcoming beating that Meath are going to get will still be fresh in peoples minds.....too dangerous for a Dub. :)

SamforMayo wrote: »
    Well done especially on that 1 st mile:eek: Is Leo V running 18 min 5 kms?

I know....... Leo had no right to be at the front - but he was talking to Eamonn (Seantor??) so who was I to tell him any different.

cianc wrote: »
    Solid result on a tough course. I was thinking about running it, but the profile put me off. Visited the MSB "track" today. I'm sure it's good cross country training :D

That 'Track' is in dire need of a haircut and fresh paint!!
    outforarun wrote: »
    Well done yesterday. I was running alongside the field going up Tower Road, that drag cannot have been easy coming near the end of the race. Plus it was quite warm yesterday as well. Might see you next Sunday. If you hang around at the finish line for a while you will hopefully might see a rake of us coming in at 39:XX.

Be good to put a face to the name - your right it was very humid - one more thing for my list of excuses :)
    Gavlor wrote: »
    5.24??

That'll learn ya

:o
    thewolf_ie wrote: »
    I seen pictures of you at the race line looking rather fresh. How did you feel?

Felt very good before hand & tired afterwards :P. Not too disappointed with my time as I got what I deserved with my tactics. More disappointed when I watched the video at the finish line - I was sauntering across the line when that lady passed me on the line. Could've got a PB with an extra push.

Eamon "green party tree hugging hippy" Ryan

Eamon "green party tree hugging hippy" Ryan

Senator Coughlin actually :)

Senator Coughlin actually :)

Did you beat him??!!

Did you beat him??!!

Of course - in fairness he was people pleasing and just jogging.

• Advertisement

Good running. Going out hard is a balancing act. That opening 5:24was probably a bit fast but the course profile looked pretty tough as well. Not a course for fast times

The breakthrough will come when you can open with 5:24 and come back with a couple 5:4xs

Billy Mills the famous American 10k racer - good name.
    Another American/Canadian gave me similar advice recently.

Must start to listen :p

Of course - in fairness he was people pleasing and just jogging.

Sure you were probably in school together :pac:

Felt very good before hand & tired afterwards :P. Not too disappointed with my time as I got what I deserved with my tactics. More disappointed when I watched the video at the finish line - I was sauntering across the line when that lady passed me on the line. Could've got a PB with an extra push.

Ah yes I know that feeling. 5k should have you in need of assistance at the finish line. So I am taught.

Monday: 9.11 miles @ 7:45 - legs felt great. Delighted to get a bit of rain towards the end as it was very humid out there.

Tuesday: Pilates with the ladies tonight. The Leeree became the leerer as I was there early and got myself positioned at the back. Behind them...... cough......ahem.
    My yellow headband was only sparkling :)

Followed this up with 4 miles @ 8:30 pace with the madra.

Wednesday: Club Session in Morton - Due to Sundays race, I was in 2 minds about this, but I'll miss 2 weeks due to holidays - then its not on for a further 4-5 weeks after that. So decided to go down and be sensible Al.

Session was 5x(500/300) 90 sec between & 2 min between sets.
    The people racing only done 4 sets.

Started off with a 2.1m warm up that included some drills and strides. I'm sure the Raheny folks we share the track with thought we were barking mad doing the drills - the side shuffle was sight to behold.

My plan was to run the 500's sensible and the 300's hard.

Set 1: 1:39 / 51 (too slow sensible on the 500)
    Set 2: 1:32 / 49
    Set 3: 1:34 / 48
    Set 4: 1:35 / 48

Looking back on the last time we ran this session - my 300's were 2 secs faster and my 500's were 4-5 secs slower. Seems right.
    On the 300's I really used my arms and found an extra gear - felt great doing it, but couldn't replicate it on the 500's - strange.

1.4m Cool down and some stretching.

Good days work.

Monday: 9.11 miles @ 7:45 - legs felt great. Delighted to get a bit of rain towards the end as it was very humid out there.

Tuesday: Pilates with the ladies tonight. The Leeree became the leerer as I was there early and got myself positioned at the back. Behind them...... cough......ahem.
    My yellow headband was only sparkling :)

Followed this up with 4 miles @ 8:30 pace with the madra.

Wednesday: Club Session in Morton - Due to Sundays race, I was in 2 minds about this, but I'll miss 2 weeks due to holidays - then its not on for a further 4-5 weeks after that. So decided to go down and be sensible Al.

Session was 5x(500/300) 90 sec between & 2 min between sets.
    The people racing only done 4 sets.

Started off with a 2.1m warm up that included some drills and strides. I'm sure the Raheny folks we share the track with thought we were barking mad doing the drills - the side shuffle was sight to behold.

My plan was to run the 500's sensible and the 300's hard.

Set 1: 1:39 / 51 (too slow sensible on the 500)
    Set 2: 1:32 / 49
    Set 3: 1:34 / 48
    Set 4: 1:35 / 48

Looking back on the last time we ran this session - my 300's were 2 secs faster and my 500's were 4-5 secs slower. Seems right.
    On the 300's I really used my arms and found an extra gear - felt great doing it, but couldn't replicate it on the 500's - strange.

1.4m Cool down and some stretching.

Good days work.

You're due a name change:

King Leer :)

TbL

You're due a name change:

King Leer :)

TbL

:D Why didn't I think of that

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

All the best for tomorrow Al. Might see you around the start.

Fingal 10k: Up all night with stomach issues. Didn't make the start line. Didn't actually make it out of the bathroom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Sorry to hear that A :(
    Read tang's log about a very strange cure for your problem!

• Advertisement

Ososlo wrote: »
    Sorry to hear that A :(
    Read tang's log about a very strange cure for your problem!

Sorry to hear that was hoping you did well.

Advertisement