Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The main thing is keeping the main thing, the main thing

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Fingal 10k: Up all night with stomach issues. Didn't make the start line. Didn't actually make it out of the bathroom.

Sorry to hear that, i've felt your pain. Must have been bad to stop you racing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 Billy Mills

Did you break 37 mins on the crapper? Is that even a PB

Hard luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭SamforMayo

Ososlo wrote: »
    Sorry to hear that A :(
    Read tang's log about a very strange cure for your problem!

Don't read it, will put you off roAst dinners!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Did you break 37 mins on the crapper? Is that even a PB

Hard luck!

Was more of an ultra, don't think I broke 6 hours.On the home straight now.

Disappointed to have missed the race, you put so much prep and sacrifice into race week, felt in great shape.
    Not too sure I'd have broke 37 based on some of my teammates times and those I know that I'm around the same level.

Be interested to hear how the heat/ humidity was.

I'm away on hols for 2 weeks, so next race is the F.Duffy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

Sorry to hear you didn't make it - was surprised not to see you hanging about Swords.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

I thought you did make it. Was waffling the ears off some bloke in an MSB vest that I thought was you. Feel a bit embarrassed now.....

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭cianc

Ah crap.
    Ha ha, poop joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭PaulieYifter

Was looking out for a handsome MSB auld lad and couldn't find one so that explains it.

Was looking out for a handsome MSB auld lad and couldn't find one so that explains it.

There's a compliment in thrte, I think. :)

Nice run by you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

Tough one not to make the start line. Bad bit of luck. Onwards and upwards....enjoy the hols but not too much;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Bad luck about today/yesterday Al. Knew something was up when I didn't see you at the start. Enjoy your holiday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭MisterDrak

There was me thinking you ran a stinker in 39:26 for 128 place... :confused:

Hard luck, no slacking on the hols....

MisterDrak wrote: »
    There was me thinking you ran a stinker in 39:26 for 128 place... :confused:

Hard luck, no slacking on the hols....

ha ha - yeah - theres a guy from Balbriggan with the same name - pops up every now and then.
    key point he is always slower than me :)

ha ha - yeah - theres a guy from Balbriggan with the same name - pops up every now and then.
    key point he is always slower than me :)

Must track him down, and get him training smart, then give you a proper race...

Can you imagine lining out knowing you have to beat yourself :confused::confused:

Wow - been away from here for nearly 3 weeks - need to catch up on what's been happening.

Hope you've all been doing well!

Saturday 19th July: Easy run with Strides - 4 miles

Sunday 20th: As said already, didn't do the Fingal 10k due to illness - this was to be my goal race for the summer, so this was a bit of a pi$$er to miss. But as with missing DCM '13, its just motivated me even more.

Tuesday 22nd: Felt a bit better and knew that I'd be not getting much running on my upcoming holidays- so went out for a few miles to see how I'd be. Done 10.5 miles (7:44 pace) but felt crap afterwards. Mistake noted.

Went to Rhodes (Lindos) for 2 weeks and had promised the girls that I'd limit the running. Decided to do it in the evening while they were all getting ready (too much going on for my liking in a 1 bed apprt :) )
    Given that it was very very warm and a very very hilly area - I was going to limit the runs to short distances and get as much quality as I could into them.
    Wasn't going to run every day - a man has to have some lunchtime beers at some stage!!

Wed/Thur/Fri: In Rhodes - No running - felt like an eternity.

Sat 26th: Ventured out to do some hill repeats - found a great hill (in amongst all the other great hills :) ) down by St Pauls Bay - a very picturesque area for running.

Done 7 x 25sec hill repeats with walk back down. Absolutely wrecked after this - laboured heavy breathing etc
    The run back to the hotel was also uphill - nearly killed me.

Shorts were soaked with sweat by the finish, had to run with no top on due to the heat (& also my exhibitionist tendencies :) )

Possibly the hardest 3.7 miles of running that I've ever done!!
    Took my a while to cool back down afterwards.

Sun 27th: 4 miles easy running on the hills - legs a bit fatigued as had been walking a lot during the day as well.

Tues 28th: 4 mile Fartlek - differing paces for different hills - mile pace on some downhills - walking pace on certain uphills!!

Thur 29th: Failed Tempo: met a guy from Kilkenny (Gowran AC) who told me about a different area to run where the hills weren't as bad - so decided to try them and do a tempo run. (incorporating the earlier hill route)
    1 mile warm up.
    2 miles at 6:35 pace then basically died a death.
    1.4 miles back with some rest stops along he way on those bloody hills.

Found out later on that it was till 38c while I was running.

Sat 2nd Aug: Decided to keep the entire run to the 'flatter' area - still some good drags and inclines though!
    4 miles at 6:58 pace - inc 3@6:35.
    Felt great on this run - the lack of real hills made a big difference.

Still took a while to cool down, despite a dip in the pool and copious amounts of water.

Tuesday 5th Aug: Last run of the holidays - decided on another Fartlek around the flatter course (each lap was abut 1 mile)
    Built in to this were 4x1min moderate hill runs at 3k pace.
    4.26 miles @ 7:16 pace.

Thursday 7th Aug: Back in Ireland. Decided to do 10 miles to get some longer stuff into the legs.

The watch didn't pick up any signal at all on the run, so just ran by time - I figured 80 mins would be close to 10 miles.
    Met MrDrak after about a mile and ran with him for 30-40 mins - good to have company for the run.

When we parted company, I tried to inject some pace, but the watch was still not picking up the gps. Dont know if i actually did pick up pace, but the breathig was heavy and the effort was harder - but that could have also meant that I needed more effort for the same pace.
    81 mins - about 10 miles.

Next up is the Frank Duffy 10 miler - not expecting a PB, but want to give the race a good shot.

Currently developing my race and training goals for the remainder of the year and into '15.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,195 ✭✭✭PaulieC

**** sake, I can't even remember what I did yesterday, nevermind three weeks ago. Welcome back, hope you enjoyed the holiday

Met MrDrak after about a mile and ran with him for 30-40 mins - good to have company for the run.

When we parted company, I tried to inject some pace, but the watch was still not picking up the gps.

You could have just said you wanted to run faster...

I was taking it easy on you cause you were just back from Holiday :D:D

Friday 8th: Back in work today - 1st time in nearly 3 weeks. Went out for a recovery run in the evening, lovely run with the Madra in Porterstown.
    4.2 miles @ 9:04 pace

Sat 9th: Club Session 5x1k (2 min R)

I approached this not knowing how I'd react to it after the holidays - I was hopeful that the maintenance work I'd done would be enough to see me through it. On a good day, these are tough sessions.

Met up at Whites Gate and delighted to see a good crowd of 14-15 people, some of whom don't even run with MSB but turn up on a regular basis to do the sessions, which is great.
    Ran down to the Polo grounds and done some stretches and strides (2.3miles WU).

Before the session, the coach told us (among other things) that "running was 90% in the head - so to use that wisely".

Rep 1: 3:27 - felt very controlled.
    Rep 2: 3:26 - Again - felt ok, was keeping up with the usual pace setters (or as far behind as I normally am!) Decided to let the mind games begin and told myself that I'm just doing 4 reps.
    Rep 3: 3:28 - a little wobble - was breathing harder - "just 1 more rep to go after this" got me around.
    Rep 4: 3:30 - Definitely felt that rep, difficult to hold pace in the last 400. Thats it - Finished (or so I thought).

Rep 5: 3:35 - there were only 5 doing the last rep, and just before the coach set them off, I jumped in with the slower group.

Pace was a bit slower especially on the last lap, but delighted to get it done and not drop out.
    Checking back on the same session 4 weeks ago, I was doing maybe 3 secs faster then - so not too bad after the holliers.

1.8m Cool Down.

7.4m Total

• Registered Users Posts: 6,625 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Friday 8th: Back in work today - 1st time in nearly 3 weeks. Went out for a recovery run in the evening, lovely run with the Madra in Porterstown.
    4.2 miles @ 9:04 pace

Sat 9th: Club Session 5x1k (2 min R)

I approached this not knowing how I'd react to it after the holidays - I was hopeful that the maintenance work I'd done would be enough to see me through it. On a good day, these are tough sessions.

Met up at Whites Gate and delighted to see a good crowd of 14-15 people, some of whom don't even run with MSB but turn up on a regular basis to do the sessions, which is great.
    Ran down to the Polo grounds and done some stretches and strides (2.3miles WU).

Before the session, the coach told us (among other things) that "running was 90% in the head - so to use that wisely".

Rep 1: 3:27 - felt very controlled.
    Rep 2: 3:26 - Again - felt ok, was keeping up with the usual pace setters (or as far behind as I normally am!) Decided to let the mind games begin and told myself that I'm just doing 4 reps.
    Rep 3: 3:28 - a little wobble - was breathing harder - "just 1 more rep to go after this" got me around.
    Rep 4: 3:30 - Definitely felt that rep, difficult to hold pace in the last 400. Thats it - Finished (or so I thought).

Rep 5: 3:35 - there were only 5 doing the last rep, and just before the coach set them off, I jumped in with the slower group.

Pace was a bit slower especially on the last lap, but delighted to get it done and not drop out.
    Checking back on the same session 4 weeks ago, I was doing maybe 3 secs faster then - so not too bad after the holliers.

1.8m Cool Down.

7.4m Total

That's you focked so :)

TbL

Sunday 10th: 12 mile Long Run

Good group of 10 of us out for this one - we decided to run the 10m route and tack on an additional couple of miles.
    My watch is causing me hassle these days, didn't get a signal for a while.
    We took the 1st few miles handy and then pushed pushed the pace up every couple of miles, finishing with a solid 2 miles up the upper glen road onto the Furze road and a bit of a race to the non existent finish line.

Due to the session on Sat, I felt that in my legs - nicely fatigued and very tired most of the day. 35 miles since Thursday - not ideal following 2 weeks holidays. But very solid none the less.

Monday 11th: Rest Day

Tuesday 12th: 8 miles in the PP - no dog today, so a nice pace of ~7:30 - Battery died after 6 miles.
    Intention was to slightly fatigue the legs for Wednesdays tempo.

Wednesday 13th I decided to not do the club session and do a tempo instead - will focus more on tempos and mile reps for the coming weeks.
    Following some tempo runs in recent weeks, I felt ready to do a good tempo I found here.

3m/2m/1m with 3min Rec

1.45m down to the PP and started the 3m portion on Whites road - so a nice downhill to start. Done the rest of it on the Furze/OS roads.
    Pace was quick on the 1st mile and rather than slow it down, I tried to maintain it - this was the 1st sign of 'RK' in a long time!!
    Was a bit of a struggle to hold the last 500m or so.

3m tempo @ 6:06 ave

Took the 3min Jog/walk/ recovery - bumped into aero2k (again).

I attacked the 2 mile portion but much slower - vowing to hold the pace.
    Despite this, after 1.5 miles, my form was in ribbons so I called a halt to that segment - nothing more to be gained and I wanted to have a good 3rd segment.

1.5 tempo @ 6.15 ave

I only took 2 min rec after this and felt ok to tackle the 3rd portion - just a mile (so I kept telling myself)

The final mile was actually OK - maintained the pace.

1.0m tempo @ 6:06

Ran the 2.33m home at 7:45 pace - felt ok, but the stomach now knows its been in a good session.

So - note to self for my next tempo: Control the 1st leg - going too fast kills the rest of the session.

9.6miles @ 7:15 average.

• Advertisement

Thursday: teambuilding event in work, bit of a fun day, my team won, although I wasn't being competitive.............seriously......

Felt $hite that night, felt tired, sore, actually felt like death..........manflu it is.

Friday: worked at home, chanced a 4 mile recovery run. Felt ok during but crap after. Very little sleep.

Sat: sick as a small hospital. skipped the club session today. No running. Watched Spurs take their 1st win.

Sun: feeling a bit better, but skipped the long run. Want to feel strong this week. No running.

Hopefully fully fit by Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Rest might do you good. What's the target for Saturday?

yaboya1 wrote: »
    Rest might do you good. What's the target for Saturday?

I'd agree with you if I didn't just have 2 weeks holiday recently :)

No idea how I'll do, not a goal race for me.
    Sure, I'll be doing well to finish it ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭outforarun

Some interesting tempo sessions in that HM training link. Thanks for that. Must have a re-read later. I'll have one weekend between Blessington and the Race Series HM and if I don't decide to take it easy that weekend I might consider fitting one of those tempos in. Like FD for you, HM for me isn't a goal race, no HM specific training (though it'd be a shame if I didn't have a no pressure shot at sub 90).

Monday 18th:

Decided to do a session to make up for missing the weekends running.
    3m @ Race Pace followed by 10 mins on/off.

2.35miles down to the Furze Road (8:00 pace)

3:00 miles at race pace (actually was faster than race pace) - 6:09 - felt very tough, not going to hold that pace on Saturday. Although felt very heavy legged and the breathing was all over the place - so possibly still a bit fluey.

10x1 min on/off - ran all the 1 min reps at 5:45 pace ave (5k pace)

Cool down 1.4 miles.

total 10:37 miles @ 7:28

Unsure what that means for the 10 miler on Sat. I probably wont know until 2-3 miles into the race at this stage.
    Any plans I had to run Blessington are now gone - I need to build up the miles and get the endurance back for the HM.

During Mondays run, I noticed a dull ache in my left foot. So much so that I stopped, gave it a few wiggles and hard rubs.
    Thought no more about it other than to check the mileage on the Saucony Guide 7's - approaching 500 miles.

Tuesday: Foot was a bit achey during the day - the pain originally was on the instep (left side of left foot) but also sore on the heel. Not sore in a PF way.
    4 miles easy on grass wearing different runners and it went ok - iced the foot later as a precaution and am wearing a tight'ish strap on it today (its a PF type of sock).

Will monitor it over the next few days.

Pre Race: I knew I hadn't got good prep coming into this race, but still felt that I had a good performance in me.
    With 1 good weeks training in the last 6 weeks, it was going to be an interesting take on where my fitness is right now. My ave mileage in the last 6 weeks is 24 per week with holidays & flu.
    With this in mind - this was never a goal race.

Race Day: Felt good on race morning - usual brekkie and prep - nothing out of the ordinary.
    Met up with the clubmates for a warm up and bumped into TAFKA DrQ/BillyMills and ran with him for a bit - good to catch up. He looks in such good shape.

Good to meet a few other Boardsies as I lined up - TBB & Raycun were looking sharp.

Mile 1-3:
    Felt comfortable enough for the 1st mile - loads of fast starters, but held back a bit - still a fast start at 6:04 for the 1st mile.
    Mile 2 brought us by the back of the Zoo and out onto the North road. Feeling ok - but knew I'd have trouble later in the race. (6:16)
    Mile 3 Was tough - the North road - Raycun passed me at this stage and I couldn't keep with him. At this stage, the legs were tiring and I knew it was going to be a difficult day. (6:16)

Mile 4-6:
    As we approached mile 4 thoughts of a DNF entered my head - way too early for those thoughts. I was finding the going very tough up the north road. "Sure - I can just get my bag on Chesterfield and head off" - "it'll be a good 5 mile tempo" all went through my head.
    But pain is temporary - a DNF is forever - so vowed to keep going but lower my expectations. Treat it as a good training run for the HM - but keep on going!!

As we turned back down chesterfield my spirits lifted a lot as I seen quite a few people I knew - all shouting out my name - Jaysus - I can hardly step off the course now :) -
    Passed the 5m mark in 31:10.
    Coming down to the monument, my coach was there shouting abuse encouragment at me. There was a great level of support along Chesterfield - amazing..
    (6:22 / 6:20/ 6:21)

Mile 7-8:
    Fatigue was growing big time in the legs as I approached the 7 mile mark and my mood was lifted as a guy I played football with a few years ago came along side me - he's a tri-athlete now - and he pushed on (oh the shame - getting beaten by tri-athletes!). As we entered the road on Island bridge, there was a good gap ahead of me -just then a good crowd approach from behind, overtake me and push on :o

(6:23/6:33)

Mile 9-10: (7:09/6:59)
    The legs were gone - approaching the upper Glen Road I was questioning when was the last time my legs felt like this.
    Mile 9 was a 7:09 and I was glad to reach the top of the hill and then happy that there was just 1 more mile to go.
    my watch was reading 6:29 ave pace - so I wanted to get under 65 mins - it gave me a bit of a jolt.
    Coming down the home straight, I could see the clock in the distance, reading 64:3x - so I increased the pace a bit and got in under the 65 (64:52)

At the time I was very disappointed, but in hindsight and my maturing years :rolleyes: I'm not too disappointed with the time, giving the training before hand. You get out what you put in.

It'll give me a great fitness boost and it sets up the next few weeks training ahead of the HM.

Onwards and upwards...............

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭SamforMayo

Fair play to you for keeping going, no joke when you start feeling bad at mile 3!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Good stuff A. Gave you a shout on the finishing straight. You looked tired, but then again I've never seen you at stage of a race before:D

That's a great time to work with over the next while in the build up to half.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Am I the only one here that would have loved if you wussed out??

Advertisement