Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The main thing is keeping the main thing, the main thing

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Gavlor wrote: »
    Am I the only one here that would have loved if you wussed out??

The big plus of being on Boards is that you pay a big penalty for being a wuss. That was 1st and foremost in my mind!!

RedRunner wrote: »
    Good stuff A. Gave you a shout on the finishing straight. You looked tired, but then again I've never seen you at stage of a race before:D

That's a great time to work with over the next while in the build up to half.

Cheers Robbie, heard the shout but couldn't see who it was. Thanks.

Bad news for you today?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Gavlor wrote: »
    Am I the only one here that would have loved if you wussed out??

ha ha everyone wants the good guy to do good;)
    Well done today A for pushing on through!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Cheers Robbie, heard the shout but couldn't see who it was. Thanks.

Bad news for you today?

Unfortunately, yes, a bad day. Report is up on my log now. Should have heeded your advice it would seem.

Sunday: 4 miles recovery - legs a little tender today - my hangover was even more tender after a night of debauchery. More drink on Sunday night - ill advised, but enjoyable none the less.

Monday: 9 miles easy - wet but easy - 7:50/mile pace around the PP - 1st run in a while with long sleeves - even wore a hat for a few miles as it was bucketing down.
    I love training in this weather - dont know what it is - reminds me of training for the marathon........

Tuesday: 7.5 mile loop around the PP - was going down the S Bends and got a massive sting in the face :eek: - had to stop it was so bad - fcuking huge yolk stuck to my face, no idea what it was, but it was big and had wings and it hurt like hell.
    My face felt like it was swollen under the eye, but it wasn't - very strange feeling. Lasted the whole run and didn't help as the sweat was making it worse.

I've had some strange running injuries, but this beat all................Johnny and his fcuking sore heels.......

:P

7.5 miles @ 7:58 pace.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 701 ✭✭✭PaulieYifter

Good Jaysus. A fuppin bee flew into me singlet in a race a couple of weeks ago. Thankfully didn't sting but they're like suicide bombers this time of year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Sunday: 4 miles recovery - legs a little tender today - my hangover was even more tender after a night of debauchery. More drink on Sunday night - ill advised, but enjoyable none the less.

Monday: 9 miles easy - wet but easy - 7:50/mile pace around the PP - 1st run in a while with long sleeves - even wore a hat for a few miles as it was bucketing down.
    I love training in this weather - dont know what it is - reminds me of training for the marathon........

Tuesday: 7.5 mile loop around the PP - was going down the S Bends and got a massive sting in the face :eek: - had to stop it was so bad - fcuking huge yolk stuck to my face, no idea what it was, but it was big and had wings and it hurt like hell.
    My face felt like it was swollen under the eye, but it wasn't - very strange feeling. Lasted the whole run and didn't help as the sweat was making it worse.

I've had some strange running injuries, but this beat all................Johnny and his fcuking sore heels.......

:P

7.5 miles @ 7:58 pace.

I passed a guy in the park earlier, knew he looked familiar...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

No picture...

Crap log. :pac:

Wed 27th 4x1m

My early morning work meetings were cancelled, so decided to make use of the time and get my run in early - there's a crackdown coming on this 'work from home' stuff - so doing it while I can.

Didn't fancy the planned 8x800 (10k pace) session as the legs were tired - so decided to do 4x1m at PHMP - about 6:15-6:20/mile off 2 mins rec.

Ran 1.5m down to the PP, watching out carefully for the 2 foot long winged monster that stung me yesterday.

The 4x1m were done by the Furze / OS roads and truth be told they were harder than they should have been - I managed the pace for them all (ave 6:17) and after the 3rd one I felt like stopping - but its normally all in the mind and that showed again (as it nearly always does) as my final rep was the most comfortable.

2.2m cooldown home.

Happy to get that done and happy with the 3 runs this week - I was too comfortable doing the lower mileage/higher intensity stuff in the summer and my endurance has suffered.

No sign of the winged monster today............my face feels like I'd win a part playing Quasimodo...........

8.4m total for today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭PaulieC

Wed 27th 4x1m

My early morning work meetings were cancelled, so decided to make use of the time and get my run in early - there's a crackdown coming on this 'work from home' stuff - so doing it while I can.

Didn't fancy the planned 8x800 (10k pace) session as the legs were tired - so decided to do 4x1m at PHMP - about 6:15-6:20/mile off 2 mins rec.

Ran 1.5m down to the PP, watching out carefully for the 2 foot long winged monster that stung me yesterday.

The 4x1m were done by the Furze / OS roads and truth be told they were harder than they should have been - I managed the pace for them all (ave 6:17) and after the 3rd one I felt like stopping - but its normally all in the mind and that showed again (as it nearly always does) as my final rep was the most comfortable.

2.2m cooldown home.

Happy to get that done and happy with the 3 runs this week - I was too comfortable doing the lower mileage/higher intensity stuff in the summer and my endurance has suffered.

No sign of the winged monster today............my face feels like I'd win a part playing Quasimodo...........

8.4m total for today.

I got stung yesterday too, on the arm. Bee stings are aptly named, they sting like fcuk. Must be about 30 years since I last got stung.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

PaulieC wrote: »
    I got stung yesterday too, on the arm. Bee stings are aptly named, they sting like fcuk. Must be about 30 years since I last got stung.

I got really badly stung once, focking AIB shares :)

TbL

Thurs: 4m recovery pace.

Fri: Rest day

Sat Club Session - Furry Glen Hills

Just over a mile down to the end of the Glen, there's 2 hills adjacent to the OS/Furry Glen road intersection - this is where we do our hill work.
    Coach was at pains again to say it wasn't a speed session, nor was it a race (dont know why he was looking at me while saying it :) )
    We done 5k worth of a session - up one, back down, up the other & repeat x 9.
    Felt comfortable until the 3rd/4th rep - then the tiredness set in - when you haven't one hills in a while, it does hurt!

We were all delighted to get this done.
    Brought the dog for a good 90 min walk afterwards - just to reinforce the fact that I had tired legs :)

Sunday: 14 miles at 7:55

A good gang doing this in the PP - pace was a bit slower due to the session yesterday. Good banter going around.
    I heard that Tony Mangan who's doing the world tour is in fact an MSB man.

Last half mile I threw in a 10k pace burst.
    Jaded after that.

Good, if unspectacular, 48 mile week.

Spurs and Dublin both conceding 3 goals - wonder what odds you'd get there.

Following a good 5m race at the end of June, I was expecting big things for the summer.
    Low 17min 5k's and Sub 37 10k's were the expected performances that did not materialise.
    A badly paced 5k in July and a DNS (Dose of Nifty Sh!ts) at the Fingal 10k put a massive dampener on my summer running exploits.

2 weeks holidays and a bout of flu then put any expectation of a good time in the Frank Duffy out of my reach - despite me thinking that it was achievable - it led to a torturous last 3 miles.

Not the Summer that I had wanted.

But enough of the 'woe is me'............

I class this as the start of my season - which runs until next Summer :)
    For September I want to get my training and diet back into some semblance of order.
    I'll have 3-4 good weeks training under my belt approaching the Half Marathon, so I'll be expecting a PB at the very least (1.27) :)

Oct will be spent ensuring I'm match fit for my Marathon pacing debut - I'm a bit worried about my pacing partners, so I'll need to be in some shape.
    I might throw in a park run or 2 during Oct.

Its a bit sad that I'm already sketching out my races & goals for 2015 when we're still 3/4 of the way into 2014 :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

You should plan a race for third Sunday in September - not as if you have anything else on that day! :pac:

Too soon??:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

You looked good tipping along by the Ashtown Gate this afternoon around 5 wearing a blue t-shirt?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭career move

Its a bit sad that I'm already sketching out my races & goals for 2015 when we're still 3/4 of the way into 2014 :P

Is it??? I have all my races mapped out for 2015 as well and a lot of 2016 is done too :)

Is it??? I have all my races mapped out for 2015 as well and a lot of 2016 is done too :)

yeah, but yours involve a bike :p

tang1 wrote: »
    You looked good tipping along by the Ashtown Gate this afternoon around 5 wearing a blue t-shirt?

yep - that was me - I didn't pass you did I? World of my own at that stage!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

yeah, but yours involve a bike :p

And a compass :)

TbL

yep - that was me - I didn't pass you did I? World of my own at that stage!

Stuck in a ditch on a job, you literally ran over me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

tang1 wrote: »
    Stuck in a ditch on a job, you literally ran over me.

Ha! loved that one!

Monday 1st: 6 mile recovery in the PP.
    Calfs and glutes felt very stiff after Saturdayshills, so the 1st 0.5m was possibly at 10 min/mile - no joke.

Settled down a bit after a couple of miles and just kept it easy.
    Should've brought the dog with me, she'd of sniffed out the lurkers in the ditches around Ashtown.

Plenty of stretching and core work following this.

6m @ 8:27 pace.

Tuesday 2nd: 11 miles easy

I really wanted to do a steady run today, but held off as there's a club 10k handicap run on Thursday "The Glen Run" - I'll do it as a long tempo effort rather than a race.

Ran from home to the PP, done a lap of the PP and a bit more, then back home. Felt great on this run. All miles were similar pace and similar effort.
    1st time in ages that I've felt so strong on a run. Hopefully its a sign of returning fitness.

More core work & stretching.

Even my Garmin uploaded on the 1st attempt - its a good day.

11 miles at 7:45 pace.

Wed 3rd: 4m recovery run- 8:38 pace - legs felt tired doing this, not enjoyable - but needed. Some more core afterwards.

Thursday 4th: MSB Glen Race: 10k

This is an internal MSB handicap race on a good tough 10k loop of the PP.
    Participants ranged from 36 min 10k runners to 16 yr olds making their 10k debut. Not sure on numbers but about 30 turned up, some of the older heads were disappointed with the turn out.

My plan was to run it as a tempo run - about 6:10-6:15 pace. I wanted another long tempo run and hoped not to be chicked!!

I got to the startline a bit late - so done a quick 1m run to warm up and was called to start - no time for any strides. It was very warm too - with the car reading 21 degrees.

Some of the others had gone off earlier - I was starting with 2 other blokes that are normally slower than me, much to the surprise of myself and the other faster lads.
    I was told later that my handicap was worked out using my last 10 mile race - which wasn't my finest moment.

The Start/Finish area was half way up the Khyber - made for a fast start and I left the 2 lads for dead, turning left up by the monument and onto Chesterfield.
    1st mile clicked by in 6:05 - a bit fast but the downhill section on the Khyber helped.

During mile 2 I caught the 1st group - I took the opportunity to run with them for a bit and get my pace back down to tempo pace. I left them as we crossed the road at the Aras. Mile 2 in 6:13

One of the guys who I left, came back at me - he's been out injured for a while and this was his return race - he's the club captain and a very serious runner with a strong pedigree. Unfortunately he's also from Donegal :)
    Him coming back at me, made me push a little harder and as we turned onto the Ordnance Survey road, I was still ahead of him.
    Mile 3 was 607 and the 1st 5k was 19:04.

Mile 4 was a nice section approaching the Furry Glen, I caught sight of number of people ahead of me at that stage and heard the guy behind me shouting at me to push on "you can win this" he says :eek: & then the adrenaline started pumping.
    The downhill of the Furry Glen was nice and I passed a couple of people there.
    Mile 4 was 6:01.

On the uphill of the Glen there was a big bunch of our female runners who went out earlier, I went passed them and up the hill, probably a bit too fast and was grateful for the downhill of the Upper Glen Road. Halfway down this road I approached 2 other male runners and passed them. Pace still comfortable as I went through the park opposite St Mary's hospital and approached the S Bends.
    Mile 5 was 6:06 and felt ok due it it being all downhill.

Approaching the 6th mile I wondered if there was anyone in front of me, $hit am I leading this?
    I could make out a big group of people ahead and knew that the group wasn't with us, but maybe there was someone in the group?
    Approaching the S Bends I had a bit of mental fatigue as I hate running up the S Bends!! Much better the other way :)
    But on the bends I got a glimpse of the crowd behind me. The guy in 2nd place (the club captain who was near me earlier) was a good bit behind.
    So at that stage I knew that if there was no one in front of me I had this. Barring a collapse, where I fcuked it up. $hit why did I think of that!!

Going up the S bends an approaching the top of Military hill, I was regretting doing that 11 miler on Tuesday - get those negative thoughts way I was telling myself. I'm not going to fcuk this up.
    Going down Military hill was a joy as I normally race it the other way, I turned left to the Khyber and knew I was nearly there - just that 0.25 climb up the hill.
    Mile 6: 6:07
    As I approached it there was a huge group gathered at the bottom of the hill all shouting and screaming at me - I figured that they had moved the finish line and was just about to stop when someone shouted at me to keep going only 400m left!!
    The crowd were still shouting as I passed, so I figured that someone was behind me so I put in a big burst and kept going. Jesus where was the finish line......
    The final burst at the end 0.22 was at 5:43 pace - delighted to be able to do that at the end of the race, uphill.
    The 2nd 5k was 18:50 - so a negative split for the 10k.
    Took 1st position :D - I had won the race!

My time was 38:04 (6:22 miles) which is a PB for me - delighted with that given how the race felt - plenty there for the taking in my next 10k as I reckon its still a soft PB :)

Delighted with the run - felt that I had not given 100% and still managed to win by 33 seconds (there was no one behind me on the hill).

Went back to the club house and got presented with the trophy and a nice cash prize, "Eamonn Coughlan" was one of the many names on the trophy - so was a tad embarrassed by that.
    No doubt the advantage I had with the handicap was a huge factor in the result, but nice to take a win and not feel totally drained as a result.

Great report, even better racing, well done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Well done.
    Great running......
    felt that I had not given 100% and still managed to win by 33 seconds

....you big gloater :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭career move

Brilliant. Well done :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

Nice one, AMK.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭SamforMayo

Great stuff! Enjoy the celebration.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭dukeraoul

Imagine how much you would have won the Sisters Pearse club race by!!! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

dukeraoul wrote: »
    Imagine how much you would have won the Sisters Pearse club race by!!! ;)

We'd have let him start ten minutes early. Being from MSB is handicap enough :-)

Advertisement