Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The main thing is keeping the main thing, the main thing

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

Well done AMk, fantastic stuff- enjoyed your report too as always.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Nice job. AMK, based on that you deserved your day at the hairdresser :)

TbL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Nice one!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭Bahanaman

Nice to have a "W" to the name!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Well done A. At least the Dubs had one victory over Donegal recently then!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Cleanman

Great going, knew you'd be back in good form very soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Friday: Missed 4m recovery due to work and u14 GAA.

Saturday: MSB Howth Run

Joined the clubmates on one of the most scenic runs that I've ever done. Found trails in Howth that I never knew existed.

Went from Howth harbour across to Sutton side and back around by the cliff.
    At one stage it seemed as if we were going into someones Garden :) , but there was a small gap in between 2 houses to another trail. Then ventured across the golf club......."Fore".....

Good to get the hills into the legs again, one in particular just after the lighthouse was extremely tough.
    Nice pace - stopped a couple of times for photos, so the pace is a bit off (9:14/mile).
    4.5 miles along the cliff face was just fantastic.

Finished off with a nice pace run for the last mile or so - 6:30 pace.
    Good bit of banter and food at the end.
    Nice morning out for it.

7.6 miles.

Sunday: 14m Long Run

Had intended to do 16m today, but time went against me.
    Nice run with the group around the PP - my handicap in the 10k still a good focal point for debate :).

Some quick miles in there tempered the earlier slower miles as we shook yesterdays Howth run out of our legs.

I discovered one of my clubmates is a Boards lurker - I'll need to be careful what I say now :)

Finished out with 14 at 7:45 - legs nicely tired today.
    50 miles this week for the 1st time since March. Some real good quality in there as well

If only the HM was on 3 weeks later than it is - I'd be in great shape!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭MisterDrak

Great race report AMK, your flying at the moment. 38 min 10K tempo WTF...

I'v also done that Howth run, with the good weather at the moment, the cliff path is epic stuff....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭PaulieC

Friday: Missed 4m recovery due to work and u14 GAA.

Saturday: MSB Howth Run

Joined the clubmates on one of the most scenic runs that I've ever done. Found trails in Howth that I never knew existed.

Went from Howth harbour across to Sutton side and back around by the cliff.
    At one stage it seemed as if we were going into someones Garden :) , but there was a small gap in between 2 houses to another trail. Then ventured across the golf club......."Fore".....

Good to get the hills into the legs again, one in particular just after the lighthouse was extremely tough.
    Nice pace - stopped a couple of times for photos, so the pace is a bit off (9:14/mile).
    4.5 miles along the cliff face was just fantastic.

Finished off with a nice pace run for the last mile or so - 6:30 pace.
    Good bit of banter and food at the end.
    Nice morning out for it.

7.6 miles.

Was this the purple route ?

• Advertisement

think so - there were a few pole markers with purple arrows on them??

But I was just following people!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭PaulieC

But I was just following people!!

so the 10k win was a one off ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

A boards congrats on the 10km win! great feeling!

Monday: 4 miles recovery with the dog in the PP.
    It was her 2nd outing of the day - she's done more doubles than me so.

Also done some core and some yoga strength & conditioning

Was breaking in a new pair of DS Racers. The ST5's were nearing the end of the life - so got a pair to rotate with them. Like the feel of them.

I also got another pair of Saucony Guide 7's - tried on a few different pairs of NB, Adidas, Mizuno but the Sauconys felt very comfortable (its what I have now and they've 550+ miles on them and still good for another 100 at least.
    AK must love to see me coming - although Kev was feeling generous and I had some winnings to splurge..........

2 new pairs of runners in - 3 pairs retired. Mrs AMK is happy as she thinks she can also go and buy 2 pairs of shoes. :pac:
    in fairness - even if I didn't buy runners, she'd still buy new shoes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭career move

I want a pair of DS racers. They're going to be my next purchase. I got a pair of Brooks T7 racers the last time I was in AK and they're lovely too. I wore them for the 4m race in tinryland :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

A,

The maths don't add up your still in negative runner balance. There is a simple equation to solve that

Like DS Racers + Like Feel of Saucony = Saucony Fastwitch ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

I want a pair of DS racers. They're going to be my next purchase. I got a pair of Brooks T7 racers the last time I was in AK and they're lovely too. I wore them for the 4m race in tinryland :)

Have you tried the DS racers on? I can wear the DS Trainers but just can't get my feet into the Racers as they are too narrow.... You know what they say about people with big feet....

Big shoes! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭career move

digger2d2 wrote: »
    Have you tried the DS racers on? I can wear the DS Trainers but just can't get my feet into the Racers as they are too narrow.... You know what they say about people with big feet....

Big shoes! ;)

Good to know thanks. I'll try before I buy :)

ecoli wrote: »
    A,

The maths don't add up your still in negative runner balance. There is a simple equation to solve that

Like DS Racers + Like Feel of Saucony = Saucony Fastwitch ;)

Tried the fastwitch on but prefered the DS Racers - weird but true!
    Maybe I'll get them next week. When wifey forgets.

digger2d2 wrote: »

Big shoes! ;)

Its the cross that we carry Digger........ :p

Tuesday 9th: 4x2m Tempo (2min 30sec rec)

As our club track sessions are back on Wednesday, I was unsure which session to do - A 4x2m tempo or a faster interval session as I've done little speed work in a good few weeks.

I settled on doing the tempo session and then maybe doing some 200's later in the week.

I new the legs would be still tired from last weekends exertions and doing this on Wednesday would be better. But I wanted to get the final hard tempo session done with plenty of time to spare before the half.

A 1 mile warm up brought me to the Castleknock gate in the PP and I set off on the 1st 2m rep.

Rep 1: 12.13 faster than planned down the North road - holy merde - how would I do 3 more of these.

Rep 2: 12:18 Up Chesterfield, across the OS road and down the upper glen road. The downhills are great!

Rep 3: 12:18 This rep was done mostly on the 15 Acres - the last 800m into a headwind - felt like a gale :o - At the end I told myself that was it. No more.

Rep 4: 12:27 Having sat for 2 mins on a bench contemplating if I should do this rep, I said I'd do a mile at 6:30 pace and see how I felt. Back up chesterfield, across the Furze and up the OS road - 2 miles later I finished :) Mind games are amazing. While this rep was slower than the others, it was possibly closer to my target tempo pace of 6:15 per mile.

Done a 1.7m cool down.

Delighted with this session - there was a time where I struggled with mile reps, never mind 2 mile reps, so very happy with how this went.

Never liked tempos too much before this training cycle and didn't really include them in my training. I see that changing as the next 'main thing' approaches.

11.25 miles @ 7.19

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

What is the next 'main thing'?

yaboya1 wrote: »

I'll be compiling a list of your PB's and tackling them 1 by 1......:pac:

No - I have lofty ambitions of sub 60 in Dungarvan, but that's a bit away yet :)

You got there before me!:P

Edit: So did the aul man

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

I'll be compiling a list of your PB's and tackling them 1 by 1......:pac:

No - I have lofty ambitions of sub 60 in Dungarvan, but that's a bit away yet :)

:D

Sub 60 is a fair way below my 10 mile PB.
    Hoping to have a go at that one myself. The most difficult of the long distance 10 round numbers imo.

:D

Sub 60 is a fair way below my 10 mile PB.
    Hoping to have a go at that one myself. The most difficult of the long distance 10 round numbers imo.

I never said which year :D

I never said which year :D

You'll surely have to do it next year or you'll have some serious aul man record in your name......they say breaking your age (in minutes) for the 10 mile is a serious achievement once you hit golden oldie territory:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Solid session AMK

Those 2 mile tempos are a bitch alright.

I'll be in Dublin again next week if you're around we could get ourselves locked into the Papal Cross car park :) I'll give you some notice.

TbL

Solid session AMK

Those 2 mile tempos are a bitch alright.

I'll be in Dublin again next week if you're around we could get ourselves locked into the Papal Cross car park :) I'll give you some notice.

TbL

Cool, I might even make a trip up the Khyber and then onto the furry Glen ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Cool, I might even make a trip up the Khyber and then onto the furry Glen ;)

I'm up in that sh!thole the following Wednesday if you fancy a bit of variety???

• Advertisement

Gavlor wrote: »
    I'm up in that sh!thole the following Wednesday if you fancy a bit of variety???

That might just work. Drop me a text.

Advertisement