Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The main thing is keeping the main thing, the main thing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Gavlor wrote: »
    I'm up in that sh!thole the following Wednesday if you fancy a bit of variety???

:D ... From one sh!thole to another so! I thought you wanted variety!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

I'm up in that sh!thole the following Wednesday if you fancy a bit of variety???
    That might just work. Drop me a text.

TbL may be usurped as the boards running slut :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Gavlor

blockic wrote: »
    :D ... From one sh!thole to another so! I thought you wanted variety!

Are you referring to yourself and amks rear ends????????

Oh sailor

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Are you referring to yourself and amks rear ends????????

Well they are the only thing you will be seeing during any race in the future anyway..so get used to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Cleanman

This is like RK's log where he does a session and then there are 3 pages of bullsh!t talk......great session by the way RK;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Cleanman wrote: »
    This is like RK's log where he does a session and then there are 3 pages of bullsh!t talk......great session by the way RK;)

I miss those days ........

Wednesday: 4.7m recovery @ 8:27 pm - legs didn't get going til the last half mile of so - the 4x2 took a lot out of me.

Thursday 11th:
    Done this early - due to working arrangements I'm going to have to get a few early morning runs in. So up bright and early and set off just after sunrise for a 9am run in the PP :pac: :D

A slowish 1st mile (8:30) then picked up to a few good steady miles progressing to 6:45 for a mile, before slowing it down again in the last mile.

7.5 miles @ 7:34

The sun must rise later in the PP than the rest of Dublin :pac::pac:

Friday: Rest day - No running. 30 mins core work and about 15-20 mins on the foam roller.

Saturday: Club session - 4x1500 (5k pace) with 2 mins rec

2.25m warm up down to the area in front of the Papal Cross in the PP - theres a few trails there that our coach has measured (to the inch it seems :) ).
    He was considering 2k reps but changed it to 1500's.

Pace wise - he left it open to us as there were 3 different groups going off - I was considering going with a slower group and complete them at just over tempo pace - but felt I had enough tempo sessions in the legs and decided to go with the last group for a good lung busting session.
    We done the usual 5-6 strides as part of the warm up.

Rep 1: 5:02 - 1st time running at this pace in a while - took a while for the lungs to get going!
    Rep 2: 5:05 - felt better - went in opposite direction this time.
    Rep 3: 5:03 - Actually felt great on this lap - lungs and breathing were in control.
    Rep 4: 5:05 - Another change of direction - Finished strong.

Pace was it was 5:35-5:40 - so a bit faster than 5k pace.
    All recoveries were 2 mins standing recovery. (anyone lying down or even standing with hands on legs gets shouted at by the coach - 'keep the lungs open'.

1.5m cool down

Enjoyed that session - really needed that sort of a run as haven't ran a session like that since early August (5x1km)

7.4 miles @ 7.29 pace

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭KielyUnusual

Friday: Rest day - No running. 30 mins core work and about 15-20 mins on the foam roller.

Saturday: Club session - 4x1500 (5k pace) with 2 mins rec

2.25m warm up down to the area in front of the Papal Cross in the PP - theres a few trails there that our coach has measured (to the inch it seems :) ).
    He was considering 2k reps but changed it to 1500's.

Pace wise - he left it open to us as there were 3 different groups going off - I was considering going with a slower group and complete them at just over tempo pace - but felt I had enough tempo sessions in the legs and decided to go with the last group for a good lung busting session.
    We done the usual 5-6 strides as part of the warm up.

Rep 1: 5:02 - 1st time running at this pace in a while - took a while for the lungs to get going!
    Rep 2: 5:05 - felt better - went in opposite direction this time.
    Rep 3: 5:03 - Actually felt great on this lap - lungs and breathing were in control.
    Rep 4: 5:05 - Another change of direction - Finished strong.

Pace was it was 5:35-5:40 - so a bit faster than 5k pace.
    All recoveries were 2 mins standing recovery. (anyone lying down or even standing with hands on legs gets shouted at by the coach - 'keep the lungs open'.

1.5m cool down

Enjoyed that session - really needed that sort of a run as haven't ran a session like that since early August (5x1km)

7.4 miles @ 7.29 pace

Were ye feckers not having some sort of club race around the Acres in Phoenix Park this morning?

Good session by the way.

• Advertisement

Were ye feckers not having some sort of club race around the Acres in Phoenix Park this morning?

Good session by the way.

Not us, we had our club race 2 weeks ago, did I not mention I won it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭KielyUnusual

Not us, we had our club race 2 weeks ago, did I not mention I won it :D

Definitely an MSB race around the Acres this morning. Maybe they conveniently forgot to invite you so that someone else would have a chance of winning it. :)

Great session but 5:40 pace is a 17:40ish 5k time. That's well within your reach.

Cleanman wrote: »
    Great session but 5:40 pace is a 17:40ish 5k time. That's well within your reach.

Yeah, I just haven't done it yet :)

Sunday: Up early for this - very foggy out. Met a couple of lads at 7:45 in PP for a few miles before joining up with the rest of the group an hour later.
    Was happy to keep the pace around 8:00 min/miles - legs felt good - tired, but good - towards the end of the run.
    Great to be home and have had breakfast by 10:30am.
    Happy with how training is going right now (but I'd still like another couple of weeks before the half :) )

Wont do too many miles this coming week with the HM in mind on Saturday. Plan to run most days, but just 4-6m easy with strides or a couple of miles at HM pace.

16:07 miles @ 7:58.

51 miles for the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Seen as you mentioned critiquing of plans on CL's logs ;), I think you need to be slightly more careful with your pacing on your 5k paced sessions (and other speed sessions). As you've said, you should be running 5.40's in a 5k race but you've yet to do it and at this moment in time 5.35-40 is not your 5k pace. You have done some savage sessions over the summer (I seem to remember some very quick 400's) but I hope it's fair to say that you haven't yet replicated that training in a shorter race? Race results not replicating training is always a warning factor or something being out of line in your training.

Please correct me on any of this if you feel I have it wrong, but it's just something I've noted in your log over the last while. Let's discuss! :pac:

Good to get the question.
    The question of pacing has been on my mind too - not specifically on yesterdays session but since I joined the club. At one stage I was questioning the wisdom of joining a club, specifically for that reason.

Before joining the club, my typical sessions would be controlled at the required pace (5k / 10k etc) - more so in my AMK days than my RK days :)
    Since joining the club my intensity has increased a lot - The coach we have is very old school - he doesn't read Daniels, P&F etc but would be more of a Steve Jones type of guy :)

He wants us doing the 400's / 800's consistent - if our last 2 are at same pace as the rest - then all is well in his book.
    The 5x1km reps from the summer he wanted them done at 2m/3k pace - so I think that was ok.

Any talk about vDots & "Jack Daniels specifies........" would not go down well.
    But you are right, I haven't converted that into a good 5k time......just yet. But I've only done 1 since I joined the club and suffered going out too hard in the 1st mile.

The session yesterday was 1500's and as we were only doing 4 of them, I pondered the benefit I'd get from doing them at HM pace or even 10k pace. Had we of been doing 6-8 reps, then the pace would have been adjusted.

What is interesting is that the coach reckons that some of us don't try hard enough in races - he thinks we look too comfortable and are afraid to have a little pain in the race.
    He encourages us to make the sessions like the race - the first few are settling in, the middle few are about passing people and gaining strength and the last few are a grind. That's the philosophy he brings to our training - all while keeping the reps consistent.

Now - summing it all up, do I feel I've developed as a runner since joining a club in May??
    Well - I'm only happy with one race I've done - the 5m Race Series - the 5k and 10m were disasters.

Could I have done sub 30 without the benefit of joining a club? Yes - definitely.
    So in all honesty, from a racing perspective, I don't feel I've benefited too much just yet from quicker intensities at club sessions.

But I feel much more comfortable at the thought of training hard or doing a hard session - some reps used to scare the $hit out of me when I seen them (I recall a debate on mile reps last year) but not any more.

Another thing worth calling out here are the thoughts you get while training - for example;
    I know that at times I've ran a quick first rep - and then vowed to hold that pace for later reps rather than slow down and "show myself up by slowing down" - when in hindsight, the only person who would know that I'm slowing down are myself and the readers of this log when I post the splits. So that's silly games that I need to watch for.

Then again - I've read on other more experienced logs that on certain days you want to have a good 'blow out' (........expecting Diggers FYP anytime soon.....) for a good V02Max session.

It would be an interesting experiment to spend a few months comparing the speed sessions to the 'conventional wisdom' of vDot / McMillan etc.

Thanks - Good question.

Woke up with a sore leg - calf & hammy, both right leg. hhhmmmmm

Mon: 4m recovery - 9min/miles - stopped to stretch half way through. Foam rolling, Ice, nurofen & compression the order of the night.

Tues: Went to my Sports Therapist and got a good work over on the legs & back. Both Hamstrings are tight and is the cause of the calf issue.
    As I run with her a lot, she knows my posture and says that I run too 'upright' and that puts a lot of pressure on the lower back and the hammys.
    Then she stuck a few needles in me............ ouch. Nice lady......really.

Stretching, Ice & nurofen.

Wednesday Leg much better, but still tender from the work done to it.
    Went out for 6 miles and the leg felt better by the end of the run.

I was knackered running at 7:45 pace though :( - thought about Yaboyas post yesterday on running these general aerobic runs.

More foam rolling and stretching tonight - more ice.

Might take another rest day tomorrow, just in case.

she knows my posture and says that I run too 'upright' and that puts a lot of pressure on the lower back and the hammys.

I've only ever seen you run once and it was 4.9k into a 5k race. Weirdly, the same thought came into my head. You almost looked like you were leaning back! I thought maybe it was overcompensation cos you were so fcuked but most people lean forward, right?!? I don't think that having a natural upright position is a bad thing but maybe it's something to think about - the whole snipper episode in Manchester also comes to mind.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Tues: Went to my Sports Therapist and got a good work over on the legs & back. Both Hamstrings are tight and is the cause of the calf issue.
    As I run with her a lot, she knows my posture and says that I run too 'upright' and that puts a lot of pressure on the lower back and the hammys.
    Then she stuck a few needles in me............ ouch. Nice lady......really.

Less time on the pec deck and trying to show off man told you that before :P

(All jokes aside) K knows here stuff with posture and said something similar to me me training before (and wasn't the first therapist to do so) pay particular attention to working on it and you may surprise yourself as can impact your erector spinae (digger and Gavlor should have a field day with that one) and improve your overall breathing/ ability to breath while running

• Advertisement

Race Series Half Marathon

Despite me feeling very confident at the start of a 1:23 finish, my race finished just after the 5 mile mark when my right thigh (I'd say hamstring, but it didn't feel like a hammy - but was in that general area) and my calf started acting up.
    Felt it initially at the North road about 4 miles in (just as the adrenaline was leaving me :) ) and gave it a mile to see if it would improve.

It didn't improve, so I stepped out just before we entered Farmliegh.
    I was using Raycun as a pacer from the start til I dropped out (- so Ray your 2 missing miles were 6:08 / 6:20 ;) )

I was going to jump back in with the 1:40 pace group for the craic, but would've got nothing from that only the possibility of 2-3 weeks out.

Great to see so many Boardsies- I think RFR is my new stalker and I think I heard Gavlor say that he was happy BB was there to pace him to pace the others :)

So - I could think of this summer as being a total write off as from 5 races I had 1 good 'time' that I was happy with but I did get prizes in 3/5 races - so not a bad return overall - also got a new found love for tempo runs :)

I'll take it handy for the next couple of weeks, I plan to pace Athlone 3/4 and DCM and have a good training plan kicking in from November - but no races lined up for the coming few months. Must fix that.

Onwards and upwards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

The other AMK ran 1:27; I wasn't sure if that was you or your Balbriggan namesake.
    Unlucky, hopefully it's nothing too serious.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,625 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Unlucky today You could always do Seville in Feb with me!

TbL

Sorry it didn't go so well today AMK. If it's any consolation, you've been installed as favourite for the real marathon in McGrattans next month. Beef wants to have his life savings on, having seen you in post-marathon action in Manchester :)

Meant to add, highlight of my day was shaking Mr Stews hand. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Gavlor

yaboya1 wrote: »
    Sorry it didn't go so well today AMK. If it's any consolation, you've been installed as favourite for the real marathon in McGrattans next month. Beef wants to have his life savings on, having seen you in post-marathon action in Manchester :)

It has been confirmed that Mrs G won't be accompanying me to this years dcm..... I'll see beefs life savings and raise it a euro millions ticket.....

It has been confirmed that Mrs G won't be accompanying me to this years dcm..... I'll see beefs life savings and raise it a euro millions ticket.....

By my form, either I'll not finish or you'll be 2 sips ahead of me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Sorry to hear of your woes A. It's an awful thing to have to pull out of a race. I know it nearly killed me in the FD 10 but we both did the right thing.

Hope it heals quickly and heals well. I'm in a very weird place right now. No DCM and find myself shouting for Kerry in an All-ireland Final..you the same?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭dukeraoul

Tough break AMK. I can totally empathise- DNF's aint fun... just rest up, get better and get back at it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,195 ✭✭✭PaulieC

AMK, do you think your pretty big step up in times and training this year would have led to your disappointment at your results ? I.e. Did you ramp up too fast ?

Advertisement