Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The main thing is keeping the main thing, the main thing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

PaulieC wrote: »
    AMK, do you think your pretty big step up in times and training this year would have led to your disappointment at your results ? I.e. Did you ramp up too fast ?

Its more so that I trained hard for a 10k in July and got sick and then put in some decent training recently for this HM and got injured - thats what I meant about a 'write off' as these were 2 of my goal races.

Regarding results - I think though that its a question of seconds..............getting under 18 for 5k (18:11 PB) and 38 for 10k (38:04 pb) was the goal for the summer and should have been achievable by now - but theres still time this year.

Might not race a 10k again this year, but there'll be plenty of 5k's to set that part right. And I've still got some soft PB's for 2015 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

Its more so that I trained hard for a 10k in July and got sick and then put in some decent training recently for this HM and got injured - thats what I meant about a 'write off' as these were 2 of my goal races.

Regarding results - I think though that its a question of seconds..............getting under 18 for 5k (18:11 PB) and 38 for 10k (38:04 pb) was the goal for the summer and should have been achievable by now - but theres still time this year.

Might not race a 10k again this year, but there'll be plenty of 5k's to set that part right. And I've still got some soft PB's for 2015 :)

The flattest parkrun in the country in St Anne's will be ready and waiting for you any Saturday morning that want to give that sub 18 a go :pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭MisterDrak

Tough luck A, you looked in great shape at the start of the race.
    Been through plenty of my own running woes over the years, but you always come back... Chin up...

MisterDrak wrote: »
    Tough luck A, you looked in great shape at the start of the race.
    Been through plenty of my own running woes over the years, but you always come back... Chin up...

and you didn't believe me when I said I had a niggle at the start :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,625 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

FBOT01 wrote: »
    The flattest parkrun in the country in St Anne's will be ready and waiting for you any Saturday morning that want to give that sub 18 a go :pac::pac:

Statler,

do they hold these parkruns in St Anne's all year round?

Tnx,

TbL

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Statler,

do they hold these parkruns in St Anne's all year round?

Tnx,

TbL

Every Saturday at 9:30am all year round.
    You thinking of giving it a go?

yaboya1 wrote: »
    Every Saturday at 9:30am all year round.
    You thinking of giving it a go?

Definitely, but probably not till after Amsterdam. My eldest daughter wants to do one so might do it in tandem with a weekend in the big smoke

TbL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Definitely, but probably not till after Amsterdam. My eldest daughter wants to do one so might do it in tandem with a weekend in the big smoke

TbL

FYP :D

ecoli wrote: »
    FYP :D

So you've changed your mind about me racing one of the MCI marathons the weekend before Amsterdam :)

TbL

So you've changed your mind about me racing one of the MCI marathons the weekend before Amsterdam :)

TbL

Organiser's were fearful so some dodgy agent dealings meant that I was bought for you to take a dive :P

• Advertisement

Sunday: No running. Done a couple of sets of calf raises.

Monday: No Running - done a good 30 min workout (Gorilla Workout App) that included squats, lunges and calf raises.
    Felt great at the time.

The part of my calf that was tender last week no longer felt tender. The hammy area felt ok.

Tuesday: DOMS central. Legs in a jock. Muscles I didn't know I had were sore. Damn squats.
    Chanced a slow recovery run (I know....I know......).

Took a mile to get going due to the leg workout and wasn't sure if I was sore from the injury or the workout (damn you RK) - but as the run went on I felt better. Kept it slow and finished 6:3 miles at 8:55 pace.

Another workout tonight, but this was focused on the back and upper body.

Had 2 inquiries for a run on Wednesday but due to U14 football had to turn them both down - sorry lads, apart from your bad BO, its nothing personal :)

Definitely very easy running for me for the rest of the week.

U14 match tonight, we were 12 points down after 15 mins, but came back to win by 1 point !! Delighted.

Went out for a run in the dark, 1st one this training cycle. Still not 100%, but managed 5.5 miles @ 8:15 pace.
    Inside my thighs felt like a shredded cheese string from Mondays lunges.

Wore the skechers 'go ride', which is a great name, almost like an order :)
    Nice and light with plenty of cushioning as I was mainly on paths and roads.

4 sets of:
    10 squat thrusts
    10 push ups
    30 sec plank
    15 calf raises.

U14 match tonight, we were 12 points down after 15 mins, but came back to win by 1 point !! Delighted.

Went out for a run in the dark, 1st one this training cycle. Still not 100%, but managed 5.5 miles @ 8:15 pace.
    Inside my thighs felt like a shredded cheese string from Mondays lunges.

Wore the skechers 'go ride', which is a great name, almost like an order :)
    Nice and light with plenty of cushioning as I was mainly on paths and roads.

4 sets of:
    10 squat thrusts
    10 push ups
    30 sec plank
    15 calf raises.

See St. B's are still playing "bangers" How many you score? shame on you :P

ecoli wrote: »
    See St. B's are still playing "bangers" How many you score? shame on you :P

They are a shambles alright - thank God its Castleknock GAA that I play with :)

And the girls team as well

They are a shambles alright - thank God its Castleknock GAA that I play with :)

And the girls team as well

Haha my cartography skills appear to be off :o

Thursday: An hour of GAA training with the girls (I'm such a hard task master), then 6 miles @ 9min/miles down to PP and back - took it handy as didn't want to push 3 days in a row. As I cant run Fri or Sunday, I went tonight rather than an advised rest day.

Leg felt better yesterday than today - so a lot of stretching and in ice. Rest day tomorrow.

4 sets of:
    15 Bird Dogs (yes, thats whats its called)
    15 alternative heel touches.

Didn't want to do them, but happy I did.

If anyone is bothered to watch the Ladies All Ireland Final on Sunday, you might just see me behind one of the goals as my team was picked to be ball girls behind the goals. I'll be looking after them, of course and NOT waving at the camera.........

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

If anyone is bothered to watch the Ladies All Ireland Final on Sunday, you might just see me behind one of the goals as my team was picked to be ball girls behind the goals. I'll be looking after them, of course and NOT waving at the camera.........

Bring ear plugs. It will be just like a One Direction concert with all the screaming!

Friday: Rest day from running - but kept the exercises going.
    6 sets of:
    10 Standing calf raises
    10 leg raises
    10 push ups

Bought a new foam roller as the firmness was gone from the old one. Bought one with 'stuff' i.e. grids and indentations on it. Lovely.
    Spent a good 20 mins on it.

The last time I was this dedicated to exercises and foam rolling was the last time I was injured. A lesson here methinks.

Saturday: Up early enough for a long run - up at 7:45 - out by 8. Only took a smoothie for breakfast.

I had just started out a mile or 2 when Raycun comes bombing past me (story of my life :) ) - I was glad he kept going as my pace at that stage was 9 min/miles or slower.
    Got into it after a few miles and was kept company by the boys at Marathon Talk, Sean Moncrief and the Jumping the gun lads.
    Was interested in the JTG lads comments on the Charlville HM in Cork - the mentioned that it was won by the "former drug cheat".......then they moved on - may be a true statement, but thought it was a very cheap shot and really cheapened what is a very good Irish Athletics podcast. I still think the Dukes report on the mile in Sligo was better than FK's report on the same show :).

Anyway, back to my mundane run :) - found that after the 8-9 mile mark, I perked up a lot, maybe I had just woken up, maybe the sun was out and the birds were chirpin', maybe he leg wasn't at me............but I was enjoying it and it brought me back to my lonesome training for Manchester. This made me do a loop of the war memorial gardens and the long path way, watching the rowers, before turning back in the opposite direction.
    The last 2 miles I felt I was flagging a bit, so I ran faster - from an average of 8:35 per mile for 15 miles up to 8:00 min miles - (a real speed merchant is me)

Delighted to get this done, with no ill effects from the leg. Longest run since Manchester.
    Will keep the easy running next week as well - looking good for the pacing gig in Athlone.

17m at 8:26 (2hr 23 min)

Sunday: In Croke Park all day watching 3 Ladies finals. Class day. No running / No exercises

Monday: Nice loop of the trails in the PP - started off slow and found a nice rhythm. Once the leg warmed up, it felt fine.
    Pace naturally quickened and was surprised afterwards to find the final 3 @ 7:30 pace with no ill effects.
    I had foam rolled before the run - may have helped.

7.38 miles @ 7:52 pace. Happy with that.

Home to more foam rolling and more exercises.

4 sets of 20 Squats
    2 sets of 10 lunges
    2 sets of calf raises
    4 sets of 10 push ups.

More physio on Tuesday - just to be on the safe side.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Friday: Rest day from running - but kept the exercises going.
    6 sets of:
    10 Standing calf raises
    10 leg raises
    10 push ups

Bought a new foam roller as the firmness was gone from the old one. Bought one with 'stuff' i.e. grids and indentations on it. Lovely.
    Spent a good 20 mins on it.

The last time I was this dedicated to exercises and foam rolling was the last time I was injured. A lesson here methinks.

Saturday: Up early enough for a long run - up at 7:45 - out by 8. Only took a smoothie for breakfast.

I had just started out a mile or 2 when Raycun comes bombing past me (story of my life :) ) - I was glad he kept going as my pace at that stage was 9 min/miles or slower.
    Got into it after a few miles and was kept company by the boys at Marathon Talk, Sean Moncrief and the Jumping the gun lads.
    Was interested in the JTG lads comments on the Charlville HM in Cork - the mentioned that it was won by the "former drug cheat".......then they moved on - may be a true statement, but thought it was a very cheap shot and really cheapened what is a very good Irish Athletics podcast. I still think the Dukes report on the mile in Sligo was better than FK's report on the same show :).

Anyway, back to my mundane run :) - found that after the 8-9 mile mark, I perked up a lot, maybe I had just woken up, maybe the sun was out and the birds were chirpin', maybe he leg wasn't at me............but I was enjoying it and it brought me back to my lonesome training for Manchester. This made me do a loop of the war memorial gardens and the long path way, watching the rowers, before turning back in the opposite direction.
    The last 2 miles I felt I was flagging a bit, so I ran faster - from an average of 8:35 per mile for 15 miles up to 8:00 min miles - (a real speed merchant is me)

Delighted to get this done, with no ill effects from the leg. Longest run since Manchester.
    Will keep the easy running next week as well - looking good for the pacing gig in Athlone.

17m at 8:26 (2hr 23 min)

How did you find running at that slower pace? I set out for my 19 miler today planning to do the same, finished with an average of 7.30 :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Gavlor wrote: »
    How did you find running at that slower pace? I set out for my 19 miler today planning to do the same, finished with an average of 7.30 :(

FFS 8:25 is my top end pace these days. So I'll be blowing out my arse and you'll be 10 minutes up at half way.
    I hope AMK can hold this 3:40 group together :pac:

menoscemo wrote: »
    FFS 8:25 is my top end pace these days. So I'll be blowing out my arse and you'll be 10 minutes up at half way.
    I hope AMK can hold this 3:40 group together :pac:

Haha, we'll be grand. You take some epo and I'll have a feed of beer the night before the mara!

Actually, being "kinda injured" (typical runner speak) suits me right now as I dont want to push the pace too much.
    But I found that once I settled into a pace, I was grand.

I did find it very monotonous though - at least if you are pushing it a bit, you feel different mentally - rather than feeling that its a little bit of a slog.
    Over the past 2 weeks (slow running) I was actually worried at one stage that my running form would disintegrate totally and my body would adapt to running slow and as a result I'd never be able to run fast again.........just like Meno. :p

Over the past 2 weeks (slow running) I was actually worried at one stage that my running form would disintegrate totally and my body would adapt to running slow and as a result I'd never be able to run fast again.........just like Meno. :p

Dude, when have you ever ran fast????? :D:D

ok, maybe I smiled at that, just a little ........b'stard.

Just realised another thing, you two guys are always liable to have a hamstring cramp with a mile to go aren't you? :D Despite my lack of pace I might be the most reliable pacer on the day (though in saying that my Hamstring cramped with 3 miles to go pacing 3:40 last year- a few hairy moments I must say :pac:)

Gavlor, a message from TRR for you. Tallaght are planning a group trip down to Waterford on December 6th, so put the date in the diary and get your visa organised for the night ;)

Just realised another thing, you two guys are always liable to have a hamstring cramp with a mile to go aren't you? :D Despite my lack of pace I might be the most reliable pacer on the day (though in saying that my Hamstring cramped with 3 miles to go pacing 3:40 last year- a few hairy moments I must say :pac:)

Gavlor, a message from TRR for you. Tallaght are planning a group trip down to Waterford on December 6th, so put the date in the diary and get your visa organised for the night ;)

Sound, I'll put away the good crystal :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Is TRR still doing DCM?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Sound, I'll put away the good crystal :D

Does everyone in Waterford have loads of crystal?

• Advertisement

Ososlo wrote: »
    Is TRR still doing DCM?

Sure aren't you his sister? ask him yourself :p

Advertisement