Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The main thing is keeping the main thing, the main thing

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

menoscemo wrote: »
    Sure aren't you his sister? ask him yourself :p

yeah you'd think I'd know. We've grown apart of late:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Ososlo wrote: »
    yeah you'd think I'd know. We've grown apart of late:(

I'm not sure tbh, I think not due to injury hanging on too long.

menoscemo wrote: »
    I'm not sure tbh, I think not due to injury hanging on too long.

That's a shame.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Ososlo wrote: »
    Does everyone in Waterford have loads of crystal?

Crystal, rayban sunnies and hasbro toys.

Santa only delivers hasbro stuff to waterfords kids

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Tuesday: 1 hour physio with the Queen of pain :) - she found some very tender points at the top of my hamstring that was giving referred pain to my calf. Fingers, elbows and needles all got stuck in.
    Glutes weren't great either.

6.5m at 8:05 pace around the trails on the PP - including a 9:15 mile and one 7:05 mile :)
    I find that running at a good 'steady' pace, the legs feel great, maybe the hammys are getting a good stretching at that pace once warmed up???

Home to 3 sets of;
    30 Squat thrusts
    15 Supermen
    5 pull ups (didn't do these as I dont have a pull up bar)

Legs tired after the squat thrusts - my God - give me a 5k any day.....maybe not.

As I haven't ran faster than tempo pace in the last 2.5 weeks, I'm thinking* of keeping the easy running going until after DCM, to do proper base building - maybe building in some short speedwork and short tempos in the final 2 weeks so when I get to my 10 mile plan in November - I should have a very solid base.

That being said, I might just take a fancy and go off and do a Park run or BHAA race in the coming few weeks :)

*'Thinking' means I haven't decided, so if you do read about me doing a race soon - its ok. I swear.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Tuesday: 1 hour physio with the Queen of pain :) - she found some very tender points at the top of my hamstring that was giving referred pain to my calf. Fingers, elbows and needles all got stuck in.
    Glutes weren't great either.

6.5m at 8:05 pace around the trails on the PP - including a 9:15 mile and one 7:05 mile :)
    I find that running at a good 'steady' pace, the legs feel great, maybe the hammys are getting a good stretching at that pace once warmed up???

Home to 3 sets of;
    30 Squat thrusts
    15 Supermen
    5 pull ups (didn't do these as I dont have a pull up bar)

Legs tired after the squat thrusts - my God - give me a 5k any day.....maybe not.

As I haven't ran faster than tempo pace in the last 2.5 weeks, I'm thinking* of keeping the easy running going until after DCM, to do proper base building - maybe building in some short speedwork and short tempos in the final 2 weeks so when I get to my 10 mile plan in November - I should have a very solid base.

That being said, I might just take a fancy and go off and do a Park run or BHAA race in the coming few weeks :)

*'Thinking' means I haven't decided, so if you do read about me doing a race soon - its ok. I swear.

Ahmed said they didn't look too bad in the backless leather chaps he sold you :)

We should hook up soon!

TbL

Wednesday: Busy at work, had a recovery run planned, but needed a few more miles to clear the head, swapped some days about.

Similar pattern to the previous runs, very slow start (2x9 min miles) and pick it up - I love those miles where your just on the edge, holding it steady and you feel like you can go on for ever..............or 2-3 miles in my case :).

8.6 miles @ 7:55.

8 sets of:
    15 Squats
    10 Push ups.

Reckon I'll need new quads tomorrow.

Thinking of buying a Garmin 220 - any opinions on them??

Thanks for the opinions.....no really.... :)

Friday: Manky weather - wouldn't bring a dog out in that.......

So off we popped, me & my dog to the PP in the lashings of rain.
    After a min I was as wet as I was going to get - so settled into it.

Took a mile to get the leg fully comfortable, but was grand again after that.
    Didn't up the pace at all and kept it slow to get used to the pace for Athlone on Sunday.

6.1 miles @ 8:25 pace.

3x 1min plank

2x 15 sec Raised Side planks

2 x 20 calf raises (on stairs) (with heavy backpack!)

Foam rolled the legs - Bought a big training sliothar on the advice of my ST - rolling the top of my Hammy on it during the evening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭dukeraoul

Thanks for the opinions.....no really.....

If give ya one but I have the 210!

• Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭Bulmers74

I suppose it depends what you're comparing it against. I've been using the 220 for 6 months and am very happy with it having used the Forerunner 10 prior to that. With the Fr10 I couldn't send workouts to the watch so this was the main reason I got the 220. Got the HR strap with it but have yet to use it. A lot faster than the FR10 at picking up signal. Probably has a lot more functionalities that I will never use but others may be able to go into the more detailed spec.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭TRR_the_turd

Just catching back up with you log AMK. I read something about a leather g-string and decided not to delve further back into the log? Have you been getting any long runs in for DCM? What's the longterm plan?

Just catching back up with you log AMK. I read something about a leather g-string and decided not to delve further back into the log? Have you been getting any long runs in for DCM? What's the longterm plan?

I've a slight niggle from the top of the hamstring, only concerns me on the first mile of a run.

I've done a couple 16/17 miles and am pacing Athlone on Sunday at the same pace as DCM - I plan a 20/22 next weekend.
    The pace is grand, so confident enough of the DCM gig.

I start a new training plan after DCM geared towards Dungarvan 10 and Bohermeen HM - loosely based on something Larry Brent pulled together in a previous thread.
    No firm plans for a Spring Marathon - but am considering Rotterdam. Might leave it for another year though.

So - the last few weeks & next few weeks is just easy running - partially due to the little niggle and partially due to me wanting to build a decent base before the harder training starts.

Saturday: Mix up with herself - no running, but an enjoyable day none the less!!

Sunday: Athlone 3/4 Pacing - 2:45 (3:30 equivalent)

Enjoyable run in Athlone today, pacing the 3:30 equiv group to a 2:45 finish time - Meno & I finished in 2:44:32 - so near ideal Pacing, and we left no one behind us.
    Good to meet PaulieC and briefly saw Digger as he was playing manager and chief paparazzi to CL today.

Very well organised race, the water tables were well loaded with bottles as well as fruit and cake!! - nice finish area too with a wide variety of drinks and also nice fruit loaf :).

The run itself was great - the pace was nice and the craic was good - Meno was teaching me all the old pacing jokes ;)

Comment today was from one of the people we were pacing who nudged me - pointed to Meno and asked, "Does he run as much as he talks?" :)
    In fairness, Meno done a trojan job today - good to see the pro in action. When things got tough at the last 2 hills, Meno was right on cue saying the right things and keeping them engaged.
    At one stage it was like the Navy Seals - 'No One gets left behind' - and no one did as all of our group crossed in under 2:45.

From a running experience, it as a wake up call for me - while the pace was grand and I finished the 19.6 miles fairly fresh - the time on feet was an eye opener - 2hrs 45 is the longest since April this year - after we finished, my feet were sore as I'm so used to running on grass in the PP - spending another hour pounding on the streets of the DCM isn't appealing - so I'll be doing a lot of road running in the coming 3 weeks.

Vinny - time on feet - 3 weeks to get used to it. Seriously.

^^^^^^

Yup, it's my one concern.

But there's no f*ckin way I'm doing a 3hr+ lsr next weekend.

I love the line about menos run/talk ratio :D

Gavlor wrote: »
    ^^^^^^

Yup, it's my one concern.

But there's no f*ckin way am I doing a 3hr+ lsr next weekend.

I love the line about menos run/talk ratio :D

Well do a bleedin' lsr but emphasise the 's'

Well do a bleedin' lsr but emphasise the 's'

Eh I have done a 19 miler and 20 miler within 6 days of each other!

But I will do next weekends lsr at around 8.15 mins per mile.

Maybe

Monday 6th: 4.1 miles @ 8:47 pace.

Due to lack of stretching following the Athlone gig and not help by the copious amounts of wine drank on Sunday night, the body and mind were not in a good place on Monday.
    A gentle 4m recovery around a field in Porterstown. On the upside, I did notice no niggle from the hamstring as I started - But I put that down to everything else been sore.

Tuesday 7th: 7.5 miles @ 7:24 pace

One of those wonderful runs where you are really holding back and everything seems very comfortable.
    No niggle at all from the leg - I'm cured.....I'm cured.....

3 steady miles at the end brought the pace down - felt really good to stretch the legs, but not getting carried away.

I ditched the workout app I was using as it was really varied at the start, then every workout becomes squat thrusts or lunges. Not much variety after a few days.

4 sets of:
    15 push ups
    30 second plank
    20 Calf raises (stairs)

Weight wise, I'm the right side of 13 stone for the 1st time in a long time - even while Marathon training upto April, I still managed to peak just over 13 stone for the race. I'm not looking to loose weight, just watching what I'm eating (not watching what I'm drinking though :) )

Wednesday 8th: 13.1 miles @ 7:54 pace

I had a bit of success with negative split MLR's during Marathon raining last year, so set out today with the intention of doing 13 miles, with the 2nd half faster - not much faster, just faster - in order to improve endurance and break the monotony :)
    Was keen not to go as fast as yesterday and mind the leg.

Had to take the dog for the 1st half hour or so, so just done a few laps of the park outside the house, left her home then went off to the PP and back.

1st 6.5 miles averaged 8:08 pace / 2nd 6.5 miles averaged 7:42 pace - not earth shattering, but a good run.

You know that glowy fuzzy feeling you get when you've had a good run (No, TBL, not that feeling, the other one) - that's 2 for 2 in that score.

Bit of stretching - no exercises tonight.

I like the GAP (grade adjusted pace) on Strava - wonder just how scientific that is?

Thursday 9th: 5.4m @ 8:40 pace - followed by core work - followed by training the U14 girls - They won the semi final last week (while I was in Athlone - won it by a landslide - Q all the jokes about what I bring to the team!!). We've a Final next weekend, so all taking it seriously.

Friday: No running - but done a good full body workout and a lot of foam rolling - this is a good routine I'm in lately with the core stuff. Trying to alternate days around different parts of the body.

Sat 11th: 20m LSR @ 8:04 pace

I had planned to do my long run with the MSB crew on Sunday, so I'd have some company for most of the miles, but a late change to my younger daughters GAA match meant I'd need to miss the run, so done it today instead.
    Resisted the urge to run from the house and drove to the Popes cross in order to leave water & gels in the car.

After 3-4 miles I just wasn't feeling the love, but kept going and was motivated by a discussion on a podcast I found - Running Academy - with Matt Johnson - a great discussion with Matt Fitzgerald on nutrition followed up by a discussion with Dr. Phil Maffetone (he reckons a 1:59 marathon is right around the corner) - all very interesting stuff and a recommended podcast - if that's your thang.........

So - back to me.........

Changed my usual route around a bit - cant believe I ran 20 miles in the PP and didn't take in the S bends once!!
    I thought about going back to the car for some water and a gel, but didn't feel I needed one - the pace was still holding about 8 - 8:10/ mile.
    Went over to the War Memorial Gardens and done a few miles over there, watching the rowers in action - always a good way to get rid of 4 miles.
    Entered back into the bottom of the PP at around 16 miles and climbed the huge mountain that is Chesterfield Avenue ;)

Just ran to the Castleknock gate and then back down to the Popes Cross - injected a few surges (not too fast) in the last couple of miles, really to test the fitness. Legs were feeling a little tired at that stage, but still felt strong enough and confident that at DCM with fresh legs, better nutrition and the adulation of the 3:40 group behind me - I think I'll be grand :)

Found myself unusually not very hungry after the run?? Need to watch that and make sure I get my fix of calories for the day. The beer & wine later might go some way to replenishing those.

Off now for an hour recovery walk with the Madra - back to the PP.

Sunday: Rest day

Monday: 10.5m @ 7:17.

Lovely 'steady' run from the house, a lap of the PP and back home again. Great evening for it and held the pace well enough - slowed down for the last 1.5m home.

As my next training plan starts in early November, I don't want the change in pace/emphasis to be a shock to the system, so getting a couple of steady runs in and I'll do a controlled club session on Wednesday - it'll be the 1st time doing intervals in 4-5 weeks and really looking fwd to it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

Sunday: Rest day

Monday: 10.5m @ 7:17.

Lovely 'steady' run from the house, a lap of the PP and back home again. Great evening for it and held the pace well enough - slowed down for the last 1.5m home.

As my next training plan starts in early November, I don't want the change in pace/emphasis to be a shock to the system, so getting a couple of steady runs in and I'll do a controlled club session on Wednesday - it'll be the 1st time doing intervals in 4-5 weeks and really looking fwd to it.

What's the main thing in the next plan? Spring Marathon??

Tom Joad wrote: »
    What's the main thing in the next plan? Spring Marathon??

I was planning on the 10m in Dungarvan in early Feb, but I hear theres a 10 miler planned for Trim on the same day that I might do instead.
    Then onto Bohermeen in March. I've never ran a good HM!!

I haven't committed mentally to a spring Marathon just yet - if I do, it'll probably be Rotterdam - or maybe I'll not do one and become a race wh0re :)

I was planning on the 10m in Dungarvan in early Feb, but I hear theres a 10 miler planned for Trim on the same day that I might do instead.
    Then onto Bohermeen in March. I've never ran a good HM!!

I haven't committed mentally to a spring Marathon just yet - if I do, it'll probably be Rotterdam - or maybe I'll not do one and become a race wh0re :)

Bohermeen is my plan too for the next HM. Have you finalised a plan yet?

Tom Joad wrote: »
    Bohermeen is my plan too for the next HM. Have you finalised a plan yet?

I have the semblance of a plan based on a post Larry Brent posted some time back for the Ballycotton 10m.

I've bastardised it somewhat to include a club interval session every 2 weeks and included a mid week long run.

I have the semblance of a plan based on a post Larry Brent posted some time back for the Ballycotton 10m.

I've bastardised it somewhat to include a club interval session every 2 weeks and included a mid week long run.

That link isn't working for me :confused: - sorry I'm being a nosey so and so!!

14th October: What a great day for numbers!

4.53m at 8:49 per mile.
    Number of dogs=0
    My HR was ave 118 and my cadence was 158, with an average stride length of 1.16m.........ahem...........

4 sets of:
    15 press ups
    30 sec plank
    15 sec side plank
    15 calf raises (stairs with 1 backpack)

1 legend of Boards gone
    1 re-emerged poster gone (again)
    0-0 at half time
    &
    2 slices of birthday cake!

yay me.

If it's your birthday, then remember that age brings a decrease in maximum heart rate ;) One bpm decrease I think!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Happy 50th AMK!

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Cleanman

Does this mean you're going to change your name to ReallyAulManKing???

• Advertisement

15th Oct: Club Session: 400/800/1200/800/400 (off ~2 mins)

A welcome distraction to the somewhat fractious nature of our on-line community.
    I'm avoiding he rant thread and the Off-topic thread. Keeping it positive.

Only 4 turned up for this one, they must've heard I was returning after a fair few weeks away :)

2m warm up - including strides and a few stretches.

The 4 of us split ourselves into 3 groups!!! with me at the back doing the chasing.
    My plan was to run the 400's hard'ish, the 800's controlled at ~3k pace and the 1200 at 5k pace.

400: 1:16
    800: 2:41
    1200: 4:13 - Happy with this rep - held 5:37 pace right around.
    800: 2:40 (5:18 pace)
    400: 1:09

1 mile warm down afterwards watching F.Kelly speed around the track.

I was amazed at how I felt during this session, having not done any speedwork in many weeks.
    Tallifornia Ted (de turd) always told me about the benefits of easy running, definitely seen it tonight.

Home and foam rolled as a precaution.

I have the new Garmin 220 - a magic piece of kit - takes 1-2 seconds to get a gps and the bluetooth feature automatically uploads the workout to Garmin Connect on the phone, which automatically updates Strava, even before I've got into the car to go home.
    I just need to get it to do my log update and I'm sorted.

oh yeah, my cadence is about 170 on the reps.............

Advertisement