Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The main thing is keeping the main thing, the main thing

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭Bahanaman

That's a nice session!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Bahanaman wrote: »
    That's a nice session!

You must be on one too at 3am in the morning! :pac:;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭Bahanaman

blockic wrote: »
    You must be on one too at 3am in the morning! :pac:;)

Ha ha I wish. Up doin work related stuff, last minute as usual.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Thurs: No running - good session with the u14 girls - Big final on Sunday.

35 mins full body workout - sweating like a pig afterwards............no offence meant to pigs...........

Friday: 5.13m @ 8:20 pace. Nothing more than an easy lunchtime run.

Saturday: Club Hill Session
    1 mile warm up, then 3m of hill work - up & down 2 short hills by the furry glen- I was unsure about doing this with the pacing gig next week but as the coach always said, "its not a speed session, its a strength session".

No matter how easy you take it by the 7th-8th rep its tough. We called it a day at 9 reps (18 hills). A nice workout.

5.10 miles

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭career move

Thurs: No running - good session with the u14 girls - Big final on Sunday.

35 mins full body workout - sweating like a pig afterwards............no offence meant to pigs...........
    That could easily be misconstrued .....

Oh and pigs don't sweat :D

• Advertisement

Sunday: After being out Sat night, I couldn't muster the energy for a Sunday morning run and passed up on the opportunity to do a lunchtime DCM reki with Meno - in favour of WINNING the U14 final. My Thursday Session must have worked ;)

Despite us being 5 points down and my own daughter sin binned for 10 mins - we came back to win by 4 points over Balinteer. :)

Monday: Woke up not feeling great - but put it down to the bottle of wine I had on Sunday night with not too much water.
    Meetings all day til 6:30 then managed to get out for 10 miles (7:57 pace).

Found it tough going despite the easy pace - legs were achy and the breathing laboured. HR was 135 ave, so not too bad I think?

Feeling like the onset of manflu, so I'll have to be brave and kill it before it takes over and reduces me to a blubbering mess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Sin binned...the apple doesn't fall far from the tree!

blockic wrote: »
    Sin binned...the apple doesn't fall far from the tree!

As a coach, I was mad as hell at her, but gave her a hug, as a dad.

Tuesday: Felt a bit better today - out for a slow 5miler - still felt tough :o

Hoping its some sort of pacer taper madness or something.

Maybe a couple of days off at this stage.........

Wed: Day off. Didn't go to work either.

Thur: Miracle recovery - felt good and strong - out for a casual 8 miles (7.50 pace) after work - 20 min core work.

Bang. Feel $hit again.

HR is ok at 145 - but weight is the lowest its been (well, not quite, as I wasn't born 13 stone :) , but you know what I mean!) at 12'11.
    That's a bit worrying as I'm not doing that much running and definitely not running at high intensities.

Taking it handy til my long run on Monday.
    Apparently, the story has it, there's only 3 pacers in the whole of DCM. Wonder will 3 finish?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭TRR_the_turd

Taking it handy til my long run on Monday.
    Apparently, the story has it, there's only 3 pacers in the whole of DCM. Wonder will 3 finish?

If meno is one of the 3 then NO!

Regards the weight loss and general feeling of crapiness. Keep an eye on it and maybe get a blood test and once over from your GP. An man of your vintage can't take risks with his health ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Good luck with the pacing gig Monday, i'm sure YOU will do a fine job.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Enjoy the training run on Monday:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

is it your first full marathon pacing gig?

Ososlo wrote: »
    is it your first full marathon pacing gig?

No, I'm a very experienced pacer with many many marathon pacing gigs behind me. The novices have nothing to worry about.

Yep, it's my 1st :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Best of luck with the pacing gig on Monday.
    From everything I've read here, you'll need it! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭statss

playing a blinder there chief at the pacers stand :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭overpronator

All the best Monday, wouldn't mind being in the group I have to say!

Edit: Double post!

Edit: Triple post ffs!

• Advertisement

My debut Marathon pacing gig and I was a bit nervous truth be told.

Meeting up with the pacers in the Mespil was a great experience, the walk to the start line, the photos, all added to the experience.
    We (me, Meno & Gavlor) found our place in the start area and it was quite amusing as there was a gap of about 10 meters to the next group ahead, but no one was going ahead of us to fill the space - these must be all going for 3:40 we said - t'was a big group.

We crossed the startline about 1:45 mins in, and set off - the buildings were obviously playing havoc with our garmins as me & Gavlor had different ave pace for the 1st mile of so. Luckily we were using the pace bands and mile markers.

1st few miles through town was good crack - nice to see the new route and the crowds of people were fantastic.
    As we approached the P. Park I was getting goosebumps - running on your home turf was somewhat special.
    Through the PP and onto Castleknock - the crowds were fantastic - I got so many shout outs from so many people, was definitely feeling the love :D.

As we approached the 9 mile marker I had to stop for a toilet break - was amusing getting the shouts from people as I re-emerged from the woods with the pacer flag on my back - Peckham was also keen to lend his disapproval!

Through Chapelizod and under the tunnel, Meno was giving it loads and getting it back. The hill was ok - took a few by surprise and we were all delighted at the top of it.

At the 12 mile mark, Meno said he was feeling very dizzy and felt a bit strange. He definitely didn't look good and made the right decision to drop out. And I have to add, its a very brave man to make that call after the way we bigged up the group - so major kudo's to him.

Approaching Dolphins barn and through half way - I was starting to hear people in the group talk about negatives, so we tried to cajole them and keep them positive.
    As we were going up the Crumlin road, the wind was noticable, especially with the back pack, but it was manageable. It was at that stage I really noticed how warm it was as we started to see more and more walkers.
    I took a salt tab and a gel at this stage.

The miles were flying by as we continued to get the crowd going at every corner - was great fun and we were enjoying it - the group was thinning out a bit as the heat took its toll, but we still had a good few with us.

At the 20 mile stage, We reckoned we had about 30-40 seconds banked on the 3:40 time - so told people to hold the pace and we'd come in 3:39:30 there or there abouts.
    At this stage somethig wierd happened to me - some guy came aross my path causing me to alter my stride, just very slightly, but I felt the all to familiar twinge in the right hamstring. hhhmmm - maybe nothing, but took another Gel and salt tab just in case.

At 21 miles I felt the cramp starting to spasm, so I stopped and stretched it out, I removed the flag and walked for a few seconds and then jogged on. That mile split was 9:23 so I had lost a minute on the group.

I carried the flag for another mile, (8:42) and then felt ok to speed up - I could see Gavlors flag in the distance so put in a 7:35 mile to catch up. I was just behind them as we turned onto the flyover, so put the flag back on and kept going.

Going down Nutley lane I felt another mild twinge, tried to run it off but needed to stop and stretch - didn't loose much time as the mile was 8.19 and I could still see them and knew if I kept going I'd be there or there abouts.

I tried to get a few others around me who I recognised from earlier to keep going and run with me - at this stage, the flag was in my hand, just in case I got another twinge.
    A few people came with me - they thought they had blown it, but I told them it would be close, but they could do it with a good fight.

Got a great shout from MrStew with his megaphone on the Merrion road - great to see him and hear him in fine fettle.
    I knew it was going to be tight and I could feel twinges again, but not enough to stop - I kept going and a large number of people were asking me if we were on target for 3:40 - I said as long as you stay ahead of me and not behind me, you'll be fine. Mile 26 was 8:19

The last 0.2 was great - amazing crowds and a wall of noise - I must have looked very strange carrying a black pacing flag on the home straight.

At that stage I was shouting at people to hurry up, there were seconds to spare - made it home in 3:40:05 - happy having caught the back of the 3:40 group and helped others hit the target.
    Got a few handshakes from people for the last mile push that I gave them - nice to get that.

About 5-10 mins after finishing I puked my guts up. I've never ever got sick after a marathon before, but I really let it go big time - water and lucozade sport - buckets of it :o - not too sure why that happened as the pace felt ok and the body felt ok during the race, apart from the hamstring.

My only thoughts after the race was thats 4 marathons and in every single one of them I've got cramp. It definitely made me question if I'd do any more Marathons again.
    I consciously took more salt tabs, took 3 gels and plenty of Lucozade sport.
    I do need to figure it out as if I do another marathon, it'll be in the back of my mind the whole race.

So - all in all a great experience that was relived later in the pub with the gang there.

DCM '14: 3:40:05

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭PaulieC

So Gavlor was the only one to do it right ? Maybe yourself and Meno would be more comfortable doing 4:20 ? :D

Seriously, while you're supposed to be well able for a time that is well below your PB, you're still running a marathon and that needs to be prepared for in much the same way as a target marathon. Many people rely on the pacers and you do need to do right by them.

Fair play for finishing on time (almost), the backpacks aren't really conducive to comfortable running, especially not with those gusts.

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭TRR_the_turd

you seem to cramp up after 2 hours 55 minutes of running. If you run a marathon again just make sure you finish under that time. Problem solved ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭MisterDrak

... It definitely made me question if I'd do any more Marathons again.

Ha, Dream on AMK, if you think the Marathon will let you go that easily !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭Gavlor

No comment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Actually I will comment on the fact that you were cruising up until you got cramp, I thought you were pulling over for a toilet break

PaulieC wrote: »
    So Gavlor was the only one to do it right ? Maybe yourself and Meno would be more comfortable doing 4:20 ? :D

Seriously, while you're supposed to be well able for a time that is well below your PB, you're still running a marathon and that needs to be prepared for in much the same way as a target marathon. Many people rely on the pacers and you do need to do right by them.

Fair play for finishing on time (almost), the backpacks aren't really conducive to comfortable running, especially not with those gusts.

Despite the banter to the contrary, I actually do think that I prepared well for that race, and I don't think that 2 more 20 milers would have prevented the cramp.

While Gavlor got the front of the group through, I pulled a lot of people through who had given up.

you seem to cramp up after 2 hours 55 minutes of running. If you run a marathon again just make sure you finish under that time. Problem solved ;)

That's possibly spot on!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭PaulieC

Despite the banter to the contrary, I actually do think that I prepared well for that race, and I don't think that 2 more 20 milers would have prevented the cramp.

While Gavlor got the front of the group through, I pulled a lot of people through who had given up.

I didn't mean to suggest or imply that you didn't prepare well. By the looks of things around the route yesterday, you were not the only one to have some sort of issue. In fact, there seemed to be a lot more than usual, although it was my first time that far up the field.

• Advertisement

Tuesday: was up at a ludicrous time of the morning despite being off work.......

The family went off to Dundrum, leaving me to surf, eat, drink and take in a 4 mile recovery run in the PP.
    Thankfully the dog was on a run/walk strategy and was ridiculously slow, so I was very appreciative of that. (Apart from a Stag making a run for her, where she set a 60m PB).

Amazing what a steak dinner, bottle of wine, 3 beers, a whiskey and a coconut water can do for recovery :)

Advertisement