Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The main thing is keeping the main thing, the main thing

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

wow you ran today! If you had been racing I'm guessing you wouldn't do that? How are the legs after an extremely long slow run?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Ososlo wrote: »
    wow you ran today! If you had been racing I'm guessing you wouldn't do that? How are the legs after an extremely long slow run?

I'd normally try to do a recovery run after any race or long run, very slow.
    Helps the blood flow in the legs and speeds recovery.

Am away for a couple of days, but might not bring the runners. Plan to get into it big time at the weekend and the next training cycle starts Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭MisterDrak

Whiskey:- the internationally recognised best marathon recovery drink, ever !

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

I'd normally try to do a recovery run after any race or long run, very slow.
    Helps the blood flow in the legs and speeds recovery.

Am away for a couple of days, but might not bring the runners. Plan to get into it big time at the weekend and the next training cycle starts Monday.

Whats your next target? Seems a bit soon to be going straight onto another training cycle.
    MisterDrak wrote: »
    Whiskey:- the internationally recognised best marathon recovery drink, ever !

Indeed. I've a bottle of 25YO Bowmore with my name on it in the name of recovery.

adrian522 wrote: »
    Whats your next target? Seems a bit soon to be going straight onto another training cycle.

dungarvan or Trim 10 mile.

If I had of raced DCM I'd agree with you, legs feeling good right now.
    It'll still be this day week before my 1st fast session.

Wednesday:
    4 miles easy inc 1 6:50 mile (for no apparent reason)

• Advertisement

Thurs: No running

Fri 31 Oct: 6.2 miles - 1 WU - 4 nice and steady (6:45'ish) - 1.2 CD

6.2m @ 7:01 pace

We're now Diggerless.
    Think we need to do some housekeeping in here and either make it a decent forum or GTFO.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

make it a decent forum

what do you suggest?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Thurs: No running

Fri 31 Oct: 6.2 miles - 1 WU - 4 nice and steady (6:45'ish) - 1.2 CD

6.2m @ 7:01 pace

We're now Diggerless.
    Think we need to do some housekeeping in here and either make it a decent forum or GTFO.

We're starting a feedback thread tomorrow, hope you have lots of suggestions about how to make it a decent forum! ;)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

RayCun wrote: »
    what do you suggest?

Get rid of the rant and rave threads :pac:

RayCun wrote: »
    what do you suggest?
    pconn062 wrote: »
    We're starting a feedback thread tomorrow, hope you have lots of suggestions about how to make it a decent forum! ;)

In work, I'd use a DMAIC process or have someone with a 6 sigma brain to figure out what we should do - but this is a public running forum :pac:

Its difficult to say what is broken, or indeed if it is broken. There just seems to be a general consensus that 'something' is not working too well around here and real valued people are leaving.

While the actual 'fix' may not be something that we can get our hands on for a while, I'm quite sure of 2 things.

(1) 'Time' is a good tool - it is a running forum after all :D
    I'd encourage everyone thinking of leaving to give this 'time' and maybe take an 'easy pace' for a while.

(2) The users of the forum will be responsible for 'making it decent' again - especially the more knowledgeable, the elder statesmen who have been round here for ages - I don't think its something that the mods or the site designers can attend to - sure, little tweaks here and there will help, but its the knowledge and attention that we runners get from the other runners that makes this forum great.

I'd like to see Luke back on - that's for sure - I'd also like to see other coaches on here offering their opinions on plans & progress.

Packing it in and closing the accounts are easy, but I think, personally, I owe it to Boards to try to make it a better forum.

• Advertisement

Back to training talk.................

Sat: No Running - was tempted to do the club hill session, but seen sense and just stayed in bed :)

Sun: 10.6m club run - good crowd doing this - one of our our guys wearing the 26.2 top from DCM, he finished in 3:03 another guy finished in 2:57 and is also running NewYork today !!

Pace felt very comfortable around the PP - mainly on the trails which were surprisingly firm given the recent rain.

There's a few of us getting together for the 10 miler in Feb (probably choose Dungarvan over the new one starting in Trim), we were swapping ideas about training. Amazing how many ways you can skin a cat :)

Next week I'll be doing 2 sessions - a faster session (3k pace?) on Wed with the club and 6x1k on Sat (the sat session may turn into a 5k race - not too sure yet) so I'll drop the mileage a bit to 40 miles before ramping it up again in the following weeks.

Main premise of the plan is a progression every 2 weeks;

W1
    Session 1: Club track session - faster pace vo2 stuff
    Session 2: Longer intervals - start at 6x1km and progress to 3x3m over 12 weeks (all at race pace/effort)

W2
    Session 1: Tempo run - start at 4m and progress to 8 miles (race pace +20 secs)
    Session 2: Club Hill run

I'll build the long run to 18 and a MLR of 13 midweek and include a lot of core work on the easy days.
    Mileage should max out at high 50's.
    Easy runs I'll wear a HR monitor to keep it below 130.

I also need to build in a couple of recovery weeks.

Was in my local pub on Friday night and a guy comes over looking for a spare chair, I make some kind of joke and he looks at me and says - were you the guy pacing 3:40 in Dublin.

I'm not sure if it was my witty humour :rolleyes: or my look that he recognised - (maybe it was the 5 seconds I took to sip my pint??)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,625 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Back to training talk.................

Sat: No Running - was tempted to do the club hill session, but seen sense and just stayed in bed :)

Sun: 10.6m club run - good crowd doing this - one of our our guys wearing the 26.2 top from DCM, he finished in 3:03 another guy finished in 2:57 and is also running NewYork today !!

Pace felt very comfortable around the PP - mainly on the trails which were surprisingly firm given the recent rain.

There's a few of us getting together for the 10 miler in Feb (probably choose Dungarvan over the new one starting in Trim), we were swapping ideas about training. Amazing how many ways you can skin a cat :)

Next week I'll be doing 2 sessions - a faster session (3k pace?) on Wed with the club and 6x1k on Sat (the sat session may turn into a 5k race - not too sure yet) so I'll drop the mileage a bit to 40 miles before ramping it up again in the following weeks.

Main premise of the plan is a progression every 2 weeks;

W1
    Session 1: Club track session - faster pace vo2 stuff
    Session 2: Longer intervals - start at 6x1km and progress to 3x3m over 12 weeks (all at race pace/effort)

W2
    Session 1: Tempo run - start at 4m and progress to 8 miles (race pace +20 secs)
    Session 2: Club Hill run

I'll build the long run to 18 and a MLR of 13 midweek and include a lot of core work on the easy days.
    Mileage should max out at high 50's.
    Easy runs I'll wear a HR monitor to keep it below 130.

I also need to build in a couple of recovery weeks.

Was in my local pub on Friday night and a guy comes over looking for a spare chair, I make some kind of joke and he looks at me and says - were you the guy pacing 3:40 in Dublin.

I'm not sure if it was my witty humour :rolleyes: or my look that he recognised - (maybe it was the 5 seconds I took to sip my pint??)

:)

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Duanington

Hey AMK- will you also do a Long Run each week as part of the plan?

Duanington wrote: »
    Hey AMK- will you also do a Long Run each week as part of the plan?

Yep, plan to keep it to 10-11m for a couple of weeks then increase it to 14-15 for a few weeks and maybe a couple of 18m runs in Jan.

I think the key will be keeping the easy runs easy and keeping the progression manageable.

Monday: 6.6m recovery @ 8:40 pace

Bit of a headcold going on - 1st run in many months wearing 3 layers.
    Recovery run - keeping the HR below 130.

Tuesday: 8m Easy @ 7:55 pace. - "Out & back neg split"

Legs felt great and really wanted to stretch them more than I did - took a lot of restraint to run easy for the 1st 4 miles.
    1st 4 miles easy down to the Zoo and back a bit faster (uphill :) ) to the house.
    HR ave 136

My goal race was going to be Dungarvan 10m in Feb - My plan for the race started on Monday and its sold out already :( !!
    Looks like it'll be Trim instead.

Wednesday 5th Nov: Club Session - 400/800/600/1000/800/400 - Morton Stadium

Warm Up: 1.5m

Coach had us do 6 strides and a few drills/stretches - at this stage he hadn't told us what the session was and would only tell us what the next rep was when the last rep was finished!! (not 100% sure of his thinking here).

400: 1:11 (Coach mentioned this was too fast)
    800: 2:45
    600: 2:04
    1000:3:29 (Enjoyed this one - felt strong)
    800: 2:47 (we expected a shorter rep so a few surprised faces)
    400: 1:13

Finished with 2 longish strides, 1m WD & more stretching.

6x1k at 6 min/miles on Sat.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Coach had us do 6 strides and a few drills/stretches - at this st
    age he hadn't told us what the session was and would only tell us what the next rep was when the last rep was finished!! (not 100% sure of his thinking here).

What sort of recoveries did you have between each rep?

Chivito550 wrote: »
    What sort of recoveries did you have between each rep?

2 mins there or there abouts - track was busy so waiting for people to pass etc.

2 mins there or there abouts - track was busy so waiting for people to pass etc.

Tough session. Standing recovery or jog recovery? Looks like a more middle distance session. Is that the focus?

Tough session. Standing recovery or jog recovery? Looks like a more middle distance session. Is that the focus?

yeah - standing recoveries mainly - small bit of jogging.
    Def focused on Middle distance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

Coach had us do 6 strides and a few drills/stretches - at this stage he hadn't told us what the session was and would only tell us what the next rep was when the last rep was finished!! (not 100% sure of his thinking here).

Nice session.....I think I have my next training plan sorted. Just copy what you do this week and do it next week;)

yeah - standing recoveries mainly - small bit of jogging.
    Def focused on Middle distance.

The focus of the session was middle distance, or your training is now focused on middle distance?

The focus of the session was middle distance, or your training is now focused on middle distance?

No more marathons for me in 2015. Next goal race is 10miles in Trim, but the focus will be on 5k/10k.

Training Focus is to build speed and speed endurance.
    Alternating speed work, tempos and longer intervals.

Actually, 10k is probably long distance to you. :)

No more marathons for me in 2015. Next goal race is 10miles in Trim, but the focus will be on 5k/10k.

Haha 10k is not middle distance, nor is 5k. 3k yes, at a stretch.

10k is like an ultra to me! I've said it on here before but you have great natural speed and I think you could be a great miler. Not everyone can bang out 70/71 400's off the back of long distance training. 5/10k training will leave you with a good base and with a few specific 1500m/mile sessions you could run a cracking mile (sub 4.50 at least).

10k is like an ultra to me! I've said it on here before but you have great natural speed and I think you could be a great miler. Not everyone can bang out 70/71 400's off the back of long distance training. 5/10k training will leave you with a good base and with a few specific 1500m/mile sessions you could run a cracking mile (sub 4.50 at least).

Agree with the above. How hard effort wise was that 71 400m at the start of that session?

Agree with the above. How hard effort wise was that 71 400m at the start of that session?

the 71 didn't feel too bad, but it was the 1st one :)
    Would love to try some shorter stuff sometime - maybe next year.
    Focus this year is getting to a decent 5k/10k/10m standard.

Friday: 5m easy - 7:50 pace. Nice few lunchtime laps in Porterstown.
    Re-started the core work tonight for the 1st time since Marathon week.

Saturday: 6x1km

Horrible day for doing any sort of session. Decided to do this on the Polo grounds as each lap was 1km - but seen some lads running down there and there was water everywhere. My DS racers wouldn't hold up to that! (Note: Must buy a pair of trail shoes)

There's a path/road that goes around the Polo grounds that is exactly 1m (is it sad that I know the length of most roads, or "junction to junction" in the PP :) ) so decided to do this on the harder surface.

Done a 1m warm up (think I spotted DrQ in the distance) and then set off.
    The target pace was for Race Pace -10s, which should be 5:45 by the start of Feb, so decided that 6:00-6:05 pace would be a decent barometer to try for at this stage.

Rep 1: 6:01 (3:44 mins)
    Rep 2: 5:53
    Rep 3: 5:52 (3:38 mins)
    Rep 4: 5:57
    Rep 5: 5:53 (Downhill with wind)
    Rep 6: 6:01 (uphill against wind)

All the reps with 2 min jog recoveries.

Just under a 2 mile warm down brought the session to 7.7 rain sodden miles.

Happy with the effort, given that it was a solo effort - although it was tougher than I thought it would be, which gives me an indication of where I am right now.
    A good session to get done at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,625 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

You've really turned on the jets lately, great to see on the one hand, but on the other are you starting to sprout track fairy wings, you'll be wearing a PConn replica tea cosy soon :)

TbL

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭paddybarry

Friday: 5m easy - 7:50 pace. Nice few lunchtime laps in Porterstown.
    Re-started the core work tonight for the 1st time since Marathon week.

Saturday: 6x1km

Horrible day for doing any sort of session. Decided to do this on the Polo grounds as each lap was 1km - but seen some lads running down there and there was water everywhere. My DS racers wouldn't hold up to that! (Note: Must buy a pair of trail shoes)

There's a path/road that goes around the Polo grounds that is exactly 1m (is it sad that I know the length of most roads, or "junction to junction" in the PP :) ) so decided to do this on the harder surface.

Done a 1m warm up (think I spotted DrQ in the distance) and then set off.
    The target pace was for Race Pace -10s, which should be 5:45 by the start of Feb, so decided that 6:00-6:05 pace would be a decent barometer to try for at this stage.

Rep 1: 6:01 (3:44 mins)
    Rep 2: 5:53
    Rep 3: 5:52 (3:38 mins)
    Rep 4: 5:57
    Rep 5: 5:53 (Downhill with wind)
    Rep 6: 6:01 (uphill against wind)

All the reps with 2 min jog recoveries.

Just under a 2 mile warm down brought the session to 7.7 rain sodden miles.

Happy with the effort, given that it was a solo effort - although it was tougher than I thought it would be, which gives me an indication of where I am right now.
    A good session to get done at this stage.
    Nice session.

Advertisement