Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The main thing is keeping the main thing, the main thing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

You've really turned on the jets lately, great to see on the one hand, but on the other are you starting to sprout track fairy wings, you'll be wearing a PConn replica tea cosy soon :)

TbL

I may or may not have been wearing one today.
    If you ever see me with a PConn beard, you have permission to hit me.

Sunday.

10 miles easy. Mucky & slippy.

Next session is a tempo - get to it Tue or Wed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

I may or may not have been wearing one today.
    If you ever see me with a PConn beard, you have permission to hit me.

Just spotted this now, cheeky fecker. :) Beards don't suit aul lads anyway!

Main premise of the plan is a progression every 2 weeks;

W1
    Session 1: Club track session - faster pace vo2 stuff
    Session 2: Longer intervals - start at 6x1km and progress to 3x3m over 12 weeks (all at race pace/effort)

W2
    Session 1: Tempo run - start at 4m and progress to 8 miles (race pace +20 secs)
    Session 2: Club Hill run

Currently rethinking the 'W2 Session 1' part of this plan.

Running more than a 4-5m tempo is tough - not sure how I'd do 8m at RP+20s.

The longer intervals could also double as a tempo effort as they are based on 10m pace - so a 4x2k /4x1.5m / 4x2m / 3x3m etc long interval progression would double as a good tempo progression.

Will still stick to the the main focus of the plan, with good progression, but will drop the longer tempos (unless I can find a race to double as a tempo).

Monday: 6.3m @ 7:01 pace (inc 3m Tempo)

Tempo miles all downhill from Whites road down to Park Gates street.
    3xT miles 6:14/6:18/6:21

Got most of this done in daylight

Tuesday: 6:05 miles easy at 8:22 pace - lovely run in the rain to Ashtown Gate and back.

Wednesday: Club session 600/800/1000/800/600/400

tough session this and happy to get it done.

Warm Up: 3m inc 5x strides (got there early so just threw in a couple of extra warm up miles)

600: 2:02 (felt controlled despite 5:11 pace)
    800: 2:41
    1000:3:27 (5:36 pace)
    800: 2:44
    600: 2:03 (tiring at this stage but good to see it similar to 1st rep)
    400: 1:15 ('Get it done' effort)

Cool down: 1.3 miles inc 2x150 strides.

Found this tough. Mixture of the tempo on Monday and the loaded longer reps.

Hill session to come on Sat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭DarByrne1980

i see you run in the park a bit. are you livin close buy. would not mind meetin up for runs if times suit

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭MisterDrak

AMK,

" (felt controlled despite 5:11 pace)" - Jesus...

As Marathon Talk would say, with 6 months of perfect training, what could you do one mile in ???

No sandbagging !

i see you run in the park a bit. are you livin close buy. would not mind meetin up for runs if times suit

Near enough to the PP - a lot of the easy runs its difficult to plan, (I go when it suits the family!) but wouldn't mind some company when doing some longer reps or tempos - I'll PM you in advance to see if it suits.
    MisterDrak wrote: »
    AMK,

" (felt controlled despite 5:11 pace)" - Jesus...

As Marathon Talk would say, with 6 months of perfect training, what could you do one mile in ???

No sandbagging !

In fairness it was the 1st rep and was 600m - not a mile :)
    Same distance a few mins later was very tough.
    The coach wants these reps done at 3k/2m pace.

Thursday: Rest day.

Friday: 5m easy with the madra.

Sat: Club session - 3.6 miles of Hills. (11m in total)
    Ran down to the PP and had nearly 4 miles before we started the hills. Same as always, the coach tells us its a strength session, not a speed session.
    Normally do about 16-18 reps - but 3 of us stretched it to 22 reps. You really feel it during it and after it.

Sunday: 10m easy (8:02 pace).

I've done 4 sessions in last 8 days, so next week is a semi-recovery week.
    An easy speed session (maybe 200's or 300's) and a 10-13m MLR are the main runs next week. No Saturday session.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Duanington

Thursday: Rest day.

Friday: 5m easy with the madra.

Sat: Club session - 3.6 miles of Hills. (11m in total)
    Ran down to the PP and had nearly 4 miles before we started the hills. Same as always, the coach tells us its a strength session, not a speed session.
    Normally do about 16-18 reps - but 3 of us stretched it to 22 reps. You really feel it during it and after it.

Sunday: 10m easy (8:02 pace).

I've done 4 sessions in last 8 days, so next week is a semi-recovery week.
    An easy speed session (maybe 200's or 300's) and a 10-13m MLR are the main runs next week. No Saturday session.

How long were the hill reps AMK?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

Duanington wrote: »
    How long were the hill reps AMK?

....and were do you guys do them? Road or trail? Cheers.

FBOT01 wrote: »
    ....and were do you guys do them? Road or trail? Cheers.

All trail, there's 2 hills down by the Furry Glen in the PP and we just spend 3 miles going up one then the other & repeat, they are so so close together that it's literally up and down . Both hills are about 200/300m (if even that), but it's the constant nature of them that counts.

Monday: 4m recovery + 40mins strength work

Tuesday: 9.6m run - 1st part along the outside of the PP then back up through the park. Threw in a couple of tempo miles on the downhill, which felt very uncomfortable (probably the result of too much work in too little time over the past 8-9 days as well as a tough strength session on Monday night)

Wednesday: Rest day.
    Body felt very fatigued - I think it was mainly DOMs from Monday as I was working a lot on Glutes and could really feel it on Wed.
    I was planning on doing a session in Santry on Wed, but not doing Sat session - decided to swap that and not do Wed, but do Sat.

Thursday: Hadn't got a lot of time for this due to work and a Juvenile GAA awards night - but managed a quality 4.2 miles that included 10-11 bursts between 30-70 seconds.
    Delighted with that - legs felt great afterwards, ,must do more of that (or even more strides )
    (& the younger daughter is following in her older sisters footsteps as she won Player of the year :) (#prouddaddy) )

In other news - I'm working towards a target of a sub 60 10 miler, I had planned to do Dungarvan, but its sold out and was looking forward to doing Trim 10m.
    Looks like that might be out of the question too due to some travel commitments that have come my way.

On the upside, it could mean that I can run the Raheny 5m - which I'm not too unhappy with :) - I'll decide in a couple of weeks when the travel thing is more concrete.

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Cleanman

I was on a long run with an older guy from the club last winter and he was saying that the big target for the older lads was to beat their age over 10 miles. i.e. A 65 year old would try to break 65 mins.

The aul lads in MSB must have the same targets:cool:

Cleanman wrote: »
    I was on a long run with an older guy from the club last winter and he was saying that the big target for the older lads was to beat their age over 10 miles. i.e. A 65 year old would try to break 65 mins.

While the youngster is still trying to beat his age for 5 miles.................. :p

Friday: Took the afternoon meetings at home and managed to get out while it was still daylight, mainly to get the dog out.
    Really terrible weather, but once your wet, your wet - so enjoyed the rest of the miles in the park right across from the house (recently featured in Crimeline on RTE.......true story)

Brought the dog home after 4 miles and went back out for 2 more.

6.3m @ 7:47 pace (inc 2 steady miles & 8 x 60-70m strides)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,625 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Cleanman wrote: »

The aul lads in MSB must have the same targets:cool:

While Cleanman is trying to run further than his IQ, he's hoping to run a half someday :)

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Cleanman

While the youngster is still trying to beat his age for 5 miles.................. :p
    While Cleanman is trying to run further than his IQ, he's hoping to run a half someday :)

TbL

Both targets are getting easier every year!

Saturday: Club Session - 2x400 / 1200 / 1500 / 1200 / 2x400

Great session this - done it on the Furze / Ordanance Roads.
    About 1m warm up (maybe needed more).

Got into the 400's - only 30 secs recovery. The 2 sets of posts on the Furze road are 400m apart.
    Only recorded 1 of the reps (the 2nd one)

Upon finishing the 400's we were into the longer reps - the brief was to do then 20 secs faster than 5k pace - taking full recovery - about 6 mins.

2x400: (?? / 91 secs) Told to keep it at Tempo pace. (30s recovery)

1200: 4:00min (5:36 pace) - 6min jog recovery
    1500: 5:20min (5:44 pace) - Surprised to see the slower pace - but maybe an indication of where I am?? - 6 min recovery
    1200: 3:54min (5:26 pace) - pushed harder on this one - knowing it was the last long rep.

2x400: (90sec / 80sec) - stretched the legs on the 2nd 400. Amazing how comfortable these felt after the longer reps.

Just over 1mile cool down.

6.8 miles total.

Sunday 14.8miles @ 8:05 pace.

Ran down to the PP and met up with the club for the 10 miles. Legs were tired and the last 2 home were a slog.
    Lovely crisp morning for a run.

Only done the additional miles to hit the Strava 70km challenge, which I done, and for my efforts they'll allow me to buy a $35 t-shirt.
    What a nice bunch. :rolleyes:

Weekly Total: 46 miles

Monday: 4m recovery - nice lunchtime recovery run.

PM: Club Gym session - 1st time at this - I had visions of an unstructured session - but my fears were eased as we had a physio telling us what to do.
    6 different 'weights' exercises for the 1st half (my 1st time bench pressing :) )
    2nd half was a very structured 2x set of 6 exercises - deadbugs / supermen / planks etc

Tuesday: 6m easy - trip around the PP. Was due to run 10m but the upper body was sore from the previous nights exertions.............and the weights ;)

Wednesday: Club session - 3x(800/400) 2min rec + 2x200

Coach told us it was an easy 'sharpening' session tonight. (felt anything but....)

1.9m warm up.
    4x 150m strides

Rep1: 2:37 / 73 (too fast)
    Rep2: 2:36 / 75 (I'll never learn)
    Rep3: 2:41 / 75 (took the 1st lap of the 800 easier - felt much better)

2x200 (36 / 33) Surprised myself on the 2nd 200 by finding an extra gear I never knew I had (of course everyone was racing it)

1m warm down.

total mileage 6.2m

My new years resolution is to slow down on these sort of reps (or hit a race time to justify these reps :) )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Super session, I know you said that the JB 5k is not a target race for you but based on that session you could run a very good 5k if you gave it a good lash (17:30 or better).

Thurs: Felt a tightness in the left hamstring - I say a tightness, but felt like a large knot (damn that last 200m :) )
    Didn't run Thursday but spent the time icing and rolling on a large training sliotar which done the job nicely.

Friday: Still a bit of a niggle, so kept the icing, compression and sliotharing (Trademark pending).
    6.7m @ 7:36 pace - stretched the legs for a couple of miles.

Sat: Didn't risk the club session - which is just as well as I was going for brekkie with the family for my daughters 12th b'day :)

Took the dog out for 3.5m across the road in the park - 7 laps of easy boredom.
    Brought her home and set off out again that took me down to the canal route, not quite as far as Ashtown, but far enough to appreciate the new surface etc. Definitely a route I'll be doing again.
    The stretch home from Castleknock to Coolmine, while a bit mucky isn't too bad.
    I stretched the legs for a few miles (7:05/6:55/6:54) and really enjoyed doing so. I think I've neglected 'steady' running a bit too much over the last few months and my easy pace is probably too easy.

7.77m @ 7:40

Sun:
    8:45 start for the club run is normally ok for me, but having 6 giddy 12 yr olds on a sleep over, obviously playing that famous game - "lets see who can laugh the loudest at 4:30am", didn't do me any favours.

Tipped along nicely for just over 10 miles (8:10 pace) and then I done 5x120m strides.

Really enjoyed doing the strides, I'm reading Pfitzingers new book and theres a lot of focus on strides e.g. 2x(5x200m) - much more so than in any of his previous books. I'll look to incorporate them into my runs when appropriate.

Weekly mileage: 42m

Next week will be a lighter week - I'll try and do the strength work on Monday & do the club session on Wed, which I envisage will be 6x300 or something like that as most of us are doing Jingle Bells.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭KielyUnusual

The sliotaring is the business. The hardness is spot on and those seams, don't get me started on the seams. They do special things to my legs.

Mon: Gave the running a miss, but went to the Strength training class. It seemed more difficult this time around.......hhhhmmm.

Tues: 8m at 7:38 pace - one of those runs that felt so easy and I could have ran forever.

Wed: Santry track Pitch session

The track in Santry was very slippy tonight, so we gave it a miss and ran on the football pitch in the middle of the track.
    We weren't allowed to do diagonals, so we done a good session of fast on the length and slow on the width.

3 laps= ~1km - followed by 1 lap slow.

Done 3 sets of these - was a very good session.
    As we were doing it we were debating if it was a Fartlek or a 3x6 stride session :)
    total mileage about 5.5m (forgot to turn on the watch for part of the warmup)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Tues: 8m at 7:38 pace - one of those runs that felt so easy and I could have ran forever.

SNAP! I had the exact same feeling on my 8 last night too! 7:33 pace though.. ;)

blockic wrote: »
    7:33 pace though.. ;)

I'd say you have 'auto pause' turned on though.........

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

I'd say you have 'auto pause' turned on though.........

Auto pause is for schmucks!

Thursday: short recovery run - just shy of 4 miles.

Friday: No running - Work til 6 (late for me :) ). Spent Friday night at the Driocht at Jack L - some showman.

Saturday: Jingle Bells 5k

I had no apprehension at all about this race, While no pressure on myself to go under 18, that was my plan.
    It was my 1st 5k since June and the aim was to see what sort of shape I was in and to try to hold consistent splits (5:45-5:50)

The last 2 5ks I done, I went out too hard in the 1st mile and died a death - so this was all going to be about the right pacing.

Nice to meet a few friendly boardsies before the start - all looking in good shape. Yaboya was threatening to just run straight to his care if his injury flared up within the 1st couple of hundred meters :). Thanks to Mrs TJ for looking after my gear!

Mile 1:
    The start was a bit mental as always - but it sorted itself out well before the 1st KM marker.
    I was coming up on a clubmate, who is a faster runner than me and I passed her after 1km - $hit I though, maybe too fast, but no, hold to the plan - even splits is the plan. The tail wind helped with the time.
    Was happy to see the 1st mile pass without too much fuss.
    Mile 1: 5:41

Mile 2:
    In my mind I had broken the race into a few distinct segments.
    1st one was the 1st mile. Done.
    Next up was to keep the pace until we turned onto OS road. Then the turn from OS onto the Upper Glen Road - the downhill.

I could hear the cheers of people around me and I knew that 2 of my club mates and Aero2k were both near me.
    The OS road was a bit windy, and there was a gap opening between me and the group ahead, so I pushed slightly to get some cover.
    I kicked away some 'demons' in my head at this stage as I knew the downhill was close.

At this stage last year I can remember a lovely crusader in tight shorts - well, theres something about this race and ladies with tight shorts :) - a lovely green pair were in front of me - but being the gentleman I am, I averted my gaze, concentrated on the race and passed out.........sorry, I meant I went past the lady :).

Mile 2: 5:49

Mile 3:
    Being honest, this mile is a blur. It was about holding on and trying to small gains if possible.
    My clubmate passed me, but I got him, then he passed again and stayed ahead of me.
    Aero2k came by with about 6-800m to go, I couldn't respond to him - no strength in the legs.

Even with 400 to go, I had no idea of time - I couldn't see the clock, my watch wasn't showing time, just av pace/lap pace.
    In my mind the sub 18 was going to be close, I'd need to really push in the last 200-300m as I didn't want to miss by 1 second.

Mile 3: 5:39

The last 0.1 was tough - my legs had nothing left as I chased my clubmate and aero2k - came through the line with nothing left.
    0.1m: 28s (5:43 pace)

Hadn't seen the clock when I finsihed, so no idea what my time was, I really thought I had blown it, in my fatigued state I worked it out as 18:04 or something like that :) - but was absolutley gobsmacked when I checked the watch and seen 17:38 :):)

Delighted. Over the moon. Happy with my pacing strategy.
    Also I'm quite sure as I race more 5k's& learn to suffer more that there is some more there for me.

Great to meet so many Boardsies after the race as well - some great performances all around. Mrs TJ didn't run off with my top either....

5k: 17:38
    Ave pace: 5:43

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Congrats mate. Well deserved.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭PaulieYifter

At this stage last year I can remember a lovely crusader in tight shorts

I didn't run last year so it wasn't me. Could have been any one of many though :)

Well done - savage quick.

Advertisement