Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The main thing is keeping the main thing, the main thing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Cleanman

17:38 - great time. No surprise to anyone following your log I'm sure. You'll soon be changing your name back to RK;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Fantastic A! Well done:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭overpronator

Very well done, brilliant time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,625 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Fantastic run AMK, you've really come on in leaps and bounds at the fast stuff. Looks like you executed your plan to perfection

TbL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

No surprise with that time, very well deserved for the time and dedication you put into your training. You'll only get faster.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭SamforMayo

Good man, well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Well done today.
    18 minutes well & truly smashed.
    Next up: 17 minutes :)

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭cianc

Delighted for you, absolutely deserved. Looking at the splits, first mile is very fast, so might even be more in the tank with more even pacing.

Edit: I know the splits look consistent on paper, but the first mile is the one with all the elevation gain (+58ft, vs -20 and -73 for the last two miles according to Strava).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

Brilliant running today. It was only when I was heading back to the car and Mrs Joad asked me how you did that I said fecking hell he ran 17:38 :eek::eek:, it dawned on me how good a run it was! :o

Delighted for you and plenty more to come from you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭laura_ac3

Well done AMK, great read.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭martyboy48

Seriously impressive running, congrats :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Aero believed he'd beaten you but I see you've been given identical chip times on the full results. Just about saved your skin from being beaten by a proper oul fella there :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Duanington

Congrats AMK - I doubt many people that read your log are as surprised as you were

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭TRR_the_turd

Well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭aero2k

Aero believed he'd beaten you but I see you've been given identical chip times on the full results. Just about saved your skin from being beaten by a proper oul fella there :D

Elite athletes go by gun time - chip times are only for yoggers.:pac:

Anyway, I dragged AMK most of the way round and he didn't even say thanks - instead he sent his older and faster clubmate ahead to do me out of an auld lad's prize.

BTW I reckon the course was short.*

* by about 37 kilometres.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

Nice one. Great running. Keep up the good work and the rewards will keep coming.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Bout time you actually hit a target....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

cianc wrote: »
    Delighted for you, absolutely deserved. Looking at the splits, first mile is very fast, so might even be more in the tank with more even pacing.

Edit: I know the splits look consistent on paper, but the first mile is the one with all the elevation gain (+58ft, vs -20 and -73 for the last two miles according to Strava).

Very astute Mr Cian. Food for thought there. Benefits of Strava.
    Gavlor wrote: »
    Bout time you actually hit a target....

This is the reason I'm still logging on boards.love that post.
    I should have hit sub18 last summer, with the form I was in back then.

Looking fwd to the future with a lot more confidence in my training and my ability, but folks, feel free to criticise, examine & 2nd question my approach.

Otherwise, I won't learn & it'll get a tad boring in here.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,459 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Nice work on Sat, AMK.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭dintbo

Excellent running AMK well done!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭MisterDrak

Good man Alan, well done, great time !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 558 ✭✭✭ECOLII

Great run man delighted to see this result well earned and a good way to top off the year

• Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭outforarun

Meant to say - 17:38, Wow.

Sat PM: Plenty of food & Drink at our club night out. Graced by the presence of CMcK again - such a down to earth lady.

Sun: No running - legs felt a bit tight, stomach felt a bit tighter :)

Monday: 9.64m @ 7:54 pace - nice easy pace initially then picked it up for the 2nd half.

Tuesday: No running - miserable day so didn't do the planned 4m recovery run - 40 min core work instead.

Wednesday: Club session - a real mixed bag.

Last week we done a session on the grass in the middle of the track in santry - each lap was fast on the length and slow on the width - The instruction is to run the lengths very hard from line to line and the widths very slow.

This week our coach was really playing with us as he moved us from track to pitch.

2m warm up: ave 7:50 (far too fast)

Pitch: 1km: 3 laps of the pitch

Track: 800m : 2:46

Pitch: 0.4m: 2 laps of the pitch

Track: 800m: 2:39

Pitch: 0.4m: 2 laps of the pitch

Track: 1 mile - 5:33.

Cool Down: 1 mile on the pitch.

Given the lower effort on the pitch with the widths - the recoveries on all the above were pretty swift - finish on the pitch and straight to the track. Maybe a bit of a wait while the slower groups go off 1st.

Loved this session - a real mixed bag of speeds.
    Legs felt light doing it and didn't feel at any stage like I wanted to quit.

Stomach is in a bit of a heap now though.

6.4 miles total.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Sun: No running - legs felt a bit tight, stomach felt a bit tighter :)

Tuesday: No running - miserable day so didn't do the planned 4m recovery run - 40 min core work instead.

You snooze you lose AMK. Weather is no excuse nor are hangovers.

Well done at the weekend btw.

Thursday: FOOTBALL. 5-Aside. Running with a Ball. Goals. Frustration. no warm down. Pints. More Pints. Even more pints.

Friday: $hit. Sore legs. Even sorer legs. sore head. 4m easy. Pints. More pints. Even more pints.

Sat: Even more $hit. Sore legs. DOMS. Hate Doms. No session. 6.2 easy. Christmas tree. Wine. More wine.

Sun DOMS (Still) - Club session. 11m. 5 strides. Spurs win. Wine.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

Oof...no more seasonal beer cheer until you run around the block 50 times (and not your sprogs duplo block) :D

Monday: Lunch time run - 4.2m with 7 strides (diagonals on a football pitch - ~30 secs)- really enjoyed this - short and sharp.

Was listening to Marathon Talk from a couple of weeks ago during this and they mentioned Sonia O'S had run Bear Island Park Run according to her twitter a/c 'Sonia agRith' - Q the following exchange............

"What's 'ag Rith' Martin?"

"I dont know Tom, maybe its her married name."

:)

Mon PM: 1 hour Club Gym Class

Tuesday: 9.73 miles @ 7:38 pace

just under 10 miles of the wettest run I can recall. Not at all windy, just very very wet. Nice run though.

Wednesday: Club Session 2xPitch / 1000m / 600m / 2xPitch / 800m / 400m

We have a Club handicap 6m XC race this weekend - so it was a handy enough session tonight - but he still made us work hard on the reps - focusing on each lap.
    The coach was talking a bit about accurate pacing and knowing in our head if the laps were faster or slower. This exercise was a test of our pacing as well as a good workout.

The past 2 weeks he has been using the pitch as a buffer in between sets and to act as a warm up - Fast& sharp on the length / slow on the width.

2 mile warm up.
    some strides then 2 x pitch laps.

1000m: 3:22 (This was to be the benchmark - we'd set other paces off this (or the 1st lap of this))
    600m: 1:51 (aim here was to do it 2 secs per lap faster than the 1000m laps)
    90 sec rest then 2xPitch
    800: 2:33 (AIM: Faster per lap than 1000 - but slower than 600)
    400: 70s (aim - to be the fastest lap of the night without overdoing it - did we pace it well enough earlier)

~1m cool down

It was a good excercise, but it was funny to see 15 of us trying to workout what the next split should be per lap :)
    I think the coach just wanted us to keep focused and threw this in to keep us thinking rather than going through the motions.

On the 800 rep, I was really regretting doing the 10miles the previous night!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

It was a good excercise, but it was funny to see 15 of us trying to workout what the next split should be per lap :)

Thank feck I'm not in your club after my attempts at sums this week :D

Sounds like a good session!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Savage splits!

Advertisement