Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The main thing is keeping the main thing, the main thing

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Netwerk Errer

That's a sweet little sharpener yesterday(stealing that for myself:) ) How long were the recoveries?

Any chance we'll see you run the mile or a 3k soon? I'm convinced you would blitz them with that speed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

pconn062 wrote: »
    Savage splits!

+1

like a fine wine you're getting better with age!

TbL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

That's a sweet little sharpener yesterday(stealing that for myself:) ) How long were the recoveries?

Any chance we'll see you run the mile or a 3k soon? I'm convinced you would blitz them with that speed.

The recoveries were different each time.

Between the 2 sets (100/600) (800/400) there was 90s rest then the 2 laps of the pitch (with 4 fast sprints)
    Then another 90s before the 800.

B/w the 800/400 was just over 2 min.

Not too sure on the mile/3k - maybe next year - I want to get a fair few 5k's/10k's under the belt 1st - I think I only ran 2 5k's and 1 10k last year?

Another thing - 'cos I've done a few marathon cycles, I'm still thinking like a Marathoner in terms of my training.
    The coach was looking at me strangely last night when I told him I had done 10m on Tuesday.
    His 1st Q was "are you back in marathon training......"

I call him the coach as he's the club coach, but he doesn't do my plans yet - must have a proper chat with him.
    He's old school - out of the Steve Jones locker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

There must be some serious smoke coming off that track on Wednesday nights!

Burning in up lad!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Really great session there AMK.
    What do you think will be your best race distance in 2015?
    Shorter stuff definitely seems to suit you.

• Advertisement

Cheers lads - the Wed sessions are grand - theres a couple of lads & 1 lady who are faster than me (~16:30 5k) who drag me around.

I dont feel that I'm that fast TBH given that theres people ahead of me the whole time, so if I can burn it up, then they'll still be ahead of me :)

regarding my best distance in '15 - I'm concentrating on 5k/10k for the entire '15 - I'm going to really focus the entire year to get my speed up & my times down. Might do 1 or 2 10 mile races.
    I want to become a race wh0re in '15 - I didn't race much in 2014 and I got soft I reckon - not hurting enough!!
    Might even do a couple of Graded Meets later in the year.

Thurs: No running - busy day in work and Work Christmas Party - A Grand affair in the Westin - well recommended.

Friday: 5.2m Hungover miles with the Madra trying out the new Trail Shoes - 'Adidas Kandida' - nice shoe - if only I could recall wearing them - think I was still over the limit while running.

Sat: 4.6m inc 6x30s strides (with the madra) - again in the trail shoes and threw in some strides.

Sunday: MSB Handicap 6m XC Race

Felt a bit letargic on the 2m warm up - but thats nothing strange.
    Done some strides and felt good as I took my start place - off in the 2nd last group.
    1st mile felt ok - from my 5k recently, I felt 5:55 was a good 10k pace on the road - so maybe 6:05-6:10 for this XC might suit?? - the footing was fairly solid for most of the run - a few mushy patches but fairly ok - Mile 1 was 6:02.

Around the 1.5m mark I had a wierd feeling, like I wanted to totally stop. Not the 'demon' type feeling that you hear/get - but a total feeling of tiredness in the legs - absolutely no energy and only for the amount of Parents here (who I knew) with the Juvenile races going on - I'd have DNF'd.

Didn't know what to make of it - 1.5m into a 6m race and already feeling like I wanted to DNF - and not a demon in earshot - really strange feeling.
    Mile 2 was 6:17 and I knew my goose was cooked -I decided just to finish with enough to ensure I'd be in good shape for a session midweek - not that I could have gone much faster.

Mile 3-6 were 6.46/6:51/6:54/6:38 and the biggest victory was not stopping.
    My H'Cap time was to finish in 37:30 but I finished the 6m in 39:30.

The winner done a great time in 36:3X and is about my level at training at other 5k's etc - so I know I done a real bad race today.
    Not too sure why, but am not dwelling on it - will write it off as 'one of those days'.

Am glad that all my Christmas parties are over and now on holidays and I can get into some real good training in the coming 2 weeks.

Apologies as I'm a bit disengaged from other logs recently - things a bit mental here in the home life - my FIL was moved into a home recently due to dementia - not looking for sympathy or any replies on it - its my wife suffering the trauma, not me - but just so people know I'm not willfully ignoring them.

Happy Christmas !!

40m for the week.

Monday: 4.22 miles easy pace.

Tues: No Running.

Wed: 3 x (400,400,1000) - 70-80s rec and ~4min jog between sets.
    Done this on my ownsome. I've definitely got too used to running with others. This felt very tough.

The 2 sets of posts on the Furze road are 400m apart, so this served as a good marker for me. Then the 1000 was from the posts around to the OS road - the 4 min jog back served as a good recovery.

1. (82/73/3:32)
    2. (79/78/3:34)
    3. (85/84/3:37)

Happy to finish it and enjoyed it. I've christmas'd well up to this point and it showed today.

Thursday: Sad day for the family as my Wifes father sadly passed away. Dementia is a terrible thing.

Friday: No Running

Saturday: Deliberated about not doing this - but needed to get out and everyone was in bed anyway - Made it to the club session - 20 x Hills - killer of a run. A few drinks on Sat night reminiscing on stories and making funeral plans.

Sunday: 10.2 miles @ 8:05 pace. - very tough run today. With everything else going on around, I should have done the decent thing and not ran.

28m for the week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Sorry for your loss Alan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 558 ✭✭✭ECOLII

Deepest condolences to the family.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Sorry to hear of the loss of your father in law A.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 701 ✭✭✭PaulieYifter

Sorry to hear this - take care of yourself and the family

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Sorry to hear that Alan, look after yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭career move

So sorry to hear about your father in law Alan. Dementia is terrible but it doesn't make it any easier to say goodbye. My best wishes to all your family

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

Aw sincere condolences, wishing you and your family strength to get through this horrible time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Very sorry to read of your loss.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Sorry to hear Alan. Hope all are doing well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

Sorry to hear about your loss Alan. Look after yourself and the family.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Sorry to hear the bad news.
    Commiserations to you and your family.

OK - Lets get this show back on the road. 2015 - Lets be having you!!

Mon: No Running.

At my FIL's wake, I was talking to an older gentleman who knew him - mainly Cavan connections but also from the building trade, Matt Rudden is his name.
    Turns out that Matt is a Donore H & Irish Running legend (his Grandson, an up & coming T&F guy, is also friends with my daughter as it transpires).
    I spoke to him for ages about his running.
    He ran a 4:10 mile in the 60's - he recalls the exact date - on the Iveagh Grounds, on the grass - he recalls the spikes he wore.
    He also won many XC races at Dublin & Leinster levels, but came 2nd at the Irish XC - he told me that the guy who beat him that day is now living 50 yards from his house! He also held the Irish 2 mile record (9:02 - on Grass).

Amazing Gentleman and still has a great love for running, he watches out for the results each day - I'm sure some of you Donore Heads will know him.

Tuesday: No Running.

Wednesday: 5.2m @ 7:47 - 10X 0.5m laps with the dog.

Thursday: 10m @ 7:14 pace. Nice run - hadn't really eaten on Wed and ran on empty on Thurs (mainly 'cos there was no food in the house :) )
    7 miles @ 7min/mile and 3 miles easy - good run - but very windy.

Friday: 6.7m @ 8:34 pace - Wore the trail shoes and went around the PP trails - very sloppy in places, but just what I needed as a nice recovery.

As a mini review of 2014:

The Good:
    A 3 hour marathon :) in April - I really enjoyed the training for this.
    Joining a club!
    Sub 30 in the 5 miler in the Phoenix Park.
    Winning the Club Handicap 10k Road race
    Pacing the 3:40:05 group at DCM (ahem....)
    Breaking 18 for 5k at Jingle Bells with 17:38.
    2134 miles for the year.

The Bad:
    Missing sub 30 at the Dunboyne 5m by 3 seconds
    Dropping out of Race Series HM with injury
    Not racing enough in 2014

The Ugly:
    The way I felt at the 10 mile race series - eeeuuugghhh
    Miserable XC debut recently at Club 6m XC - missed my HC time by 2 mins.

Goals for 2015 still TBD.

Happy new year everyone.

• Advertisement

Sat: I was out (again) on Friday night for a few and woke up really feeling it. I hap planned on going to the club session and after hearing the rain outside, thought about turning over and going back to sleep, only to get a text from a buddy asking for a lift to the session.
    I was dreading any kind of fast stuff and was delighted that we were doing hills - so set off on the metronomic up & down for 3 miles on the 2 trail hills at the back of the Furry Glen pond.
    A couple of clubmates fell, one cut his leg bad and I reckon has 2 broken fingers. I've never been muckier from a run in all my life.

Sunday: Club run - at times I hate these runs, mainly 'cos they are ran too slow, but I have to accept it as there's a lot of different abilities in there - we were touching 8:20 average pace for the 1st 3 miles and was really doing my head in, so I took the lead and upped the pace a bit. Another guy asked me at about the 5-6 mile mark to do a 2km pickup, so we upped it to 6:30 pace for a bit, felt very comfortable actually.
    A few later miles over some hills and some quite mucky slop slowed me back down - thankfully.
    Was done by the end of it. Any hopes I had of doing some strides were gone!!

Weekly mileage ~40m

Monday: A bit tight on time so done a nice little session; 1m WU + 11x30 seconds + 1m CD (30s recovery each rep)

Lovely little session this - took 30 mins and 3.8 miles.

1 hour Club Gym Session: nice set up this, designed for runners - 6 weight/resistance exercises + 2 sets of 5 key Stretches + 2 sets of 5 Core activities + self massage (.......naughty :P )

Tuesday: A bit tired today, maybe due to the lack of drinking alcohol yesterday, the 2 early mornings didn't help, nor did staring at a computer waiting for emails to pop in & interfere while I looked up different races or training plans.

7m @ 8:03 pace.

I've signed up for Raheny but unsure if I'll make it due to family stuff (Months Mind) - Rathcoffey 10k 2 weeks later looks interesting though.

Also didn't realise that the BHAA done so many races 'til I seen the advertisement in 'The Irish Runner'. 2 per month! Some going. (but I'm not doing that filthy xc stuff..........)

Wimp...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭Beef

Tuesday: A bit tired today, maybe due to the lack of drinking alcohol yesterday,

This must be what's wrong with me too! You're a genius. btw, sorry to hear the bad news.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 701 ✭✭✭PaulieYifter

Tuesday: .... staring at a computer waiting for emails to pop in & interfere while I looked up different races or training plans

This :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Duanington

Rathcoffey 10k 2 weeks later looks interesting though.

Any links to this one AMK? I can't see anything online...

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭davemcmahon

Entry:
    http://www.runireland.com/events/rathcoffey-10km-fun-run-0

Route:
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/442198037

Can't find last years results but its a good race, well organised and there's usually good numbers from the nearby clubs

Duanington wrote: »
    Rathcoffey 10k 2 weeks later looks interesting though.

Any links to this one AMK? I can't see anything online...
    Entry:
    http://www.runireland.com/events/rathcoffey-10km-fun-run-0

Route:
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/442198037

Can't find last years results but its a good race, well organised and there's usually good numbers from the nearby clubs

Thanks Dave.

Last years results here.

Wed 7th: Club Session - Santry Track - 7x800

Was lashing down when I left the house and was feeling knackered, so this was always going to be a tough one.

At the start of the session, the coach just said we were doing 800's - and is his way, didn't tell us how many. I actually read an article in Running Times about this and its very common in coaching circles.
    We expected that he'd do 5x800 and ease us back into the speedwork.

After the 3rd rep I was fairly beaten ('maybe 'cos I was too fast!) and he then told us that we would be doing 7x800.
    I was wondering how I'd do 1 more - so I resolved to do them a couple of seconds slower to get to the finish of the session.

2.1m warm up inc 5 strides and a couple of drills.

1. 2:38
    2. 2:37 (1st 2 too fast - wanted to be just under 2:45)
    3. 2:41 (Still fast - after this rep, we were told it was going to be 7 reps)
    4: 2:42
    5: 2:44 (Kept the 1st lap slowish - happy with the effort.)
    6: 2:47 (Lost focus on both laps - poor effort)
    7: 2:43 (wanted to quit after 1 lap - kept it going and used the arms more - happy to get it in a decent time)

Paces are about 5:30 pace bar the 6th which was 5:39.

1.4m cool down.

Recoveries varied from 2min to 3 min based on the track being used and setting others off.

Found the session very tough, both mentally and physically. Delighted to finish the 7.

• Advertisement

Hi AMK, sounds like a tough session alright. Don't suppose you've a link to the article or what's the logic behind a 'blind' session? They're my least favourite type of sessions, I like to know how many and what pace beforehand so I can pace myself and always leave a bit in reserve/dig deepest on the last two so these are the fastest of the set/s.

Advertisement