Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The main thing is keeping the main thing, the main thing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Come off it Meno - ahh Jaysus - I really really hope you are taking the pi$$.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭Gavlor

menoscemo wrote: »
    For a man with a plan; you sure go through the plans :D

My 2 cents: keep it simple. Run lots of miles. Do your long run. Run fast once or twice a week. Stop thinking so much :pac:

Agreed. But that plan appears to be fairly simple in technical terms relative to some of the plans I've seen!

A, is it just a proper structure that you are looking for??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Come off it Meno - ahh Jaysus - I really really hope you are taking the pi$$.

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,625 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

As a matter of interest AMK, why did you pick that particular plan?

You seem in good shape (for an auld lad) to me to hit your target and I reckon that if you followed any reasonable structured plan and stayed injury free you'd be pretty confident of doing it

Tb

Gavlor wrote: »
    Agreed. But that plan appears to be fairly simple in technical terms relative to some of the plans I've seen!

A, is it just a proper structure that you are looking for??

Thanks Gavlor

nope - I had 1 plan, was nosing around the internet on LetsRun.com and came across the BAA plan.
    Hadn't heard of it before but liked the structure, the Marathon paced sessions, the steady MLR's and the 6 long runs of 20 miles or over.
    Music to my ears.

Its not complicating anything - its not overthinking, its not anything.
    Just a plan that I happen to like and thought I'd share it as its not very common.

Come on lads - lets stop with the overthinking crap.

• Advertisement

Thanks Gavlor

nope - I had 1 plan, was nosing around the internet on LetsRun.com and came across the BAA plan.
    Hadn't heard of it before but liked the structure, the Marathon paced sessions, the steady MLR's and the 6 long runs of 20 miles or over.
    Music to my ears.

Just a plan that I happen to like and thought I'd share it as its not very common.

I'm sure it's a lovely plan, tbh I hadn't looked at it when I made my comment. Just commit to it and stick to it.
    TBH I agree 100% with TbL any kind of well structured plan (even my mara plan ;)) and you will go sub 3 (barring injury etc); you are already in good shape and it'll be no bother to you...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

There's also another great phrase that gets thrown around on letsrun a lot "just run baby!". (I kid, I kid, I swear I'm only joking! :pac:).

Looks like an interesting plan, thanks for sharing (would it work for a 1500m??).

As a matter of interest AMK, why did you pick that particular plan?

Tb

I tried P&D last year but found the back to back MLR's very tough.

I developed my own marathon plan based on some of Tergats (former poster) posts, but after reading some of what Ecoli said about not picking and choosing runs and having progression - I decided to not use the makey uppy plan.

Found the BAA plan and liked it as it had a lot of what I wanted and more importantly it seems to allow more recovery than some of the other plans I've seen.

Just though I'd share it with ye all...........

I'm sure it's a lovely plan, tbh I hadn't looked at it when I made my comment. Just commit to it and stick to it.
    TBH I agree 100% with TbL any kind of well structured plan (even my mara plan ;)) and you will go sub 3 (barring injury etc); you are already in good shape and it'll be no bother to you...

Thanks Meno - I got tarred a lot last year with the overthinking stuff - sometimes rightly so, other times its a factor of me putting too much stuff up here - but its a forum for advice isn't it as well as a log for your runs??

I agree with you all that any well structured plan would work - but I wasn't following a well structured plan.

That's my plan now - record the date and someone can open a book for when AMK changes his marathon plan :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Thanks Gavlor

Music to my ears.

Thanks for sharing, I like the plan. Nice and straight forward.

Just to throw a warning shot to you though, be careful not to peak to soon. You're flying at the moment with some serious "marathon" type sessions. Remember the main thing is not until 6th of april!

• Advertisement

Thanks Meno - I got tarred a lot last year with the overthinking stuff - sometimes rightly so, other times its a factor of me putting too much stuff up here - but its a forum for advice isn't it as well as a log for your runs??

I agree with you all that any well structured plan would work - but I wasn't following a well structured plan.

That's my plan now - record the date and someone can open a book for when AMK changes his marathon plan :D

Haha I just think you seem to change ideas and plans more often than most.

You can read loads of stuff and loads of plans but all good Marathon plans come down to a few simple premises: Run lots of miles; mostly easy some hard. Mileage and sessions follow some progression (barring the odd stepback week) like a good movie plot everything has a reason. The closer you get to the goal race the more specific you get (i.e. More MP miles). If you follow those principles you can't really go far wrong.

I tell you what...You marathon is 1 week before mine right? Lets say I post you my plan 1 week in advance. That way I can read all about it on here and learn from my your mistakes :p

I tell you what...You marathon is 1 week before mine right? Lets say I post you my plan 1 week in advance. That way I can read all about it on here and learn from my your mistakes :p

that's just your sneaky way of getting me to change plans already. what price you get??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭statss

as I said at the beers....be great if you reactivated your log for this London attempt....

statss wrote: »
    as I said at the beers....be great if you reactivated your log for this London attempt....

Nah, I could never put up with the criticism and I would never listen to any advice anyway. I prefer just criticising AMK instead :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

I can't believe I'm writing this in your log RK AMK but that looks like a straightforward, solid and reliable plan. Good luck and don't overcook!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭theboyblunder

+1 looks sensible. Id just do what it says on every day and you'll be very fit. Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

Based on something Ecoli said above I'm thinking strongly of discarding my made up hodge podge plan and following this.

That looks like a pretty good & easy-to-follow plan.
    I like the way there are Intervals every week with the MLR & Tempo alternating most weeks. I feel I overlooked the faster stuff for most of this year so was going to change to Daniels from P&D to zone in on this a bit more but am seriously tempted by this plan instead.
    Only issues would be to see how I could throw in a slow 50km in Feb and a slow Barca marathon in March. Manchester is still in my crosshairs for a PB attempt too...

Nah, I could never put up with the criticism and I would never listen to any advice anyway. I prefer just criticising AMK instead :D

Sure you're not overthinking things yourself there Meno??;)

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Cleanman

Be a lot easier if you just joined a club.....just sayin' :D

belcarra wrote: »
    Sure you're not overthinking things yourself there Meno??;)

I might be, but I'll keep it to myself ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

Cleanman wrote: »

nobody would have him ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

Cleanman wrote: »
    TRR wrote: »
    nobody would have him ;)

Tallaght might... He looks quite like most of the female members :eek:;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭drquirky

digger2d2 wrote: »
    Tallaght might... He looks quite like most of the female members :eek:;)

All of whom you wouldn't have a hope in hell with!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

drquirky wrote: »
    All of whom you wouldn't have a hope in hell with!

I take that as a compliment dude ;)

That looks like a pretty good & easy-to-follow plan.
    I like the way there are Intervals every week with the MLR & Tempo alternating most weeks. I feel I overlooked the faster stuff for most of this year so was going to change to Daniels from P&D to zone in on this a bit more but am seriously tempted by this plan instead.
    Only issues would be to see how I could throw in a slow 50km in Feb and a slow Barca marathon in March. Manchester is still in my crosshairs for a PB attempt too...

Actually AMK/Ecoli, I notice there is no LT training in that plan.
    Instead there is 'Marathon Tempo' training which more or less equates with MP.
    Any thoughts on whether this will be a loss in the context of the overall programme?

that's why its appealing :P

that's why its appealing :P

No short-cuts!
    ...or is there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Instead there is 'Marathon Tempo' training which more or less equates with MP.
    Any thoughts on whether this will be a loss in the context of the overall programme?

Not my idea as first time I am seeing this plan:D However it does look fairly solid outline and definitely along the lines of marathon running in the US where by they are generally coming from great speed to work on endurance (which in a way I would reckon would be a good approach for AMK to follow)

With regards LT I think we only focus on the high end AnT value as being the Golden marker however MP is in fact Lactate threshold training also but more at the lower value (AeT or Aerobic Threshold). This is the point at which the body starts anaerobic energy pathways start to kick in causing you to start to burn Glycogen.

So to answer your question there is in fact LT training there and the plan seems to aim to focus on getting the body more efficient in the later stages of the race. Like most plans there is no right or wrong answer but rather different ways to skin a cat.

Normally I do see LT training being approached at both the high end and low end however I have seen people be successful on just the low end in the past

Thanks ecoli - the pace descriptors call out MP +/- 10s as marathon Tempo - but they also stipulate 'no faster' than that.
    This fits in to what you are saying.

My intention was to try to hit the lower end of this (MP-10s) in order to stimulate more of the 'typical' LT sessions.
    Is it much of a muchness in doing this??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Thanks ecoli - the pace descriptors call out MP +/- 10s as marathon Tempo - but they also stipulate 'no faster' than that.
    This fits in to what you are saying.

My intention was to try to hit the lower end of this (MP-10s) in order to stimulate more of the 'typical' LT sessions.
    Is it much of a muchness in doing this??

I would imagine I would say no harm in doing this every 2-3 weeks but wouldn't do it on a consistent basis as you want some specificity mentally for marathon pace come race day also.

Advertisement