Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The main thing is keeping the main thing, the main thing

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

You are very tanned!

thanks - did you get a good pic last Sat?

You're very young btw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭MisterDrak

Nice 10K PB there A !!!

Those sessions seem to be working wonders...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭PaulieC

thanks - did you get a good pic last Sat?

You're very young btw.

Get a room you two

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Great PB AMK! 37:42! That sounds very familiar! Must check mine! ;)

Following training on Wednesday, I hurt my neck. There were chandeliers, rafters & handcuff's involved.

Actually, there weren't - I was just drying my face.
    But cricked my neck something terrible. Little sleep on Wednesday night due to it.
    Didn't run Thursday.

Friday: 6.12m @ 8:26 pace. 1st 2 miles were sore, but the neck loosened out a bit. Wanted to do this as the club had a hill run on Sat, so I figured this was the fitness test. seemed to pass.

Sat: Club Hill Run - Djouce Mountain in Wicklow.

Turned up with another 18 club mates to do this - split into 3 groups and off we went. 1st couple of miles were ok - breathing heavy and the neck was giving me some cause for concern. The breath taking views helped somewhat.

We turned a corner and it brought us to a downhill section where we regrouped and set off up, and up and up. My GOD. legs were burning at this stage, I think I clocked a 12min mile and a 16 min mile before we reached the top.

I've love to say that i bounded up to the top, but it was more of a shuffle :).

Super scenery a few pics and we were off back down - this was the fun part - downhill running must be a real skill.
    When we reached the bottom, we were without 3 others who had taking a wrong turn and 1 of our group took a bad fall and had a bloody leg. All Lived to tell the tale though.

8.2m total

Sunday: woke up to do the club run, but the struggle with putting on my socks told me that it was better to stay in bed. No running. neck in bits.

• Advertisement

Monday: Neck wasn't too bad today thanks to a special diet.....................Nurofen Plus.

I dropped my youngest off for a friendly GAA match in the PP and set off on a run, with the intention of doing 20m @ tempo.
    Done close to 4 miles easy then shifted into tempo pace.
    I still had Saturdays hill run in the legs and it took me a while to get into the pace, but once I did, it felt fine.

Done the 20 mins - just over 3 miles. (6:25/6:05/6:08/ +6:07 for 0.25m)

Observed 3 distinct types of runner during this run.

"Were friends, but too cool" - two girls running side by side wearing earphones.

"Look at me!" - Pretty girl running wearing tight tank top, lip stick (I noticed....) with massive head phones and shades that belong in Top Gun.

"Do this, every night for 2 weeks and you'll feel a difference" - a husbands advice to a struggling wife going up chesterfield. I see a divorce looming in a forthnight.

8m@7.24

Tuesday: 5m easy with 5x30 sec strides.
    Down to the PP again, felt fairly good tonight, but the neck is still not 100%. Strides at the end and felt the better for it.
    5.12m @ 7:55

Wednesday: Club Session - Porterstown Park - 400/800/400/1200/800/400

Due to graded meets we were in Porterstown park on the grass track (well - whats left of it)
    There were a few tired legs out tonight as DOMs were in evidence in some runners legs.
    The coach abandoned his original plan and went with a shorter session only 4k worth of hard running.

I felt jelly legs after the 1st 800, but kept going and happy I did. Times a little slower due to tired legs and on lumpy grass.

2.5m warm up and strides.
    400: 1:14
    800: 2:44
    400: 1:16
    1200: 4:13
    800: 2:49
    400 1:15

Recovery time varied based on distance.

2m cool down.

7.3m total for tonight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

I get a bad neck from time to time.
    Some good exercises:
    Whilst seated, turn your head slowly and gently as far to the right as possible and hold the stretch for 4 seconds and return gently back to centre. Do that 4 times.
    Turn head to the left and do the same.
    Push your chin in towards your chest and hold for 4 seconds. Gentle and controlled movements.
    Put your head back towards your back as far as it'll go and hold for 4 seconds.
    Offers a nice bit of relief anyways and loosens things out nicely. Keep your arms straight down by your sides when doing the exercises and sit.
    Hot pack also helps and of course the neurofen plus. The answer to all evils in life...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭PaulieC

"Look at me!" - Pretty girl running wearing tight tank top, lip stick (I noticed....) with massive head phones and shades that belong in Top Gun.

Is that a euphemism ?

AMK, Log fatigue, or just fatigue :confused::confused::confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

MisterDrak wrote: »
    AMK, Log fatigue, or just fatigue :confused::confused::confused:

Log fatigue for sure :)

• Advertisement

Somebody else wake him up !!!

Boards.ie:

Its not been the same for a while now........we used to talk a lot, but not so much these days.....

I think we need a break for a while..................its not you, its me.

I'll check in every now and then to see how the kids are doing.

Maybe in a few weeks things will be different.

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

I see your a track fairy now!!! Well done this evening, shame your not logging anymore.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,136 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Anyone can run 4 laps when there's no beers in between though...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

tang1 wrote: »
    I see your a track fairy now!!! Well done this evening, shame your not logging anymore.

I always told him he would make a great track fairy :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

Nice running tonight.

Missed you guys :)

Wasn’t going to post again as I wasn’t feeling like I was getting benefit from the log, but it’s when you don’t post and do some races and realise that you know so many runners from Boards, that you realise how worthwhile it is.

It’s also handy having a digital diary to look back on when you do race, for future reference.
    So – not a promise to log often, but I’ll update now and then to keep in with the crowd :).

4 races to catch up on:

(1) 27th May: Dunboyne 5m – 29:11

I’d consider this my best race and performance to date.
    I felt so good in this race it was a bit unreal and I’d love to be able to replicate it. The previous week I was I Singapore, not quite a booze fest, but busy with work and drinking a bit every night.

Done a decent warm up and strides and got a good position. I was keeping a guy in my sights (Fletch) who was in and around my pace for a while (then he improved drastically :) ).
    I kept up on his shoulder for 4 miles or more and he found an extra gear in the last 800m.
    As I approached the track in Dunboyne I had no expectation on time, sub 30 was the goal and I hadn’t been clock watching after the 1st mile – more racing than clocking.
    Finished strong and was spent afterwards. Customary dry retch at the end.

Splits: 5:52 / 5:49/ 5:52 / 5:57 / 5:39

Delighted with all miles under 6 and the last mile being the fastest.
    Good to meet some boardsies and ex boardsies after the race for a coffee and cake.

(2) 17 June: 1500m Graded Meets (D) – 4:39 – 3rd position.

There were a few from the club doing this, so I threw my hat into it.
    I was very nervous the day of the race but was also looking forward to it.

We lined up at the start and the pistol went.

Lap 1 was good – feeling ok – went through in 72 – a bit of jostling and positioning. I made my way into 2nd position behind a club mate.
    Lap 2 slowed a bit, we went through 800 in 2:30 – so a 78s lap. Still in 2nd and still feeling strong.

As we approached the bell, I was waiting for the burst from behind me, but it didn’t come just yet, we passed 1200 in 3:45 (75s) and the pace crept up.

As we approached the bend I was gunning it and could hear the patter of feet behind me that quickly turned into a freight train as a guy zoomed passed me on the home straight. I was at full speed and couldn’t respond fast enough, but kept the pace through the line for a 4:39 finish and 3rd place.
    I thought I’d be sick afterwards, but no retching…….maybe more in the tank??
    Delighted with the experience and good to meet a few (ex)Boardsies there (Aoife/KC/Wolfie/Ecoli).

(3) 21st June - Castleknock 5km – 18:09 – 9th 1st O40

A clubmate organises this race, so done it again this year. Last year I went off too fast in the 1st mile, so was keen not to repeat that this year.

Even splits are the way forward, right…..right….???

Lined up at the front and off we went, up an incline and then down Tower road which is a good downhill. Turned into the PP at Knockmaroon gate and 1st mile registered at 5:30…….doh!!

Kept going up the slight incline on the OS Road that we now faced and mile 2 came in 5:40. I was beside one of my female clubmates and a guy in leggings and I was determined not to let either of those beat me :).
    Lactic was spouting from every orifice at this stage and I felt like I was walking through treacle.

The turn for Farmleigh brought its own eco-system as I noticed a wind that wasn’t present anywhere else! Also it is a terrible drag all the way through.

As we went through Farmleigh I knew the finish was close, so kept plugging away – pace dropping terribly. 2 people passed me in the last 800m – thankfully neither of them were the aforementioned pair :).
    I exited Farmleigh and made it up the mountain  to Castleknock college where I hammered it home with a 3rd mile of 6:20 ;).

The course measured bang on this year as it was slightly long last year. I was disappointed to finish over 18 mins especially as my wife and kids were there to see me. But 1st O40 made up for that.

Edit: I dont think I've been as tired after a race as I was with this one - totally wiped me for a few days

(4) 27th June - Irish Runner 5mile – 30:35 -

I had expectations that I’d run a decent time as the legs felt good despite this being my 3rd race in 10 days or so. I had taken it easy enough this week – running 3 days, but my clubmate only ran once this week – each to there own (he finished in 28:3x :confused: ).

Lined up near the start – a quick hello to some folks I knew, including FBOT and we were off.
    I knew after 800m that the legs weren’t as free and easy as they were in Dunboyne and that I would possibly struggle with later if the pace was quick.

I was watching the clock and was a tad disappointed when the 1st mile beeped in 5:39 – that’s 5k PB pace I thought………….

I slowed it down a bit – FBOT was on my shoulder, drafting as usual :P - I didn’t want to push the pace down the Khyber – mile 2 came around in 5:49 – still a tad too fast I guessed.

Up the hill at the Fort and felt ok, using the S Bends for recovery – Mile 3 came at 6:00 – which was ok.

Then I could feel the legs start to wobble, the head getting a bit dizzy.

I took some water and poured some over my head. The pace was dropping like a car out of fuel – sheesh, here we go again. 1.5m to go and I feel crap……think happy thoughts I was saying……..nope, none there!

As we approached the upper glen road, I as looking for any excuse to step off. But I could see Aero2k also slowing and FBOT hadn’t passed me at that stage, so they were obviously feeling it too. That kept me going.

Mile 4 was at 6:16 pace and I new I had to improve on that in the 5th mile to have any chance of hitting sub 30.
    As I hit the top of the UGR and turned, the legs were jelly and the head was slightly spinning – wtf. Aero2k was still in my sights but I hadn’t the energy to push on.
    I knew sub 30 was gone and stupidly gave up……..I would like to say that I could have pushed on, but I really don’t think I could have. The tank was empty.
    On the home straight FBOT came cruising by and I couldn’t respond, I just wanted the race to be over. Mile 5 was 6:37 :o

Came through in 30:35 – very disappointed given the 5m last month – but moreso disappointed by my lack of race strategy given the conditions.

Maybe 5:55 pace was the way to go from the start?
    That’s 2 races now where my pacing has hurt me – I’ll correct that in the next race which will probably be the Fingal 10k.

Again - delighted to say hello to a few boardsies.....including my very own stalker :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Welcome back !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

Good to see today and to see you back here even if it is only for a visit:)

They were three very good performance. Dunboyne was a decent chunk under 30. Was that a PB? I am suitably jealous.

Tough day at the office today but sure we can't have them all our own way. On the plus side you gave me something to chase and at least keep me semi-honest. Thanks.

Hopeful catch up with you again over the summer.

PS if you are referring to me as your stalker, don't flatter yourself I am not one for the St Tropez look:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

welcome back indeed! I saw you at the last turn before the finish and thought you looked strong and very much in control, funny how the exterior doesn't always match what someone is thinking or feeling on the inside!

FBOT01 wrote: »
    Good to see today and to see you back here even if it is only for a visit:)

They were three very good performance. Dunboyne was a decent chunk under 30. Was that a PB? I am suitably jealous.

Tough day at the office today but sure we can't have them all our own way. On the plus side you gave me something to chase and at least keep me semi-honest. Thanks.

Hopeful catch up with you again over the summer.

PS if you are referring to me as your stalker, don't flatter yourself I am not one for the St Tropez look:p

Dunboyne was indeed a PB, by 45 secs.

And no, I wouldn't consider you a stalker :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,084 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Welcome back :)
    Sounds like none of these are target races, so don't worry about getting the pacing wrong, you'll learn more from the odd mistake, just take the learnings and stick in the memory bank for the big ones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,483 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Nice going. Can't believe you got FBOTed though. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭aero2k

Hi Alan,

I wouldn't read too much into one disappointing result, (it was disappointing for me as well) particularly as you've had a few races in close succession. Sometimes you're able to really make yourself suffer, and sometimes you're not. I think I made the mistake of looking at the watch at mile 3 and being pleased with the average pace - I think I mentally relaxed after that instead of going flat out. I was surprised you didn't come flying past me at the top of the hill - I knew you were closing on me thanks to the cheer from your younger and even more beautiful clubmate.:D

Training update:

Been gradually doing a lot of reading on Boards and other blogs, so found the mojo to update.

Wont bore with all the details (just yet :) )

June 27: 5m Race - DCM Race series.

June 28th: 12m easy - last 6m 30s/mile faster than 1st 6. (silly goose)

Tues 30 June: 6.6m @ 7:47 pace - Have been doing an early(6:30am) 10k run each Tuesday to allow recovery for the Wednesday track session.

Wednesday 1st July: 4x(200/200/400) (35/35/70 ave for the reps)

The sets were continous. Finish the 200 and jog the diagonal across the grass back to the start and off again. 2-3 min in between sets.

Thurs 2nd July: 6.2m 7:47 pace - 3 stupid quick miles in here.

Sat 4th: 4x1km - (3:16/3:14/3:18/3:19)
    Jelly legs at the end. 3 min recovery was very generous though.

I'd like the coach to progress this by shortening the recovery.

Sun 5th: 14m @ 7:50

Tues 7th: 6m easy

Wed 8th 10.5m inc 5x5mins (slightly faster than 10k pace with 3m rec)
    Didn't do track session - went to Polo grounds myself for 5x5 min session.

Felt good doing this - maybe the recovery was too much? Drove through on the last one at greater than 5k pace.

Pace (5:51/ 5:53 / 5:51 / 5:52 / 5:34) - made sure I jogged the 3 min for all recoveries.

Glad I done this session rather than the track session.

Thurs 9th: 4 recovery.

I'm also doing a core/strength session every Monday / Thursday - doing this myself but am being religious about it.

Race plan:

Wed 15th: 1500 Graded Meet
    Sun 19th: Fingal 10k
    Fri 24th or Sun 26th: 5km either Donadea or BHAA

so 3 races in 10 days again - looking fwd to them. Will pace the 5k&10k carefully as I've made an a$$ of previous races going out too quick.

2 weeks hols in early Aug to top up the tan :) :pac:

Friday: Rest - Had a friend & her hubby over from Germany.........did I mention they had 9 month old twins?

Nice meal in the house with much wine consumed..................."they're great sleepers" we were told.

Sat 11th: Up at 8am after not much sleep and a bang of alcohol in the room, the 'great sleepers' didn't sleep well.

Club session was 1km reps. (5x1km)
    For some reason the coach is holding these at 4x1km reps - done at stupid pace with a longish recovery - the longish recovery allows the stupid pace :)
    This week the coach was away, so the person looking after the session told us - do these at 5k pace and we'll get 2-2.5 mins recovery. Lovely.

Reps went 3:21 / 3:21 / 3:16 / 3:09 - so much for 5km pace - and the recoveries were more like 3 mins.
    a few of us agreed to do a 5th rep at 10k pace - this rep turned out to be 3:30 - which is my about my 5km pace - this one felt very controlled and easy and was the only one done at the correct originally intended pace.

Done 3m warm down to bring the mileage to 9m for the session.

Brought the madra for a 90 min walk in the PP - nicely tired after this.

Sunday: 7.2m @ 7:39 pace
    Main intention of this run was to do 7m/1 hour of running and finish the week feeling refreshed rather than tired.
    Mission accomplished with this despite me sweating buckets by the end. T'was very arm this morning - coulda sworn my sweat was purple with all the wine I drank (again) on Sat night.

I want to set myself up for the 1500 on Wed & then for the 10k on Sunday - so will be just doing some short runs this week with plenty of strides.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Just catching up here. Nice 1500 time from last month. Might catch you at Santry on Wed. Will be heading along to watch.

• Advertisement

Monday: No running - core work - light stuff on legs, more core & upper Body.

Tuesday: 4m total - inc 6 strides & some drills

Wednesday: Graded Meets: 1500 C D C D

I entered into Grade D and after talking to some club mates made the decision to move to C.
    The thought process was that I would be somewhat competitive in C but the time might be better as I'd get pulled around.
    Had a chat with my coach and he recommended that I stay in D for now and gain confidence from a good placing.
    Went back and forward on this and finally agreed to stay in D.

Done warm up and strides and then learned there was a 20 min delay -

Finally made the start line and we were off.
    By the 1st bend I was leading, $hit - not where i wanted to be.
    I had hoped one of the young bucks in the race would lead off and give me something to chase (eeermmmmm.....that didn't sound right).

1st lap in 71 or so and I was still in the lead - next lap came around and 2:28 was called - so a slower lap, but I'm still there, leading away. I had no idea who was behind me and what any gap as. Before the race I had hoped to be through 800 in under 2:25.

We came to the bell and immediately I could sense someone on my shoulder, actually 3 people!
    As we passed 1200m (3:43 I think) I was over taken by 3 people and now in 4th. That's OK I thought - I didn't panic.

Coming to the final bend one of the 3 shot off, with another not too far behind him.
    I heard someone in the crowd shout 'Pump the Arms' at another lad, so thats what i done and found another gear.
    100m left and I busted a gut, taken the 3rd place guy and had the 2nd place guy in my sights.
    With about 30m to the line I went by him, still a good few seconds behind the winner.

I was Content with 2nd place and very happy with my final straight burst.
    The garmin time was 4:37 (possibly 4:38) and (hopefully)a 1-2 second PB.

Legs and lungs stung like I dont know what. The time was only 1-2 seconds faster than last time but the effort felt so much harder. maybe it was the final 100-150m push that got me?

I think if I had of been in C grade my time would have been a few seconds faster. I'd have gained a few seconds on the 1st 2.5 laps for definite.

Delighted to have done 2 of these this year.

2m warm down and the thoughts turn to Sundays 10k.

Advertisement