Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The main thing is keeping the main thing, the main thing

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Good write up, 1500m sounds like all manner of pain.

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭TRR_the_turd

great run, are you going to run master championships on the track?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

You're back? Only 126 pages and I'll catch up, as don't like skipping ahead on logs, so will I see you Sunday for Fingal 10km?

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭thewolf_ie

Good man!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

Well done, A. Good luck tomorrow. ENJOY!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

great run, are you going to run master championships on the track?

No plans - but never considered it till I read this! Might look into it.

aquinn wrote: »
    You're back? Only 126 pages and I'll catch up, as don't like skipping ahead on logs, so will I see you Sunday for Fingal 10km?
    I am, you will and you did :)

FBOT01 wrote: »
    Well done, A. Good luck tomorrow. ENJOY!!
    Thanks - I didn't :(

Fingal 10k: 39:15

Felt good going into this, I had taken it easy following the 1500 race.
    Woke up and had a decent brekkie and headed to swords. Done a decent warm up and slotted in pretty far back - couldn't get up front.
    Had a chat with TJ and seen aquinn warming up.

My plan was to run the 1st 2 miles conservatively and pick it up on mile 3. I was aiming for 36:30
    We set off and I stuck to my plan of running mile 1 at 5:55 pace - passed by Statts on the way.
    On mile 2 I knew this was going to be tough and felt the energy drain from me. $hit, not again.
    I have to get a handle on this. Mile 2 in 5:47.

Into mile 3 and I was doing a tempo run. No energy. 6:18. Stopped to get sick after the 5km mark - nothing came up except some bile. Not sure what brought this on.

Just done a tempo effort for the 5km home.

10k in 39:15.

Not dwelling on it - just writing it off. At least I'll be recovered to do Donedea 5k on Friday :)

Some great results from my club mates with 2 of them dipping under 36 mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭overpronator

Nice to have a quick chat today, forgot to congratulate you on the 1500!, was it still in the legs?

Nice to have a quick chat today, forgot to congratulate you on the 1500!, was it still in the legs?

great time today from you
    No, definitely not. just one of those things. I got to train my mind as well as my body methinks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

No plans - but never considered it till I read this! Might look into it.

So all those times I mentioned it to you, you were just zoned out? :o:(

• Advertisement

menoscemo wrote: »
    So all those times I mentioned it to you, you were just zoned out? :o:(

Nah - I really dont think I'd be competitive at it. I watched a lot of people (masters) in the C&B grades do much better times than me.
    I also dont think I'd enjoy the training - I like the long runs and longer reps. Some guys in the club do 800/1500 training and I think it would drive me insane :)

Nah - I really dont think I'd be competitive at it. I watched a lot of people (masters) in the C&B grades do much better times than me.
    I also dont think I'd enjoy the training - I like the long runs and longer reps. Some guys in the club do 800/1500 training and I think it would drive me insane :)

Well whatever you are currently doing is putting you in a place where your 1500 time in a different league to your longer PBs. Vdot Ranks your 4:37 as equivalent to a 2:44 Marathon and a 35:3x 10k.
    I reckon you would be better again over 800m.

Well whatever you are currently doing is putting you in a place where your 1500 time in a different league to your longer PBs. Vdot Ranks your 4:37 as equivalent to a 2:44 Marathon and a 35:3x 10k.

I know - I've been avoiding that statistic for a few days.............bloody calculators, what do they know :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Congrats on Wednesday's run. You're a middle distance runner trapped in a marathon runner's body.

I dunno, that seems way off. The IAAF tables would have it fairly close to just under 3. 4:37 is around 5 flat for the mile, which is similar to sub 3.

But there's real potential to improve greatly over 1500m with the right approach and more race practice.

Chivito550 wrote: »
    I dunno, that seems way off. The IAAF tables would have it fairly close to just under 3. 4:37 is around 5 flat for the mile, which is similar to sub 3.

But there's real potential to improve greatly over 1500m with the right approach and more race practice.

You know I don't trust those IAAF tables, we distance runners use Vdot and McMillan to compare. I know I am pretty close to sub 3 marathon but am nowhere near a sub 5 mile. Look at TRR the other day running a 5:01 track mile after a 2:34 Marathon (no doubt not in mile shape but still...) The problem with the scoring tables (IMO) is that they totally overrate marathon times as they are based on what the average Joe runs. The average Joe vastly under-performs in a marathon.

Anyway the point you are making is essentially the same as mine, if AMK can run such a 1500 off distance training then he must be a natural at the shorter stuff.....

You know I don't trust those IAAF tables, we distance runners use Vdot and McMillan to compare. I know I am pretty close to sub 3 marathon but am nowhere near a sub 5 mile. Look at TRR the other day running a 5:01 track mile after a 2:34 Marathon (no doubt not in mile shape but still...) The problem with the scoring tables (IMO) is that they totally overrate marathon times as they are based on what the average Joe runs. The average Joe vastly under-performs in a marathon.

Anyway the point you are making is essentially the same as mine, if AMK can run such a 1500 off distance training then he must be a natural at the shorter stuff.....

Agree on the last point, which is the most important part.

No way sub 5 equals 2:44 though. These McMillan converters look at what you CAN run, if you nail everything in your training over a different distance. IAAF is based on statistical data. It's not perfect but at least it is based on what people have run, rather than what they can run. You're right though, the marathon does seem a bit overrated on it though.

Bit of a catch up:

24th July: Ran the Donedea 5km - a great race with great organisation. Met Dave McM an UM there.
    The race followed the same pattern as my other races - felt ok for 2 miles then died in the last mile.
    Time of 18:36.
    Enjoyed it though and it reinforced the changes that I need to make with my training.

Time off:
    Took a week off totally from running and then went on hols to Rhodes, where I single handledly saved the Greek economy :)

While away, I ran every 2nd day - nothing more than 4-5 miles. The odd tempo or Fartlek was the only quality running.
    Managed to top a Strava segment a big b'stard of a hill, thanks to the former DrQ pointing it out to me.

Back home on Wednesday PM and done the following:

Thursday 13th: 1E+5St+1E - the steady miles were about 7:00 min/miles

Friday: 5.7m Recovery

Sat: 2WU/ 3 Tempo/ 2 CD Tempo miles (6:22/6:11/6:16)

Sun: 11m LSR - started running with the usual group - but the pace was too hot for me so I dropped back to another group and enjoyed the company. 11.2m @ 7:57

41m for the week - felt it afterwards!

The plan is to stop doing the constant V02max sessions with the club and focus doing more LT / Tempos / Steady runs / Hills with the intention of increasing endurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Bit of a catch up:

24th July: Ran the Donedea 5km - a great race with great organisation. Met Dave McM an UM there.
    The race followed the same pattern as my other races - felt ok for 2 miles then died in the last mile.
    Time of 18:36.
    Enjoyed it though and it reinforced the changes that I need to make with my training.

Time off:
    Took a week off totally from running and then went on hols to Rhodes, where I single handledly saved the Greek economy :)

While away, I ran every 2nd day - nothing more than 4-5 miles. The odd tempo or Fartlek was the only quality running.
    Managed to top a Strava segment a big b'stard of a hill, thanks to the former DrQ pointing it out to me.

Back home on Wednesday PM and done the following:

Thursday 13th: 1E+5St+1E - the steady miles were about 7:00 min/miles

Friday: 5.7m Recovery

Sat: 2WU/ 3 Tempo/ 2 CD Tempo miles (6:22/6:11/6:16)

Sun: 11m LSR - started running with the usual group - but the pace was too hot for me so I dropped back to another group and enjoyed the company. 11.2m @ 7:57

41m for the week - felt it afterwards!

The plan is to stop doing the constant V02max sessions with the club and focus doing more LT / Tempos / Steady runs / Hills with the intention of increasing endurance.

Great idea this. Your training had a lot of Vo2 max stuff in it which is great for putting the icing on the cake, but that's all it should be. Do a real solid block of MP/LT running, with some strides and hill reps for turnover and then tack on a few vo2 sessions and you'll be flying.

Monday : 5.5m easy - gentle run around the trails in the PP.

Tuesday: Feeling TBL's Buttocks

LT session: 2 wu/3x2k/2 CD (10k pace / 90s Rec)

I was slightly apprehensive about this - mainly because of the shorter recoveries.
    I normally do these in the Polo grounds, but the thoughts of doing 2 laps where I normally do 1 was off putting - so chose the Acres as the 2k would be a partial lap.

After a 2m WU and some strides, I set off.
    1st rep was fine - just at the end of the rep, I seen TBL with the artists formally known as DrQ & Ecoli.
    90s recovery felt ok for the 1st one.

On the 2nd rep I was approaching the lads from behind and couldn't resist a grope of TBL's buttocks - nothing untoward about it :), just a manly grope.
    I think the deer hiding in the trees heard his shout as I caught him unawares.

The 2nd rep was a bit better as I was going in the opposite direction and the wind was at my back for the long straight.
    After the 2nd rep, the 90seconds wasn't long enough - but stuck with it and set off on the 3rd rep.

I'd be chasing the lads again as they were ahead, so it gave me something to focus on - I resisted the temptation for another grope.
    The last 400 of the 3rd rep was tough, but I seen it through.
    2m jog home.

2k reps were 7:40/7:20/7:36 - (the 1st rep surprised me afterwards as I thought it was the quickest - maybe didn't press the button quick enough??)

Next week it progresses to 4x2km.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 785 ✭✭✭Notwork Error

What's the main thing for the rest of the year AMK? Are you sticking to the roads or XC?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,459 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

2k reps were 7:40/7:20/7:36 - (the 1st rep surprised me afterwards as I thought it was the quickest - maybe didn't press the button buttocks quick enough??)

FYP.

What's the main thing for the rest of the year AMK? Are you sticking to the roads or XC?

Definitely sticking to the roads (but may do the odd XC)

I was a bit disheartened with my races this summer year regarding how I felt - with the exception of a 5 miler and 2 1500 races, I felt I had no endurance. My last 5km race was a good minute slower than my PB last December, despite 5k specific training.

At this stage I'm only looking 8-9 weeks ahead though. My main aim is to give my aerobic base a good kick in the ar$e and do a decent 10k (possibly Longwood in mid Oct).

From there I'll build on that.

I had planned to do an April Marathon (Rotterdam or Manchester) but I'm considering getting myself into good 10m-HM shape and racing a few of these next year. This is still to be decided.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

My main aim is to give my aerobic base a good kick in the ar$e and do a decent 10k (possibly Longwood in mid Oct).

http://www.runwithcatherina.ie/

Another possible October 10k option for you.

Wednesday: 2e+2s+2e+2s

Plan called for 8 steady (75-80% HRM) but I didn't feel ready for this just yet, so I compromised with this run.

1st 2 steady miles were 7:08/7:09 and the last 2 steady miles were 7:16/7:25. The last 2 miles included Military hill and Upper Glen Road so the HR was high on these (155bpm)

Total: 8:42 @ 7:41 pace

This felt comfortable enough, but might change the route next time!

Thursday: 6x2 min hills (Khyber)

Plan called for 7x2 mins - but again, easing into it, I planned for 6.

Done these on the Khyber in the PP - the trick was to keep the recoveries quick enough (2 min at decent pace) to get far back down the hill.
    I managed to do 2 reps to the top of the climb then take a 3 min recovery back to the bottom.

(1) 2min 6:05 pace / 2 min rec 8:05 pace
    (2) 2min 6:10 pace / 3 min rec 7:30 pace
    (3) 2 min 6:18 pace / 2 min rec 8:24 pace
    (4) 2 min 6:06 pace / 3 min rec 8:00 pace
    (5) 2 min 5:58 pace / 2 min rec 9:20 pace
    (6) 2 min 6:07 pace

Sweating buckets by the end of it. Was only going to do 5 reps, but tricked myself into completing the 6th.
    Not too sure what impact the longer recovery will have on the 3rd and 4th reps - but on all the recoveries, the ave HR was 147-153 bpm.

total 7:17m @ 7:55pace

Friday: Rest day

Saturday: Had a great morning stewarding at the Frank Duffy 10 miler - I was chief bouncer moving people along at the finish area, so I got to meet most of you at the finish. Great performances all around.
    Long enough morning starting at 8:45, putting bariers in place, setting up the water/fruit etc - then watched the start of the race along with the leaders coming past the 5 mile mark. Great to see.

The start of the race is am amazing sight to see all the runners come towards you.

Also was at the finish line for the 1st 20 or so coming through - the finish of the race was a sprint finish between TF & SC - an amazing spectacle. Great to see smmoore & TRR so high up the finishers.

I was well motivated for my tempo run on Sat afternoon.

Ran 2m as a warm up, found the initial 800m of the tempo tough but soon settled in (didn't do any strides beforehand....note to self). I felt much better during this tempo than last weeks and the pace was creeping up on mile 2 & 3 - as I was going down Chesterfield, I didn't mind the faster pace and found it very comfortable.
    I resisted the urge to keep going - must stick to the plan - and ran the 2m or so back to the car.

Tempo miles (6:15 / 6:03 / 5:55/ + 35 sec) for an 18:50 5km solo tempo.
    I was thinking how 'challenged' I've felt at earlier races this year after a couple of miles, yet the last mile felt effortless at 5:55. One of those days. It was also only 14 seconds slower than my last 5km race - but today felt like a tempo, not a full on v02max effort.

Total miles: 7.5

Sunday: 11.1m @ 7:48 pace.

Done this solo as well - was up a bit late for the club run. Nice meander around the PP watching the Cycle part of the Dublin City Triathlon. Some amazing speed in there. An endless stream of bikes as I went from Military hill up to the Furze road.

Legs were a bit meh towards the end, but the added mileage and extra intensity this week should be telling.

Happy with how I'm feeling this week - happy with the training, I feel I'm making progress. Just need to hold the course and keep the focus.

Total mileage for this week: 47.4

Monday 24th: 5.5m @ 8:20 pace - recovery on the PP trails. Bit of stretching.

Tuesday 25th: 3x2k+1x1k (plan was 4x2k) @ 10k pace

Had to get out at 4ish for this one as Daughter#2 had a match and wifey was going out (yes - on a Tuesday....)
    So I had no choice but to set out in the rain and noticeable wind for this one.

I had completed last weeks similar session on the 15 Acres, but wanted a different route today given the conditions.
    Ran to Whites Gate (2m) as a warm up and set off down to the OS and around the Furze.

Unlike Saturdays Tempo run, this did not feel effortless and I was working from the 1st rep.
    Rep 1:Completed the 2km in 7:39 (6:07 pace) and if felt greater than 10k effort. Blustery in parts.

90 seconds recovery flew by and I was off again on the Furze, up Chesterfield and down the North road.
    Working Hard and the wind was in my face on the North road.
    Rep 2 in 7:35 (6:04 pace).

The 3rd rep was pure mind games to keep going as I went back up Chesterfield - promising myself that this was it - no 4th rep.
    Rep 3 in 7:30 (6:07)

At this stage, the rain had stopped and I took an additional 30 sec's on the recovery trying to goad myself into completing the rep.
    I agreed after much debate :) to split the difference and do 1k rather than 2k.

In hindsight I was right not to complete the full rep as pace was gone and form probably was going too.
    Rep 4: 1km in 4:00 (6:16).

Maybe 90 seconds is too little recovery at this stage in the plan??

Jogged home (2.3m) whilst feeling a blister on my foot get bigger and bigger. Damn the rain.
    Not too upset at not finishing the workout - I got plenty from it and 7km of hard running is a good return for the day that was in it.

9m @ 7:28 pace.

Over the last month I've done zilch/nada/nothing in terms of core work - so I've signed up for a 'runner specific' S&C class each Friday - the owner has put on this class for the MSB group, so we'll see how it goes.

I may need to amend my running plan based on how I feel after this class.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭Myles Splitz

Maybe 90 seconds is too little recovery at this stage in the plan??

Saw this on your log last week and was reluctant to say anything

Personally I think 90 seconds us way too short for that intensity unless you are in competition phase (i.e last 2-3 weeks before target race using it as a peaking tool rather than a race)

I would say 2.30-3 min is much more appropriate recovery to still get great gains.

Saw this on your log last week and was reluctant to say anything

Personally I think 90 seconds us way too short for that intensity unless you are in competition phase (i.e last 2-3 weeks before target race using it as a peaking tool rather than a race)

I would say 2.30-3 min is much more appropriate recovery to still get great gains.

Many thanks for that, makes perfect sense when you put it like that - you know I value your opinion.

Don't be so reluctant in future if something seems off to you (or anyone else reading this) - isn't this why we use this online tool.

I'm not following a club plan from a club coach - rather an off the shelf plan focused on endurance (link) - so all opinion is welcome.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭Myles Splitz

Many thanks for that, makes perfect sense when you put it like that - you know I value your opinion.

Don't be so reluctant in future if something seems off to you (or anyone else reading this) - isn't this why we use this online tool.

I'm not following a club plan from a club coach - rather an off the shelf plan focused on endurance (link) - so all opinion is welcome.

Personally that plan has very little lower intensity stuff for me and I would probably change the steady runs to easy runs however I see that they have a step back week after 3 hard so it could just be a case where the length of the plan is designed at aggressively overloading the body with step back weeks for adaptation.

The sessions themselves looks generally fine to me however and should elicit good response but with that much intensity you don't want to flog things or push beyond correct levels as it can be walking a bit of a tight rope in terms of keeping the body in tact.

Whats the goal race?

Advertisement