Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The main thing is keeping the main thing, the main thing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

How time flies when your not having fun. :eek:

The niggle in my calf as noted above, prevented me running Rathfarnham and continues to niggle me right up to today.

Bit of a break through last week as I ran 4 out of 5 days - no more than 5 miles each time (recovery pace) and doing plenty of stretching.
    No strength work as of yet, but I must check with my ST on getting into that this week.

I'm planning a spring marathon, most likely Manchester 'cos its short I know the terrain.
    Not too sure if I'll make Jingle bells this year - cant see myself doing any speedwork for the next 2 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Bahanaman

What's this about Manchester being short?! I'm thinking of having a look at this also. I've a history with short marathons that I'd rather not repeat :D

Bahanaman wrote: »
    What's this about Manchester being short?! I'm thinking of having a look at this also. I've a history with short marathons that I'd rather not repeat :D

Its the most accurately measured, certified at 26.2 short course you'll find :p

I done it in '14, with the few out & backs it measures as 26.1 on the Garmin, so you get a lot of people saying its short.

But its certified as accurate.

Its a nice course with good support along 90% of the route.
    Its not congested, which minimises the weaving in & out, making it shorter :)

AND you get to pi$$ on the walls of Old Trafford.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭Beef

AND you get to pi$$ on the walls of Old Trafford.

Whatever about the length of the course, this is the stand out selling point.
    Good to see you back!

Update:
    Rather than go along with more physio etc, I've bitten the bullet and am getting a scan on Thursday.
    I'd rather be doing the right rehab than possibly exacerbating the situation.

looks like my proposed marathon plan is going to have me start from a zero'ish base.
    What I don't want to do is chase fitness, that's what got me in this situation - so I'll review my plans as time goes on.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Shame to hear that Alan, injury can be incredibly frustrating. Take the time to get yourself sorted.

Injury update:

A massive 2 miles ran this week - mainly as a mental refresher. Leg was sore during and after.

Had the MRI on Thursday and it came back clear. WTF!! - No muscle or bone injury evident.

I went to the doc again on Friday morning and he recommended a cortizone injection.
    He reckons its very localised inflammation on the fascia, this wouldn't be evident on the mri - and its obviously not responding to conventional rehab either (7 weeks).
    I thought long and hard about it, but his logic was sound, he wasn't making the call lightly either. Had the shot on Friday evening.

Not going to run for a couple of days - apparently you need to rest between 4-10 days after the shot - depending on the extent of the original injury. Here's hoping this works!

Post Cortisone:

Friday: Cortisone shot

Wednesday: 4.3m @ 8:54 pace - maybe a mile too far - some tenderness afterwards and was a bit down as a result.

Friday: 3.1m @ 8:19 pace - felt much better. Kept it to 5k and iced afterwards.

Sunday: 4.5m @ 7:20 - felt great, wanted to run all day. Very difficult to keep the pace down as I was like a child at Christmas, you know the one, whos been given a new leg :)

Stupidly kept the pace high, doing a sub 7 min mile at the end, despite the voice in my head shouting at me telling me I was stupid. There was no pain though.
    About 2 hours after the run, the leg felt a little tender, but not too bad.

Monday: Returned to the club gym session, but kept it very gentle on the leg stuff.

Tuesday: 6m @ 7:47 - didn't want to run on Tuesday as I was scared the leg would be sore.
    Run went fantastic with no pain/discomfort before, during or after.

Still felt like I hadn't run in a while, the running muscles are getting used to it again.

I'll run on Thursday and then maybe try Sat & Sun - just easy runs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

great news, welcome back :)

Still felt like I hadn't run in a while, the running muscles are getting used to it again.

So why are you running your runs so quick, slow down a bit and let the running muscles adapt to running again. Your in no rush to get anywhere, slowing down will benefit you in the long run. Now you can tell me to shove it & what would I know and you"d be right. But I do know running to quick coming back from an injury can lead to another injury. Good to see you back to btw.

• Advertisement

tang1 wrote: »
    So why are you running your runs so quick, slow down a bit and let the running muscles adapt to running again. Your in no rush to get anywhere, slowing down will benefit you in the long run. Now you can tell me to shove it & what would I know and you"d be right. But I do know running to quick coming back from an injury can lead to another injury. Good to see you back to btw.

youthful enthusiasm :D

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Back in Black

+1 great to see you back at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

youthful enthusiasm :D

Dream on :p

Glad to see you are on the mend and back at it.

Wed: Rest: Core work & leg raises.

Thur: Sneaky 7m @ 7.56 while America gave thanks.

Fri: Rest

Sat: 4m (7:41 ave) - slight Fartlek for 1m (something like 30s on/off) - lashing rain but loved it. Felt sorry for the dog :)
    More core work & leg raises.

Sun: 7.2m @ 7:42 - stingy rain and very blustery for a bit. Felt great afterwards.

24 miles for the week - highest since mid september.
    I'm happy with the leg and how its holding up.

I'm still icing it most days, but its not sore during the runs or afterwards. But I know there's still some slight inflammation there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Your calf issue sounds uncannily similar to mine, though I haven't being having pain during runs. Not lately anyway. Good to see the injection worked for you.
    hope the next few weeks go well for you.

Finished the week on 20 miles - done a small speed session, 1,2,3,2,1 mins and a couple of 4 milers very slow.

I'm still managing the inflammation through icing and doing the rehab work.

I could keep running and managing it and it might be ok in a couple of weeks, or 3 weeks or 5 weeks.
    Each week I always ask myself would I be in this position if I just stopped running & trying to run?

So, despite being in a much better place that I was 3-4 weeks ago - Ill take a 10-14 day break and see how it is then.

its a bit mad really - when I couldn't run, I was trying to run.
    Now that I can run, I decide to stop running :)

Took the best part of 2 weeks off which suited fine as work overtook my life for a couple of weeks.

Done 2 short slow runs last week (Sat & Sun) 4m & 3m and things felt fine.
    Was tempted to run on Monday as I was off work, but didn't want to push things.
    Done 10k today on the trails in the PP - very mucky and got destroyed, but it felt fan fcuk!ng tastic.

Right now, fitness wise I feel possibly in the worst shape since I started running.
    Any plans I had for a spring marathon are well gone, my entry for Dungarvan 10 wont be used (must check if they let me put it off for a year??).
    I'm not making any plans until I have a few weeks of running under the belt and am doing some regular speedwork.

Wed 23rd Dec: 4m with the madra - still being a bit cautious with the leg. Done some single leg raises and ran up the stairs 2 at a time x 12 reps as per my coaches instructions (my family think I'm mad)

Sat 26th: After 2 days off, the body was rearing to go, so I set off with no idea of pace or destination, headed to the PP, done a little loop around the visitor center and back home.
    Delighted to see 7.55m @ 7:41 on the watch. Longest run since September. Added in some core work...............ok.... I planked for 1 min :)

Sunday 27th: After a night in the pub, a few club colleagues were meeting at 8am for a few miles. I dragged my slightly hungover a$$ out of bed and joined them. I had thought 5-6 miles would be enough, but felt great and finished up with 11.2 miles done (@8:07).
    At this stage it's been about 3 weeks since I've had any leg issues, so that was confirmation that my issue seems to have gone away.

Monday: Rest day - more leg excercises and some real core work.

Tuesday 29th: 16 clubmates & I descended on the Curragh to visit a clubmate who lives down there and done a fantastic loop of the Curragh Camp. Great feed afterwards.
    8.76m @ 8:06 across some beautiful countryside - an amazing surface to run on.

Wednesday 30th: 3.3m easy with the dog.

Thursday 31st: Final run of the year - 7.36m around the PP @7.47 pace.
    A few trees knocked down but it was a beautiful morning.
    I took the opportunity to run by the 2 spots were two fellow runners passed away in recent years at the DCM race series events, stopped and had a few words at both - really made me appreciate being able to run, despite any injury woes lately.

So - that's 2015 done and dusted.
    On the surface, running wise, 2015 seems to have been a poor return for the effort I put into it, but when I think a bit more about it, I learned so much about what works for me and what doesn't work for me and had some good performances along the way.

The highlights were:
    PB at 1500m (& 2nd place)
    PB at 4m in Dunboyne
    PB at 5m in Dunboyne (The highlight of my year)
    1st O40 at Castleknock 5k
    PB at 10k in KClub.

2016 will be a better year - here's hoping I can stay injury free and attack all my PB's

• Registered Users Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Duanington

Good to see the progress AMK - all the best for 2016

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

The highlights were: PB at 1500m (& 2nd place) PB at 4m in Dunboyne PB at 5m in Dunboyne (The highlight of my year) 1st O40 at Castleknock 5k PB at 10k in KClub.

Own personal stalker achievement too.
    Great leg is ok. Happy New Year.

• Advertisement

Friday 1st: Rest & recovery........

Sat 2nd: 1st session since September, but I took it easy.

12 x Popes cross steps + 2.6k Tempo (last 1k up the Khyber) + 6x 20s strides.
    Not a difficult session on paper, but as it was my 1st in a while, it totally wiped me.
    I didn't get splits for each segment, but up the Khyber - the last bit was very tough.
    Glad to get a session done all the same.

Sunday 3rd: 8m at 7:33 pace.

Didn't make it out for the club run as the Younger King had Dub GAA trials at 8:30......Jaysus........

Went out at a later and more respectable time (i.e. when the rain stopped) and realised I forgot my watch. So put on Strava on the Phone and off I went - not checking the phone till the end.
    Was happy (but not surprised) to see an average pace of 7:33/mile for 8 miles.
    I pushed the last mile at 6:42 and it felt good.

Iced etc afterwards just in case.

Over the last few weeks I've put on 5-6lbs - a mixture of not running too regularly & over indulgence in food & drink (ok, mainly drink) over the festive period. Looking forward to loosing this in the coming weeks!!

35 miles for last week - delighted with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,459 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Fair play to the young lad. The Dubs are known for early-morning training. You'll be screwed if he makes the squad!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Murph_D wrote: »
    Fair play to the young lad. The Dubs are known for early-morning training. You'll be screwed if he makes the squad!

Yeah, but it will only be one run in a few years when he's collecting him from Coppers and bringing him straight to training :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Back in Black

Fairly sure it's his young lass :pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,459 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Even better. The Lady Dubs need all the help they can get!

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    Yeah, but it will only be one run in a few years when he's collecting him from Coppers and bringing him straight to training :pac:
    Fairly sure it's his young lass :pac::pac:
    Even better. The Lady Dubs need all the help they can get!

yep - its the bigger little lady - whatever happens, she's got great experience from it this year.

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    Coppers

Above all else, keep her out of here, trust me I know what i'm talking about!!

Monday 4th: All quiet on the work front, so took the opportunity to leave early and get a good 7 mile trail run in the P.Park.
    Some of the trails were very sloppy, but it suited as I wanted to keep the pace down.

I hap planned on doing a recovery run today and a MLR on Tuesday, but swapped them around to ensure I'm ready for the faster training in Santry on Wednesday.

7.3m@8.48 pace

Tuesday 5th: 3 days in a row running - haven't done 4 in a row yet so took a rest day - small bit of core.

Wed 6th: Club Session in Santry.

Coach was at pains to tell us that its still early Jan. - No point peaking too early - Strength 1st then speed.
    He told us that there was 7 components to the session and he'd only tell us the next one after we completed one.
    I reckon this is his way of keeping us controlled.

I was a bit worried about the calf, so was going to keep with the middle pack.
    Horrible conditions with rain and a lot of wind on one of the straights.

200 - 38
    600 - 2:03
    900 - 3:16
    400 - 1:21
    800 - 2.57
    200 - 37
    600 - 2:01
    (Rec was 1-2 min depending on the rep)

I was happy to finish the session out - I thought I'd be worse off, but was happy with how I felt.
    Looking at my reps from this stage last year - my 800's averaged 2:42, so I'll use this as a target to be at by early Feb.

Thursday 7th: 7m easy @ 8:18 pace.
    Nice handy one from my house, took in a bit of the park and back home.

Friday 8th: Rest day - small bit of core work.

• Advertisement

Sat: Club session - As the coach was in Edinburgh watching the XC, he left word in advance that the session was the same as last weeks.
    As I took Friday off and was feeling fairly good, I ran down to the PP and ran home.

3.5m warm up.
    16 times up & down the Popes Cross steps - felt fairly ok this week - took roughly 5 mins.
    1.62m tempo finishing up the Khyber took about 10 mins.
    6x20s strides - last week felt tough, this week felt ok.
    3m Warm down.

Total mileage was 10.14m

Hopefully he ups the ante next week as the lads who weren't injured recently wanted more of a workout.

Sunday.
    GAA trials again this week meant I missed the club run, so set off later for a run.
    As the legs felt good & I hadn't got the 'constraints' of the club run - the aim was to do 4m Steady (between 7:00-7:30) in the middle of an easy run.
    I planned to only do 7 miles in order to manage the mileage (#10% rule) but I felt good enough during it so pushed it out.

The run felt good and although I felt I was working hard enough for a 2nd mile of 7:38, the next 6 were around 7 min miles (hard but doable) and the last 2-3 while slower were up hill on Military & Upper Glen Road, so the effort felt the same.
    Very happy with this run (apart from the bad chaffing :( )

11.4m @ 7:24

A tad under 42m for the week over 5 days running, with 50% of this over 2 days - about 5miles more than I planned for the week, so I'll take a run free day tomorrow.
    No issues with the leg, but I'm still managing it with ice etc after runs.

I think I might start looking at some short term racing targets.

Advertisement